Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 23 Aug 2003, 15:12 (Ref:696624)   #1
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3000 Hungaroring Race Results

1. Patrick Friesacher
2. Bjorn Wirdheim
3. Townsend Bell
4. Tonio Liuzzi
5. Giorgio Pantano
6. Raffaele Giammaria
7. Jaroslav Janis
8. Enrico Toccacelo
9. Tony Schmidt
10. BCN Special #1
11. Sam Hancock
12. BCN Special #2
13. Ricardo Sperafico

First win for Friesacher, first podium for Bell.

Wirdheim the first to make a clean stop on lap 8, followed by Pantano a lap later, whose right rear wheel mean nearly had his fingers amputated.

The Red Bull twins ran up front way too long. Team then proceeded to butcher Friesacher's stop. They topped that by butchering Liuzzi's stop even more.

After all the stops the order was Wirdheim, Pantano, Friesacher, Bell, Liuzzi. The early stoppers clearly had an advantage which I suspect most teams will pick up on by Monza. Lots of hard racing and blocking for the last 15 laps but it was too artificial for my liking.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 17:44 (Ref:696703)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Red Bull stops can't've been too buthcered considering the team's results.

Surely the Hungarian organisers are now entitled to a pretty massive rebate here, after only 13 of the promised 16 cars showed up? I haven't seen such a pathetic grid (in terms of number and calibre) for a major series in eyars.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 22:54 (Ref:696922)   #3
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: F3000 Hungaroring Race Results

Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
Lots of hard racing and blocking for the last 15 laps but it was too artificial for my liking.
Quite the contrary! I thought it was the most exciting race I've seen the whole season. There were intense efforts at passing like we don't normally see. And, the pitstops truly enhance the drama. Take some time, get used to it, and a ways down the road you wouldn't want to have races without the pitstops.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 23:50 (Ref:696958)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I stopped watching this series because it became too boring. And now I can't be bothered anymore, I'm only checking the results. Who were in the two BCN Special cars?
Old 23 Aug 2003, 23:55 (Ref:696960)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never mind, I found out after reading another thread.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 01:22 (Ref:696996)   #6
corkholio
Veteran

Friesacher lost 6 seconds to Wirdheim during his stop. Liuzzi lost even more. The only reason there was "racing" was because the Red Bull drivers had the faster cars and fresher tires and were artificially shuffled back to the pack thru no fault of their own.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 02:21 (Ref:697014)   #7
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
Friesacher lost 6 seconds to Wirdheim during his stop. Liuzzi lost even more. The only reason there was "racing" was because the Red Bull drivers had the faster cars and fresher tires and were artificially shuffled back to the pack thru no fault of their own.
You can call it artificial, but for the first time, it involves the entire team along with the driver. So, the result might be different than it would have been in former races. I think the pitstops are a step in the right direction... not just for the fans, but for crew development as well. CART and F1 require them, so what is wrong with making F3000 a bit more realistic as a training ground for those series. It is a commendable improvement in my opinion.

By the way, Friesacher had a chance to show that he was really on top of things by winning despite a little bauble by his crew. He's got to be happy.

Last edited by BobbyB; 24 Aug 2003 at 02:23.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 06:14 (Ref:697080)   #8
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liuzzi penalised

http://www.fia.com/FreePress/F3000_G...gary_Class.htm

Liuzzi has been penalised 25 seconds having apparently "forced another car off the track during an overtaking manoevre". (haven't seen the race - to what incident is this referring?)

The result is that VL has been demoted to 9th place and out of the points. Though he has the right to appeal...
Old 24 Aug 2003, 09:43 (Ref:697149)   #9
corkholio
Veteran

Liuzzi tried a mega-banzai move on Pantano on the last corner of the last lap. Poor Pantano got screwed out of 2 positions twice just having to avoid banzai moves.