Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Aug 2012, 09:01 (Ref:3123418)   #1276
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Bet he wished he had the money he used for a abysmal Le Mans effort now !!!

I saw this coming last April ........
Old 23 Aug 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3123430)   #1277
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really a shame if that is the end. Can't even really say I was proud to his the team's final race.

I'm torn because a part of me has a lot of respect for Henri - for fighting tooth and nail to pull something together when the odds were stacked against him. He almost wanted it too badly that he wasn't prepared to bide his time.

But you have to stay visible if you want to attract any business. I just think the way he went about the last few months had some elements of desperation in it - as we saw evidenced by some of his various turmoils. I think that ultimately devalued and hurt the reputation of his outfit.

I don't naturally have the full details, that's just my feelings. But full respect to the guy for wanting to go racing. His legend status was secured even before I was born.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 09:45 (Ref:3123439)   #1278
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Really a shame if that is the end. Can't even really say I was proud to his the team's final race.

I'm torn because a part of me has a lot of respect for Henri - for fighting tooth and nail to pull something together when the odds were stacked against him. He almost wanted it too badly that he wasn't prepared to bide his time.

But you have to stay visible if you want to attract any business. I just think the way he went about the last few months had some elements of desperation in it - as we saw evidenced by some of his various turmoils. I think that ultimately devalued and hurt the reputation of his outfit.

I don't naturally have the full details, that's just my feelings. But full respect to the guy for wanting to go racing. His legend status was secured even before I was born.
Well said Simmi.
Henri Pescarolo is proof that "all pr is good pr" isn't always true.

Perhaps Henri believed to much in the "old" Le Mans where the under budget underdog had a fighting chance, instead of realizing that he could never be more than best of the rest, when the manufactures participated.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3123443)   #1279
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Well said Simmi.
Henri Pescarolo is proof that "all pr is good pr" isn't always true.

Perhaps Henri believed to much in the "old" Le Mans where the under budget underdog had a fighting chance, instead of realizing that he could never be more than best of the rest, when the manufactures participated.
2004 - 4th (behind 3 R8s)
2005 - 2nd (behind R8)
2006 - 2nd (behind the new R10)
2007 - 3rd (behind 1 R10 and 1 new 908) - Rollcentre finished 4th with their Pescarolo 01

Pescarolo gave Audi a run for their money for three years and really had a winning chance. It wasn't until 2008 when Pescarolo became best of the rest, manly due to the diesel rules.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 09:57 (Ref:3123446)   #1280
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam View Post

The Dome's problems appear to have been engine-related.

Did Judd just make a dodgy batch of P1 motors?--like Peugeot did a few years ago.
I was just about to write it but noticed you said it already for me!.........yes the chassis had a few niggles with steering and such like but it was essentially a good car let down by a bad powertrain package from Judd, the LMP2 base engine when it was morphed over to LMP1 duties was obviously done on the back of a cigarette packet and under developed, it appears they were operating directly in the region of a massive resonant frequency of the crankshaft and it was shaking the whole car to pieces.........but in Judds defence, they are not a charity and Judd would have probably offered Henri 2 options, 1) you can have the "back of the fag packet" design very quickly and at minimal cost, but there is a risk with reliability.........or you can have the properly designed item in 12 months time with the associated huge design and development costs, but the risk is low.........we all know henri took option 1 and the risk backfired badly........hey ho, you live and learn, well done for trying I say, Henri will be back somewhere at some point I'm sure, but I wouldnt blame hime for doing a "brian hart"
Old 23 Aug 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3123469)   #1281
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
2005 - 2nd (behind R8)
2007 - 3rd (behind 1 R10 and 1 new 908) - Rollcentre finished 4th with their Pescarolo 01

Pescarolo gave Audi a run for their money for three years and really had a winning chance. It wasn't until 2008 when Pescarolo became best of the rest, manly due to the diesel rules.
In 2004 Pescarolo never had the chance of victory. 2005 the R8 was 5years old and the hybrid rules gave the Pescarolo a huge advantage. 2006 it was Audi's victory to loose. 2007, Pescarolo still did not have a fighting chance against Audi and Peugeot.
Audi has been too good to ever let Pescarolo be able to fight for a winning chance. (except in 2005, where the R8 was outdated and the Pescarolo had a regulation advantage)
Old 23 Aug 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3123479)   #1282
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
But to be honost not really a surprise.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 18:29 (Ref:3123688)   #1283
MartinPlatt
Rookie

MartinPlatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pesca gets the benefit of the doubt first time around but not now.

If money was short he should have made do with an updating his old car or forged links with a builder, imagine what costs their are in building a LMP-1 which in theory was to challenge Audi. That could have gone towards racing and preparing for 2014 when his innovative thinking could have made a real difference with open engine regulations and tactical racing.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 23:58 (Ref:3124356)   #1284
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
If this is the end, and somehow I can't help feeling it is, then all that we should do is say thank you for the 14 years (give or take) of contribution that team Pescarolo has given us.

In the greater scheme of things that stacks up nicely with a lot of the other iconic squads like Kremer or Gulf Mirage, and I like to think we'll come to remember Pescarolo in the same light - combine that with the driving record and I think we've been privileged to witness something really memorable.

For all that we'd all wish that things this year had panned out differently, how much better is it that Pescarolo Sport went west answering the sound of the guns, trying something new and different? As Mulsanne Mike put it (and I paraphrase a little, but sure I can find a direct quote if pushed) this was "the most exciting LMP1 project around" - and I can't argue with that as an approach. In striving for something different, which might have worked, I think Henri, even the last year, will be much more memorable than any number of customer entries.

Salut Henri, et bon journee.

Last edited by isynge; 24 Aug 2012 at 23:59. Reason: language
Old 25 Aug 2012, 00:11 (Ref:3124359)   #1285
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
If this is the end, and somehow I can't help feeling it is, then all that we should do is say thank you for the 14 years (give or take) of contribution that team Pescarolo has given us.

In the greater scheme of things that stacks up nicely with a lot of the other iconic squads like Kremer or Gulf Mirage, and I like to think we'll come to remember Pescarolo in the same light - combine that with the driving record and I think we've been privileged to witness something really memorable.

For all that we'd all wish that things this year had panned out differently, how much better is it that Pescarolo Sport went west answering the sound of the guns, trying something new and different? As Mulsanne Mike put it (and I paraphrase a little, but sure I can find a direct quote if pushed) this was "the most exciting LMP1 project around" - and I can't argue with that as an approach. In striving for something different, which might have worked, I think Henri, even the last year, will be much more memorable than any number of customer entries.

Salut Henri, et bon journee.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Teams like Pescarolo are part of the reason we love Le Mans so much. They have their time, but they do eventually fall, like all the teams you mentioned above, and that's part of the mystique.

When they do go, they are never quite replaced.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 08:18 (Ref:3124415)   #1286
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
He shoulda gone for a HPD engine !!!

They dont all fall ..... Joest was a privateer once upon a time .

But yes , isynge , good post .
Old 26 Aug 2012, 19:22 (Ref:3125442)   #1287
RacingSportsCars
Rookie

RacingSportsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
2005 - 2nd (behind R8)

...mainly because of more serious factory involvement. Toyota is a real prove and I am happy for them because I could not stand repeating this lie over and over again even by a very respected media. Some even tent to continue calling the factory entries as a diesel class this year when Toyota ran in that some people asked me if it is really also diesel powered... How ridiculous :-(
Old 27 Aug 2012, 01:13 (Ref:3125590)   #1288
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another pretty good point. We will never know if the diesel equivalency rules of prior years were balanced or biased. We do know that this year, the pendulum swung as far to the gasoline side as it ever had, and it proved to be just enough.

One school of thought says that if the equivalency formula is right this year, it must have favored diesels all those other years, because---it favored diesels more all those other years.

Another school of thought says, maybe a serious factory effort would have overcome all that--displacement bonus, rate of fuel fill bonus, fuel tank capacity bonus--which were taken away this year to give us balance.

No way to know. But it is proven on track that the ACO/FIA got the rules right this time.
Old 27 Oct 2012, 20:21 (Ref:3158622)   #1289
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The December 2012 edition of RCE has an interview with John Judd: http://gb.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue...&prev=sub&p=24

Judd explains the problems of the Pescarolo 03.
Quote:
They had a torrid time in qualifying, put the engine in, and it then stuck in first gear going out of the pit lane, so Emmanuel [Collard] tried to do a lap of Le Mans in first gear. It is an unusual thing to do. At some point the engine quit. From the data clearly he did a sensible job and he was not in a hurry to get back, so he spent some time on the rev limiter and some time not, but we saw the engine temperatures rise and it all came to a grinding halt.
Judd fitted a spare engine that was set up for another of its teams.
Quote:
We took off the inlet manifold, scavenge pump and switched to Pescarolo specifications. When they went out, it was on seven cylinders because one of the injectors that came with the airbox assembly from another engine, and which was working perfectly well, decided not to work any more. We started the race on seven cylinders. The thing was slow. It came in, we found the problem and fixed it and the engine was fine. Henri had a big b!tch about the engine, but it was a normal DB V8 and we got it back after the race, put it on the dyno and have used it as our dyno development piece. When it retired, it had a power steering issue or something. It was not slow on the straight, it was four clicks slower on the straight than it was in qualifying. The power was slightly better than when it left us, so I won't take any sh!t on that one.
Old 27 Oct 2012, 23:09 (Ref:3158713)   #1290
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The December 2012 edition of RCE has an interview with John Judd: http://gb.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue...&prev=sub&p=24

Judd explains the problems of the Pescarolo 03.

Judd fitted a spare engine that was set up for another of its teams.
wow
Old 27 Oct 2012, 23:19 (Ref:3158718)   #1291
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's such a shame to read this about the man and team that could and should have won the world's greatest race not much more than half a decade ago.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 12:57 (Ref:3166639)   #1292
The Badger
Veteran

Any rumours ..... whats left of his op ?
Old 8 Jan 2013, 16:32 (Ref:3186457)   #1293
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pescarolo Team in liquidation.

http://www.lemainelibre.fr/actualite...-01-2013-50215
Old 8 Jan 2013, 17:14 (Ref:3186466)   #1294
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
That seems a sad end for Henri unless something materializes to save the day. I hope he lands somewhere where he can do some good.

DK
Old 8 Jan 2013, 17:43 (Ref:3186480)   #1295
The Badger
Veteran

Nicolet could do a lot worse than hire him as team manager , especially since OAK look pretty busy for this year . ELMS , WEC , AsLMS and possibily ALMS too . He could use a man of Henri's talants , imo .
Old 8 Jan 2013, 18:25 (Ref:3186501)   #1296
Kid Roberts
Rookie

Kid Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always been a Pescarolo fan. This is sad.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 18:59 (Ref:3186516)   #1297
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
That just sucks. If only they could have won Le Mans in 2005, that would have given them such a boost.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3186587)   #1298
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
It's sad, but I hope that this time it's for good.
I would rather see Henri Pescarolo hired as an consultant than watch him fail once again. He will never be a business man, so trying to run a business is just not going to work.

IF Yves Courage did mean anything serious about starting production again, he will buy the remains of Pescarolo Team, and hire Henri and the rest to restart Courage. However, just a dream which is far from coming to life.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3186593)   #1299
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Endurance Info is now saying it might not all be over yet??? Jacques Nicolet coming to the rescue again? Roald Goethe?
Old 8 Jan 2013, 22:27 (Ref:3186598)   #1300
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Amazing gesture the first time to save Henri. Second time around I can't help thinking Nicolet and Goethe would be better served putting the money into their own operations.

But there is a nice facility there if someone wants it so let's see.