Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Will Audi join the LMS in 2008?
Yes! 37 82.22%
No! 4 8.89%
Who Cares! 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Dec 2007, 01:32 (Ref:2079120)   #51
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
And the last bullet on that slide is crystal clear... "DEPENDING on..TV rights...etc."
I think it's quite obvious Audi, Peugeout and the ACO/Peter will be working closely together to get things in order, they won't sit back and see how it plays out, nor would Audi they have mentioned the LMS if prelimanary discussions hadn't encouraged them.

I see this as Audi's way to pressure the LMS to get it's act in order on the promotional front, which even Peter accepts is needed, he isn't ignoreant of this need.

It has shades of Audis pressure on IMSA with regards to the P1 vs P2 regs.
Old 1 Dec 2007, 01:46 (Ref:2079127)   #52
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure it's that obvious although I'd like to think it will indeed happen and we will see the oh so much awaited breakthrough for the LMS. It's long due. And not being ignorant of a need does not mean you can/will be able to solve it.... I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old 1 Dec 2007, 02:56 (Ref:2079147)   #53
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Considering ALMS has already announced their intentions regarding rules, I think all Dr. Ullrich is saying is "don't change your minds."

I thought this was funny:
Quote:
The Audi Sport technicians, under the direction of Technical Director Dr Martin Mühlmeier, concentrate on detail improvements to the 650-hp TDI engine and the transmission and aerodynamic areas
So detail improvements result in a net loss of 10-15% of power?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 1 Dec 2007, 06:19 (Ref:2079187)   #54
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi has always said the R10 makes 650 hp. Just at Porsche said that they made only 480. Factories underestimate their outputs and everyone else overestimates.
Old 1 Dec 2007, 08:33 (Ref:2079221)   #55
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche45
Forget the man, who's the woman?
the woman is a lady called Maren Braun, and to add a personal touch, it was her first public reappearence since maternity leave...
Old 1 Dec 2007, 09:40 (Ref:2079240)   #56
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I think it's quite obvious Audi, Peugeout and the ACO/Peter will be working closely together to get things in order, they won't sit back and see how it plays out, nor would Audi they have mentioned the LMS if prelimanary discussions hadn't encouraged them.

I see this as Audi's way to pressure the LMS to get it's act in order on the promotional front, which even Peter accepts is needed, he isn't ignoreant of this need.

It has shades of Audis pressure on IMSA with regards to the P1 vs P2 regs.
Totally agree, my thoughts precisely!

The intention is there, the programme and budget has been approved by the new hierarchy (who actually appear to have upped the ante in motorsport rather than cutting it back). Audi want to be there racing against Peugeot, this is simply a public reiteration of what I am sure has already been agreed with PP to make sure he gets his act together with regard to the PRO-MO-TION of the Series. Sabre rattling, that's all..............
Old 1 Dec 2007, 23:31 (Ref:2079577)   #57
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How long have we, the fans, banged on about promotion, at least now someone with real influence is putting the pressure on.
Old 2 Dec 2007, 02:54 (Ref:2079617)   #58
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter and the Rat can increase the promotion all they want. They can give away tickets. They can race on TV in prime time. But if they keep mandating slow drivers to slow down fast cars, few fans will take them seriously.

In that regard, Europe is no different than elsewhere; fans know when they are watching the best and when they are not. But Audi is happy about the LMS, since they've been guaranteed they can't be embarrassed by Porsche in Europe. They may get their TV and promotion, but crowds will continue to be unlikely as long as it's not really a sport that is based on the best team/car/drivers winning.
Old 2 Dec 2007, 06:32 (Ref:2079650)   #59
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
Peter and the Rat can increase the promotion all they want. They can give away tickets. They can race on TV in prime time. But if they keep mandating slow drivers to slow down fast cars, few fans will take them seriously.

In that regard, Europe is no different than elsewhere; fans know when they are watching the best and when they are not. But Audi is happy about the LMS, since they've been guaranteed they can't be embarrassed by Porsche in Europe. They may get their TV and promotion, but crowds will continue to be unlikely as long as it's not really a sport that is based on the best team/car/drivers winning.
I respected your views, but you've really gone down in my estimations with some of your recent comments, not least because the very same ALMS you don't have a bad word to say about have been trailblazers for performance balancing in ACO racing, with the '06 Aston vs GM battle one of the low points for this sport in recent years.

If all's forgiven for the ALMS, is it really too much to ask for the LMS organisors to be given the benefit of the doubt, and given time to rectify their mistake, if indeed that is what it is?

TBH, your posts come across as being rather bitter and envious of the LMS's grids and potential, which would be rather strange seeing as the ALMS is such a fantastic series, of which a strong LMS will only help.
Old 2 Dec 2007, 15:39 (Ref:2079943)   #60
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Endurance-info had an interview with Dr. Ullrich: http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=4546 It does not contain a lot of new information:
  • with current LMP1 rules, diesels need the maximum displacement (5500 cc) to be competitive at Le Mans; a V10 could be an option to decrease the weight, but Audi is sticking with their V12 choice
  • Audi has been contacted by others to run their V8 TFSI, but they have to come with a decent budget
  • apparantly Audi is influencing the calendar (I suppose of LMS) to avoid certain clashes! I think this implies that they want to do ALMS+LMS with their 9 confirmed Le Mans pilots

Important detail:
Quote:
The english version of this article will be available in a few hours.
Old 2 Dec 2007, 16:52 (Ref:2079961)   #61
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Patrick Peter confided that his team is working very hard on the courverture mediatique of Le Mans Series, and to improve the promotion. This is an aspect indeed become indispensable now. "As regards the timetable, we should be able to reveal to December 15. Then we will ask those competing with us very quickly their application for the selection committee can gather mid-January. It is necessary for teams and sponsors to be fixed as soon as possible to tackle the season in the best conditions. "

We then reviewed Patrick Peter in apparté to return more details on the arrival of Audi. "We are working closely with Audi Sport for some time. We are well aware of their expectations. I can not even you reveal what we work. But I can tell you with the information in my possession, that the presence of Audi is carried out at 99%. "
http://translate.google.com/translat...6rlz%3D1I7ADBF

Last edited by JAG; 2 Dec 2007 at 16:54.