Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 May 2000, 18:24 (Ref:1603)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So another driver is moaning about backmarkers during a race - in this case it was Mika Hakkinen having a whinge, stating that something 'must be done'.

Although yes, backmarkers can hinder the leaders of a race, what they seem to forget is that those very same backmarkers are in the race too. The grid doesn't stop after the 'Big 4' - McLaren, Ferrari, Williams and Jordan - there's another 7 teams racing too. The top guys seem to forget this fact and have little respect for the drivers who go out there every other weekend in inferior cars (or with inferior engines GO MINARDI ) and drive their socks off to get the best result they can. Just because you don't get a top 6 finish doesn't mean you drove any less of a race than the winner.

It's time to champion the rest of the grid, not just the guys lucky enough to be in quick cars.

GO MINARDI/SAUBER/ARROWS/BENETTON/BAR/PROST/JAGUAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 21 May 2000, 19:07 (Ref:1604)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's aliens in those other cars. Aliens who have been hired only to clog up the track and give Mika something to crank about.

"Backmarkers" - an insulting term for people who are not as fast as I am - were hired by their teams to race in Formula One, and they are acknowledged to be among the fastest men in the world, by their presence on the track. If Certain People don't think other boys should intrude on their playground, they are certainly rich enough to go off and hire one and keep the other boys off. Until they do that, those "backmarkers" have as much right - or more right, in some cases - to be out there racing as anybody driving a McLaren has.

MIKASHUTUPANDRACETHATTHINGORGOHOME!!!!!
Old 21 May 2000, 21:05 (Ref:1605)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOO HOO!!!! What a prat....
Old 21 May 2000, 21:13 (Ref:1606)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Who? Me or Cranky?
Old 21 May 2000, 21:23 (Ref:1607)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they'll never shutup until there are only 4 cars (you know which ones) on the track.
Old 21 May 2000, 21:33 (Ref:1608)   #6
renniesmill
Rookie

renniesmill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think they should have a new scoring system, for drivers who finish outside top 6, then the front runners will have more respects for the others.
1-2-3-4-5-6-9-15 [points]
this way the point ratio for the top 3 finish will remain the same! (well, roughly anyway)
Old 22 May 2000, 00:27 (Ref:1609)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to see that sort of thing, give maximum points to the 4th place finisher...thus we would wind up haing the slowest F1 race ever....would be a fantastic stategical race....

They are backmarkers. It is a relative thing. If im coming last in a race, i am a backmarker. Mika was a backmarker when he drove for Lotus. My Forti were backmarkers when they were still circulating.
Old 22 May 2000, 00:50 (Ref:1610)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody behind me is a backmarker.
Old 22 May 2000, 07:32 (Ref:1611)   #9
Ed-f1
Racer

Ed-f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well given that Hakkinen is referring to the people he has to lap as backmarkers, there were only 2 guys in yesterdays race who weren't backmarkers. And that means we can class one of the Mclarens and one of the Ferraris as backmarkers.
Old 22 May 2000, 12:24 (Ref:1612)   #10
Liz
Veteran

And all backmarkers should get off the track as soon as all the cars are through the first turn.

Of course, that depends on who is leading the race, doesn't it?
Old 23 May 2000, 09:24 (Ref:1613)   #11
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone else think that Jenson Button made a copmplete hash of letting a lot of people lap him - especially David Coulthard just as he was about the embark on an exciting chase of Michael Schumacher?
Old 24 May 2000, 14:14 (Ref:1614)   #12
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I could see, Jenson was not the easiest of people to pass in that race. Regarding Mika, he was stuck behind Wurz for quite some time. That certainly annoyed me, he would have been a lot closer to TGF if that hadn't happened. So I agree with Mika in complaining about that, I think the backmarkers definetely should let the leaders through a little more willingly.

"Backmarker" is a relative term! It depends on where you are in a race. All drivers one lap or more behind any given driver is a backmarker in that driver's mind.
Old 25 May 2000, 00:21 (Ref:1615)   #13
Liz
Veteran

How about this? As soon as you're lapped, you pull off the track. Last man standing is the winner. Sort of like "musical chairs", and wouldn't it do wonders for voertaking!!!!!
Old 25 May 2000, 13:19 (Ref:1616)   #14
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I, too, get a bit puzzled with the continual hand-wringing over backmarkers. I'm not in favor of intentional blocking, but why should I simply pull over and park it just because I see a McLaren or a Ferrari in my mirrors? Should I not have a reasonable opportunity to protect myself from being lapped?

If you're a racer, then stop whining and RACE.
Old 25 May 2000, 14:57 (Ref:1617)   #15
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can understand MH's position, but I also understand that of the others on the track. MH prudently did not interfere with the last few lap battle of DC and RB. He could have seriously affected the outcome of the race had he gotten involved in their battle while chasing after MS who he would most likely never be able to successfully pass. Another thing that the leaders must understand is that you cannto expect another driver to pull over in the most difficult place to overtake and allow them through. And when the time comes and the slower car allows them through, go through. Don't lollygag alongside a lapped car wondering if he's going to turn into you. Get on with it. How many times did we see that in the race. MH and MS would drive alongside someone they were over 5 seconds a lap faster than for more than the turn, like they were being timid about making the pass.
Old 26 May 2000, 07:38 (Ref:1618)   #16
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Poor old Ron Dennis !!!

He's McLaren logic-spoken himself to a standstill.

Ron thinks that McLaren have god given right to win every race to the point where he believes that Ferrari never win a race - its just that McLaren lost it.....

Plain fact at the Euro GP was that MS carved through the traffic much better than Mika.

Sorry Ron the best man won...however unpalatable that may be...
Old 26 May 2000, 21:46 (Ref:1619)   #17
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well said, mate.
Old 26 May 2000, 23:53 (Ref:1621)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Has Mr. Sunshine Dennis made any comments about his fair-haired boy's jeering at his teammate? Oh, wait, Mr. Dennis writes all Mika's comments out for him in advance, doesn't he?

OOOOOOOh. Be afraid, DC. Be very afraid.... NOT!!!!! Go out there and beat him fair and square and dare him to say you're not better than he is. And sucks to you, Mr. Dennis, sir.
Old 27 May 2000, 10:27 (Ref:1620)   #19
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Bliiiiiiiiimey. Now twonk-face himself is at it. Ron Dennis blamed backmarkers for Mika not winning the race.

YOU STUPID MAN.
Old 27 May 2000, 17:45 (Ref:1622)   #20
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In reply to KC's comment about MH not interfering with the Barichello / DC battle.
In order to help his teammate, shouldn't he have lapped Barrichello, (upsetting RB's rythym and keeping him away from DC for another lap or 2).
Is this another example of how little of a team player he is??