Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2006, 13:15 (Ref:1621981)   #1
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Marco F1 bound? (MERGED, again)

Is Marco Andretti America's next great star if F1. He has the talent (second at the worlds biggest car race at 19), he has the popularity, and he has the family name. So is Marco F1 bound? That is where he hopes to end up when it is all said and done.
Old 29 May 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1621988)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is this an official statement or are you speculating ???

Links anyone ?
Old 29 May 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1621990)   #3
aeroehl
Racer

United States
speculating
Old 29 May 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1621991)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's personal opinion.
Old 29 May 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1621993)   #5
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not speculating- I saw him being interviewed on a video a while back when he was testing an Atlantic car and he said F1 is definately where he wants to be.
Old 29 May 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1621998)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would say it's almost natural a driver aim F1. I think Marco certainly will learn from Michael the hard lessons about this move.
Old 29 May 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1621999)   #7
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it'll be a few years yet......after yesterday he'll want to win indy asap and i think he'll concentrate on that first
Old 29 May 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1622001)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, it is worth giving up what your doing where you currently are to risk it all for F1 which is no guarantee you'll cut it.
Old 29 May 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1622005)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He hasn't even settled in what he is doing now. He has plenty to achieve in America first. He's not going to do it soon.
Old 29 May 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1622020)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Going into Indy he was 16th in the IRL championship, practically last out of the drivers who started every race, and in (at worst) the 3rd-best team. He's only young and has shown potential, but he would need a couple of seasons in GP2 or some other road course based championship for any F1 team to consider him.
Old 29 May 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1622032)   #11
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he has plenty to prove yet where he is before Formula one beckons, if it ever does. I have to say that all the hype about his performance is over the top. For me Dan Wheldon was yet again the class of the field, only robbed of his back to back victory by events beyond his control.
Old 29 May 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1622034)   #12
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's not likely an IRL driver will progress to Formula 1 unless they have a formidable background in other top single seater categories.

Montoya & Villeneuve came up through CART, which had a lot of road races as well as ovals.

And firstly, it's very early days for Marco yet. His Indy 500 run was phenomenal, but he's not been running at that pace so far this year so the category's he's in at the moment are either 'learning fast' or 'inconsistant'. Need to know which!
Old 29 May 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1622035)   #13
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marco was this years Danica it seems. Had a good car under him, strategy played to his advantage towards the end, and was in with a shout of winning in the closing stages.

But realistically there's still a long way to go. I wouldn't put big expectations on Marco to win an IRL race anytime soon.
Old 29 May 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1622037)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I've no doubt that he will enter F1 in a few years, providing that he wants to, and that he proves his pace Stateside. I am becoming rather worried that in the future the entire F1 grid will consist of the Sons of famous F1 drivers.
Old 29 May 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1622040)   #15
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
He ran in Star Mazda last year, with no victories, and 5th in the championship (4th placed rookie). The jump from Mazda to IRL was a bit too big IMHO, and he would have been better served by going to Formula Atlantics like Graham Rahal, who similarily wishes to go to F1. Rahal beat Andretti at almost every race last year, and has been doing quite well in Atlantics. It is a positive to have young talented North Americans coming up the pipeline though.

I think way too much is being put into this one result, on an oval that doesn't translate much to F1.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 29 May 2006 at 14:05.
Old 29 May 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1622041)   #16
aeroehl
Racer

United States
He is still only 19. What was Michael Schumacher doing at 19?
Old 29 May 2006, 14:07 (Ref:1622047)   #17
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroehl
I might be wrong but I believe he was competing in F3 and cultivating an impressive mullet.
Old 29 May 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1622052)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Wishing his dad would give him a silver spoon?
Old 29 May 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1622058)   #19
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
At 18 Michael came third in the German F3 championship, which would be about equivalent to Formula Atlantics here. He also won one of the prestigous Macau F3 Heat races.

At 19, he was the German F3 champion, and competed on the Mercedes Group C factory team, with one victory.

By 22, Schumacher was in F1, with multiple points positions that first year.

This is an unfair comparison to make of anyone. Fact is that Marco just didn't compete very well in Star Mazda last year.
Old 29 May 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1622060)   #20
Avid Merrion
Racer

Avid Merrion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think your right , he was doing German F3 for W Webers team .

Marco is a superb young talented guy that should go far . It was so impressive to see his race yesterday at the 500 , afterwards when he was interviewed he said that Second place meant nothing ! , he only wants to win . That sounds to me like the kind of young guy that could do modern day Formula 1 a lot of good , what a great attitude to have .

Add to that his surname and the media attention it would generate in the USA , A move one day to F1 would be a very good thing . And the guy races hard too and i dont buy any of this stuff about his dad giving him everything on a plate , you dont race hard and fast at 220 MPH just on the back of your dad could do it to . His races in Atlantics and Pro Mazda series were very good , F1 could be a place he drives for soon . I really hope it happens .

Last edited by Avid Merrion; 29 May 2006 at 14:21.
Old 29 May 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1622067)   #21
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking to the future it would be good news for F1 if Marco ultimatly makes it in there as Formula one has so far failed to make it big in America. The presence of a home name,especialy from the Andretti clan would guarantee good coverage stateside.
Old 29 May 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1622072)   #22
Avid Merrion
Racer

Avid Merrion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I expect the viewing figures woud more than triple . The name Andretti really carries alot of weight over there in the States doesnt it .
Old 29 May 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1622078)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Twelve Americans would watch F1 then
Old 29 May 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1622098)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Marco is one I shall be looking out for as I believe he has the talent....he is, after all, an Andretti!

However, he is very young, very inexperienced and needs to do a lot more miles and racing before even thinking about Formula 1.

The Indy 500 did show he should have what it takes however.
Old 29 May 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1622103)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marco has had the road paved with gold for him and has yet to impress. I doubt F1 bosses are going to be all fired up over a driver that held his foot flat to the floor for 2 and a half hours and finished second.

A lot of people put a lot of stock in the famous name. I could care less. I only care about results and who they are as a person and driver, not who their father was.