Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 8 Mar 2013, 16:04 (Ref:3216046)   #101
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here is the story on autosport.com:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105905

im hoping this effort is similar to the lotus lmp2 programme: rebadging in the 1st year, and then a caterham designed chassis next year
Old 8 Mar 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3216077)   #102
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It's another brand involved which is true enough. But I think this clearly all about marketing vs performance. Nice for the French. Not really something anyone will notice unless they slap a livery on it.

Doesn't become exciting unless there's some real intent behind it in the future. No difference between this and the Lotus/Judd rebadging or the Morgan/OAK switch.
Autosport think it'll be Alpine blue, so at least it should look nice.
A rebadged Oreca-Nissan isn't the most exciting announcement ever, but it has the potential to be the start of something bigger...
Old 8 Mar 2013, 18:45 (Ref:3216081)   #103
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well a little more interest in the LMP2 class but lets wait and see how much involvement from Renault there is in this rebranding or if it will just be another also ran in the junior class
Old 8 Mar 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3216096)   #104
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Said Carlos Tavares, Chief Operating Officer, Renault: “Alpine’s return to the legendary Le Mans 24 Hours in 2013 marks the beginning of a new adventure which is set to last. The passion that drives us is matched only by the humility and careful attention paid to costs that epitomise this comeback which itself has been made possible thanks to the involvement of our partners and supporters who I would like to thank formally here. Together, step by step, we will do our very best to write another exciting page in the history of Alpine, a truly outstanding name in the world of French sports cars.”
lol. The press release is so "blah blah blah blah blah".
Old 8 Mar 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3216100)   #105
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
lol. The press release is so "blah blah blah blah blah".
Is Rubens Barrichello driving?
Old 8 Mar 2013, 21:46 (Ref:3216134)   #106
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
One person's "blah blah" is another's measured and realistic statement.

I think we all allowed ourselves to think that this was going to be a declaration of a pair of first rank Alpine Renault LMP1s for 2014, and perhaps unsurprisingly it's not - it's a toe in the water, and it's not a lot more than a bit of paintwork at the moment.

But let's take a deep breath. It's another major car manufacturer with its brand on the grid, this manufacturer is clearly investing in its Alpine brand, and looking at Le Mans, there's evidence that programmes take a bit of time to build (look at Toyota, look at Nissan). This first step is small, like all of them, but it's incredibly important and I worry that if we collectively greet how Renault have chosen to approach this with a collective "Meh" and asking why they hadn't the foresight to have clones of Pironi and Jassaud to drive it we're cutting our noses off to spite our faces.

At risk of mixing sporting metaphors, little acorns produce great oaks - look at where Nicolet's involvement started, and where it's ended up.

I'll give them a cheer at Silverstone next month, and at Le Mans in June. I know I'll be disappointed that it won't look anything like an A442, but if the choice is between this and nothing, or even this and the pre-existing Signatech entry, I know which I'll choose.

Last edited by isynge; 8 Mar 2013 at 21:47. Reason: grammar
Old 8 Mar 2013, 22:00 (Ref:3216137)   #107
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well said that man.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3216153)   #108
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I shouldn't speak on behalf of someone else, but I think the incredulity comes from the real alternative being that they might not have bothered at all. One day we don't have an entry and then as soon as one comes along we don't think it is good enough. Beggers/choosers.

Strange classes, toes in water, spending their money making their own choices, it has always been thus.

Listening to people's opinions on how to go racing is interetsting. There is nothing wrong, especially on a discussion forum, in expressing an opinion that the approach should be different. Perhaps sometimes we just come across as whinging that we didn't quite get what we wanted for Christmas?

Sorry that is all a bit too deep. What about motor racing?
Old 8 Mar 2013, 23:07 (Ref:3216155)   #109
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think a lot of the complaints have come from people setting their expectations too high and being suckered in by the hype (me included).

If you just look at it in terms of net gain - a major manufacturer in G56 and a potential P1 programme/a famous make returning to Le Mans and the associated PR boost - there's not really a lot you can complain about.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 23:09 (Ref:3216156)   #110
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
apart from the colour
Old 8 Mar 2013, 23:17 (Ref:3216159)   #111
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I'm scratching my head about a lot of this, as I hope I came across in my previous post.

There's no bad news in what either Renault or Nissan have done over the last few days, all of it contributes to the flavour of racing we love, and with Nissan in particular, resonates with my identification of Le Mans as a race which embraces the new and where needed creates a regulatory environment which fosters this.

Think about it - it's the exceptions that stand out - and not in a good way; to take two, the exclusion of the Mirage in 1982 (and surely there's more of a subtext beyond that in Horsman's book to be told about this) and the rigid prescription of the 3.5 litre are recalled as bad things - why then are we resenting something innovative?

Put another way - does anyone seriously have a substantive objection to a Signatech entered Alpine-Nissan in 2013?
Old 9 Mar 2013, 00:46 (Ref:3216186)   #112
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Put another way - does anyone seriously have a substantive objection to a Signatech entered Alpine-Nissan in 2013?
Definitely no, but do I still have to like sticker engineering? This good news but I don't see it as a manufacturer involvement, I see it as a sponsorship deal, because that's what it is really.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 12:36 (Ref:3216360)   #113
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Perhaps the plan ultimately is to have both manufacturers running, sharing a P1 chassis but using different engines - Alpine using the F1 unit and Nissan the new electric or whatever it is.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3216365)   #114
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Perhaps the plan ultimately is to have both manufacturers running, sharing a P1 chassis but using different engines - Alpine using the F1 unit and Nissan the new electric or whatever it is.
Seems like a huge investment to come from a relative "small" manufacture (compared to the VAG group). Also both cars, the Nissan and the Alpine would be compromises of the other, and therefor less likely to be equivalent to the focused efforts of Toyota, Audi and Porsche.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 13:10 (Ref:3216367)   #115
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
It should not be allowed to rebadge a chassis . If its homologated as an Oreca , it an Oreca ..... end of .

Pretty sad effort from Signatech so far anyway .....
Old 9 Mar 2013, 13:40 (Ref:3216371)   #116
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Seems like a huge investment to come from a relative "small" manufacture (compared to the VAG group). Also both cars, the Nissan and the Alpine would be compromises of the other, and therefor less likely to be equivalent to the focused efforts of Toyota, Audi and Porsche.
I might be wrong but the whole Alpine piece seems completely separate from Renault itself. That's what is now making me think the RCE article was more wishful thinking.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3216377)   #117
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why sad from Signatech?

They were looking for a sponsor for their program and found one, that doesn't seem sad to me.

The way Alpine/Renault are activating it might be questionable to us diehard fans. But we are only a very small percentage of their target audience, the majority probably will think it's a cool link.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3216378)   #118
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_nl View Post
But we are only a very small percentage of their target audience, the majority probably will think it's a cool link.
That doesn't make it any better really, because that is the whole point. Marketing is often based on lies and rebranding is essentially that: making less informed people to believe the car is something it isn't. They are sort of going to get away with it and masses will believe it is really Alpine.

Last edited by deggis; 9 Mar 2013 at 14:14.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3216382)   #119
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, but you should not blame that on Signatech, that was the point I was trying to make. Al they did was find cash to run their team.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 14:54 (Ref:3216387)   #120
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
That doesn't make it any better really, because that is the whole point. Marketing is often based on lies and rebranding is essentially that: making less informed people to believe the car is something it isn't. They are sort of going to get away with it and masses will believe it is really Alpine.
A good question to ask in this debate is:
What is the difference between ordering a chassis to be constructed from a manufacture (like Oreca), or "buying" an existing chassis to mark as your own.

The end result is the same, a car running with a name other than the company which build it. The masses will never know the difference, but the die-hard-fans will know anyway.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3216388)   #121
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
True, but you should not blame that on Signatech, that was the point I was trying to make. Al they did was find cash to run their team.
I'm not, I'm blaming the manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
A good question to ask in this debate is:
What is the difference between ordering a chassis to be constructed from a manufacture (like Oreca), or "buying" an existing chassis to mark as your own.

The end result is the same, a car running with a name other than the company which build it. The masses will never know the difference, but the die-hard-fans will know anyway.
The difference is that in the other case the chassis has not existed with another name previously. Also there will not be two identical chassis with different name. In principle big difference.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3216480)   #122
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Why sad from Signatech?

They were looking for a sponsor for their program and found one, that doesn't seem sad to me
I mean in general , as the official preferred Nissan team , not very good results , imo . Other Oreca/Nissan teams have a much better record .
Old 9 Mar 2013, 23:45 (Ref:3216534)   #123
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Signatech won the ILMC LMP2 class in 2011, they had a much stronger driver lineup then.

I think not every GT Academy winner will turn out to be as strong as Lucas Ordonez, Jordan Tresson didn't exactly light the world on fire.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 12:47 (Ref:3222716)   #124
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The Signatech Alpine livery:

source: http://endurance-info.com/version2/a...nce-16841.html
Old 22 Mar 2013, 12:59 (Ref:3222724)   #125
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Decent livery. Quite funny that they have a sponsor 'Identicar' for a re-badged effort.