Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 19 May 2005, 04:51 (Ref:1304252)   #1
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can Danica Patrick win the Indy 500?

I'm a recently converted Australian Danica Patrick fan! I honestly believe that she'll win the Indy 500. I find her extremely sexy.
Old 19 May 2005, 05:38 (Ref:1304272)   #2
Refutation
Racer

Refutation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get your post,you think she'll win because she's sexy?Or do you think she'll win because she's talented?

I don't think she'll win this year,she's never ran a race over 300 miles.Someone who is 97lbs no matter how strong,they will tire out quicker then the average size driver in the field(Say 145-160lbs).The steeringwheel will start feeling like it weighs about 1000lbs,and the foot you have pressed to the floor will feel even worse.
Old 19 May 2005, 06:03 (Ref:1304285)   #3
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
"I find her extremely sexy."

I read this all too often. I wish someone would explain what is "sexy" about her. Kinda cute? Yeah, I'll give her that. Sexy though?

I have nothing against her, 'think she's pretty talented (altho' I am not convinced that she is top notch), but I don't see the sexiness...either in body or in personality. Someone elaborate, please. I wanna know what I'm missin'...

jimclark
Old 19 May 2005, 06:12 (Ref:1304292)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone who starts the race has a chance of winning it is the glib answer.

She's got a car which gives her a very good shot at it.
Old 19 May 2005, 06:27 (Ref:1304296)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very good point KB, tho I think experience often is a good requirement in such a race.
Old 19 May 2005, 06:28 (Ref:1304297)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True, but it's almost impossible to predict, which is good!
Old 19 May 2005, 06:35 (Ref:1304300)   #7
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Not only is it glib, but it was the answer I was going to give. Will she win it? Who would've though Buddy would've won last year. Go girl!
Old 19 May 2005, 09:00 (Ref:1304366)   #8
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It should be pointed out that Seton Fanantic is also a Kyle Petty fan - and that's a sexy pony tail.
Old 19 May 2005, 10:01 (Ref:1304407)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
She certainly can win - she's with a good team and she's been setting very competitive times throughout the month. Whether she will win is entirely another matter. I agree that experience will come into play, and stamina may too. I'd be pleased to see her win, though.
Old 19 May 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1304424)   #10
infoxicated
Rookie

Scotland
UK
infoxicated has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think she has the experience to win - it's not like she ran away with it at Motegi, and this is the very next race. She has the potential to be top five, but I don't see her being up front with TK and Dan Wheldon and being able to out-race them. Unless of course her car hits a sweet spot in the last stint and she's able to hold off the more experienced, more talented veterans.

I don't find her sexy either - if you do then you're really scraping the barrel. Of the sexiest women on the planet, I doubt she'd be worrying the top 500. And even if you narrow it down to those involved with motorsport, there are plenty of pit-babes that outshine her.
Old 19 May 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1304451)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by infoxicated
I don't find her sexy either - if you do then you're really scraping the barrel. Of the sexiest women on the planet, I doubt she'd be worrying the top 500. And even if you narrow it down to those involved with motorsport, there are plenty of pit-babes that outshine her.
Ms Patrick will be the best looking lady driver in the Indy 500 field this year

I would like to think Ms Patrick can give the race a good shake, if the pit strategy is spot on, and she can push the car when the team tell her to, and preserve it when they tell her to do that, a top 5 should be a realistic goal.

Not so sure about the fitness thing, and longevity behind the wheel.... I would presume the driver should be fit enough to race, aerobically and with the appropriate body fat levels... Ms Patrick looks a good deal shorter in height than most in that field, which can account for some of the weight difference....
Old 19 May 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1304474)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't place her among the favourites for the race, even though she's well up the grid and certainly has a chance. If things get a bit hectic or difficult to predict the more experienced drivers will probably coem to the fore more, or the guys who are further down the grid but have the pace, especially Dan. Bringing the car home in the top 10 (ideally, 8th or better, to take the 'best finish by a woman' record firrst time out) would be impressive.
Old 19 May 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1304526)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Won't win the race on pace, maybe with strategy she may be in with a chance.

She's easy on the eye certainly but that's pretty irrelevant come Sunday week. If you watch motorsport for a perve on the competiters you mustn't watch alot of motorsport......
Old 19 May 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1304530)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think she'll have a very real shot at a good finish, and if everything goes her way she might even have a shot at the win.
Old 19 May 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1304606)   #15
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If she were to win the 500 -- admittedly a bit of a long shot for a rookie driver with her experience -- I believe it would be the first car (as opposed to kart) race she's ever won. Is that incorrect?
Old 19 May 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1304614)   #16
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Ms Patrick will be the best looking lady driver in the Indy 500 field this year

I would like to think Ms Patrick can give the race a good shake, if the pit strategy is spot on, and she can push the car when the team tell her to, and preserve it when they tell her to do that, a top 5 should be a realistic goal.

Not so sure about the fitness thing, and longevity behind the wheel.... I would presume the driver should be fit enough to race, aerobically and with the appropriate body fat levels... Ms Patrick looks a good deal shorter in height than most in that field, which can account for some of the weight difference....
I think this should have read she's the best looking driver in the race!

Fitness isn't the same issue in Oval as it is in F1...so she'll be fine. What she lacks in brawn she makes up for in sheer guts...the boys could learn a lot from her attitude. She takes after her Mom...whom is coolness personified!

Her dad on the other hand used to get so excited he got banned from the garage, Jeez is he gunna be hoppin around them bleachers come race day!
Old 19 May 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1304627)   #17
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You're kidding, right? IndyCar drivers need maximum fitness for the amount of G force they put up with, arguably more than in F1.
Old 19 May 2005, 14:28 (Ref:1304629)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Down FOrce - I agree with you about most things - but I suspect Rennen is correct when he says oval racing is less physically taxing.

And he does, of course, have personal insight.
Old 19 May 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1304637)   #19
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Correct KB... I quizzed a BAR physio at lenght just the other day on the subject, the numbers he quoted went over my head for all the differant loadings involved...but no other circuit racing gets close to F1 for G forces.

Not oval story, but when AD got that chance to do some lappery at Elkhart Lake in Franchittis Team Green Champ car a couple of years ago, the team were banging on about the high G. AD reported back after his run..."What G?"

Seems it was just like an overpowered FF/F3 car!
Old 19 May 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1304651)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This race is very tough for a Rookie to win...a lot must go right for that to happen...

Danica is the real deal...no doubt about it....

But this race is unlike anything she has ever raced before...

On Race Day, drivers have described the front straight as looking like a tunnel with the 100s of thousands in the stands....and the draft and turbulence caused by 33 cars makes traffic particularly difficult here...

It also is the only race on the series that has rows of three....drastically reduces the racing room...especially into 9 degree banked turns....

She is going to have to be cool and collected, and not let the energy and emotions of the event get to her mental focus....like she did on Pole Day, when she took the car into turn one too low and hard and basically cost herself the Pole....

This isn't just another race....the payday alone for the winner could make one's career...and teh pressure is quite high for the Indy 500

That's a lot for a rookie to handle...even with a great car...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 19 May 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1304655)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Danica was unable to win a race in Atlantics, so I don't see her winning Indy with only a few races of experience. Let's be realistic, if it's based on pure pace it'll be down to an AGR, Penske or Rahal car. Where do you rate Danica vs. those drivers? Plus, she's now up against Brack on her team. If Brack is able to get up to his old form or close, she hasn't a chance against him without mitigating factors.

As for endurance vs. weight, what's Danica's weight comapred to CDMs? Also, women can do surprisingly well in ultra-marathons. I was watching something on this race through death valley or some place like that. It's like 120miles or something in the scortching heat. They have to run on the white lines because the pavement will melt their shoes! I can't remember the exact record, but out of the last 5 years the same woman has won 3 times. My point is that I think women actually have better endurance than men.

F1 also has psychotically quick transisions. Think about how quickly the forces are changing as a F1 car goes through a series of S bends. It's not just about sustaining an absolute force, but withstanding quick changes. The braking force is absolutely nuts too.
Old 19 May 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1304660)   #22
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Another question, what will happens if she pulls a boner?

More than one, not untalented, driver at Indy has never lived down, making an error at the very worst point in time.

she does not have to worry about drivers with the stature of a Andretti or Foyt, spewing their aggitated opinions to anyone who asks, but will she get a free ride, or will it haunt her the way it does them?

Rennen:
Do not sell short the physical and psychological differences between men and women.
Only one woman in this country has ever succeeded in motor sports to point of being considered "one of the boys".
That was Shirley Muldowney.
Others came, including winners, and went, mostly just names in history books, but she kept at it, day-in, day-out, including nasty injuries.

500 miles is a long way, it will be interesting to see how she handles it.

Bob

Bob
Old 19 May 2005, 23:36 (Ref:1304981)   #23
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
This is correct...but having someone like Marty Roth or AJ Foyt IV winning this race is unlikely to happen.

Anyway, back to Danica...i really think that with the way she's been competing so far this year has proved that she is able to race just as well as anyone else.

If she can hold it together for 500 miles, then you go girl!

I only say this because we underestimated her in the beginning of the year, saying that she won't qualify near the top at all in the first few races, and boom, within 4 races she's qualified on the front row.

Maybe we're just underestimating what she can do in this race as well.
Old 19 May 2005, 23:56 (Ref:1304997)   #24
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Rahal has been able to keep her enthusiasm focussed. She wanted to ditch her Qualifying effort and have another go but he colled her off. As an old speedway man told me time and time again, "Wear the cars out in the race, not the pits or qualifying"

She can't get bumped where she is so just get her head and race craft ready for the race

mike
Old 19 May 2005, 23:56 (Ref:1304998)   #25
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes she can win it. She proved at Motegi that she could be competitive all race. You need to meet her and talk to her to understand that this isn't just an average woman but a fierce competitor who makes up for her small stature with shear determination and the will to succeed in a mans world. I think there is a small possibility that she may "fall out of the seat at Indy" but if I was a betting man I would bet that the race at Texas will be harder on her. The G-load at Texas is incredible.