Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Jul 2003, 18:12 (Ref:665141)   #1
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Le Mans 2004 - Cars, Teams and Pilots

I'm quite confident on the fact that this thread should become soon a 'hot topic'...

I received today the last issue of Le Mans Racing, the french newspaper focused on the race we all love...

And here are the news, given by David Legangneux and Philippe Pasteau (no paraphrasing, just the news without the details) :
- Ferrari Enzo : ten or twelve cylinders for the engine, but not only 8, and a production of at least 25, maybe more...
- Nissan changed its mind about the 350 Z, and will homologate if only for JGTC
- Courage : a roofed prototype for 2004 in LMP 900 (LMP1 should we say now) ; and a new shape for the C65
- Audi : roofed prototype for 2004, with a diesel in 2005
- GTS : Lambo Gallardo expected in GTS for 2004
- Maserati : 2004 confirmed
- Porsche : back in LMP1 with a roofed prototype, with the V10 5.7 liters engine
- Toyota : back soon at LM !!!
- Diesel : Ricardo is working on it with a V10 Judd basis
- Norma : M20 for a LMP2 (ex 675) car
- Cobra : a Shelby Cobra Daytona replica in GT for 2004 !
- GLV Racing : new prototype for Giovanni Lavaggi at LM (could be an entry for the November race at LM !)
- Oreca : back with the Viper SRT-10
- gear box : could be forbidden to change the whole box in the next regulations

Huh... is that enough to feed our debates for the next weeks ?

Cheers from La Sarthe !

Fab

Last edited by Fab; 18 Jul 2003 at 18:14.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 18:19 (Ref:665145)   #2
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We see lots of talk about what is going to happen, but what have we actually been shown? If all the cars sitting around doing nothing were actually being raced, we wouldn't need any new cars!
Old 18 Jul 2003, 18:41 (Ref:665161)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting stuff I will have a proper look at the list 2morrow, and fill in a few more details from what I know and from what I know. I would do it now but, as I am just about to go out for a few drinks, well its my birthday..........
Old 18 Jul 2003, 19:01 (Ref:665183)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy birthday Rob !!!!

I think they mentioned the gearbox thing on RLM this year, Audi spotted a weakness and a loophole, the new reg's will close it. It's a pity that changing a g'box complete will be forbidden but that progress for you. A weak rear end, simple make it a bolt on item.

Looks like an exciting possible entry. Good to see Nissan using the 350Z and a Cobra ! Maybe the real racing will be in the GT GTS classes next year.

Simon
Old 18 Jul 2003, 19:09 (Ref:665191)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
It's a pity that changing a g'box complete will be forbidden but that progress for you. A weak rear end, simple make it a bolt on item.

Simon
FWIW, I disagree Simon. I never agreed with the "bolt a new rear end on in 4 inutes" mentality. Back in the Group C days, if I remember correctly, this was specifically forbidden - you could replace the internals, but not the casing, which meant that bolt on replacements couldn't be used.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 21:53 (Ref:665292)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like the sound of all those roofs!

I just hope they all come to fruition.

Also do you reckon Lavaggi will let my dad drive? They've a history of finishing together!
Old 18 Jul 2003, 21:54 (Ref:665295)   #7
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTW Happy Birthday Rob!
Old 19 Jul 2003, 02:28 (Ref:665400)   #8
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, Rob, Happy Birthday! Have fun today (even though it's tomorrow in Britain and you're asleep).
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 19 Jul 2003, 02:48 (Ref:665404)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
happy birthday rob
oh and lots of speculation in the list,possiblies and maybes
if Cobra is going to be there under what conditions?
and what keeps replica GT40's and other replica cars running as a 'gt'
say a GT1 porsche replica, with all the goodies? running in GT, as a replica non porsche-call it GTPIG
Old 19 Jul 2003, 05:24 (Ref:665437)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
I am just about to go out for a few drinks, well its my birthday..........
Happy Birthday Rob !!!

And two things :
- those news doesn't seem to be pure gossips, but based on journalist work
- the Nissan WON't come : only JGTC

Last edited by Fab; 19 Jul 2003 at 05:29.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:40 (Ref:666260)   #11
Raptor303
Rookie

Raptor303 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
happy birthday rob
oh and lots of speculation in the list,possiblies and maybes
if Cobra is going to be there under what conditions?
and what keeps replica GT40's and other replica cars running as a 'gt'
say a GT1 porsche replica, with all the goodies? running in GT, as a replica non porsche-call it GTPIG
I think it is different in the Cobra's case, as Shelby is still manufacturing actual Cobras, but under the name of CSX. All the rest are kit cars, and must be titled as such, I think.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 17:05 (Ref:666390)   #12
Mopar
Racer

Mopar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about a mclaren f1 or dauer/shuppan porsche 962? Under the new rules allowing carbon chassis cars into gts will these become legal to race so long as the meet the 25 required build? Could this be reality or am i just dreaming like that dream about like DAMS running a GTS Corvette in Europe?
Old 20 Jul 2003, 17:29 (Ref:666402)   #13
Kurt Maxwell
Racer

Kurt Maxwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think so,Mopar.

The cars will not be allowed many changes from road versions so costs don't get out of hand.

Ratel went through the morphing of GT Supercars to super expensive prototypes and won't let that happen again.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 18:48 (Ref:666439)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mopar
what about a dauer/shuppan porsche 962?

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no......

Shouldn't have been allowed to race at Le Mans in 94. For goodness sake, don't start wishing it back.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:49 (Ref:666589)   #15
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
But I loved the 962...... as you well know!!!!!

Though that was in Group C form!
Old 20 Jul 2003, 22:48 (Ref:666665)   #16
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see a date on the Porsche return. They've got to beat Audi for dominance bragging rights. However, can they beat Audi? I have no doubts as to Audi building a GTP, as they let go of the R8 to start building it, but will there still be a Bentley? I'm still a little fuzzy as to what relationship Audi holds with Porsche, as their names have appeared on the same car in the past.

Someone please cite me a credible source on some C6 info. It seems rather early to retire such a good car on both road and track. With the Enzo possibly reaching homologation, is the 575 factory rumor even worth investing into?

As it stands, there are only a few GTPs actually in the works right now. How long did it take the GTP/ Group C days to get good fields?

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 21 Jul 2003, 03:23 (Ref:666772)   #17
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as far as the C6, straight from GM should be credible enough. i've seen it countless times in various articles, i'll see if i can dig one up online. i know that autoweek.com had something about it not too long ago. and as far as the enzo, i believe that you might see privateers perhaps race an enzo or two, but they will probably opt for the factory (enxo-based) maserati GTS programme, or the Ferrari F575 GTS customer cars (which will be offered in much the same vein as the F360 GT cars are)...

pit
Old 21 Jul 2003, 07:23 (Ref:666840)   #18
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevyguy
With the Enzo possibly reaching homologation, is the 575 factory rumor even worth investing into?
It seems to be official now...

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevyguy
As it stands, there are only a few GTPs actually in the works right now. How long did it take the GTP/ Group C days to get good fields?
We'll have good cars in 2005/2006...

I loved the roofed' 1999' Audis, don't you ?
Old 21 Jul 2003, 12:04 (Ref:667018)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
But I loved the 962...... as you well know!!!!!

Moi aussi, Paul. But the Dauer car was a 962 masquerading as a GT. I know the later GT1 type cars stretched the rules to the limit as well, but allowing those two cars to compete as GTs was absolutely wrong - IMO.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 12:20 (Ref:667037)   #20
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Doug Fehan told me that the C6 will race next year
Old 21 Jul 2003, 20:43 (Ref:667623)   #21
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
Doug Fehan told me that the C6 will race next year
but Did he told you where C6 will race?
Old 21 Jul 2003, 21:17 (Ref:667666)   #22
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Yes thanks!! :-)
Old 22 Jul 2003, 04:58 (Ref:667929)   #23
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found the R8Cs ugly Fab, but I'm sure the GTPs will look alot better. I guess I'll have to run down some info on the C6, that's always a hassle.

I think '05/'06 is probably accurate, but how many? We really need some factories outside of Germany to get involved, particularly Japan. I'm hoping Toyota will continue it's world domination goal, and take another crack at Le Mans.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 22 Jul 2003, 07:26 (Ref:667985)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Funny how those R8C's invoke completely different views from people. I loved 'em, far, far better looking than the monstrosity which was the original R8R.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 07:45 (Ref:668000)   #25
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Couldn't agree with you more Ayse - the R8C was a thing of beauty