Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 14 Dec 2006, 05:08 (Ref:1790287)   #1
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Most underrated Le Mans car.

My Vote is for the Rondeau M379/382 Cosworth-Ford. The only LM winner that was basically built entirely( at least the chassis) in the driver's/team owner's backyard( granted, this is oversimplification, but Jean Rondeau didn't have Porsche's resources, or for sure those or Pescarolo, or for damn sure Audi of the present day). Could someone also give me some technical specs on these cars-there seems to be little info on them.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1790816)   #2
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Does anyone have one that they'd like to post?
Old 14 Dec 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1790830)   #3
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does it have to have won?
Old 14 Dec 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1790856)   #4
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
My criterial is:

1: an winning but not much talked about car.

2: a car that ran well, but never won, and

3: a car that probably should've won under the correct circumstances

And the car also probably shouldn't have had huge amounts of publicity( meaning that Pescarolo's cars themselves don't really count, but the Courage C60 that they were based on could, for example.).
Old 15 Dec 2006, 08:28 (Ref:1791160)   #5
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I always reckon that the Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 is one of the great forgotten cars of Le Mans. Everyone remembers the Bentleys, but the Alfa won 4 years in a row from 1931-1934.

I agree with you about the Rondeau, (ugly car though)!
Old 15 Dec 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1791165)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi
1: an winning but not much talked about car.
The '99 winning BMW doesn't get much discussion.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1791461)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree that was a mega car - did the Dome modified V12 LM ever race?
Old 15 Dec 2006, 14:37 (Ref:1791464)   #8
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
The '99 winning BMW doesn't get much discussion.

The BMW inherited the lead when Mercedes withdrew and Toyota had massive problems, hardly a great car and not that quick!
Old 15 Dec 2006, 16:42 (Ref:1791554)   #9
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
The BMW was the one car that the Audi guys in the ALMS were ever really rattled by!
Old 15 Dec 2006, 17:18 (Ref:1791573)   #10
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I feel that Ecurie Ecosse never get highly rated when it comes to C2 cars and their teams!
The team needs more recognition, the team is still going, running "Reggie" and also last year running in the european Radical endurance series and some of the britsports races.

Old 15 Dec 2006, 21:38 (Ref:1791754)   #11
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I also have to add Matra to my list, although they faced real competition only once( Ferrari at LM in'73). And the BMW LMR never was able to beat the definitive R8 heads up-only Panoz and Rob Dyson can claim that.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 22:17 (Ref:1791788)   #12
F360
Racer

F360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame those Martini Lancia LC2's were so fragile....

Absolutely gorgeous.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 00:37 (Ref:1791850)   #13
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
The BMW was the one car that the Audi guys in the ALMS were ever really rattled by!
I must say, I to am a bit surprised by this one. Reality doesn't seem to lend support. Care to elaborate a bit Graham?
Old 16 Dec 2006, 01:21 (Ref:1791875)   #14
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F360
Shame those Martini Lancia LC2's were so fragile....

Absolutely gorgeous.
Agree completely, the Lancias were stunning cars!

I say the Mazda 787 that won LeMans in '91 also. Qualified well back. I will never forget watching the States broadcast, which I guess would have been on ESPN, and the start of the Sunday broadcast was about 6 am Eastern time, the broadcast opening with the Mazda through Indianapolis and into Arnage, typical huge gout of flame on the overrun, and David Hobbs and Bob Varsha welcoming the viewers back to an 'upset in the making,' as the Mazda was well in the lead. Being a big Mazda fan and former owner, what else could I say?
Old 16 Dec 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1792252)   #15
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Lusitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No photos?
Old 16 Dec 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1792310)   #16
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I didn't say anything about not posting photos-those who want to can if they want.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1792312)   #17
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I must say, I to am a bit surprised by this one. Reality doesn't seem to lend support. Care to elaborate a bit Graham?
Easy - just ask them!
Old 16 Dec 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1792338)   #18
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The WM-Peugeot's from the early/mid 80's.They qualified well, went like a scud missle down Mulsanne and were driven by an assortment of rally drivers and other looney Frenchmen.The cars used to turn-up in the paddock on flat-bed trailers, towed by tatty old vans, with a crew of helper's that looked like New Age travellers! I believe one of the bloody things,the Green one, still holds the record for the fastest ever car down Mulsanne Straight - 250mph plus.Those were the days!
Old 16 Dec 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1792370)   #19
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
251 mph or 405kph in 1988. Piloted by Roger Dorchy.

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 16 Dec 2006 at 22:36.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 00:17 (Ref:1792406)   #20
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Actually, that car's the orginal Peugot 905 from '90-91. You can look for the WM that went 251mph down Mulsanne at www.motorsport.com( a racing news and photo site). Just look up LM '89 in the photos section( granted, the car that set that speed is form '88, but the '89 car is the same as that of'88).
Old 17 Dec 2006, 00:29 (Ref:1792411)   #21
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-12-051.jpg

I pretty sure this is it.I remember it was green!
Old 17 Dec 2006, 00:58 (Ref:1792428)   #22
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-12-051.jpg

I pretty sure this is it.I remember it was green!
That's the car allright.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 01:59 (Ref:1792448)   #23
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well at least I got it 1/2 right!!!

L.P.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 03:28 (Ref:1792469)   #24
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Well I'd say so-it used a Peugeot engine.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1792848)   #25
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmmmm the WM looks like an aeroplane wing from the side .

well for me i think the car that should have won lemans in 2005 and 2006 were the pescarolo's, they were as fast as the audi's and built to about a tenth of the budget audi had for the diesel rocket's, the R10's.

also i feel the dome HS101 judd as well deserves a mention not a very talked about car and it was hugely quick at lemans.
next year with those michelins the dome may become the fastest car in not just the LMS, but at lemans!