Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 11 Nov 2004, 22:20 (Ref:1150963)   #1
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone seen the Autosport article?

p29, good write up on marshals by Jim Holder, deputy editor.

Nice to get a bit of postive coverage. Covers the drop in marshalling numbers, a bit of background and an encouragement to drivers to turn up and help out. The headline goes "It's high time drivers were forced to marshal as a stipulation of their competition licence."
Old 11 Nov 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1150967)   #2
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I thought so to, funnily enough the meeting they were at - the 750MC Birkett 6 hour relay was well manned!
Old 11 Nov 2004, 22:49 (Ref:1150997)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That thought had crossed my mind too.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1151221)   #4
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good article, shame there were no contact details for marshalling clubs.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 08:10 (Ref:1151224)   #5
Alan Crook
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by The Fat Clerk
the 750MC Birkett 6 hour relay was well manned!
In the photo in Autosport 4 women only 2 men should that read well staffed ???
Old 12 Nov 2004, 08:23 (Ref:1151238)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think it's next weeks MN there is a supplement on Marshals so have a look at that when it comes out
Old 12 Nov 2004, 11:40 (Ref:1151422)   #7
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Anyone seen the Autosport article?

Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
The headline goes "It's high time drivers were forced to marshal as a stipulation of their competition licence."
Mate it already happens down here in the colonies

Any driver wanting to upgrade or get his full licence has to serve 8 hours trackside first.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 11:56 (Ref:1151442)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
24th November Issue of MN has a whole supplement dedicated to Marshalling
Old 12 Nov 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1151449)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for giving the correct date Sam...
Old 12 Nov 2004, 21:02 (Ref:1151933)   #10
FLoads
Rookie

FLoads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reference drivers marshalling. It has happened a little with the PWA7C Austin 7 competitions.
I seem to recall last year [?] the driver of an E-Type who was red flagged at bottom S went and assisted with the sweeping. I think that he was from 'up north' so that might have had something to do with it.
On a serious note I think, as an outsider to Marshalling, it might be simpler and more practical for drivers to assist at race meetings, trials rather than Hillclimbs ???
Old 12 Nov 2004, 21:15 (Ref:1151945)   #11
Stone-kicker
Racer

England
Stone-kicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Any driver wanting to upgrade or get his full licence has to serve 8 hours trackside first.

Hmm, 8 hours, guess that means he could leave 2 or 3 hours before the end of some of our meetings!
Old 12 Nov 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1151953)   #12
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a couple my rare days on the bank this year, I've had drivers on post. I was on the 1st corner @ Snett (sorry can't remember names) for a BARC clubby, we had a driver with us, in the morning he & a Marshal had to cross the 'live' track to put out a serious fire, in a Mallock, in the afternoon we had 2 Caterhams touch & both rolled 4 times, boy was his face a picture!
At Mallory the driver on post kindly bought all the Marshals on post an ice-cream when the van came round.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 10:05 (Ref:1152282)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by FLoads
Reference drivers marshalling. It has happened a little with the PWA7C Austin 7 competitions.
The Caterham Graduate series gives drivers championship points for a day's marshalling. A lot of the NW FF drivers have marshalled this year - thanks, Diz!
Old 14 Nov 2004, 09:55 (Ref:1153052)   #14
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
......I've been saying for a long time on here that drivers should have to do some time on the banks every year...Always seems to end against the argument that if someone HAS to do it, they would be a risk to others as they don't really want to be there.....I disagree, if a couple of days marshaling is what it takes to get out racing, it would be done in the right spirit....

Last edited by goforit500; 14 Nov 2004 at 09:56.
Old 14 Nov 2004, 17:59 (Ref:1153316)   #15
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by goforit500
Always seems to end against the argument that if someone HAS to do it, they would be a risk to others as they don't really want to be there
This could be the case which is why I like the Caterham idea.

"If you are prepared to marshal, then we will give you some points". This seems to negate the issue of being "forced".

I would say though, I have NEVER had to worry about a driver being on post with me. They have always had many valid points to raise whilst still learning about we do. Because of that, I have learnt more about what drivers are looking for.

ie: we ALL learn more which can only help.

But back to the thread,..... didn't read the article as I don't subscribe but surely....... any publicity is good publicity?? (assuming it was written correctly). hrug:
Old 14 Nov 2004, 22:04 (Ref:1153488)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
It was written very well. From the point of view of a journo who also races, realising what a widespread group of people get together to do it for free. Also looked at diminishin numbers and some of the reason why. If we could get them to pick it up and do an occasional series it could make a big difference to recruitment. This articl only looked at getting drivers on board, but if the message goes out to the casual fan 'you could do this too' then I'm sure we could pick up some fresh blood.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 12:50 (Ref:1153913)   #17
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Gizmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It`s worth noting that Jim was invited to have a look round Silverstone on a normal day rather than a major event to see how things are run behind the scenes, purely for his own information. To his credit he stayed all day and has chosen to write an honest account of what he saw, well done to him and those that spent time to make his visit worthwhile.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 13:56 (Ref:1153995)   #18
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have marshaled on many occassions with drivers (particularly at MGCC meetings) and I always value it. We as Marshals get to explain elements of the role they may not have thought about (like stopping on the wrong side of the track!) and I also have learnt things from their experience. I think drivers should be encouraged to marshal more and certainly get their friends and family involved, giving championship points or some sort of award is a good idea.

On the subject of the article I thought it was helpful and worthwhile for the average racer to think about.

What I think would be a useful exercise would be to give flyers out to the spectators at meetings - yes I know there is usually a piece in the programme but often people don't buy these. If the BMMC or anyonelse could produce a stack of flyers we could all hand them out when we are doing our job or walking round the paddock etc. I think the main problem is the perception that you have to be someone "special" or get an invite to marshal.

Perhaps there is a marshal out there who owns a print business that could produce the flyers at cost?
Old 15 Nov 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1154017)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Great idea but you may find circuit owners are not in favour of flyers being handed out, unless of course we can guarantee any discarded ones would be cleared up by ourselves.

I'm not trying to pour water on the idea, just making a valid observation.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1154079)   #20
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hadn't thought about the litter issue......
I'm sure some of the circuits would be ok with it - or maybe if the flyers were just available at various merchandise or information points?
I also guess if it was done at the bigger meetings (touring Cars etc) there are so much litter it wouldn't matter
Old 15 Nov 2004, 15:26 (Ref:1154082)   #21
Alan Crook
Veteran

At certain meetings at Donington this happens with a board being put out at various corners with contact details & sometimes flyers.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1154099)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At brands I've seen ads up on the fence too? SG's doing?

I think Jim's article in AS could have been improved if he had spent the day actually marshalling rather than just observing - none the less a good piece...

That said I have hear one of the MN journos spent the day marshalling to get thier note straight for the supplement (week on wednesday - let play spot the marshal)

Last edited by ss_collins; 15 Nov 2004 at 15:56.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 15:53 (Ref:1154109)   #23
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And indeed MN contribs have marshalled this year too
Old 15 Nov 2004, 16:11 (Ref:1154140)   #24
jason carter
Rookie

jason carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jim did indeed marshal this year - together with co-driver Matt B - when their Formula 1000 car failed to work prior to one of the rounds. So they spent the day in the rain instead, helping out.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 16:25 (Ref:1154157)   #25
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ahh my mistake...