Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 29 May 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1314067)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winners and Losers-The Indy 500

What a great race today! I was simply glued to the action all day. Tough to pick the winners and losers, but here goes...

My Winners -

1 - Dan Wheldon, who really did everything right today, and is so deserving of this win. He is on his way to a championship this year! Well done!

2 - The Indy 500, for proving that it is still, "The greatest spectacle in motor racing"! This will always be the preeminent, premiere, number 1, open wheel race in America, no matter what its detractors mutter!

3 - AGR, and Michael Andretti, who has finally beaten his own curse at this racetrack.

My Loser's -

1 - Sam Hornish, for his continuing bad luck at Indy. I think he was the driver of the race, making some unbelievable moves up high, until bad luck took him out... again!

2 - Danica Patrick, who should take alot of heat for taking out 4 cars that were running well in her yellow flag accident, including the hapless Scheckter.

3 - Kannan, Franchitti, and Sharp, who were running up front all day, only to fall behind everyone when it mattered in the end...

So who were your winners and losers?

Danica Patrick
Old 29 May 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1314070)   #2
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Err.

The winner was Dan Wheldon, whom finished first.
The loser was Larry Foyt, whom finished last.

Old 29 May 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1314071)   #3
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Danica Patrick for being the most sucessful woman driver in the Indy 500 so far - a cracking drive from her I thought.
Old 29 May 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1314074)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't criticise Danica - I felt her spin was a result of the car ahead of he slowing up dramatically.

For a rookie to the race to finish 4th and damn near win is mightily impressive.

Dan was a big winner too.

And Michael Andretti.
Old 29 May 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1314083)   #5
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Danica Patrick for being the most sucessful woman driver in the Indy 500 so far - a cracking drive from her I thought.
Don't you mean a crashing drive?
After all, that is what she did to her competition.

Bob
Old 29 May 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1314101)   #6
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winners:

Wheldon
Briscoe - for being the only Ganassi car to make it to the finish and answer a few critics (myself included) who had him in the wall by half distance

Losers:

Sam Hornish - had the car to beat (an Andretti-esque curse in the making?)
Franchitti - once again in 2005, fast and leading but not where he should be on the final lap
Me - due to my dislike for the victor in the 89th Indy 500!
Old 29 May 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1314108)   #7
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Winners: Wheldon for winning (duh), Danica for ROTY, Lazier (B) for a stellar drive, Mike Andretti and racing in general.

Losers: anything with the word Foyt, Hornish for throwing it away again, anyone who missed the race, whoever is in charge of driver sanction for not doing enough.
Old 29 May 2005, 23:00 (Ref:1314171)   #8
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winners - 1) Obviously Dan for a very steady drive and making the passes he needed to at the end.
2) Danica for being very very very lucky

Losers - 1) ABC for turning the Indy 500 into the Danica 500. It was like Danica was the only person in the race. Some drivers barely had thier names mentioned but Danica was everything there was. Her interview at the end lasted longer than Wheldon's. They never interviewed any of the other drivers in her accident either, guess they didn't want Scheckter to say anything bad during thier Danica love-in. They never told us if Bourdais was alright after his accident either.

And AJ Foyt IV is very lucky Bruno wasn't killed in that accident.
Old 29 May 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1314190)   #9
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
put danica patrick in a f1 car asap....she has the goods (no pun intended).
Old 29 May 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1314192)   #10
Refutation
Racer

Refutation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winners-

Danny Wheldon-I was crying right along with him,a great driver,a great person,and a great champion.A drive nothing short of spectacular.He got his start with Panther Racing in 2002,and he's come a long way since then.A Truely deserved champion.

Vitor Meira-Also one of those guys who didn't get there start with a top team,started with Menards in 2002.Finished second,a very fitting finish,the two guys that didn't come from CART finishing 1,2.Also being the most underhyped RLR driver,but IMO the best driver on that team.

Bryan Herta-Started 18th,worked the strategy,finished 3rd,he and Dan were right on the Radio show when they said that there teammates didn't know what was coming

Losers-

The Media-For attaching themselves to Danica like a baby kitten to the teet.
The Race Officials-For forgetting they have the power to throw the Black Flag,and letting Danica get away with taking out about 4 or 5 cars.
Danica-For being a stinky faced whiner,I don't see why people and respect her so much.She's not very nice IMO.
Old 29 May 2005, 23:53 (Ref:1314199)   #11
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2728
put danica patrick in a f1 car asap....she has the goods (no pun intended).
She'll need to put on some extra bulges called muscle to hold onto an F1 car matey!...An old aurgument this...but ladies ain't got the neck or upper arm strength for it. (IRL drivers are totally supported body and head)
Old 30 May 2005, 01:47 (Ref:1314256)   #12
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refutation
Losers-...Danica-For being a stinky faced whiner,I don't see why people and respect her so much.She's not very nice IMO.
A whiner? In the post-race interview she admitted to making a couple of rookie mistakes. Very classy. She said she was sorry to Rahal and the team. Very honest. Overall she was fast and she didn't crack under the pressure at the end of the race. Very impressive. She made me a fan.

Every great driver makes errors. And if you haven't seen cars spin on cold tires when the green flag comes out you haven't seen much racing. It happens. Danica wasn't proud of it. She did get lucky, but she also drove a fine race. Danny Sullivan "spun and won" and is famous for it -- pretty lucky, too. Today in F1 Kimi flat spotted his tires when leading, which cost him the race and caused a crash that almost took out Button, but that's racing.

BTW way, a friend of mine took a BMW driving school course in South Carolina after buying a new M3. This was only about two years ago. Danica Patrick was his "guest" instructor. I'm told she couldn't have been nicer.
Old 30 May 2005, 02:17 (Ref:1314270)   #13
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THe winners:

Andretti-Green & Dan Wheldon for a great drive.

Bryan Herta: great quiet drive.

Rahal Letterman for the second & fourth place finishes.

The big losers:

ABC: Thanks for turning the Indy 500 into Oprah. They missed so much on the track with the Danica Patrick fest. I never once heard the names of half the field today, but now we know Bev Patrick from the 18 interviews with her today. Oh, and lets not view the parade laps when we can find out about Dario's helicopter! Also, in case no one knew, Ashley Judd is married to Dario...

Todd Harris: Did anyone else hear him say "can Danica turn the trick and win the 500?"

Bret Mussberger: Thanks for turning Danica's drive into the most important thing for women's liberation since the 60's.

Jamie Little: for ending the interview with Bev Patrick by saying "and you're her mom." Thank you Captain Obvious.

Newman-Hass: Junquiera's crash was really bad and completely avoidable by Foyt. What happened with Bourdais, why were we not shown a replay or interview. Thanks ABC once again!

Foyt: do I really need to explain...

Panther: If it weren't for bad luck, they wouldn't have any luck at all.
Old 30 May 2005, 03:11 (Ref:1314281)   #14
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought Danica was very humble and quite classy in the post-race interview. I didn't really know what to make of her before the 500, but she's won me over.
Old 30 May 2005, 04:38 (Ref:1314307)   #15
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WINNERS: Wheldon, AGR and Honda
LOSERS: Anyone with FOYT as a last name, Toyota
Old 30 May 2005, 05:18 (Ref:1314326)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One not mentioned here...

Winner - Buddy Lazier....drove one Hell of a race from start to finish....

Another..(just fort the record):

The Indy 500 - STILL the Greatest Spectacle in Racing...

and in case you're wondering...YES...The Place was packed from where I was sitting in the 3rd Turn...the infield spectator mounds were very full-looking, too.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 May 2005, 06:56 (Ref:1314354)   #17
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winners:

American Open Wheel racing: Say what you will about the Danica circus, it made the general public talk about US open wheel racing in a way that hasn't been done in a decade. And it truly was an exciting race - and one that didn't have 22 cautions, unlike another race run today...

Dan Wheldon: It's hard to come into any race this big as the favorite and not crack under the pressure. Wheldon did what he had to do, despite a lackluster qualifying, and unlike some other foreign drivers, obviously understood the history and aura of the Indy 500. As a fellow Englishman, it was wonderful to see a Union Jack in victory lane...

Danica: She came fourth (for the second race in a row) in her fifth IndyCar race. That's a great performance for a rookie - of either gender.

Brian Herta: A great drive, if a bit unnoticed...

Losers:

Foyt: Volume One

Foyt: Volume Two

Newman-Haas: Not really a great performance.

Champ Car: It's unfortunate that Bruno will be out for some time, taking one of the best drivers out of the Champ Car Series for a couple of months. I hope he'll be OK, and will come back as good as ever...
Old 30 May 2005, 07:29 (Ref:1314362)   #18
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by baclightning
Newman-Haas: Not really a great performance.
Huh?

They got their cars from midfield right up to the pointy end with two quick drivers and a team that knows how to make race cars go fast.

Bruno was right in contention for the win until numb-nuts took him out and Bourdais was fifth until he ended up in the wall - still not quite sure how that happened.

For a team that does not usually run these cars, up against teams that know them like the backs of their hands, I thought it was quite the impressive performance.
Old 30 May 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1314411)   #19
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when is aj foyt iv gonna be banned from racing he is gonna kill someone kick him out
Old 30 May 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1314417)   #20
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
One not mentioned here...

Winner - Buddy Lazier....drove one Hell of a race from start to finish....
Somebody did...

As for Danica's post-race I thought she was very professional - and as I was thinking that you could hear Larry Rice murmur "very professional" under his breath! Her comments about being in the lead - "it was one lap nearer", and expressing happiness about finishing 4th but disappointment at not winning - was a racer attitude, and she gave props to the first 3. (And mentioned the sponsors nicely - "you guys make it happen").
Old 30 May 2005, 08:44 (Ref:1314420)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes - I thought Danica was very good in that interview.

The interviewer was clearly trying to (patronisingly) drive her down the "best finish for a woman" route - but she stuck to her guns and looked at the result as a racing driver rather than a woman racing driver.
Old 30 May 2005, 09:19 (Ref:1314441)   #22
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know how anyone can critise Danica who what she did yesterday. So what if she had a spin, she was still leading with 10 laps to go!

Didn't Dan Wheldon crash and flip over in his rookie year near the end of the race?

At the end of the day I thought it was one of the most enjoyable 500's in a long while. Danica's charge made the race although Wheldon did deserve the win as he was simply the better driver on the day.

Cracking race, cracking spectacle! Just gotta get my tickets for next year again now!
Old 30 May 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1314486)   #23
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a great race although I am a Dan and Dario fan I really wanted Danica to win. The ******s in the UK studio just slagged her off and said she wasn't strong enough to win...... She could very easily have won had it not been for a spin (hitting the wall and a car!!) extra pit stop due to the pit lane not being open and the fuel issue but great drive all the same.

Just shows UK Formula Ford teaches the best of them!!!

Well done to Dan and Dario as well
Old 30 May 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1314549)   #24
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77
She could very easily have won had it not been for a spin (hitting the wall and a car!!) extra pit stop due to the pit lane not being open and the fuel issue but great drive all the same.
Ah, but she would not have been up at the sharp end were it not for the fact that she DID spin, and consequently could go one fewer stop than the others...

Had she not stalled early on, tho', she would have been at or near the front.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1314602)   #25
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

congrats to dan wheldon - class act

i hope bruno is ok & will be right for the next champcar race....