Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 24 Jul 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1663475)   #1
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Series 2007

Some interesting tidbits of info after conducting an interview with Patrick Peter:

-5, possibly 6 races.

-Races in Belgium, Germany, UK, Italy and Spain

-Factory Audis (and Peugeots) in the series with hints of other (Japanese) makes entering as well..

-Better support series package

Full Interview here:

http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/240395/1/
Old 24 Jul 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1663516)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for that.

The series needs to step up it's game in 2007.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1663595)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Be nice to see them introduce the 3 light position system for the series .
Old 24 Jul 2006, 23:37 (Ref:1663756)   #4
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not the most informative interview I've ever read but a nice link either way.

A bit disappointed to see no mention of Holland in the circuit destinations, surely Assen deserves a round?

And surely we already have a joint LMS & JLMS round which = Le Mans?! We don't need another joined up race thankyou very much, just give us a few more European races at circuits that actually WANT the Le Mans Series.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 00:40 (Ref:1663782)   #5
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
A bit disappointed to see no mention of Holland in the circuit destinations, surely Assen deserves a round?
I would think Holland would be a lock because of both Lammer's Racing for Holland and the Spykers.

LMES nees the ALMS spectator base and the ALMS needs the LMES grids. Didn't the Group C days pull in a fair amount of spectators at locations other then LeMans?
Old 25 Jul 2006, 03:42 (Ref:1663829)   #6
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Why is that Barcelona track needed? I took a look on Jarama's map and it looks quite good, Barca is...boring.

If there has to be a joint round of LMES/JLMS(why not pacific LMS to get some australian teams as well?)/maybe ALMS then I'd like to see a race at Adelaide...
Old 25 Jul 2006, 08:30 (Ref:1663967)   #7
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I think a round in Assen would be very good for the series. This would give RfH and Spyker a home race and I think many spectators. Look at the Rizla Racing Days in Assen (2 and a half week to go). "only" dutch club racing but many spectators in the past.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1664472)   #8
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erki
If there has to be a joint round of LMES/JLMS(why not pacific LMS to get some australian teams as well?)/maybe ALMS then I'd like to see a race at Adelaide...
Nah, something like that needs to happen at Bathurst!

But I don't suppose it ever will, it's taking them all their time just to organise the GT cars to race there. Plus I could be wrong, but I expect alterations would be needed to make it safe for Prototypes.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1666059)   #9
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
If someone pays the traveling for the teams, why not. But I think they have to go directly to Japan, everywhere else gives less spectators
Old 28 Jul 2006, 03:51 (Ref:1666395)   #10
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
Assen as Zandvoort have issues with noise restrictions - a LMES-round with all the lovely sounding machines there would be critical for the future of this circuits.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1666466)   #11
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Noise restrctions in Assen? I know that from dutch supercar in Zandvoort but never from Assen. Think the MotoGP weekend makes much more noise, maybe not the race itself but all the fans driving there bikes on the camping sites
Old 28 Jul 2006, 08:25 (Ref:1666477)   #12
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
For me the most disappointing part of the interview was the blase acceptance that promotion was responsibility of local circuits. As others have pointed out elsewhere, the LMS has eveything bar spectators - and this can simply be put at the feet of the local promoters.

Okay, where you have switched on circuit owners you can get some great efforts to get the crowds in (MSV and their approach to DTM at Brands Hatch is a good example) but somehow this seems to be really lacking with LMS rounds at the moment.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 11:03 (Ref:1666550)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Eins
Assen as Zandvoort have issues with noise restrictions - a LMES-round with all the lovely sounding machines there would be critical for the future of this circuits.
The noise itself is not the problem. Both circuits have a limited total of days with less noise restriction. For this year Zandvoort got 2 or 3 days extra, which will be used for A1GP. The rest of the "unrestricted" noise days are used for DTM (3 days) and Masters of F3 (3 days). Besides these big events there are a lott of other events but they have more noise restriction.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1666581)   #14
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erki
Why is that Barcelona track needed? I took a look on Jarama's map and it looks quite good, Barca is...boring.

You've obviously never been to both Jarama and Barcelona... You'd understand why if you'd seen the facilities at Jarama. I'm not saying its bad, it's not.But Barcelona will handle the LMS (and its improved support package) a hell ofa lot better than Jarama.

As for a joint round of LMS and ALMS... erm, how central is Australia to Europe compared to the US?????

Surely a joint effort would be better made after Le Mans in Europe when the majority of teams and their personel are over this side of the Atlantic anyway??

And who the hell thought Assen would get a round?? Come on! It's hardly big enough for the MotoGP, how would a decent grid of LMS cars get on?
Hmm, then again, the ALMS races at Lime Rock....
Old 28 Jul 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1666640)   #15
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Things sound better for next year. I hope they don't go to China. Surely they don't need another race that China does not care about.

A race in Australia would be good but good luck getting it to happen. It would have to be in a non-V8 track cause as rumour has it, it was AVESCO who chased away the race at Adelaide.

Races should go to where the fans are - Assen should get a race. Not Asia
Old 28 Jul 2006, 15:00 (Ref:1666695)   #16
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo
... Assen should get a race. Not Asia
Agree!
Old 28 Jul 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1666729)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
For me the most disappointing part of the interview was the blase acceptance that promotion was responsibility of local circuits. As others have pointed out elsewhere, the LMS has eveything bar spectators - and this can simply be put at the feet of the local promoters.

Okay, where you have switched on circuit owners you can get some great efforts to get the crowds in (MSV and their approach to DTM at Brands Hatch is a good example) but somehow this seems to be really lacking with LMS rounds at the moment.
But as he said, it will be the manufactuers (Audi and Peugeot in 2007) who will bring in the major marketing and promotion knowehow, it's in their own interests, then you will see a greater effort on the part of circuit owners etc.

It maybe frustrating in the short term, but long term, natural growth and improvements every year is sustainable, rather than the marketing blitz that Brands Hatch or the DTM uses.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 18:10 (Ref:1666760)   #18
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo
Races should go to where the fans are - Assen should get a race. Not Asia
Yes, look at Champcar. It works !
Old 31 Jul 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1668881)   #19
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree if they do a race in china they wont get any crowds it would be like istanbul all over again!, i think they should have the LMS british round on silverstone or for convenience oulton park , i think bathurst would be a good idea for a 1000km race in the LMS next year would give aussie fans a taste of aston martin earbleeding noise and some good old 5.0 V10 wail and judd V8 scream and next year when i have my own car im attending as many of these races as possible which means spa is a must next year.

or if we are talking about joint rounds how about substituting spa 1000km for the spa 24 hours we can all dream lol
Old 31 Jul 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1668916)   #20
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
or if we are talking about joint rounds how about substituting spa 1000km for the spa 24 hours we can all dream lol
Well, it's been done before - in 2003 British GT had a 1,000km round at Spa which was joined with the FIA Sportscar Championship. Trouble is, LMS and FIA GT having a joined round at Spa... they'd have to keep GT3 in a separate race, there may not be a G2 class, and entries for each class would be strictly limited - I don't know the maximum number of cars Spa can field on it's grids.

Still, nice idea though.

Personally I think the LMS should stick to Europe - leave Australia and China to the new Japanese series, and keep ALMS in America. Bring them all together maybe 2 or 3 times a year (once in each "region") - Sebring, Le Mans, and some new race in Asia (maybe Suzuka, Sepang or Bathurst..?). Again, it's a question of money and promotion as to weather this works or not.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1668946)   #21
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read the interview and i think progress is being made.
-The countries selected are very strong, however the lack of promotion and the message of "outsourcing" the promotion to local contacts is just not good enough giving the dismal amount of spectators at each round. The races are great, the field is fantastic but it's the best kept secret in motor racing.
-6 hour races are tough to organize/follow/broadcast but look at the other side, no hassle, you can walk around the circuit, the atmosphere is relaxed. This appeals to lot of racing fans that are tired of the rush in-rush out of F1 events (if they know about it, that is...)
-Many people would like to see the Le Mans environment close to home, with millions of spectators for 24 hours it should be possible to drag many of those to the circuit for 6...
-Manufacturers like Audi and Peugeot joining should help make (or brake) this series as THE endurance series like it was on the 70s or so, there is a lot of momentum and we need to take advantage of it. Porsche Spyders will also keep appealing smaller teams and help the grid increase quality even further
-I do hope the series grows as expected and keeps the fantastic sporting environment.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 05:25 (Ref:1669592)   #22
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
. Bring them all together maybe 2 or 3 times a year (once in each "region") - Sebring, Le Mans, and some new race in Asia (maybe Suzuka, Sepang or Bathurst..?). Again, it's a question of money and promotion as to weather this works or not.
I like that idea Bob but , i dont think that would work , bringing them all together . When you get almost full grids like the LMS has , it wouldnt take many "guest" entries to go over the 50 mark . Already we have some LMS races that cant handle over 50 cars .

As for Bathurst , i think i remember hearing that there is an issue about the track not being wide enough for proto's , much the same arguement happened at Mondello Park a few years back .
Old 1 Aug 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1669764)   #23
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I like that idea Bob but , i dont think that would work , bringing them all together . When you get almost full grids like the LMS has , it wouldnt take many "guest" entries to go over the 50 mark . Already we have some LMS races that cant handle over 50 cars .

As for Bathurst , i think i remember hearing that there is an issue about the track not being wide enough for proto's , much the same arguement happened at Mondello Park a few years back .
Hmmm I agree - if it were to happen I guess the realistic view would be to restrict the number of cars and turn a few people away - which would do no favours for teams, organisers and fans.

I listed Bathurst because it had already been mentioned in this thread, not because I want to see a race there myself - perhaps Adelaide would be more suited to the job, because a street race might draw in better crowds?
Old 1 Aug 2006, 10:28 (Ref:1669776)   #24
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Personally I think the LMS should stick to Europe - leave Australia and China to the new Japanese series, and keep ALMS in America
I completely agree with that. They need to be regional series and grow in that region. Thats how they will become strong.

As for an Australian round, it will have to be somewhere that V8's can't touch as the Adelaide round was cancelled due to overbearing pressure from AVESCO, the promoters of the V8 series. But it would be good though. Maybe Surfers Paradise if the ALMS are coming over - they are used to concrete canyons.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 03:26 (Ref:1670538)   #25
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Erki, in regards to Barcelona and Jarama, the difference isn't just in the facilities.

First, Barcelona is 2.939-miles to the lap (using the old La Caixa), and Jarama is only 2.392-miles around. Then consider that the only truly fast cornerss at Jarama are Ascari and Tunel, whereas Barcelona has Renault, Campsa, the penultimate turn and New Holland (and those last two turns are VERY fast). Also, besides the start/finish stretch, Jarama's "straights" are a VERY short. Farina to Portago at Jarama is probably about the same distance as from Campsa to La Caixa at Barcelona. In addition, since a lot of the consecutive corners at Jarama are in opposite directions (a left followed by a right for instance), and the straights are so short, it is quite difficult to set up a passing maneuver (certainly substantially more difficult than at Barcelona).

Audi R8R, Assen, even in its new shortened form, is 2.933-miles long, which makes it about the same as Barcelona, and longer than Jarama or Donington Park. And in plan form, Assen doesn't look overly twisty. I might like it better if the exit of that final chicane was loosened some, but whatever.

Why the heck would AVESCO want to interfere with other series running at tracks that it uses. That makes little sense, especially if they're doing fine in their own right. And the tracks would probably like to have another big event on the calendar. As to Bathurst specifically, except for the run-off, or lack thereof, on the top of the mountain, the course width itself seems quite adequate for sportscars. And it's not like there's actually room to add run-off in those areas where the walls are close in, so that's a moot point anyway.