Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 May 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1308540)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Heidfeld and Kimi "are boring" ?????

To all the people out there that say that Kimi or Heidfeld are "boring" because they lack of phoney jet-setting charisma, I say that auto racing is not what you say at the press conference, IT'S WHAT YOU DO ON THE TRACK !!!!
Old 24 May 2005, 02:19 (Ref:1308569)   #2
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo
To all the people out there that say that Kimi or Heidfeld are "boring" because they lack of phoney jet-setting charisma, I say that auto racing is not what you say at the press conference, IT'S WHAT YOU DO ON THE TRACK !!!!
Would you be so kind as to show some instances of people saying Kimi or Nick are boring?

I don't consider either boring. The "Iceman" might not be the worlds best interview candidate when it comes to raw emotion, but doesn't make him boring. And we did see him come out of his shell when things were going bad...
Old 24 May 2005, 04:37 (Ref:1308590)   #3
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i've never been photographed off my chops, pants around my ankles with a stripper standing over me so i shudder to think what i'd be rated as !

i personally think Kimi has shown more of himself in the past year or two which is great, but Heidfeld is a ghost away from the track - never seen nor heard. Some may like this, however in the area of attracting corporate dollars i'm sure companies want their cars and/or drivers in the spotlight one way or the other, therefore the drivers who may like to have a bit of a say every now and then and maybe attract a bit of extra attention - say a news article with an accompanying photo of the car which is done day in day out would be a more attractive prospect.

Therefore to say its only what you do ON the track that matters isnt entirely true any more unfortunately - you must be media savvy, personable, have an opinion because you will be asked about the topic of the week, and in the case of some teams the 'home' nationality is preferable
Old 24 May 2005, 04:55 (Ref:1308593)   #4
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Oz tv last weekend they did a story about a charity tennis tournament involving Nick, Webber and Masser. A week or 2 before that there was a story about Nick at a charity golf match. So I'm sure he's doing his bit for the sponsors.
Old 24 May 2005, 05:30 (Ref:1308601)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfit
On Oz tv last weekend they did a story about a charity tennis tournament involving Nick, Webber and Masser. A week or 2 before that there was a story about Nick at a charity golf match. So I'm sure he's doing his bit for the sponsors.
Yeah, I saw a pic of him somewhere playing golf in his racing suit!
Old 24 May 2005, 07:37 (Ref:1308666)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I do find it disturbing that people expect these drivers to behave in a certain way in, say, the press conference or elsewhere. Especially when they base it on the limited time we see the drivers and on their performance in frnot of the cameras. there is no law saying they should crack a joke for our benefit.

I loved watching Kimi's commitment throught the swimming pool, I could care less for a witty comment afterwards.

Besides the whole world missed Mika's (a different personality) wit in front of the camera and it was always there.

Anyway. An example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by post race press conference
Q: (Dan Knutson – National Speed Sport News) Mark and Nick, how much pressure were you under, because you were inches apart from Alonso, you wanted to pass him but at the same time, you didn’t want to face Frank after taking your teammate out?
MW: I wasn’t thinking about Frank I was thinking about Patrick. (Laughter) I wanted to get past both of them but it is so bloody difficult here, and of course Nick was frustrated by Fernando, I was frustrated by both of them considering that I felt that it obviously didn’t go my way, so it was even more disappointing, but anyway, that’s motor racing. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn’t I knew for the team to get second and third is an incredible result for them, considering the start we’ve had. So it’s good Patrick can sleep well tomorrow.
NH: I was not worried because they are used to that from the last couple of years!
No laughter after Nick's reply. Despite it being funnier IMHO.
Old 24 May 2005, 07:38 (Ref:1308668)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nobody's boring himself; it's other drivers that make you boring if they are'nt competitive enough to make you fight.
Old 24 May 2005, 08:16 (Ref:1308692)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It is on track that is the most important thing by far.

In terms of the off-track "wit", the whole world did not miss Mika's wit. A lot of people did, but plenty of us thought he had a sparkling sense of humour.

I find Kimi and Nick both to be perfectly interesting, but then I am interested in what they have to say rather than if they swing from the lights in a hotel ballroom or something.

Order of priorities:

The Essential Things

1) Actions on track (most important by a factor of one million-billion-trillion).

<That would be 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 (10^27) times more important than the next most important factor (No. 2 below), and by increasing factors as we move down the lists.>

2) Comments with regards on track actions by themselves, or involving themselves.

3) Comments on actions involving others on track, but not involving themselves (in many ways I prefer it when drivers decline to comment, but it is interesting to hear).

Non-essential But Interesting

4) Their thoughts on F1.

5) Comments on their careers.

6) Comments on what is important to them (beliefs etc), lif experiences.

I don't want to hear

1) Derogatory comments about other peoples' characters, or lifestyles etc.

2) Information about their sex lives, or such like.

3) In any context: unjustified negative comments/accusations, fueled by spite etc.
Old 24 May 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1308707)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About comments, it has to be noticed that the official F1 language is English, whereas both aren't.
It's hard to be real entertaining (like Mario Andretti was, for instance) when having to talk another (albeit well known) language.
Old 24 May 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1308762)   #10
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
As far as I know, knobody says that they are boring.

The thing that some people are saying, is that those two are boring when being interviewed in English.
But the same people are also saying, that Raikkonens interviews in english are improving (just like Hakkinens interviews in english were improving).
Old 24 May 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1308825)   #11
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Schumacher has a great sense of humour when you watch him on RTL - sometimes it just doesn't come across when you're not talking in your own tongue. I've died many a time at a foreign dinnertable.
Old 24 May 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1308830)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the people that labeled them boring are staying off this topic.
Old 24 May 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1308868)   #13
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found one old thread about the issue:

http://tentenths.com/forum/search.ph...7&pp=20&page=2

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 24 May 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1309124)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
kimi definatly doesn't give the best interview in english, i have always wondered if he is also a mumbler in finnish.
as for emotion, kimi's got a lot of it as seen whenever his car breaks down and he starts pushing stewards around and generaly acting, well like you think a race car driver should act.
as for heidfeld, i though his subdued attitude at the press conference was excellent considering all the negative things his teamate has said about him, he was quiet and left it on webbers shoulders to sound like a child.
as far as im concerend, its all good stuff.
Old 24 May 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1309201)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
He had an accident when he was young that affected his vocal chords.
Old 24 May 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1309293)   #16
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi is just as unclear in finnish, but in a way he is a celebrity against his will. He obviously isn't excited about cameras or interviews. This is frustrating mainly to journalists who write a lot of BS articles about him anyway. If I'd like to watch "interesting" celebrities I'd watch something else than F1, but the truth is I can't stand those people.
Old 25 May 2005, 00:46 (Ref:1309499)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well Alex Zanardi is the best personality in motorsport for decades (even throughout his troublesome time in F1), and his first language isn't English.

I do find Kimi frustrating to listen to at times, but I'm sure away from the cameras there is some semblance of a personality there.
Old 25 May 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1309662)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Apparently with his friends he's chatty...
Old 25 May 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1310163)   #19
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont think anyone over here has said that Kimi is a boring driver....
some drivers interviews are fun reading..... while some just put you to sleep.... Kimi falls into the latter unfortunately... it has nothing to do with his talent behind a wheel...some people are just good with the press....

BTW i think Nick is quite witty....
Old 26 May 2005, 02:36 (Ref:1310350)   #20
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If only Ricky Gervais could drive real fast... then we'd have a sport
Old 26 May 2005, 02:42 (Ref:1310352)   #21
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As long as some guys perform well on track and fully deserving his place as an F1 driver, it barely matters about how he speak at the press conference.

Not wanting to name names...but there are some drivers who love tough talk and talk and talk to the media, yet on the race track, they are not achieving much.

I love racers on the track, not people who race their mouth.
Old 26 May 2005, 04:46 (Ref:1310401)   #22
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"boring" because they lack of phoney jet-setting charisma
Absolutely incorrect!! There is no lack of a 'jet setting' charisma.........

just a 'charisma' of any type.