Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 13 Sep 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2758743)   #276
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
@chernaudi: Check the timing pdf on the LMS website. The 2nd, 3rd and 6th stint of the #1 Peugeot were 1 lap longer than those of the #8 Audi. So your suggestion that Peugeot switched to fuel saving tactics late in the race, is incorrect. They had better fuel economy from the start of the race.
For the record, this is the length of the stints of the 3 diesel cars:
  • #1 Peugeot: 27, 29, 29, 28, 29, 28
  • #4 Oreca: 28, 28, 29, 30, 28, 27
  • #8 Audi: 27, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 3
Nicely planned and executed strategy by Peugeot I would say.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2758752)   #277
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'mon guys we have had 45 cars on the grid in Silverstone... not every thread finally have to result in a verbal battle of pros and cons of Audi-Peugeot stuff...

Old 13 Sep 2010, 14:45 (Ref:2758764)   #278
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post
C'mon guys we have had 45 cars on the grid in Silverstone... not every thread finally have to result in a verbal battle of pros and cons of Audi-Peugeot stuff...

Right, Strakka won because they had the nicest girls on the grid...
Old 13 Sep 2010, 14:47 (Ref:2758765)   #279
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Actually, they also change driver during the first stop. In fact, the Oreca team did an extra driver change:
Lapierre -> Sarrazin -> Lapierre -> Sarrazin compared to
Davidson -> Minassian -> Davidson and
Bernhard -> Capello -> Bernhard.
This gave the drivers equal driving time, but it ruined their chance of victory.
Second place was enough for Sarrazin to become LMES champion. And nobody would imagine that Peugeot would let a client team beat their own car in the first place.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2758782)   #280
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthey View Post
I love this forum because I'm not so documented as you and often I find interesting things ..so please can you explain the difference between IMSA pit rules and silverstone-le mans regulation referred here?
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=231

what about the fact bentley run LMP2 spec tyres instead lmp1?
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=229

thanks!

Edit: wrong quote sorry
Old 13 Sep 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2758783)   #281
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Have to agree, lots more to talk about:
I heard that the other GT1 Saleen that had a big accident last time out wanted to rebuild on another chassis (?) and was given authority by the ACO unless the other GT1 competitors objected, they did!
Excellent and rather tense race in GT2 with lots of head scratching as to where all the cars would be in the refuelling sequence when the race ended as GT2 would do a lot less laps less than LMP1, the question was, how many less? (23 in the end) The Aston was doing 2 laps per tank less than the Ferrari I understand and so was expecting second place before the stop and go, rather than a win. Engine development required Prodrive please!
Warren Hughes and Jody Firth had a great weekend!
The Drayson team did well and could have done better but could not quite match the best petrol cars. They need to race against that level of opposition as opposed to what Gary Watkins in Autosport describes as a "motley collection of privateers" in the ALMS!!!
There was a very long queue for autographs at the Beechdean truck, I hope "our Nige" did not dissapoint?
Old 13 Sep 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2758784)   #282
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by villamas View Post

Cool vids, thanks
Old 13 Sep 2010, 15:43 (Ref:2758787)   #283
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

We're not doing that. We (well, most of us anyway) are merely emphasising that this was actually a fairly dominant Peugeot win.... Those who were at the track like me will I suspect have felt it even more keenly.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 15:43 (Ref:2758788)   #284
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Have to agree, lots more to talk about:
I heard that the other GT1 Saleen that had a big accident last time out wanted to rebuild on another chassis (?) and was given authority by the ACO unless the other GT1 competitors objected, they did!
Excellent and rather tense race in GT2 with lots of head scratching as to where all the cars would be in the refuelling sequence when the race ended as GT2 would do a lot less laps less than LMP1, the question was, how many less? (23 in the end) The Aston was doing 2 laps per tank less than the Ferrari I understand and so was expecting second place before the stop and go, rather than a win. Engine development required Prodrive please!
Warren Hughes and Jody Firth had a great weekend!
The Drayson team did well and could have done better but could not quite match the best petrol cars. They need to race against that level of opposition as opposed to what Gary Watkins in Autosport describes as a "motley collection of privateers" in the ALMS!!!
There was a very long queue for autographs at the Beechdean truck, I hope "our Nige" did not dissapoint?
Nige never raced, so he could not disappoint
The LMP1 petrol cars had a nice dice, the Rebellions between themselves, and with Drayson when Cocker was driving.
The supremacy of Strakka is mainly due to Danny "four seconds faster than everybody else" Watss, who singlehandedly corrected the mess his sponsor had left him in. Both Oak cars had to start from the back of the grid, so did relatively well in the end. It was also funny to see the Gallardo GT2 one spot ahead of the same liveried Aston on the grid. In spite of its slow speed, the Lambo deserves praise for having finished the race without any problem, rather uncommon for a hardly tried car.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 15:45 (Ref:2758789)   #285
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
We're not doing that. We (well, most of us anyway) are merely emphasising that this was actually a fairly dominant Peugeot win.... Those who were at the track like me will I suspect have felt it even more keenly.
you must have had the same feeling after 35 minutes then: "Race over...."
Old 13 Sep 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2758792)   #286
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
you must have had the same feeling after 35 minutes then: "Race over...."
Oh definitely - although frankly I thought that as soon as Davidson passed McNish. It was disappointing to see the Audi go out, but even up to that point I'd already concluded that the only way Audi would win this race was if the Peugeots broke.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 16:14 (Ref:2758810)   #287
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Oh definitely - although frankly I thought that as soon as Davidson passed McNish. It was disappointing to see the Audi go out, but even up to that point I'd already concluded that the only way Audi would win this race was if the Peugeots broke.
Yes, sure, and for those who feed the Audi-Pug fight here it should be noted that on the grid we could witness a very friendly talk between Dr. Ulrich and Olivier Quesnel, and that it is also common practice that the Audi and Peugeot teams get together after a race for a drink. They fully realise that with either one being not present, under the current regulations any victory of one of them is only hollow.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2758818)   #288
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
And yet they ran on a fuel that the car is not set up for in its normal running. No difference in mapping nor throttle response or any of those little niggling details that make the difference when looking to be able to perform at 10-Tenths, right?

L.P.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 16:30 (Ref:2758820)   #289
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes I felt that - although with the Dream Team still in the race you always get the impression that something might happen - they would certainly have pushed the Peugeots a little harder but I don't think it would have changed the Peugeot win - may have been a battle for second though?
Old 13 Sep 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2758832)   #290
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
And yet they ran on a fuel that the car is not set up for in its normal running. No difference in mapping nor throttle response or any of those little niggling details that make the difference when looking to be able to perform at 10-Tenths, right?

L.P.
Are you actually saying that any car that runs in ALMS cannot be remapped and can therefore not be run in Europe? (or if necessary be fitted with another engine?). So what did Highcroft, Risi and P&M do for Le Mans this year?
Old 13 Sep 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2758838)   #291
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Are you actually saying that any car that runs in ALMS cannot be remapped and can therefore not be run in Europe? (or if necessary be fitted with another engine?). So what did Highcroft, Risi and P&M do for Le Mans this year?
Wow, that is some exquisite reading between the lines. But incorrect!

It means that they do not have the history with the car running with that type of fuel and the subsequent overall set-up, which gives them a slight disadvantage. Highcroft, Risi and Corvette Racing have reams of data for running on E-10.

Drayson did well, I thought, given the circumstance. But could have done better, IMO, had they been running the same fuel and setup that they have been running all year in the ALMS!

L.P.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 17:29 (Ref:2758840)   #292
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Wow, that is some exquisite reading between the lines. But incorrect!

It means that they do not have the history with the car running with that type of fuel and the subsequent overall set-up, which gives them a slight disadvantage. Highcroft, Risi and Corvette Racing have reams of data for running on E-10.

Drayson did well, I thought, given the circumstance. But could have done better, IMO, had they been running the same fuel and setup that they have been running all year in the ALMS!

L.P.
that makes a bit more sense
and yes, they did well, and with a full pro crew they might even have done better...(until their front wheel fell off, that is)
Old 13 Sep 2010, 18:29 (Ref:2758867)   #293
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12 View Post
Edit: wrong quote sorry
yes I inverted the references however the main points are:

"IMSA will be using their pit rules" differences with aco-ilmc??

"Peugeot should be fortunate that they didn't have to do as Bentley and run LMP2 spec tires. That advantage will go away next year, too"

why bentley sped 8 used lmp2 spec tires instead lmp1?

grazie
Old 13 Sep 2010, 18:41 (Ref:2758872)   #294
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Two wheelguns for IMSA as opposed to one.

Quote:
"Peugeot should be fortunate that they didn't have to do as Bentley and run LMP2 spec tires. That advantage will go away next year, too"

why bentley sped 8 used lmp2 spec tires instead lmp1?

grazie
Because LMGTP had to.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2758914)   #295
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Also, IMSA will be using their pit rules, so advantage Audi on that, too.
Quote:

grazie
As Dead-Eye pointed out:
ALMS Art.#18.5.2 allows 4 people and 2 guns (pg.#80)
while
ACO Art.#18.5.2 allows 2 people and 1 gun. (pg.#13)

As to the inference that the race would be run to ALMS rules, that is incorrect! Sebring ran to ACO rules and as expressed by the series earlier and reinforced by the very top line of the Petit Supplemental Regulations!

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 13 Sep 2010 at 19:59.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 20:42 (Ref:2758944)   #296
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
But at Sebring they still used two wheel guns per stop--ACO technical regs apply, but IMSA used their own pit rules.

I'm also wondering that if Peugeot didn't really back off to save fuel, why did they lose 10 seconds to the #8 Audi during one stint? Couldn't have been traffic as the #8's handling problem lead to cautious driving in traffic. Either the Pug guys knew it was close or the backed off because of the various incidents that were happening though out the race.

Last edited by chernaudi; 13 Sep 2010 at 20:50.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2758951)   #297
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
or the backed off because of the various incidents that were happening though out the race.
There's your answer, I guess... they had enough in hand so they decided to take it easier when things were going mad on the track amongst other cars.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2759004)   #298
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Only other thing I could think of is that the Audi understeer issue became managable and the driver was asked to turn up the wick during the stint where the Audi ate 10 seconds out of the Peugeot lead. The R15 especially seems to get worse fuel mileage than the 908 when it does run faster lap times (makes sense: more speed=more power. More power=increased fuel consupmption).
Old 14 Sep 2010, 05:26 (Ref:2759090)   #299
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
All the Audi stints were the same length (28 laps on one tank).
Old 14 Sep 2010, 05:32 (Ref:2759091)   #300
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Only other thing I could think of is that the Audi understeer issue became managable and the driver was asked to turn up the wick during the stint where the Audi ate 10 seconds out of the Peugeot lead. The R15 especially seems to get worse fuel mileage than the 908 when it does run faster lap times (makes sense: more speed=more power. More power=increased fuel consupmption).
Perhaps you should accept that the #8 Audi never posed a real threat for the leading cars, and that the Pigs were just doing their own race.....