Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Sep 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1102042)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Petit Le Mans -- Practice & Quals Thread

Just thought I'd start two threads for discussing the upcoming action at Petit this week...

The other thread will be the "Race Thread"...

I'm looking forward to the action...and all of the news from Road Atlanta this week....

Enjoy!!!!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Sep 2004, 15:06 (Ref:1102049)   #2
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When is the first on-track action ?
Old 20 Sep 2004, 15:13 (Ref:1102055)   #3
Shady#30
Rookie

Shady#30 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't be there until thursday night and all this hype is killing me. I'll never make it through three days of classes...

LC2guy- alot of the teams have already been on the track in the last couple days, I think the first official practice is Wednesday afternoon.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 15:17 (Ref:1102056)   #4
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
D'oh
Old 20 Sep 2004, 15:18 (Ref:1102057)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The first "offical" session is Wednesday, from 12:35 - 2: 35 p.m. local time in Atlanta...practices also will take place during the day on Thursday as well...

Night practice for ALMS will be from 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. on Thursday....

Qualifying is on Friday from 2:40 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Atlanta time

Old 20 Sep 2004, 17:27 (Ref:1102206)   #6
PRODRIVEALLSTAR
Rookie

PRODRIVEALLSTAR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the zytek will get the pole , but it wont be reliable enough for the overall win.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1102251)   #7
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I think Dyson will be on pole. Dyson, Champion, Zytek, Dyson, Champion.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 18:36 (Ref:1102267)   #8
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I agree about Dyson on pole, go Butch, James and Andy! I think they have been waiting all year for this one.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 18:43 (Ref:1102272)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
It'll be Dyson vs. the Audis for the Pole at Petit....with Zytek in the hunt....

But I think Zytek will be a major handful for the rest of the field when they go to Laguna....

Now to go out on a limb.....

With a good run, AutoCon could make the Top Five in the grid...

To do it, they have to beat one Dyson and the Intersport Lola B160, or Creation, if they are not up to the speeds we anticipate for them...

This is a do-able task for the team...I think they are the Dark Horse for the weekend....

But I guess you already figured that out from my "signature" below....

Old 20 Sep 2004, 20:04 (Ref:1102354)   #10
Shady#30
Rookie

I'm going to go with the 3-man Dyson car on the pole and Intersport outlasting them all for the win
Old 20 Sep 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1102445)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AutoCon will need A LOT of luck and a near perfect run to get a top-five grid slot.

Last year Intersport ran a 1:14.930 at Petit with the Lola B160-Judd combo. Intersport's Riley & Scott MK3C-Elan ran a 1:15.550 while American Spirit ran a 1:17.863 in the Riley & Scott MK3C-Lincoln. At Sebring this year Intersport qualified with a 1:51.288 while AutoCon ran a 1:56.817, albeit with the Lincoln again.

Intersport's Riley couldn't outpace their Little Lola, and they had experience with the Elan engine. AutoCon have a lot of pace to find. And yes, I do understand that AutoCon have not run the Elan yet. BUT, they have little time in the car this year and have not raced the Elan yet. Racing is all about preparation. I expect them to be in Row 4.

Last edited by jhansen; 20 Sep 2004 at 21:39.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 21:48 (Ref:1102460)   #12
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Now to go out on a limb.....

With a good run, AutoCon could make the Top Five in the grid...
While I am pleased as punch that the AutoCon R&S is back (and I wish at least one of the Intersport R&S's had found a run at Petit also), I would say that the AutoCon entry will get beaten on qualifying by all the other P1 cars, and also Mircale's Courage.

In their only other run this year, both R&S cars at Sebring, one of which was Intersport's with the Elan (which was slower by a bit then the AutoCon entry) were an average of about 4.5 seconds off the pace of the Lola AER's and Intersport's Lola Judd, and honestly Sebring would seem to have favored the R&S's advantages in torque and straightline running. Road Atlanta's higher percentage of lap spend in cornering should well favor the lighter cars, including the Courage and Zytek, as well as the Lola's.

AutoCon may have a Elan now, but we haven't heard of any testing program at all, and they certainly haven't been racing, so they are at the bottom of a curve.

But, regardless, it will be great to have their thundering V8 as part of the tapestry of the race, along with the Corvette's. Too bad Larbre isn't bringing the Panoz back home too.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 00:35 (Ref:1102546)   #13
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Scary sort of parallel universe, and I must type really slowly (saying nothing about accuracy).

I agree with you jhansen.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 13:47 (Ref:1102892)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Keep in mind a couple of things....

I did say I was going out on a limb...a limb that I could be sawing off behind myself....

But a couple of points worth noting...

1. Road Atlanta is better suited to the R&S than Sebring...the R&S has great mechanical grip and is considered a high downforce chassis...The long straights at Sebring might be suited to the Elan engine, but they are not really as suited to the R&S as Road Atlanta's need for good grip and cornering...

So I respectfully disagree with you on that point, skycafe...

2. Realistically, if the Audis, Dysons and Creation run the times we would expect from them, AutoCon would not be in the Top Five....

but I do believe that "realistic" times for the AutoCon team would be in the low to mid 1:15s with Dunlop tires and the Elan engine....that is not a stretch by any means....AutoCon has not raced this season, but they have a full year of set-up data from when they were with American Spirit....including a book of practice and race notes from Road Atlanta from last year...

and if they have productive practice sessions Wednesday and Thursday, a qualifying time in the high 1:14s can be realistically achieved...

Sure...the common prediction would say that they won't be in the Top Five, but if a Dyson car doesn't have a good session due to mechanical or electical issues (which seen to haunt the Lola AER package), and Intersport continues to be plagued byt the bad luck they have had virtually all season, AutoCon will make the Top Five....

Concerning Intersport's Riley effort, they ran the car in five events...Road Atlanta, Miami, Petit, the LM 1000K and Sebring....their experience with R&S set-ups is less than half that of AutoCon, which had a full season of set-up experience when they were part of American Spirit....

In 2002, the Matthews R&S qualified in the Top Five...with Elan poer and Dunlop tires...

Granted, they had Marc Goossens behind the wheel....but that chassis/engine/tire combination is capable of running in the Top Five in quals...

I'm not saying that AutoCon WILL make the Top Five in quals, but that they are capable of doing so....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 21 Sep 2004 at 13:51.

Old 21 Sep 2004, 15:35 (Ref:1102966)   #15
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
I think our friends on the other side of the pond are going to be completely stunned by the Creation DBA. Sure, its not this years car, like Jota and the black works car, but its not far off and the drivers are real stars. I expect them to be on Pole comfortably. However, in the race, i think the experience and skill of the Champion and Dyson teams, coupled with suspect reliability for the DBA will see an American home win. Just my opinion of course.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1102971)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by LC2guy
I think our friends on the other side of the pond are going to be completely stunned by the Creation DBA. Sure, its not this years car, like Jota and the black works car, but its not far off and the drivers are real stars. I expect them to be on Pole comfortably. However, in the race, i think the experience and skill of the Champion and Dyson teams, coupled with suspect reliability for the DBA will see an American home win. Just my opinion of course.
I won't be stunned at all.....

Not only have I been very impressed with Creation this season, but also with the Zytek, which IMO, is ideally suited to North American road course configurations....

The package has proven this season that it can race and compete head-to-head with the Audis....

and a Pole Position would not surprise me in the least....nor would a podium finish....

if the car can hold up for the full distance on the reliability side of the issue...because there is no doubt that Creation has the speed to run up front....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 21 Sep 2004 at 15:44.

Old 21 Sep 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1102999)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wont be stunned at all if Creation is on pole for Petit. That car is wicked fast and the drivers are even faster. I expect one heck of a dogfight for pole between Creation, the two Champion Audis and the #16 Dyson car.

And I agree, for this race, Creation probably wont win. But a podium is not out of the question. BUT, it's gonna be on at Laguna! The DBA-Zytek package is just made for that circuit. I wont be stunned if they pull off pole AND victory at Laguna.

And Tim, I definitely hear your points. But I think it's highly unlikely that the Dyson cars will have enough trouble in practice to hamper their qualifying effort. And I wont be stunned if the Intersport Lola-Judd out-paces the Riley either. I just hope AutoCon can avoid any trouble and they will be rewarded with a solid finish. But, their lack of race experience this year will hurt them even more in the race.

With that said, I do applaud them and sincerly thank them for bringing the car back out and wish them the best in the final two races. The thumping sound of the Elan will be appreciated by all!

Last edited by jhansen; 21 Sep 2004 at 16:17.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 17:52 (Ref:1103087)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I think Creation will be the car to beat at Laguna....

As for AutoCon, we'll see how it all shakes out this week...

Even if they are in 7th (as the slowest LMP1) or 8th (with the Courage C65 ahead of them on the grid as well) to start the event, that team will run a good pace in order to complete the event...just like they did at Sebring...and they will have a good, strong finish...

I expect them to be there at the end....the drivers seem to take good care of the car and they run hard, but smart...

Keep in mind that they have finished all three of the long-distance races that have competed in (Sebring twice and Petit last year) and the finishing place has improved with each event...

7th at Sebring was a good run for them with Lincoln power....

I think the Elan will help them to be even more competitive at Petit this time around...

Wish I could be there for the race...but I'm coaching this weekend, and there is no way I would get back in time for our game on Sunday....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 21 Sep 2004 at 17:54.

Old 21 Sep 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1103148)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Question:

I know that the ALMS or the IMSA sites will have Live Timing & Scoring for Practices, Quals, and the Race....

But Wednesday's ALMS sessions are listed as a "Test Session" instead of formal practice...

Will there be on-line live timing and scoring for that afternoon session???

Please advise...

Old 21 Sep 2004, 18:59 (Ref:1103166)   #20
Shady#30
Rookie

Which qualifying format are they using? I hadn't even thought about it til now...
Old 21 Sep 2004, 19:36 (Ref:1103214)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The schedule lists 2:40-3:00 for production, and 3:10-3:30 for protos.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 21 Sep 2004, 19:40 (Ref:1103221)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...FS=ALMS-LEMANS

Add Melanie Paterson to the driver's list for AutoCon.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 21 Sep 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1103223)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
She drove for American Spirit (with Mr. Lewis & Mr. Drissi) in last year's Petit, didn't she???

Old 21 Sep 2004, 19:48 (Ref:1103228)   #24
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Yep.

-Bill James
Old 22 Sep 2004, 00:58 (Ref:1103436)   #25
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Road Atlanta is better suited to the R&S than Sebring...the R&S has great mechanical grip and is considered a high downforce chassis...The long straights at Sebring might be suited to the Elan engine, but they are not really as suited to the R&S as Road Atlanta's need for good grip and cornering...

So I respectfully disagree with you on that point, skycafe...the common prediction would say that they won't be in the Top Five, but if a Dyson car doesn't have a good session due to mechanical or electical issues (which seen to haunt the Lola AER package), and Intersport continues to be plagued byt the bad luck they have had virtually all season, AutoCon will make the Top Five....
I agree with you about the R&S, it is a car I much admire, however, the Lolas and the DBA both have steller chassis and aero that is equally as steller, and has been continually developed. The lighter weight improves braking as well as grip in cornering, all things equal.

Sadly, I agree with the potential for some sort of melt down with the Lola teams, but hopefully not, and it may be a wildly sentimental wish, but I would love to see the Dyson 16 car take the race win.

One last thing about AutoCon, if you were them, wouldn't you focus in the practice and qualifying sessions on getting the race set up honed to a fine point? Why risk the equipment on a qualifying effort that really doesn't have a benifit? Gaining a postion or two on the grid won't help, but getting the team settled into a race pace set up would pay off.