Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2000, 23:59 (Ref:22619)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
German newspaper 'Die Welt' had an interview with Michael Schumacher the other day.
I think you may find some of his answers very interesting.

Q: After the German soccer team's exit from Euro 2000 some newspapers wrote 'Germany is ashamed of you', referring to the soccer team. Are you concerned that maybe one day they might write like this about you?

MS: If one day for any reason, they write this about me, perhaps because I didn't learn from my mistakes, and people felt ashamed of me for that, well, I would have to learn to live with it. The fact that people would feel ashamed or embarrassed like that, I can understand that very well and I don't think it is spiteful at all. And I have seen headlines that were much worse.

Q: You too represent Germany. Who do you drive for in the first instance, for Germany, for Ferrari or for yourself?

MS: For Ferrari. And then for myself.

Q: Don't you feel anything at all anymore when you stand on top of the podium, as race winner, and listen to the German national anthem?

MS: Of course I do. It is always somehow overwhelming to hear it. But when our anthem plays I always stand alone, unless my wife is there. When the Italian one plays, which they play in honour of the winning team, all the Italians are there, in effect the entire Ferrari team. And when their emotions run high - that sort of feeling infects me as well then.

Q: Do you spend a lot of thought on your public image?

MS: All I want is to be treated fairly. I have no problems with being criticised if I have made a mistake, as long as the criticism remains above board and in keeping with reality. But that is not always the case. Unfortunately, I find again and again that certain journalists just don't want to know what really happened. I think there are many whose work is far too superficial, maybe because they don't know enough about the subject, which admittedly can be rather complicated. And then of course there is the competitive aspect within the press itself. Sometimes I really wonder why they just don't seem to get what really goes on. For me of course, these things are mostly pretty obvious.

Q: Did you have an idea before the season that things would work out this well?

MS: In my dreams yes, but I could not have imagined it like this. One thing is certain, from the very beginning Ferrari was strong enough to win by their own efforts, regardless of which McLaren driver was fastest.

Q: However, the fact that you have won five out of eight races is quite an achievement.

MS: There was a little luck involved as well. I could just as well have come second in the first two races. And in that case the points situation would look completely different. McLaren were not reliable enough at the beginning, whereas we were quick and reliable.

Q: What would have to happen for you not to become world champion this year?

MS: In motor sport, anything can happen. You can have a technical failure like we did in Monaco, you can make mistakes yourself. The championship is far from over.

Q: What goes through your mind when time and again you are at the receiving end of Ron Dennis' criticism. Only recently he said that you had touched the crash barrier in Monaco and that this was the reason why your suspension broke. Do you think this sort of thing can be called 'a mind game'?

MS: No, but I did begin to wonder. In Australia and Brazil he had been his old self. But then it seemed as if he had been asked to calm down a little. When there was nothing to be heard from him for some time I almost began to think that maybe he did change and stick to what he had been asked to do. Really I am glad that, after Monaco, he showed he was unchanged. It actually makes me laugh when someone like him comes along and says things that are patently untrue. Like in Imola last year, for instance, when he maintained how clever we had been when we did not change tyres at the second pit stop. And all the time he is standing there right in front of us, watching, while we change tyres.

Q: Just imagine you were in his position…

MS: I can't put myself in his position.

Q: But why would he say things like that?

MS: Maybe because he believes himself. Whenever the subject of Ferrari comes up, he thinks that the world is against him and as a consequence his objectivity suffers. As in Monaco: He really thinks that Ferrari and myself want to hush up the fact that I hit the Armco, even though that's not true.

Q: After the race in Canada you said that you want to return the favour to your teammate Rubens Barrichello, who let you take the win when he did not overtake you despite your technical problems.

MS: Yes. I was asked by the guys in the pit to drive slower because there was a problem, which they couldn't quite explain. We did not want to take the risk of not finishing. They told me, go slower, Rubens does too.

Q: Half the season is gone. What would you say about Barrichello?

MS: In my view he is strong, a bit stronger than Irvine. But luckily I can keep him at bay.

Q: You said that already before the season started. How did you know that?

MS: Experience. I have had many teammates who in turn had teammates and so I could draw comparisons. The rest was intuition, and hope.

Q: Most experts reckon that, per lap, you are about three tenths quicker than the rest of the field. Where does that kind of advantage come from?

MS: It could have to do with talent. Pete Sampras has dominated as a tennis player in the last few years and in the same way I think I have managed for now to stay ahead of my teammates so far.

Q: Talent alone is not enough though. At what point in your career did you know that you could do what others cannot and you had to do something about it?

MS: It went the other way round. I have always tried to work on myself and to keep improving. The feeling that you are better can come up during any practice session, any race. But by the same token it can also be called into question at any time, as with Hakkinen at the moment. People have also been sceptical about me. Sometimes I have doubts about myself as well.

Q: When would that have been then?

MS: Last year, during tests here at Magny-Cours there was such a moment. Irvine was incredibly quick and I just could not explain why I was a bit slower. I was trying to find the reasons for it everywhere, first with myself and then with the car.

Q: Are you actually still prepared to take as many risks as at the beginning of your career?

MS: During a race I don't really think that much about taking a risk here or there. At least not when I'm in the middle of a battle. Of course, it's a different story altogether when I'm testing.

Q: Do you attach any significance to statistics? For instance, you won your 40th grand prix in Canada?

MS: Well, you're constantly reminded of them. This particular one is one of the few that I am interested in.

Q: Do you think that this sort of number crunching could possibly be a reason for you to maybe hang on for another year or so, even though as a racing driver you would rather be inclined to end your career?

MS: It certainly is not the most important reason to continue. The main motivation always comes from trying to win the championship.

Q: Assuming that this year you win the title for Ferrari. Do you think that in the comedown afterwards you will go through some deep dark hole in your life because you would have achieved your great ambition?

MS: No. I've never been through such a really deep hole. With me, there are only smaller holes. Last winter, for example, there were a couple of weeks when I just did not want to do anything at all. No training, nothing. But after two weeks I was so disgusted with myself for not doing anything and getting fat, I just had to get back to work.

Q: When the duel with your brother was reported in the press, what was it that upset you so much?

MS: The lies. There were reports that we had shouted at each other, that we had a huge problem with the whole affair, that there was a big crisis, it just was not true. Of course we talked about the battle, had a normal discussion about how you could maybe do this better next time round. But so much has been written about this, with so many exaggerations, that in the end nobody believes you anymore. I suppose it would have been better to nod and say yes, but that's just not me.

Q: Is your brother really just an opponent like all the others?

MS: No, of course there is a difference. Take the situation in Silverstone for example, where we both were coming towards Bridge, a very fast corner: Ralf had turned in his car in front of me. With any other driver I might have taken a chance and if he had gone off it would have been his fault. But with my brother I gave way, of course. This sort of campaign could have resulted in him crashing out and, to me, the whole thing isn't worth that much. Besides, I knew I would have a chance to overtake him later.

Q: Willi Weber, your manager, once said that 'from the outset, Michael as the older brother is at a disadvantage.' Would this be a reason for you to retire once Ralf has a car that is technically equal to yours?

MS: No, but it might be a motivation for me to drive even faster. Usually though, the older brother is more inclined to look out for the younger one rather than the other way round. That situation won't arise, though, because we would never drive for the same team. It would not make any sense for either of us. In different teams, with equipment which is more or less equal - no problem. We'd have a lot of fun.

Q: Could you imagine the situation where you are the team boss and your brother is your driver?

MS: That won't happen because I'll never be team boss.

Q: If you were a team boss, hypothetically speaking, which drivers would you hire, excluding yourself?

MS: I would most definitely take a young driver into the team, maybe even two.

Q: Why? What would they have to be like?

MS: You have to be able to work together as a team, that's the most important thing. Somebody who is too set in his ways and who says that he could not adapt to this or that because he is too old, well, he has already lost. If you have somebody who is not willing to cooperate, and who does not want to develop and improve himself, there is no point in working with someone like that. In Formula 1 you have to cope with continuous development, in terms of technology, but also with regards to driving style.

Q: Could you give an example?

MS: My race in Barcelona 1994. My gearbox was stuck in fifth gear and I had to completely re-adjust my driving style. There are some drivers who would have problems in such a situation.

Q: How do you deal with all the rumours that surround you personally? The last one was that you would go to Renault in 2002, even though you still are under contract to Ferrari?

MS: I have always had to deal with this sort of thing, from the very beginning of my career. For example, I had just signed the contract with Ferrari and then six months later I read somewhere that I was going to Mercedes. Most of it is pure invention. A little while ago an Italian journalist told me that every day he has to write a whole page about Ferrari and Schumacher. Since not every day there is a story to be told, he simply has to think of one every now and then. As long as they don't hit below the belt with these stories, I'll just have to put up with them.

Q: At this point in time, are you able to think about your future?

MS: No. I guess that would be asking a bit too much. I mean, who really could do that, unless you're talking about some big company who has to make long-term plans. Really, I don't think beyond 2002.

Q: Do you have any idea as to why and when you would stop?

MS: If a driver suddenly came along whose times would be that much better than mine and I would have the feeling that I could not catch up - then that would be the time to stop.

Q: Do you believe that is going to happen?

MS: At the moment, no.
Old 12 Jul 2000, 01:06 (Ref:22652)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fascinating, Gerard, thanks.
I have to say that I envy his self confidence and sense of superiority.
Old 12 Jul 2000, 01:18 (Ref:22654)   #3
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for finding that gem of information Gerard

Very interesting, and informative.... I cant wait for Austria!

Makes me think of a certain sports company slogan...JUST DO IT!
Old 12 Jul 2000, 01:51 (Ref:22661)   #4
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you had left all the references about MS in the article, and just attached the rest, I still would have known MS was talking. His confidence, frank honesty, and the aura he emits when talking is so evident of the double world champ. Most people would describe it as arrogance, but he has dominated F1 for so long, that i think he has the right to be confident.
Old 12 Jul 2000, 05:34 (Ref:22675)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Good post, Gerard, I enjoyed reading it. Many Thanks. Now could you dig up a similar interview with Jacques, please?
Old 12 Jul 2000, 06:51 (Ref:22689)   #6
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you, Gerard. As you indicated at the outset . . . very interesting answers indeed.
Old 14 Jul 2000, 01:33 (Ref:23112)   #7
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was cool, thanks Gerard! Kinda funny how he answers alot of our questions.
Old 17 Jul 2000, 09:43 (Ref:23651)   #8
Rolandgunslinger
Rookie

Rolandgunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

That really was a good interview. Keep up the good work 10Tenths.