Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Will Audi join the LMS in 2008?
Yes! 37 82.22%
No! 4 8.89%
Who Cares! 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Nov 2007, 15:21 (Ref:2078763)   #26
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Three cars at LeMans, participation in ALMS and in LMS:

http://www.planetlemans.co.uk/cmsv2/...=3478&Itemid=2

DK
Old 30 Nov 2007, 15:30 (Ref:2078771)   #27
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Any native English speaker presents? What does the following exactly mean?
Quote:
Audi plans to enter two cars in the American Le Mans Series and the Le Mans Series in Europe through Audi Sport North America in the USA and Reinhold Joest's team in Europe.
2 cars in ALMS and LMS. Or 2 cars in ALMS and 2 cars in LMS

So Biela and Pirro will be only do Le Mans. Not nice for Biela: another year of near unemployement.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 15:50 (Ref:2078788)   #28
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Any native German speakers present?
Quote:
In der American-Le-Mans-Serie und in der europäischen Le-Mans-Serie plant Audi den Einsatz von je zwei Fahrzeugen durch das Team Audi Sport North America in den USA und die Mannschaft von Reinhold Joest in Europa.
Doesn't this say 2 car each for Champion and Joest?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:17 (Ref:2078812)   #29
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 in both I belive.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:20 (Ref:2078815)   #30
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64186 interpreted it in a different way:
Quote:
That means that Frank Biela, who was out of contract with Audi after June of this year, will remain involved with them, while Emanuele Pirro will also only race at Le Mans.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:27 (Ref:2078821)   #31
Robbe
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Robbe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In der American-Le-Mans-Serie und in der europäischen Le-Mans-Serie plant Audi den Einsatz von je zwei Fahrzeugen durch das Team Audi Sport North America in den USA und die Mannschaft von Reinhold Joest in Europa.
ALMS: 2 cars run by Audi Sport North America
LMS: 2 cars run by Joest

Regular drivers: Luhr, Capello, McNish, Werner

(Are there any calendar conflicts between ALMS and LMS? If not I assume they will do both with the same drivers)

The official press release also says Pirro and Biela will do Le Mans once again, and Audi wants to keep them for the time after their active career to represent Audi.
So Le Mans as the last race for both?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:27 (Ref:2078822)   #32
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It also says that the correct & marketing TV package plus rules that position LMP1 as the top category are conditions of entering both series - so the statement doesn't really commit to anything except Le Mans itself
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:35 (Ref:2078827)   #33
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
It also says that the correct & marketing TV package plus rules that position LMP1 as the top category are conditions of entering both series
I would suggest that, behind the scenes, Audi must be livid with the Penske Porkers. P Peter's gentlemen 'rule' carries more teeth than i thought.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:37 (Ref:2078829)   #34
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbe

(Are there any calendar conflicts between ALMS and LMS? If not I assume they will do both with the same drivers)

Yes - there are some:
April 5 : ALMS : St. Petersburg
April 6 : LMS : 1000km of Barcelona
April 26 : ALMS : Houston
April 27 : LMS : 1000km of Monza
May 18 : LMS : 1000km of Spa-Francorchamps
May 18 : ALMS : Salt Lake City
(as posted on Mariantic)
so sharing the same crews is unlikely - it won´t work without Pirro/Biela
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:38 (Ref:2078830)   #35
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbe
Yes.
  • April 5 : St. Petersburg (ALMS)
  • April 6 : 1000 km of Barcelona (LMS)
  • April 26 : Houston (ALMS)
  • April 27 : 1000 km of Monza (LMS)
  • May 18 : Salt Lake City (ALMS)
  • May 18 : 1000 km of Spa (LMS)
source: http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/webs.asp

So if Audi races in both ALMS and LMS, they will race with different driver lineups. Otherwise it does not make sense with championship points.

Thus Pirro and Biela might not be unemployed after Le Mans afterall. And Audi might need 2 extra drivers...
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:44 (Ref:2078832)   #36
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64186 interpreted it in a different way:
With having 2 cars in each series there is need for 8 regular R-10 drivers. So I do not see anyone being relegated in this case. The ALMS/LMS have 3 races which conflict with each other this year ( St. Pete/Barcelona, Houston/Monza and Utah/Spa ) and I do not think that Joest will accept anything but a full on attack at the LMS. So I would expect the LMS driver teams to be set for the entire season and the conflicts make that impossible to run both series with the same drivers!

L.P.

edit: Dang, I do not type fast enough!!!
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:47 (Ref:2078834)   #37
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
In the most optimistic scenario Audi will need 2 extra drivers. How many LMS races overlap with DTM races? Maybe they can use Rockenfeller and Premat.
I just compared the calendars of LMS and DTM, and there is only one clash: 1000 km of Spa and DTM race at Lausitzring are on May 18.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:47 (Ref:2078835)   #38
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes.
  • April 5 : St. Petersburg (ALMS)
  • April 6 : 1000 km of Barcelona (LMS)
  • April 26 : Houston (ALMS)
  • April 27 : 1000 km of Monza (LMS)
  • May 18 : Salt Lake City (ALMS)
  • May 18 : 1000 km of Spa (LMS)
source: http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/webs.asp

So if Audi races in both ALMS and LMS, they will race with different driver lineups. Otherwise it does not make sense with championship points.

Thus Pirro and Biela might not be unemployed after Le Mans afterall. And Audi might need 2 extra drivers...
Do these dates clash with DTM?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:50 (Ref:2078840)   #39
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
I have just check and the 18th May is the only date clash - is it possible they could run DTM drivers in LMS except Spa?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:50 (Ref:2078841)   #40
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
I was already on to that Overlap between DTM and ALMS is worse.

The weekend of May 18 there will be a ALMS, LMS and DTM event. So using Rockenfeller and Premat in LMS is not an option.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:52 (Ref:2078844)   #41
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I just compared the calendars of LMS and DTM, and there is only one clash: 1000 km of Spa and DTM race at Lausitzring are on May 18.
That's a major clash.........ALMS, LMS and DTM all on the same day!
Old 30 Nov 2007, 16:54 (Ref:2078845)   #42
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
I have just check and the 18th May is the only date clash - is it possible they could run DTM drivers in LMS except Spa?
In that case Rockenfeller/Premat will not score championship points that weekend, but Audi could solve that by pairing these youngsters with the oldies, e.g., Biela/Rockenfeller and Pirro/Premat.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 17:24 (Ref:2078867)   #43
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
With a little effort (i.e. a private jet) it might be possible for Rocky and Premat to race at Spa.
The race at the Lausitzring will be over at about 15.00, so they might be able to get to Spa by plane to drive the final stint. Audi would need two additional drivers though, as I don't think it would be allowed for Pirro and Biela to drive a 4 or 5 hr stint.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 17:58 (Ref:2078884)   #44
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
That's a major clash.........ALMS, LMS and DTM all on the same day!
(Been there, seen it and could understand it )
this was actually mentioned by Ulrich.
The decisions have not been made for both caregories
ALMS: Audi wants the LMP1 to be the top race class, so make the rules that can win
LMS: Audi wants the TV coverage and marketing better organised. (it was not mentioned, but I am sure this is something that they should organise behind the scened together with Peugeot).

So conclusion: No decision as yet but a clear intention to enter both series. Team Joest does LeMans with 3 cars ( with the same driver line-up as last year) and LMS with 2, while Team Audi America does ALMS with two cars.

Furthermore apart from Luhr they will need two more drivers.

Last edited by henk4; 30 Nov 2007 at 18:00.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 18:02 (Ref:2078888)   #45
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
It also says that the correct & marketing TV package plus rules that position LMP1 as the top category are conditions of entering both series - so the statement doesn't really commit to anything except Le Mans itself
It should be pointed out that Patrick Peter, on Endurance Mag stated they could have spent huge sums promoting the series upto now, but have been waiting until the schedule and on track product was of a sufficient standard.

I guess the time to unlock the piggy bank has arrived!

Last edited by JAG; 30 Nov 2007 at 18:11.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 18:51 (Ref:2078925)   #46
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
With a little effort (i.e. a private jet) it might be possible for Rocky and Premat to race at Spa.
The race at the Lausitzring will be over at about 15.00, so they might be able to get to Spa by plane to drive the final stint. Audi would need two additional drivers though, as I don't think it would be allowed for Pirro and Biela to drive a 4 or 5 hr stint.
It may be possible to do in the extreme but that to me is not bringing the "A" game to the LMS. And I, at least, would think that they would want their "A" game to go up against Peugeot! Or anyone else who might push to the sharp edge next year.

L.P.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 20:36 (Ref:2078966)   #47
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
just for fun, here is the man, with the Audi 2007 programme projected behind him..

http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?i...riich1sss3.jpg
Old 30 Nov 2007, 23:35 (Ref:2079072)   #48
porsche45
Racer

United States
porsche45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
just for fun, here is the man, with the Audi 2007 programme projected behind him..

Forget the man, who's the woman?
Old 1 Dec 2007, 00:35 (Ref:2079098)   #49
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the statement (and previous history and declarations) it was clear that they want to commit to ALMS if IMSA gets the extra weight on the LMP2s. This seems to be the case (at least partially) and, as the Diesel marketing is just starting in the US (including gasoline at an unprecedent 3$/gallon courtesy of OPEC), all indicates this is a very probable deal.

On the LMS obviously they want to race Peugeot but they want it to be known!! At the risk of repeating myself...this needs more PRO-MO-TION!!!!!

Thanks Henk for the spin, it makes absolute sense. The ball on the LMS' court now....
Old 1 Dec 2007, 00:37 (Ref:2079099)   #50
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4

And the last bullet on that slide is crystal clear... "DEPENDING on..TV rights...etc."