Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 31 May 2020, 06:35 (Ref:3979392)   #1
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
which is the best sound V12 or rotative?

For me the last Le Mans winner with the best sound was the Mazda 787 B.
The BMW V12 LMR had a fantastic sound too but it was not comparable to the Mazda or the Ferrari 333 Sp for me the best V12.
Audi won Le Mans 13 times but none of those cars had a fabulous sound and therefore none of those cars will be important in history.
I can't understand that, what is the point of winning a race so many times if you don't achieve a historic victory?
Mazda won a single victory but that victory is more important than the 13 of Audi, because that car is iconic and everyone wants it.
Old 31 May 2020, 09:36 (Ref:3979413)   #2
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well since audi used a turbodiesel car since 2006, it's unlikely to expect a nice sound, even if I have to admit that 2011 908 despite being a turbodiesel as well had a distinctive and aggressive sound anyhow.
Anyway about last 10 seasons, the best sound engine by far was the screaming V12 inside the lola-aston.
F333 had a huge sound because its V12 was basically an enlarged 4L version of 1990 f1 engine revving up to 12000rpm
Old 31 May 2020, 09:57 (Ref:3979418)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well having been to le mans since 1985, i was sort of spoiled by the wonderful sounds of cars like the Mazda and jags, the introduction of diesels came as a massive disappointment but during that period you still had amazing sounding cars, like the astons and corvettes but the best bit for me was that you had different sounds and no cars sounded the same. Must admit the sound of the Jag v12 screaming to victory means that to me they were the best v12 IMHO
Old 31 May 2020, 10:08 (Ref:3979421)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Winner? V12?

If the engine choice was wider I'd go for the Peugeot 905 of 1992/93, but only because the better sounding Toyota TS010 didn't win.

As for a V12, the McLaren F1 wins hands down on sound.

The Mazda was raucous and ear-splitting, and I love it for that, but it wasn't the best sounding winner.
Old 31 May 2020, 13:46 (Ref:3979457)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
V12.

While loud and impressive the rotary is not a nice sound. A baby’s cry is loud and gets your attention but it’s not nice.

The Matra (never heard in its day, but have since), the Jag 12, the 333SP and the McLaren V12 are all glorious.
Old 31 May 2020, 14:25 (Ref:3979465)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

The Matra (never heard in its day, but have since), the Jag 12, the 333SP and the McLaren V12 are all glorious.
Go with all of those. Plus the Lola Aston. Uniquely glorious....
Old 1 Jun 2020, 14:29 (Ref:3979634)   #7
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Matra, 312P, XJR9, Nissan NP35, Lister Storm, 333SP, McLaren F1, BMW V12 LMR, DBR9, 550LM

Vs

787B.....

yeh, V12 wins
Old 1 Jun 2020, 21:14 (Ref:3979704)   #8
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I prefer the TS010's V10 to both, but the V12 is a bit better sound than the rotary. Something about the pitch of a piston engine
Old 2 Jun 2020, 13:08 (Ref:3979826)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
For me, the TS010 engine sound is as good as I have ever personally heard in a sportscar, although I do wish I'd been around in the Matra days....
Old 3 Jun 2020, 03:49 (Ref:3979897)   #10
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron Fellows the Corvette driver remember his 333SP years
Very good video, This is how a real race car should sound !!!!!

https://youtu.be/MPgq5Zz0ARM

For me, the 787B victory in 1991 is more important than AUDI's 13 victories.
The Audis did not have the soul of a race car that is the sound, especially the Diesel.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 04:37 (Ref:3979900)   #11
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Matra and turbocharged rotary Mazda. Listening to the Matras in the Mulsanne straight was impressive.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 04:51 (Ref:3979902)   #12
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Mazda 787B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxXt...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXvj...ature=youtu.be
Old 3 Jun 2020, 06:08 (Ref:3979906)   #13
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Matra. In a historic F1 meeting, the sound was so distinct when the rest of the pack used those Cosworth V8's (some of them audibly misfiring).
And Maserati MC12.

I've never seen a 333SP live, but that's still on my bucket list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
For me, the 787B victory in 1991 is more important than AUDI's 13 victories.
The Audis did not have the soul of a race car that is the sound, especially the Diesel.
The sound is essential part of the experience. Even the petrol powered Audis were quiet, what makes them less appealing for me.

Last edited by BudLightJaguar; 3 Jun 2020 at 06:18.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 11:35 (Ref:3979963)   #14
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Easily V12

I do miss it the soundscape of the old, however as is the case with all of technology I do not want the iconic things back for the "sake of it" but only if it came naturally. If electric (race) cars of the future are to be silent vacuum cleaners, that it is and you do not install TIE fighter effects in it
Old 3 Jun 2020, 15:12 (Ref:3979998)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Easily V12

I do miss it the soundscape of the old, however as is the case with all of technology I do not want the iconic things back for the "sake of it" but only if it came naturally. If electric (race) cars of the future are to be silent vacuum cleaners, that it is and you do not install TIE fighter effects in it
Just put ice lolly sticks in the wheel spokes.......
Old 3 Jun 2020, 15:19 (Ref:3980000)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree that the sounds are important and play a part in choosing favourites. However it is a secondary consideration, the primary aim of a race car is to win. That is what gives it it’s “soul”. Boy did those Audi’s have that. Maybe not the superficial passion, but the deep rooted racing soul where real passion sits.

Oh and V12s sound ace, but V8s, turbo flat sixes, even 4s and everything else in between, or outside, along with quiet, loud, rotary and turbine all have their place.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 15:38 (Ref:3980003)   #17
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I agree that the sounds are important and play a part in choosing favourites. However it is a secondary consideration, the primary aim of a race car is to win. That is what gives it it’s “soul”. Boy did those Audi’s have that. Maybe not the superficial passion, but the deep rooted racing soul where real passion sits.

Oh and V12s sound ace, but V8s, turbo flat sixes, even 4s and everything else in between, or outside, along with quiet, loud, rotary and turbine all have their place.
I remember seeing the 1-series diesel that was in the BTCC a few years ago. It stood out (not just because of being way off pace) because it was so quiet in comparison to the other cars.
When it went past though, because it was so far off the pace, it was regularly away from the pack. That meant you could hear it in isolation, and there was a definite sound of it's own that gave a sense of power being delivered, just in a different manner.

Did I prefer it to the petrol cars? No.
Would I have accepted it if it became the standard? Yes.

As you say, each sound has its place and can be enjoyed for differing reasons. For me, it's not always the sound of an engine though but sometimes the feeling it gives too.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 16:20 (Ref:3980010)   #18
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I remember seeing the 1-series diesel that was in the BTCC a few years ago. It stood out (not just because of being way off pace) because it was so quiet in comparison to the other cars.

Of course a year later diesels were run far more successfully by SEAT. Third in the championship and was Giovanardi's closest rival for the majority of the season.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 16:32 (Ref:3980012)   #19
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
V12. As well as still being able to hear afterwards. The rotary is too loud so as to be unpleasant.

I love the bellow of a V12.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 17:36 (Ref:3980025)   #20
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
The sound of the V12s I've heard in cars such as 333SP , Matra MS 670 , 512M is one of the most beautiful man -made sounds I have ever heard and the older I get the closer I become to being moved to tears by that unique howl . But the most extraordinary sounding race car I have heard was the Toyota TF 105 F1car - nothing has come close to that combination of doomy V10 wail , underpinned by seismic rumbles and groans on the overrun
Old 4 Jun 2020, 10:08 (Ref:3980100)   #21
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Of course a year later diesels were run far more successfully by SEAT. Third in the championship and was Giovanardi's closest rival for the majority of the season.
IIRC, the drivers of the SEATs talked about having to adjust their driving styles due to a different feedback from the engine into the cabin - including a different sound.

Which leads me to wonder - if the same question of V12 or Rotary was put to drivers, would they have a different opinion based on the feedback to their driving and the sound within the car as opposed to outside?
Old 4 Jun 2020, 12:01 (Ref:3980122)   #22
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
May be the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND_Ig1VVVPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcPgE40t4dc
To my ears the worse remains the '74 Sigma. I must admit they had fantastic mechanics.
Old 4 Jun 2020, 12:19 (Ref:3980128)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Just listened to both of those and admit the matra did sound good, but the mazda brings back memories for me that mean it will always sound to my ears anyway better.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 04:38 (Ref:3980263)   #24
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Excellent Video F1 V10 vs 333SP V12, the V10 sounds fantastic but the V12 has a little more, that more that makes it incredibly fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuBfR12sS4s
Old 5 Jun 2020, 06:13 (Ref:3980264)   #25
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
If you look for the incar video on Youtube of the 333SP at Ricard it is even better... it helped get me through some very boring afternoons in lockdown !