Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Oct 2008, 14:27 (Ref:2308390)   #1
Robert RS
Rookie

Netherlands
Veenendaal
Robert RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMS 2009 Calendar

Press release:

2008 was a cracking season! The Le Mans Series races contributed to giving the colours of Le Mans
and endurance racing an even higher profile on the international scene.
The number of spectators who flocked to the five circuits starting with Barcelona followed by Monza,
Spa-Francorchamps, the Nürburgring and Silverstone grew exponentially, as they came to discover -or
rediscover- the fantastic on-track show provided by an extraordinary field of cars.

The 2009 calendar has been built with the wish to stick with this dynamic:
2009 Calendar*

8-9 March Official Test - Paul Ricard (France)
3-4-5 April 1000Km of Catalunya (Spain)
8-9-10 May 1000Km of Spa-Francorchamps (Belgium)
31 July -1-2 August 1000Km of Algarve (Portugal) – NIGHT RACE
28-29-30 August 1000Km of the Nürburgring (Germany)
11-12-13 September 1000Km of Silverstone (England)
*Subjected to the FIA World Council approval

A well-balanced season, with two races before the 24 Hours of Le Mans (12-13-14 June) and three
after, will meet many teams' expectations. Le Mans Series will be back on circuits where the 1000 Km
races are a tradition now such as Spa-Francorchamps, the Nürburgring or Silverstone. The Spanish
experience in Catalunya was a big success. Thus, the start of the season will be given on the
Barcelonese track for the second year.
A novelty on this calendar is the arrival of a new circuit in a new country. The Algarve racetrack in
Portugal will host the third round of the season. All teams and drivers, discovering a new layout, will
contest on equal terms for this Le Mans Series round to be one of the first international competitions on
this brand new circuit. The particularity of this round: it will be a night race! Starting by the end of the
afternoon, under a milder temperature, in August in Portugal, it will finish by the middle of the night.
What for a good opportunity to create, during one week-end, the Le Mans atmosphere for the
Portuguese and the tourists who are very numerous at this season!
To be noticed, the Paul Ricard circuit will offer the opportunity to the public to attend for the first time
the Le Mans Series Official Test!

Being studied:
- A prospective sixth race which, if was confirmed, would be announced at the latest on November,
15th on the occasion of the Le Mans Series official Prize Giving Ceremony.
- The move of the format of one race into a two 500 Km-rounds
Old 10 Oct 2008, 14:34 (Ref:2308396)   #2
jonm2
Rookie

United Kingdom
jonm2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert RS

Being studied:
- A prospective sixth race which, if was confirmed, would be announced at the latest on November,
15th on the occasion of the Le Mans Series official Prize Giving Ceremony.

Hmmm brno?
Old 10 Oct 2008, 14:35 (Ref:2308397)   #3
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What happened to Monza?
Old 10 Oct 2008, 14:36 (Ref:2308398)   #4
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wheres Monza?

I prefer the idea of 1000km events for the classics like Monza, Silverstone, Spa and Nurburgring, for places like Catalunya and Algarve 2x 500km race would be a good idea.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 10 Oct 2008, 14:38 (Ref:2308401)   #5
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Being studied:
One race on Saturday and one on Sunday? Wouldn't this increase costs?
Old 10 Oct 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2308429)   #6
Robert RS
Rookie

Netherlands
Veenendaal
Monza has mostly been dropped because of a complete lack of interest from italian spectators. At least that is what I've been told by Patrick Peter at the Nurburgring.

At the time part of the idea for two races in a weekend was to have a parc fermé between both races so that it would essentially be one race spread out over two days. I'm not a fan of this idea though, even if it makes more room for support series (and thus a better and more varied show for spectators on sunday).
Old 10 Oct 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2308432)   #7
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
while I totally agree running costs are a big consideration and the credit crunch etc..........5 races is still a bit laim in my opinion.........I was hoping to see a few more so it would be 8 or 9 races........the ALMS is currently 11 and that works a treat, as the time between the current 5 or 6 races is just too long, and I get quite bored waiting for the next.........also all the LMS circuits are big open fast circuits like Silverstone, Monza, Spa and LeMans itself.......a few medium to smaller circuits are required IMHO

Last edited by knighty; 10 Oct 2008 at 15:15.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 15:22 (Ref:2308440)   #8
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmm, won't there be a clash with the Spa 24h race ?
Old 10 Oct 2008, 15:25 (Ref:2308443)   #9
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
while I totally agree running costs are a big consideration and the credit crunch etc..........5 races is still a bit laim in my opinion.........I was hoping to see a few more so it would be 8 or 9 races........the ALMS is currently 11 and that works a treat, as the time between the current 5 or 6 races is just too long, and I get quite bored waiting for the next.........also all the LMS circuits are big open fast circuits like Silverstone, Monza, Spa and LeMans itself.......a few medium to smaller circuits are required IMHO
Completely.... 8 races at least would be a good starting point. Things are not nowadays and there is a serious financial problem that requires more contention in the budgets, but 5 races, even 6, is not what LMS needs in order to get more media ans public attention. Its all to fast, bu also to long (as "long" being log time without races)

Prepare yourselfs to see the "algarve carroucel".... and i will be there !!!!!!!

About the 2x 500km races... are we nuts?!!!! A mix of 1000km and 500Km races it would be nice, but this is endurance racing not sprit racing! There must be an equilibrium between endurance an tv friendly races. We canot burried the all concept of the series in order to get Eurosport atention.

Two races in a weekend looks like athing of a minor championship, with all the respect to WTCC.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 15:28 (Ref:2308447)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Dissapointing calendar.

So the Algarve night race is at Sunday evening. Isn't a race on Saturday evening more logic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
I 100% agree
Old 10 Oct 2008, 15:30 (Ref:2308450)   #11
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans.pt
Completely.... 8 races at least would be a good starting point. Things are not nowadays and there is a serious financial problem that requires more contention in the budgets, but 5 races, even 6, is not what LMS needs in order to get more media ans public attention. Its all to fast, bu also to long (as "long" being log time without races)

Prepare yourselfs to see the "algarve carroucel".... and i will be there !!!!!!!

About the 2x 500km races... are we nuts?!!!! A mix of 1000km and 500Km races it would be nice, but this is endurance racing not sprit racing! There must be an equilibrium between endurance an tv friendly races. We canot burried the all concept of the series in order to get Eurosport atention.

Two races in a weekend looks like athing of a minor championship, with all the respect to WTCC.
Is this a hint of the sixth event being one of the Asian rounds that are reported (ALMS State of the Series/09 schedule) to be two races each?

L.P.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2308460)   #12
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Is this a hint of the sixth event being one of the Asian rounds that are reported (ALMS State of the Series/09 schedule) to be two races each?
Brno was rumored to be the 6th event.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2308461)   #13
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG

L.P.
Think so? I hope not...

I hope to Brno in the schedule, and i don´t see the interest of ALMS and/or LMS going to Asia. For that, get courage, and start a World Championship!
Old 10 Oct 2008, 16:36 (Ref:2308484)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Im all for Brno ..... Im planning to go see that round .
Old 10 Oct 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2308490)   #15
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh
No FIA GT Calender yet as far as I am aware, so they might move the Spa 24H.

And it also says: "Subjected to the FIA World Council approval"

Tom.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 17:05 (Ref:2308497)   #16
Robert RS
Rookie

Netherlands
Veenendaal
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Dissapointing calendar.

So the Algarve night race is at Sunday evening. Isn't a race on Saturday evening more logic?

I 100% agree
Indeed, a race on saturday would have made much more sense!

However 8 or 9 1000km races would have a massive impact on team budgets and kill the series.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 17:12 (Ref:2308501)   #17
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
However 8 or 9 1000km races would have a massive impact on team budgets and kill the series.
They dont have to be all 1000km races. Keep the traditional 1000km races (Spa, Nurburgring, Silverstone, Monza(?) or other instead of Monza - 4 races total) and the new ones make them 500km, or even some of 380km like we saw in the eighty's.

But... Algarve at Night?!!!.... 10 Hours race...
Old 10 Oct 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2308526)   #18
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't understand the desire for 8+ races, 6 LMS, plus Le Mans, plus ALMS opportunities is enough for anyone.

Admitedly 2 x 500km races is strange, it must be a TV (Eurosport Live?) request, and it would be good to see a race on TV on the Saturday, then going to the event on the Sunday.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 18:29 (Ref:2308548)   #19
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
panoz.lmp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brno maybe in July: http://www.projectlemans.de/rennseri...mine-2009.html
Old 10 Oct 2008, 18:47 (Ref:2308558)   #20
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh
I guess...yes, the Spa 24 Hours are always in run the last week of July so it will be a BIG BIG clash, how on earth ACO and Peter could bring a creazy idea like this, if a race must be postponed it the Portuguese one !!!
Old 10 Oct 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2308563)   #21
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Spa is one week before....
Old 10 Oct 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2308566)   #22
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz.lmp1
Spa is one week before....
are you sure ?
Old 10 Oct 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2308570)   #23
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I don't understand the desire for 8+ races, 6 LMS, plus Le Mans, plus ALMS opportunities is enough for anyone
Did you not think the Group C calander worked then Jag ?
Plenty more races with full grids ..... If the teams are happy with that , why not ?
Old 10 Oct 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2308574)   #24
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi
are you sure ?
Not 100%. But somwhere i heard that and the only clash should be LMS Nürburgring and FIA-GT Bukarest.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2308583)   #25
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say I like the sound of the round in Portugal, which give me an idea.....