Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Jun 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1331608)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Valiante to Race for Coyne at Portland

SpeedTV

Quote:
Longtime Champ Car hopeful Michael Valiante will drive one of Dale Coyne Racing's Lola-Fords at this weekend's Champ Car race at Porland. According to the Toronto Star newspaper, the 24-year-old Canadian, who tested one of DCR's machines on Wednesday, could be confirmed by the team for the remainder of the season at a later date.

Old 17 Jun 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1331620)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very nice. That's FOUR Canadians in the field. Coyne said that Valiente was their first choice. I have a feeling I know who's paying for this seat and it's not Valiente or a sponsor. That's okay though, he deserves it.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1331624)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Awesome, Awesome, AWESOME!!!

Macdaddy is doing a little victory dance!
Old 17 Jun 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1331637)   #4
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally!! This is great news!

I hope he stays for the whole season!
Old 17 Jun 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1331647)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I assume Snrub is implying that OWRS have footed the bill, which is basically fine by me. Michael's chance has been a long time coming - he's proably better-known among the ChampCar faithful than some of the guys who are racing this year, and I'm sure he'll do really well.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1331725)   #6
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Way to go MV! Another exciting rookie added to the mix. This will be a test for Michael though, Servia was able to take the Coyne ride and make it fast, something that lesser drivers have not been able to do.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1331726)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1331810)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac.
This will be a test for Michael though, Servia was able to take the Coyne ride and make it fast, something that lesser drivers have not been able to do.
While definately true, I think it's the setup abilities that make a big part of the differnence. We know that Tag sets up his own car. We know that Servia with his engineering background had at least a substantial impact designing his setups. The technical experience and the fact that the cars haven't changed probably plays to their advantage. I don't know that it's even possible for an inexperienced driver to get a car close to what Servia was able to accomplish. I guess we'll find out.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1331831)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's pretty much the way I see it Snrub. Having experience is much mroe important when you're in an under-fudned team which lacks on the technical side, and they wills truggle even mroe with 2 rookies (as they did for much of 2003).
Old 17 Jun 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1331907)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well done to Michael , I hope he puts in a good showing
Old 18 Jun 2005, 00:11 (Ref:1331925)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
While definately true, I think it's the setup abilities that make a big part of the differnence. We know that Tag sets up his own car. We know that Servia with his engineering background had at least a substantial impact designing his setups. The technical experience and the fact that the cars haven't changed probably plays to their advantage. I don't know that it's even possible for an inexperienced driver to get a car close to what Servia was able to accomplish. I guess we'll find out.
But reading in Autosport about Mr Servia's run with Newman-Haas, the driver mentioned that after every single session there is an enginering debrief, a 15 page document is produced on what happened in the session, and possible recommendations for changes, improvements etc etc etc on the engineering/setup/driving style....

.... none of which were said in the article to have happened at DCR...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Jun 2005, 00:16 (Ref:1331927)   #12
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For anyone interested, on tomorrow morning's edition of the Auto Racing Zone (9:00am-10:00am ET), they will have a live interview with Coyne, discussing Valiente.

Listen Here

Ted
Old 18 Jun 2005, 01:37 (Ref:1331944)   #13
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope he sets Portland on fire!

Figuratively, of course...
Old 18 Jun 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1332112)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm assuming that this will make for the most Canadians to ever start an event?
Old 18 Jun 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1332506)   #15
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope. In the 1994 Molson Indy Toronto, there were five Canadians: Paul Tracy, Jacques Villeneuve, Scott Goodyear, Ross Bentley, and Claude Bourbonnais.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 23:41 (Ref:1332564)   #16
trout
Rookie

Canada
Winnipeg. Manitoba
trout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll do well. The best we can hope for are Servia like results - nothing more. But then maybe other teams will see he is a racer....

Four Canucks is sweet and three of them are competive out of the box.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1332972)   #17
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go for it boys!

Ted
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1334629)   #18
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope I can get a photo like that in Toronto, hopefully somehow with me in it