Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 16 Jun 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2900267)   #1
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
The never ending Toyota return to Le Mans (LMP1) Saga

Just took this heading from Mariantic :

Toyota testing Dome built open LMP1 - Autosport print ed.

Anyone got any more info on this exciting news ?
Old 16 Jun 2011, 13:57 (Ref:2900269)   #2
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
;
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Just took this heading from Mariantic :

Anyone got any more info on this exciting news ?

See this thread: Sportscar/GT (and Le Mans) Rumours 2011/12
Old 16 Jun 2011, 14:06 (Ref:2900274)   #3
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
@gustavobamba: In fact you posted twice:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...94#post2900094
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...95#post2900095
Old 16 Jun 2011, 14:28 (Ref:2900290)   #4
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post

Thanks

By the way do you think that Toyota will appear next year??? For me they just appear in 2013/14
Old 16 Jun 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2900645)   #5
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
By the way do you think that Toyota will appear next year??? For me they just appear in 2013/14
If the regulation revamp is coming in 2014, that would be quite bad timing. Even if 2014 was a transitional year but surely much lower weight* limit and engine regs based on energy limits* would need some new thinking.

* according to the leaked minutes on mulsannescorner.com
Old 16 Jun 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2900298)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Open topped is not the correct answer for the current regulations.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 16:07 (Ref:2900341)   #7
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would have prefered it was the S102 Coupé
Old 16 Jun 2011, 16:58 (Ref:2900361)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It doesn't say whether the car is open or closed.

They tested the open S101, using a V8TT and hybrid system, in 2008.

Then they commissioned and monitered the coupe S102, now they are testing a 2011 hybrid, possibly using a 2.0T. The new car has already been inspected by the ACO and expected to race within two years.

They're also testing a GTE mule based on the LFA, aimed at customers, developed in Cologne.

Last edited by JAG; 16 Jun 2011 at 17:23.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2900426)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
It doesn't say whether the car is open or closed

Above is the quote taken from Mariantic , but I dont have access to Autosport , which I assume you have .
Old 16 Jun 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2900450)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Above is the quote taken from Mariantic , but I dont have access to Autosport , which I assume you have .
Autosport say that Toyota have been testing an all new LMP1 hybrid designed to current rules. The car has been commissioned from Dome and follows tests with an adapted open top Dome S101 in late 2008. It does not say the new car is open.

It also says that some sources say the engine is not related to the current unit in the Rebellion car and it may be an all new 2 litre turbocharged unit.

It suggests they had been gearing up for an entry in 2012 but this may have been delayed following the earthquake.

The articles also quotes the ACO in saying that they are in touch with 4 new manufacturers interested in LMP1 including some big ones and some small ones.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2900453)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Mariantic's mistaken, it says they tested the S101 with a V8TT, and talks about that being an open car.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2900425)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12 View Post
Would have prefered it was the S102 Coupé

If it proves to be a match for Pug & Audi ..... if it happens ..... Im delighted its an open topper .

All you guys want to see is coupe's ..... what about variety !!!
Old 17 Jun 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2901063)   #13
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on Toyota! These rumours have been about for years!

Its good news anyway, as well as the potential of there being more manufacturers.

We currently have Audi, Peugeot and Aston Martin.

Honda will be back, wherever Toyota go, they follow (and vice versa). Nissan are rumoured to be getting involved as well.

As much as I like the mix of open and closed cars, le mans this year really did demonstrate the safety of coupes. Apart from safety reasons, mandating closed cars would also help differentiate sportscars from other forms of racing.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 17 Jun 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2901125)   #14
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
Honda will be back, wherever Toyota go, they follow (and vice versa). Nissan are rumoured to be getting involved as well.
I don't know about Honda coming to LMP1 as a factory team. They could do it very easily, but I just don't get the sense that the people in Japan are super thrilled about it. Honda did not really follow Nissan and Toyota with their previous Le Mans efforts (aside from the GTs from the mid-90s I guess) and they clearly have not followed Toyota into NASCAR and such. But, hey, they have few start up barriers if they did want in.

What I am wondering is when/if we will see Toyota providing engines (or more) for LMP2. Honda/HPD and Nissan/Nismo are already in there and having success. They may even make money off their LMP2 projects. It looks probable that Mazda will jump in next year as well. Of course, perhaps Toyota is questioning whether LMP2 will become a customer arms race of sorts with Judd/BMW and Ford/Roush & Mountune already in and Ferrari on the cusp of entering it seems.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 07:14 (Ref:2901257)   #15
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Honda were on the edge of going for a factory team but then we had the recession in 2008 and the quake earlier this year put the programme back in a big way.

I'm not sure how easily they could put together an works team, after what happened with Highcroft (which was mostly out of HPD's hands) a lot of teams would be wary of tying up with Honda.

re. the following the other I was referring to Honda and Toyota. There were rumours of Honda doing Nascar Trucks a few years ago but they never came to fruition as they wanted to do sportscars.

After the performance of the ARX-01e at Sebring this year I'm 100% sure we'll see the return of Honda to LMP1.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 16 Jun 2011, 17:12 (Ref:2900378)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Engine testing in a S101.5 or S102?
Old 16 Jun 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2900381)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
S101.5, but that was 2008.

If I'm reading it right, they're now testing an all new car, after monitering the performance of the S102. I don't have the magazine in front of me but I think it said TMG are running the car.

The project go-ahead was delayed because of the earthquake.

Last edited by JAG; 16 Jun 2011 at 17:26.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 17:27 (Ref:2900389)   #18
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
So, a Toyota S103???
Old 16 Jun 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2900399)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
Looks like it, I assume Dome and TMG are working together, with TMG also working on a GTE.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2900413)   #20
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I'd like to see these projects, any photos or just print? The LFA in GTE is just as exciting. I'm hoping the LMP project is a coupe, I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2900442)   #21
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think most of the poster's concerns are over the competitiveness of open-top cars. I wouldn't mind a variety, but apparently they're not competitive for a reason other than none of them have factory diesels in the back.

Chris
Old 16 Jun 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2900467)   #22
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
So they tested an older type engine configuration with the open car, then this possible new engine configuration with the hybrid in a coupe?
Old 16 Jun 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2900499)   #23
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is good news, lets all hope something comes through. I hope Dome and Toyota start back where they left off from the S102, a new 2.0T + hybrid drivetrain and styling by Dome... Good Stuff...
The S102 should have never been retired, it showed too much promise to not continue to the next step. Now if someone can also throw some $$$ towards Epsilon or Embassy and the factorys will have someone to be afraid of...
Old 16 Jun 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2900560)   #24
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Needless to say I was very happy when I got home from work and opened the mag up to see this. Maybe people will be less willing to buy into the 'TMG' smokescreen now, albeit we are seeing two different strands of development.

It will be interesting as to where this leaves Rebellion down the line.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 07:04 (Ref:2900742)   #25
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

It will be interesting as to where this leaves Rebellion down the line.
Lola said that they are going to be the sole supplier of Chassis for the Toyota engine and that 2 more cars would be made. So it leaves Rebellion racing for as long as they have the money too, plus one (or two) other teams.

To me it reads like Toyota are providing customer engines for the Lola chassis and are developing their own car.s