Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 19 Oct 2023, 18:22 (Ref:4182049)   #1
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hyperpole to set a bit of the grid for WEC.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...r-full-season/
Oh dear, what is that needed for?
Old 19 Oct 2023, 18:48 (Ref:4182056)   #2
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
It is needed as a place holder until the following year with they introduce a 3 tiered qualifying session like F1 has.
Old 19 Oct 2023, 19:45 (Ref:4182063)   #3
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Better ratings if you split the quali in a 2 sessions, magically double your viewers
Old 19 Oct 2023, 23:24 (Ref:4182083)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wouldn’t bother with a specific qualifying session at all. Just best time in all practice. Qualifying is not important.

But, whatever, I can’t get worked up about this for the same reason. Qualifying is not important.

They should do what they want. If it means people tune in more and it gets people interested in the race then fine, it’s a reason. Qualifying is not important.
Old 20 Oct 2023, 13:00 (Ref:4182151)   #5
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Starting grid should be arranged by race hauler arrival
Old 20 Oct 2023, 13:31 (Ref:4182155)   #6
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
For years I've been joking about a 'paddock start', just blow the horn and they all come out racing from their pit stalls! Never mind the paddock traffic...
Old 20 Oct 2023, 13:58 (Ref:4182161)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
On the contrary, I always thought that the qualifying start (in any racing series) should have each car leave the pitlane every 2-3 second, to reduce blocking.
Old 20 Oct 2023, 14:09 (Ref:4182164)   #8
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Oh I was talking skip quali entirely. Grid set at arrival and just practice sessions
Old 20 Oct 2023, 21:55 (Ref:4182210)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Starting grid should be arranged by race hauler arrival
why not.

I once entered a race that the grid was decided by the order in which the entry money arrived!
Old 20 Oct 2023, 22:06 (Ref:4182211)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
why not.

I once entered a race that the grid was decided by the order in which the entry money arrived!
Was the following year subscribed up to quickly?
Old 20 Oct 2023, 22:10 (Ref:4182213)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I entered a race. The grid was decided by the order they got the entries. I was mid grid.

They did the same the following year. I didn’t enter. I couldn’t make it
Old 22 Oct 2023, 16:58 (Ref:4182463)   #12
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
why not.

That is pure race-orginiser brilliance!
Old 22 Oct 2023, 18:46 (Ref:4182474)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It is how they organized the Plum Pudding at Mallory on Boxing Day. Super fun.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 08:45 (Ref:4182566)   #14
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Grid set by largest engine capacity x number of cylinders. (Capacity used before I thought). Any tied places set by loudest engine at 5000 revs in pit from 3 metre behind car at midpoint.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 12:15 (Ref:4182610)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Why not. Sensible rules for a modern series. I like it.

Yes, at least back on the 50s I believe it was cc.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 13:08 (Ref:4182618)   #16
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
What is the average number of laps completed in 10 minutes, LM excepted? I guess we'll see only one driver per car during Q and Hyperpole.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 14:27 (Ref:4182640)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
What is the average number of laps completed in 10 minutes, LM excepted? I guess we'll see only one driver per car during Q and Hyperpole.
And that is so exciting, isn't it......not. I detest hyperpole.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 18:08 (Ref:4182660)   #18
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Qualifying isn't important to some? I think it is, especially with the expanded grid of cars fighting for the overall win. 15, 16 prototypes fighting for the win, your starting position can determine whether you start in clear air up front or whether you get caught up in a first turn scuffle because someone is locking up (like at Fuji last race).
Old 23 Oct 2023, 20:51 (Ref:4182689)   #19
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Qualifying isn't important to some? I think it is, especially with the expanded grid of cars fighting for the overall win. 15, 16 prototypes fighting for the win, your starting position can determine whether you start in clear air up front or whether you get caught up in a first turn scuffle because someone is locking up (like at Fuji last race).
I suppose in theory you can get hit no matter your starting position, and unless the cars are more evenly matched in the coming seasons, the faster cars are going to pull away at any given track (assuming they make first corner). so starting position might not be too important. Although the fastest cars in race trim tended to also be fastest in qualy this year.

I don't think people have a problem with setting the grid by speed of the cars, but there is a group of us who don't want that grid set over 10-15 minutes when there could be hours of practice before that could be used to set the grid. But maybe i'm misinterpreting others thoughts on the matter.
Old 24 Oct 2023, 13:26 (Ref:4182785)   #20
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Why are we bothering with hours of practice to then run hours more of hyperpole nonsense. IMSA is perfectly fine with a straight sprint quali and fairly short and easy process without the modern driver whinging on about traffic. Hyperpole is nothing but a cryfest and pointless, might as well start by arrival at track or postmark of your entry
Old 24 Oct 2023, 15:29 (Ref:4182806)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
IMSA doesn't have two classes.
Old 24 Oct 2023, 16:09 (Ref:4182818)   #22
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
And that is so exciting, isn't it......not. I detest hyperpole.
Complete non sense in endurance IMO.
Old 24 Oct 2023, 19:48 (Ref:4182857)   #23
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
IMSA doesn't have two classes.
No it runs 3 sessions and had run 4.

Takes just over an hour and done with it
Old 25 Oct 2023, 13:52 (Ref:4182956)   #24
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I suppose in theory you can get hit no matter your starting position, and unless the cars are more evenly matched in the coming seasons, the faster cars are going to pull away at any given track (assuming they make first corner). so starting position might not be too important. Although the fastest cars in race trim tended to also be fastest in qualy this year.

I don't think people have a problem with setting the grid by speed of the cars, but there is a group of us who don't want that grid set over 10-15 minutes when there could be hours of practice before that could be used to set the grid. But maybe i'm misinterpreting others thoughts on the matter.
At Le Mans you loose hours of great qualifying and interest in fastest laps and consistency for a few minutes of TV hyperbole - with a TV audience of few thousand on eurosport (bet its less than spectators at the event on a Thursday). It also finishes early and also later practice sessions have lost interest/purpose and they also shut down earlier now.

No real need to separate classes as pretty spread out - unlike some race series where they seem to catch the GT cars chain every 30 mins or so after a SC period.
Old 26 Oct 2023, 13:24 (Ref:4183082)   #25
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
What does this have to do with the schedule?