Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Feb 2024, 14:51 (Ref:4194598)   #276
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
I can't see Carlos going to RBR and Perez to Audi. I would think Carlos is likely looking to be #1 somewhere vs. #2 at RBR? I like Carlos to Sauber/Audi. Who then is #1 at Sauber? I tend to think Bottas was thinking he would be the #1 as they move into the Audi era? I personally rate Carlos above Bottas.

Richard

Looks like the 2024/25 silly season has begun.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 15:32 (Ref:4194606)   #277
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Looks like the 2024/25 silly season has begun.
haha right! after a lack of driver movement from last year, this is a welcomed change!

heck im already looking forward to 25/26 and the aftermath of watching Ferrari struggle with the weight of trying to manage two number 1 drivers at the same time...because that always goes well for them!
Old 1 Feb 2024, 19:25 (Ref:4194640)   #278
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FINALLY it's official:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...96Qrhbkb6.html
Old 1 Feb 2024, 21:18 (Ref:4194666)   #279
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Hamilton's move is clearly a surprise that none of us saw coming.

Many (including me) thought he was crazy for leaving McLaren and going to Mercedes back when he did that - but look at how that turned out, found himself in arguably the most dominant team the sport has ever seen & did a lot of winning. Wonder if history is going to repeat or at least throw up a similar improvement in Ferrari form?

On the other hand, I'm sure that I've seen Lewis say in the past that he'd like to drive for Ferrari before he retires and maybe he's taking that opportunity and aiming to stop after a season or two in the red cars? I guess that'll probably depend on form of the team and also how he goes against Leclerc.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 22:03 (Ref:4194671)   #280
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Hamilton's move is clearly a surprise that none of us saw coming.

Many (including me) thought he was crazy for leaving McLaren and going to Mercedes back when he did that - but look at how that turned out, found himself in arguably the most dominant team the sport has ever seen & did a lot of winning. Wonder if history is going to repeat or at least throw up a similar improvement in Ferrari form?

On the other hand, I'm sure that I've seen Lewis say in the past that he'd like to drive for Ferrari before he retires and maybe he's taking that opportunity and aiming to stop after a season or two in the red cars? I guess that'll probably depend on form of the team and also how he goes against Leclerc.
Yes.
Leclerc and Hamilton.....Hmmmm
So Carlos knows what is going on now and he will work out his options over the year.

Where to?
Sauber Audi? Maybe.
But that would be a year or two in the wilderness because Audi are not going to be race winners off the bat in 2025.

A straight swap with Hamilton?
Carlos may not be rated as highly as Leclerc on sheer speed, but his race craft is great as it was seen in Singapore.

And who do Mercedes go for?
Antonelli isn't ready for F1 yet so I can't see that happening in 2025.
Albon is probably the only person who is shining bright enough out of the current field, but he has never won a race nor really looked like doing so. He's good and has done great things with Williams and I can imagine toto purring over Albon's data with Vowles.

But if Carlos is on the market, and he now certainly is (this all explains why his negotiations weren't going anywhere).
And what top level team needs a good driver for 2025?

RBR? I can't see Carlos willing to play a Perez role to Verstappen.
last time at RBR was painful and I think Carlos will pass it by.

McLaren? They have locked in their men for the present.
If Carlos went back there, he'd be up against Lando or Piastri, and I think he would be comfortable with that. Why would Lando or Oscar leave?

Because Mercedes came calling. Toto could grab either one in the knowledge they are good enough, certainly as good as George, Financial compensation to McLaren of course.

Mercedes? George is a known quantity at Mercedes. He has won a race, can perform well, but has a question over consistency. Carlos might be similar, has two wins, Singapore in 23 being outstanding against the rest of the field, and is solid across a season.
If I had to pick between him and Albon I'd go for Carlos. no team leader ranking but Carlos has the ability and work ethic to work himself into that position.
Hamilton has been associated with Mercedes for so long it is hard to think of anyone else leading the team.
Maybe Rosberg could come out retirement?
Nah.
who else?
Aston Martin? Nah.

it was noted that McLaren had snared the Spanish beer company from Ferrari's sponsor list.
What did Zak Brown know about what was happening at Ferrari, and was signing Lando as a ploy to gain some compensation if things came to a head?
If Lando goes to Mercedes, it gives him a backup if Mclaren stumbles in the chassis area but then will the Mercedes be a revelation in 2024?
What if Hamilton wins the title in 2024? Lando crosses over?

Personally, I think unless the Mercedes is a light year ahead of the Mclaren Lando will stay. I think it may be Piastri who goes. Webber will know the scene exactly and placing Piastri at Mercedes will be exactly what Toto would want to go to.

Antonelli is a future light but putting Piastri up against George in 2025 would make it very clear to George that he has to perform, and whoever comes out as the best option will be with Antonelli in the future.
That assumes Antonelli is everything he is tipped to be.

Another year and we'll know.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 22:03 (Ref:4194672)   #281
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The last time a driver successfully made the move to Ferrari, in that they won the WDC, was Kimi Räikkönen in 2007, all be it by one point, after he left McLaren at the end of 2006.

I sometimes feel that going to Ferrari is a bit of a Hail Mary move for drivers who have already got WDC's under their belt and have hit the doldrums, e.g. Alonso, Prost, Schumacher and Vettel, though Prost did win his 4th after he left Ferrari for Williams and Schumacher went on to win from 2000 - 2004, breaking a WDC drought for Ferrari that went back to 1979.

In Hamilton's case maybe he will successfully make that move and get that eighth WDC and be the 10th different driver to give Ferrari their 16th WDC. However, I think 2025 won't be easy as Ferrari will also be making the transition to the 2026 car.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 22:06 (Ref:4194674)   #282
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Yes.
Leclerc and Hamilton.....Hmmmm
So Carlos knows what is going on now and he will work out his options over the year.

Where to?
Sauber Audi? Maybe.
But that would be a year or two in the wilderness because Audi are not going to be race winners off the bat in 2025.

A straight swap with Hamilton?
Carlos may not be rated as highly as Leclerc on sheer speed, but his race craft is great as it was seen in Singapore.

And who do Mercedes go for?
Antonelli isn't ready for F1 yet so I can't see that happening in 2025.
Albon is probably the only person who is shining bright enough out of the current field, but he has never won a race nor really looked like doing so. He's good and has done great things with Williams and I can imagine toto purring over Albon's data with Vowles.

But if Carlos is on the market, and he now certainly is (this all explains why his negotiations weren't going anywhere).
And what top level team needs a good driver for 2025?

RBR? I can't see Carlos willing to play a Perez role to Verstappen.
last time at RBR was painful and I think Carlos will pass it by.

McLaren? They have locked in their men for the present.
If Carlos went back there, he'd be up against Lando or Piastri, and I think he would be comfortable with that. Why would Lando or Oscar leave?

Because Mercedes came calling. Toto could grab either one in the knowledge they are good enough, certainly as good as George, Financial compensation to McLaren of course.

Mercedes? George is a known quantity at Mercedes. He has won a race, can perform well, but has a question over consistency. Carlos might be similar, has two wins, Singapore in 23 being outstanding against the rest of the field, and is solid across a season.
If I had to pick between him and Albon I'd go for Carlos. no team leader ranking but Carlos has the ability and work ethic to work himself into that position.
Hamilton has been associated with Mercedes for so long it is hard to think of anyone else leading the team.
Maybe Rosberg could come out retirement?
Nah.
who else?
Aston Martin? Nah.

it was noted that McLaren had snared the Spanish beer company from Ferrari's sponsor list.
What did Zak Brown know about what was happening at Ferrari, and was signing Lando a ploy to gaining some compensation if things came to a head?
If Lando goes to Mercedes, it gives him a backup if Mclaren stumbles in the chassis area but then will the Mercedes be a revelation in 2024?
What if Hamilton wins the title in 2024? Lando crosses over?

Personally, I think unless the Mercedes is a light year ahead of the Mclaren Lando will stay. I think it may be Piastri who goes. Webber will know the scene exactly and placing Piastri at Mercedes will be exactly what Toto would want to go to.

Antonelli is a future light but putting Piastri up against George in 2025 would make it very clear to George that he has to perform, and whoever comes out as the best option will be with Antonelli in the future.
That assumes Antonelli is everything he is tipped to be.

Another year and we'll know.
Don’t forget Ocon. Toto loves him.
Old 2 Feb 2024, 04:15 (Ref:4194697)   #283
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Albon is probably the only person who is shining bright enough out of the current field, but he has never won a race nor really looked like doing so.
That's not correct. Albon was on course to win the 2020 Austrian Grand Prix on fresh tyres when he was punted off.

Of course, Albon didn't look to take a victory in the sense of pole and cruising to a 30 second lead... But a victory on strategy was within his grasp.
Old 2 Feb 2024, 04:48 (Ref:4194701)   #284
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love a game of musical chairs
Old 2 Feb 2024, 06:36 (Ref:4194706)   #285
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Don’t forget Ocon. Toto loves him.
And on balance been bested by Gasly - hardly top draw
Old 2 Feb 2024, 08:44 (Ref:4194723)   #286
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
And on balance been bested by Gasly - hardly top draw
Exactly the point.

All the top drivers under lock and key, no really serious young driver programme, no succession plan despite LH clearly coming towards the end of his tenure. They are possibly going to have two “hardly top drawer” drivers.
Old 2 Feb 2024, 09:39 (Ref:4194726)   #287
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Lewis to Ferrari. Who would have seen that coming prior to this week? We'll see if he still has it come next year and whether he can match up to Leclerc. I always thought it would be nice to see Lewis in a Ferrari, but I would have expected it to have already happened if it did, not when he turns 40, but there you go
Old 2 Feb 2024, 11:21 (Ref:4194737)   #288
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's a clip of Steve Jones on instagram interviewing Russell last year at (I think) Monaco. He told Russell that Lewis was going to Ferrari and what did George think of that..........
Old 2 Feb 2024, 12:45 (Ref:4194745)   #289
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well in fairness as soon as Lewis's deal was close everyone was hinting that he would go Ferrari to "complete" his career where everyone wants to be once.

I love how everyone has cried there's no new talent signed, everyone's recycling drivers and when there's a chance it's ONLY talk of recycling drivers. You see why that's an issue. Does anyone watch F2-4 and see who teams move around, everyone was just an open wheel driver at some point. Ok maybe not Lewis and Max but everyone else was just that guy.
Old 2 Feb 2024, 14:23 (Ref:4194760)   #290
v8supes
Veteran

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do feel a little sorry for Sainz if im honest. He has to spend the whole year grafting for a team where no matter how well he drives hes out of a job at the end of the year.

The only good thing for him is that he seems to be good enough to get another seat and with Audi coming in, presumably looking for a big name, he may already have something in the pipeline.
Old 2 Feb 2024, 14:34 (Ref:4194763)   #291
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But not giving your all isn't a good look for potential teams later so you get stuck getting last update and always looking slower
Old 2 Feb 2024, 17:01 (Ref:4194804)   #292
DaviePHD
Rookie

DaviePHD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm,

Never posted on the F1 forum before, tend to stick to the BTCC but it's been interesting.

Hamilton to Ferrari isn't a massive shock, I suspect he's seen the 2024 Merc, knows it's not going to be a winner and has been tempted away. He's still a phenomenal driver and I look forward to seeing what happens.

If I were Toto Wolff I'd make a play for Albon, he was prematurely promoted to and then prematurely sacked from RB. Since going to Williams he's really shown his quality and I reckon he's ready to be a No2 at a top team. He's quick enough to push George Russell and I reckon beat him from time to time.

Sainz - well I imagine his dad is talking to the folks at Audi (for whom he currently drives in the Dakar) I reckon he'll move to Sauber endure one year of pain and be the lead Driver at Audi in 2026. I don't know if that will result in a title but if you look at every other motorsport they have entered success seems inevitable. (I know we also said the same of Toyota).

Even if Max starts this season and the next one as he has the last few, there's plenty to be watching, and in 2026 when the rules change, all bets are off.
Old 3 Feb 2024, 13:30 (Ref:4194960)   #293
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of Vettel talk.

I understand its reminiscing but everyone in F1 circles has been linked to this seat now.
Old 4 Feb 2024, 01:00 (Ref:4195013)   #294
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Hate this time of year, no real F1 action or anything of interest happens.

Gunther sacked. yawn
Andretti has door slammed... yeh whatever
Lewis to Ferrari at years end... big deal.

Naaah nothing interesting, at all

Ohhh one bit of excitement Haas showed off new war paint.... another black car! yippee
Old 4 Feb 2024, 01:14 (Ref:4195018)   #295
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Does this mean Toto will favour Gorgeous George in matters of pit strategy, parts updates etc this year.
"Move over Lewis let George pass"
Old 8 Mar 2024, 15:03 (Ref:4200491)   #296
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Audi confirm Sauber takeover.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...-ceo/10584826/
Old 8 Mar 2024, 19:23 (Ref:4200526)   #297
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news for Michael Andretti: I think there'll be a team to sold in 4-5 years....
Old 10 Mar 2024, 21:10 (Ref:4200747)   #298
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone have any experience of how long it takes to recover from having your appendix removed?
Two weeks until the next race!
Old 10 Mar 2024, 21:58 (Ref:4200754)   #299
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Anyone have any experience of how long it takes to recover from having your appendix removed?
Two weeks until the next race!

''You should be able to return to normal activities in a couple of weeks, although you may need to avoid more strenuous activities for 4 to 6 weeks after open surgery.''

I think driving an F1 car would be classified as a strenuous activity.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/appendicitis/treatment/
Old 10 Mar 2024, 22:39 (Ref:4200758)   #300
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
''You should be able to return to normal activities in a couple of weeks, although you may need to avoid more strenuous activities for 4 to 6 weeks after open surgery.''

I think driving an F1 car would be classified as a strenuous activity.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/appendicitis/treatment/

With that type of surgery, surgeons tell you that you shouldn't drive for at least 6 weeks (I know because I've had two operations like that in the last 4 years) because braking, especially hard braking, place too great a strain on the area where the incision has been made.

That doesn't mean that he won't ignore the advice that he is given, although he may regret it if he does so.