Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29 Jun 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1343322)   #1
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cost of marshalling F1 tests - Autosport article 16th June.

Catching up on my reading of Autosport (several weeks behind) I came across an article which says that the cost of providing marshalling and medical cover at a multi-day F1 test would be around £200,000 'according to senior F1 sources'. It goes on to say that 'the cost of such cover at this year's Australian GP was just over £400,000, but for testing it would be "less than half that"'

So this raises my curiosity as to how these two figures were arrived at.

First of all - correct me if I'm wrong - I believe that overalls and some food is provided in Australia, not sure about any subsistence allowances. In the UK I think they still pay £5 per day.

Does this means that they'd be expecting marshals to give their time equally cheaply (free!) for testing by these mega-buck operations? And why on earth would it be half the cost for testing than it was for the actual GP, presumably for the same cover? Spectator marshals not required?

I want to avoid GP bashing, but I'd love some clarification of my assumptions if anyone has the facts, and I wonder who'd be prepared to devote their time, holiday and travelling costs for this. And before you ask, no, I wouldn't.