Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 8 Dec 1999, 15:29 (Ref:4952)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
It seems there may be a slight problem for Le Man next year..the track inspection has been moved forward because there is concern over sections of the circuit and the organizers want to have plenty of time to fix possible problems..
the main concern seems to bethe hump at the end of the mulsanne straight and the humos between mulsanne corner and indianapolis corner where the mercs flipped this year.
this is likely to be only a slight problem and im sure they will get things fixed well before the meet.
Old 8 Dec 1999, 17:21 (Ref:4953)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's hope the track inspection goes Ok, one of the glories of Le Mans is that the cars race down a piece of road which you drove done the previous day, with all its bumps and imperfections. If the ACO (Auto Club de L'ouest, the organisers) have to pay to resurface several miles of tarmac to race course standards then some of the magic will be lost. (And the tickets prices will go up... )

I'd have thought everything will be OK as it was obviously only a setup problem with the Mercs which made them flip. (Aledgedly, IMHO etc.)
Old 8 Dec 1999, 21:33 (Ref:4954)   #3
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The humps are one thing that they might have to chance. But more likely it wil be increasing the run off area at tetre-rouge, that is where v/d Poele went off this year.
Old 9 Dec 1999, 10:45 (Ref:4955)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JC_NL,

Any idea how they will change Tetre Rouge?, from memory they can't move the Armco and the wall behind it any further back as the road is the other side of it. This would then leave the only option to move the track and spectator banking inwards, which would be expensive and time consuming....
Old 10 Dec 1999, 14:45 (Ref:4956)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I dont know the exact layout of this section as ive never been there but from what i have read on the matter increased run off areas is what they are thinking of..but if the room is not there as you say it will be interesting to see what happens...allthough if you think back to Imola after Senna's crash they couldnt move the wall because there is a river behind it so they modified the circiut...I have been wondering if this is what they might be planning for the tetra rouge section at Le Man
Old 10 Dec 1999, 15:41 (Ref:4957)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If there is no room for a proper runoff area, then the approach to that area must be changed to slow the cars down to an acceptable speed. This may be what they are considering.
Old 12 Dec 1999, 00:24 (Ref:4959)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I agree Guy ..I hate what they have done to Imola it has totally wrecked the tambarello curve..but what else can they do?
it is a shame that all over the world the best tracks have to modify some great corners..Im glad they came up with some common sense with Eau Rouge at spa but there is to many silly little chicanes all over the place that dont really offer greater passing oportunities but unless they come up with something better there seems to be no other option
Old 12 Dec 1999, 09:47 (Ref:4958)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Please, not another chicane
Old 12 Dec 1999, 14:08 (Ref:4960)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
I seem to recall that Radio Le Mans were suggesting the Van Der Poele's Nissan didn't touch the gravel before it hit the armco, perhaps the graveltrap could be sloped upwards to prevent this - therefore making the corner 'safer'.

Also, the spare land/spectator area on the approach to Tertre Rouge is very narrow as it is squeezed between the public road one side and some allotments the other, the only space for a chicane would be were the Bugatti Circuit turns off, this might be too far back...?
Old 12 Dec 1999, 14:43 (Ref:4961)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Im gonna have to try to check this out a bit more.
Can anyone suggest a site where i can look at a current map of the circuit that may help us with some possibilities at this section of the track?
Old 13 Dec 1999, 00:52 (Ref:4962)   #11
JUDGE
Rookie

JUDGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus
i think there is a map on the ACO`s site at:- http://www.club-arnage.com/
Old 13 Dec 1999, 10:00 (Ref:4963)   #12
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Spot the deliberate mistake by The Judge

The ACO are really at http://www.lemans-aco.com there is a section with photos of every corner.

Club Arnage as mentioned by Judge does have a good Ordnance Survey type map of the area...

(Editted to add picture)

[This message has been edited by Guy Humpage (edited 13 December 1999).]
Old 13 Dec 1999, 14:44 (Ref:4964)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
ok so this is the corner giving us all the trouble...doesnt look that bad from this angle..I am guessing that behind the trees is the public road.
What kind of speeds at this section are we talking about?
for starters maybe they could (at the risk of upsetting a few greenies) lop the trees down perhaps move the fence back as far as they can and possibly make it a padded armco
im only guessing at all of this but I would say if you got out of shape there that fence is gonna hurt...anyone elso got any ideas??
Old 13 Dec 1999, 15:07 (Ref:4965)   #14
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart

Isn't it possible to sent an email to the ACO and ask them what the problem is?

There is a big chance that they wont tell it but at least it is tried. I dont know the adress otherwise i would have done it myself.
Old 14 Dec 1999, 02:37 (Ref:4966)   #15
JUDGE
Rookie

JUDGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

OOOps sorry everyone, i`ll put that down to working late and being cream crackered & thanks Guy for sorting things out.
I can`t think of a solution for that corner yet,but dont you all think it`s a shame that the trend is to alter the tracks rather than re-educating the drivers to take a safer line??
Old 14 Dec 1999, 10:17 (Ref:4967)   #16
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Judge,

No worries, I don't think anyone spotted your mistake

I don't think re-education would work, when was the last time a race driver ever listened to stuff like that?

Anyway, wasn't Van Der Poele's accident caused by the throttle sticking open?
Old 14 Dec 1999, 13:24 (Ref:4968)   #17
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Drivers will always look for the fastest line through any corner no matter what because that is what they are paid to do..altering your line may actually cause the corner to become even more dangerous..I really think todays drivers are very skillfull and it is the track that need to be change in someway for the safety of both drivers and spectators
Old 1 Jan 2000, 00:42 (Ref:4969)   #18
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
was just wondering if anyone has heard any more info on this subject...I havent really looked around yet ..so I guess Im off to do that now .
Old 7 Jan 2000, 19:47 (Ref:4970)   #19
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
I found an email adress and i have send them an email but there was respons.
Old 19 Jan 2000, 02:31 (Ref:4971)   #20
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
A press release has been issued on the events at Le man 1999 which gives us a vague idea of what is being planned for the Le man track.
ive posted this in a seperate topic..so go check out ANSWERS..sort of
Old 2 Dec 2001, 22:12 (Ref:181436)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
Also, the spare land/spectator area on the approach to Tertre Rouge is very narrow as it is squeezed between the public road one side and some allotments the other, the only space for a chicane would be were the Bugatti Circuit turns off, this might be too far back...?
This is a weird one to resurrect, I know (I've been catching up on some of the old but nevertheless very entertaining posts), but are you psychic Guy - or did you know something we didn't way back then?

(Chicane (well, small esses) at Bugatti Circuit turn off for 2002)