Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Jan 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3356401)   #1
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Austin WEC in doubt

I wanna book my tickets to go watch this race...but I hear there's some sort of issue between the Organisers and the Circuit owners!

Suggest you Sportscar fans Stateside put some pressure on to get this sorted!
Old 20 Jan 2014, 21:34 (Ref:3356404)   #2
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
(Dec 1) http://sportscar365.com/wec/future-u...wectusc-event/
Old 20 Jan 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3356421)   #3
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Doh! So.....Endurance racing isn't popular in the States then! Ah well LeMans 24hours it is for me again then!
Old 20 Jan 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3356424)   #4
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
Doh! So.....Endurance racing isn't popular in the States then! Ah well LeMans 24hours it is for me again then!
They picked a stupid time of year to hold the race there going up against the University of Texas's football team. That is kind of like scheduling a street race in Manchester when Chelsea is in town. There are quite a few circuits that consistently draw 60k plus.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 23:08 (Ref:3356437)   #5
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
They picked a stupid time of year to hold the race there going up against the University of Texas's football team. That is kind of like scheduling a street race in Manchester when Chelsea is in town. There are quite a few circuits that consistently draw 60k plus.
Although, the bigger crowd was Saturday, and the football game Saturday evening... Hung over Sunday?

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 20 Jan 2014, 23:08 (Ref:3356438)   #6
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I wanna book my tickets to go watch this race...but I hear there's some sort of issue between the Organisers and the Circuit owners!

Suggest you Sportscar fans Stateside put some pressure on to get this sorted!
Certainly Le Mans is of higher priority for endurance racing fans (especially if you live in Europe)... but I still suggest you come down to Austin. Even if the WEC race gets cancelled (which I strongly doubt), there's still a massive United SportsCar race that'll have over 60 cars. It's a doubleheader weekend... it'll be awesome fun, c'mon!
Old 20 Jan 2014, 23:15 (Ref:3356442)   #7
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Certainly Le Mans is of higher priority for endurance racing fans (especially if you live in Europe)... but I still suggest you come down to Austin. Even if the WEC race gets cancelled (which I strongly doubt), there's still a massive United SportsCar race that'll have over 60 cars. It's a doubleheader weekend... it'll be awesome fun, c'mon!
+1, great city, great food!

Old 20 Jan 2014, 23:34 (Ref:3356450)   #8
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
+1, great city, great food!
It's a fabulous city, indeed... 6th St. has become a bit dodgy over the years, though, and food can be just the same. My personal favorite neighborhood is right around the Austin City Hall. Clean, modern, and safe.

I'd recommend the W Hotel (adjacent from the City Hall), the Hyatt Place Austin Downtown (adjacent to the Convention Center), or the Omni Hotel Downtown. The W Hotel is very chic to the point of avant-garde, but very nice; a lot of the drivers stay there.

Hope I can help bring you to Austin!
Old 21 Jan 2014, 00:37 (Ref:3356475)   #9
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd love to see a sportscar race in the US. Sebring, Daytona, Petit, or whatever the WEC round is...it's an ambition of mine.

But given that I can't even make the Silverstone WEC race which is a 40 minute drive away without sponging off my parents, I think Austin may be out of the picture in 2014.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 00:55 (Ref:3356478)   #10
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I'd love to see a sportscar race in the US. Sebring, Daytona, Petit, or whatever the WEC round is...it's an ambition of mine.

But given that I can't even make the Silverstone WEC race which is a 40 minute drive away without sponging off my parents, I think Austin may be out of the picture in 2014.
You could practically walk then......
Old 21 Jan 2014, 01:09 (Ref:3356484)   #11
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing wrong with sponging off the parents when racing is involved.

And I don't know much about England, but I'd be more tempted to hitchhike than walk--and I live in America, where all the bad things happen. .
Old 21 Jan 2014, 01:18 (Ref:3356488)   #12
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
You could practically walk then......
Should make it in time if I set off now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Nothing wrong with sponging off the parents when racing is involved.

And I don't know much about England, but I'd be more tempted to hitchhike than walk--and I live in America, where all the bad things happen. .
Always wanted to give hitchhiking a go, but it kind of doesn't count in any journey when you can ring up a mate to help you out...
Old 21 Jan 2014, 11:39 (Ref:3356629)   #13
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just not as popular in the South US I'd imagine.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 12:04 (Ref:3356640)   #14
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Daytona and Sebring are both pretty far south.

I'd say WEC isn't that popular in the U.S. Surprising, considering the enormous promo program and the readily available TV broadcasts ...
Old 21 Jan 2014, 12:36 (Ref:3356659)   #15
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd say WEC isn't that popular in the U.S. Surprising, considering the enormous promo program and the readily available TV broadcasts
Just think it needs some time - particularly at COTA. No history of sports car racing there. Would like to see the event moved to Mid-Ohio. Long tradition of supporting sports car racing and it's been left out in the cold with the TUSC series. Believe the crowds would be huge a Mid-Ohio (but wish they would expand the size of the circuit - better for long distance racing).
Old 21 Jan 2014, 12:45 (Ref:3356663)   #16
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Sebring is a great experience even if it's just a NASCAR race now.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3356674)   #17
Maelochs
Veteran

Yeah dude. I can see you know a lot about Sebring, and NASCAR.

When I am there this March I will be sure to enjoy all the NASCAR racing.

First, I have to enjoy the 24-hour NASCAR race at Daytona this weekend. And I will.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3356829)   #18
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Do we really need that here? Its already in the daytona thread and both tusc threads.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 20:45 (Ref:3356847)   #19
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
If the WEC Austin race is in doubt, why not Laguna Seca?

Yes I know this will pose a few "what the hell are you talking about" questions but let me explain myself.

- Laguna is, in my opinion, one of the top tracks in the US, in terms of facilities and overall track condition/upkeep, behind of COTA of course.

- Yes I understand it is one of the shortest tracks that the WEC would race on but lets be honest, it would add yet another unique venue to the calendar.

- Pit space would not be a problem since the ALMS and Grand-Am have been running with 30-35+ cars there for years. Track size (width) would not be a problem either.

- A strong sports car tradition surrounds Laguna Seca and I would hopefully expect the WEC to receive a strong attendance rating at the track if in fact they were to establish a date.

- MotoGP used to run there, why not the WEC?

- The WEC would run separately to the USCC at a different time of year, as a combined weekend would be utterly impossible due to the sheer number of feature race entries and support series entries.

- Laguna has proper pit side garage stalls (I think it was for MotoGP) for any WEC team that cannot set up a transporter tent.

Now a strong counter-argument against running the WEC at Laguna would have to be that the track itself is not FIA Grade 1 approved, however Sebring wasn't either.

Well, that is about all I can think of for a sports car racing fan that lives on the other side of the country from Laguna. What do you think?
Old 21 Jan 2014, 21:53 (Ref:3356871)   #20
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Laguna is too logical. I agree with you, it would be ace and, to me, the best choice when the field will be likely under 30 cars, it has endurance racing history and it's in a lovely location. The slot that the ALMS used to use at the end of the season just makes too much sense.

Which is why it won't happen.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 22:41 (Ref:3356879)   #21
Breitling24
Veteran

Laguna would work really well, for me... and I enjoyed liked COTA.

Old 21 Jan 2014, 23:53 (Ref:3356892)   #22
LagunaSnaka
Rookie

LagunaSnaka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
+1
Laguna would be a great choice for a WEC event. They have a history of holding intl events...FIA GT in the late 1990's etc -- more recently Moto GP

The long format ALMS races were a big draw at Laguna. Sadly fans won't get that with TUSC this year.
Additionally, Laguna Seca as a track is "down" 2 events in 2014 losing Moto GP and the Grand-Am weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
If the WEC Austin race is in doubt, why not Laguna Seca?

Yes I know this will pose a few "what the hell are you talking about" questions but let me explain myself.

- Laguna is, in my opinion, one of the top tracks in the US, in terms of facilities and overall track condition/upkeep, behind of COTA of course.

- Yes I understand it is one of the shortest tracks that the WEC would race on but lets be honest, it would add yet another unique venue to the calendar.

- Pit space would not be a problem since the ALMS and Grand-Am have been running with 30-35+ cars there for years. Track size (width) would not be a problem either.

- A strong sports car tradition surrounds Laguna Seca and I would hopefully expect the WEC to receive a strong attendance rating at the track if in fact they were to establish a date.

- MotoGP used to run there, why not the WEC?

- The WEC would run separately to the USCC at a different time of year, as a combined weekend would be utterly impossible due to the sheer number of feature race entries and support series entries.

- Laguna has proper pit side garage stalls (I think it was for MotoGP) for any WEC team that cannot set up a transporter tent.

Now a strong counter-argument against running the WEC at Laguna would have to be that the track itself is not FIA Grade 1 approved, however Sebring wasn't either.

Well, that is about all I can think of for a sports car racing fan that lives on the other side of the country from Laguna. What do you think?
Old 22 Jan 2014, 01:56 (Ref:3356913)   #23
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
Just not as popular in the South US I'd imagine.
Road Atlanta (Georgia), Sebring (Florida), and Daytona (Florida) are probably all in the Top 10 of highest attended sports car races in the World.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 02:18 (Ref:3356916)   #24
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fingers crossed that it would be Laguna seca. would be a dream come true...
Old 22 Jan 2014, 02:45 (Ref:3356920)   #25
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn right! That would be amazing.

It's what laguna seca needs after losing champ car, motogp, and now alms/grand am. With the Rolex historics being its only major event now and the tusk draw yet to be known. I really worry for lagunas future as it is not a privatly owned track but a part of the monterey county park system.

Unless Mazda pays more or both Rolex and tusk have big draws at higher prices, laguna seca will need atleast another big attendance event like wec or Indy car....

Wec at laguna would be really nice, or even at road America.has there been any updates to the wec/cota delema?