Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 16 Apr 2009, 18:06 (Ref:2442447)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Verdict Reached in Castroneves Tax Trial

So reports the Miami Herald in a headline on their front page, no details yet, because they won't announce until some form of resolution can come on the remaining undecided counts for Helio and his sister.

http://www.miamiherald.com/

This doesn't look good for him, IMO, especially since the jury reached verdicts on 4 of 4 for the advisor/attorney Miller....I'm thinking the two for Helio are both Guilty verdicts...

JMHO

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:25 (Ref:2443201)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WIBC-AM Radio in Indy, The Associated Press and other news sources have reported that the Verdict is in on Helio's Trial:

Acquitted on six Tax Evasion charges and hung on conspiracy. Jurry also hung on his sister's conspiracy charge.

The Attorney, Alan Miller, acquitted on all four counts.

Penske has the #12 car in Long Beach in case such a verdict did come down....

How quick can you get on a plane, Helio?

Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2443213)   #3
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
autosport.com is reporting him being aquitted on all charges....

While im very pleased for Helio, i cant help but feel a little sorry for Will Power. What next for him?
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2443216)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hurrah. That is good news.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:40 (Ref:2443222)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
According to every account I have seen thus far, he and his sister were acquiited on all tax evasion charges, but the jury was hung on their conspiracy charge.

From the AP:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...GES?SITE=OKOKL

A jury has acquitted Indy race car driver Helio Castroneves of tax evasion but hung on a count of conspiracy. That is directly from an AP wire story from a reporter who has been covering the trial since it began.

Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:41 (Ref:2443223)   #6
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
autosport.com is reporting him being aquitted on all charges....

While im very pleased for Helio, i cant help but feel a little sorry for Will Power. What next for him?
Heard Penske will run three cars apparently. We'll see.

Excellent news.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:45 (Ref:2443225)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
Heard Penske will run three cars apparently. We'll see.

Excellent news.
They have third transporter in LB with the #12 car anf verizon on the side of it

Penske has not said anything yet concerning running Helio at LB, but if anyone has a plan in place to try it, that would definitely be The Captain.

Old 17 Apr 2009, 18:56 (Ref:2443232)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
An updated AP story has quoted Helio as saying he will be getting on a plane for LA tonight.

Old 17 Apr 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2443245)   #9
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would imagine this means Penske will run three cars up to Indy, at least? I don't imagine Roger kicking Power to the curb that quickly after all this.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2443247)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Flake View Post
I would imagine this means Penske will run three cars up to Indy, at least? I don't imagine Roger kicking Power to the curb that quickly after all this.

Per Robin Miller, Penske has confirmed that Helio will drive the #3 this weekend and Power will race in a third Penske car.

The speculation out there is that Power likely will run through Indy, then it is up in the air...If he drives well in the next 3 races, maybe Roger keeps him for the year?

Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:00 (Ref:2443271)   #11
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Per Robin Miller, Penske has confirmed that Helio will drive the #3 this weekend and Power will race in a third Penske car.

The speculation out there is that Power likely will run through Indy, then it is up in the air...If he drives well in the next 3 races, maybe Roger keeps him for the year?
What was the last year Penske ran 3 cars? Late '80s?
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:05 (Ref:2443276)   #12
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'95 or something.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:14 (Ref:2443280)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh View Post
'95 or something.
In 1994, Penske had Tracy, Al Jr., and Emmo as his three drivers.

Tracy went to Newman/Haas in 1995, and only Little Al and Emmo remained with Roger....

I believ e they have been a two-car team ever since, but I could be wrong.

Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2443290)   #14
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Penske ran three cars in 1996 (Unser and Tracy in the two Marlboro cars, Fittipaldi in a Mobil 1-sponsored entry) until Emmo's accident at Michigan, if I recall.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2443311)   #15
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is so awesome! Welcome back Helio.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 22:10 (Ref:2443347)   #16
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gives us an extra car on the grid too... Welcome back Helio, take the race win Will
Old 17 Apr 2009, 22:19 (Ref:2443357)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too bad justice was not served.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 22:22 (Ref:2443362)   #18
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
NO, it was served. I believed he was innocent to begin with. Ive talked with Helio before, he is a class act!
Old 17 Apr 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2443382)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
From the news conference in LB:

Helio is in the #3 and Power will drive the #12 at LB and Indy

Old 17 Apr 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2443383)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I had no idea whether he did anything wrong. However I am pleased that he was found not guilty and will make no assertions otherwise. How can I?
Old 17 Apr 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2443393)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
He went through the process, a jury of his peers weighed the evidence thoroughly (since it took 6 days), and he was acquitted of six out of seven counts...they were still not unanimous on the conspiracy charges against Helio and his sister, but given the fact hewas acquitted on the other charges, the majority probably were in favor of acquittal...

The system ran through its process...whether the verdict was right or wrong in anyone's opinion does not matter...

As for the conspiracy charge, the govt. could go back to court on that, but since he was acquitted of the evasion charges, there would be little substance to the conspiracy charge, according to some tax lawyers I have spoken with, so it is over....he is a free man...

Just a side note: apparently the feds have a 90% conviction rate in cases like these...but the jury must have felt that they didn't prove their case...

Life goes on for Helio....I just wanted the process under our Constitution to run its course...that occurred over the past six weeks...

End of story...

Old 18 Apr 2009, 03:08 (Ref:2443500)   #22
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Flake View Post
Penske ran three cars in 1996 (Unser and Tracy in the two Marlboro cars, Fittipaldi in a Mobil 1-sponsored entry) until Emmo's accident at Michigan, if I recall.
I had to check on this, because I didn't remember him retiring after an accident and I thought Fittipaldi retired from a Hogan car. Looking at Wikipedia, he did get injured at Michigan (the 2nd race that year, the Michigan 500, not the U.S. 500), and he was driving for "Hogan Penske", which had Mobil 1 as a sponsor, and if I recall correctly was not done up in the traditional Marlboro Penske colors but was instead an all red paintjob.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 03:33 (Ref:2443509)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tracy went back to Penske in 1996.

I stand corrected...