Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Apr 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1589968)   #1
Mark Smith
Racer

United Kingdom
Chester
Mark Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport 20th april,Marshalling article

Has anyone read the article on marshalling in this weeks Autosport?
Its been well put together along with some photos of some familiar faces to anyone who marshals at Oulton Park and Anglesey.Is that Nadine at the head of the queue at the burger van?And giving instructions in the rain recovering a FFord?Famous at last!!
Seriously though , it does do a lot to help recruit new members, lets hope it has the right result!
I've just received some car stickers from Volunteersinmotorsport to put on the doors of my Black Cab to help promote the recruitment campaign.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1589975)   #2
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, i've just read it too. My ugly mug is looking straight at the camera, 5th in line for the free burgers that were so welcome that day. Could have swore i avoided that camera, oh well...

A very good article too, helps to explain why without pay we still do what we do in all weathers, and enjoy it so much. It can only help get yet more bodies trackside, and well done Nadine!!!
Old 20 Apr 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1589998)   #3
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey up, I just realised mine hasn't turned up!!

Is it the same article that was in Motorsport News a few weeks ago??
Old 20 Apr 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1590006)   #4
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hi,
Can anyone give me an idea what this is about as I am currently 110 miles off the Aberdeen coast. Can't find a newspaper rig anywhere.
Ta,
Rich Sneader.
ARRC Medic.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1590011)   #5
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Do they do much racing out there!!!
Old 20 Apr 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1590013)   #6
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Do you have a postal address out there, I'll gladly send you my copy when I've read it, PM me.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1590021)   #7
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
We have had a couple of races in our rescue boats, they do 34knots upto a 7 meter wave. Intersting way of curing piles as well. As for a postal address as I am on a maratime rescue response team we are not on the rigs so it is difficult for post. Thank you for the offer. If you see a sea gull going this way perhaps tie a copy to it.
Thanks guys,
Rich S.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1590037)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Exellent article, gave the right spirit of marshalling, other than suggesting that 'most club's do at least look after your stomach's needs' referring to a complimentary lunch voucher and an actual lunch break to use it in. Err, no they don't, mate, you were just lucky! Being serious, I think that's going to help a lot, great pictures, encouraging article, goes a ong way to making up for some of their horrors from last year. Thank you, Autosport.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1590041)   #9
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure that, if they laid some turf on those rigs, you could organise some kind of race.

Seriously though Richard - it's nice to know you are so far away.

As long as you're back in June for our Brands meeting.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1590065)   #10
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see Bluebeard focused as ever on the subject in question!

Terry

P.S. Harry, are you able to join us for the 24hr over the Bank Holiday weekend?
Old 20 Apr 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1590078)   #11
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This article I think was done by Autosport at the Anglesey meeting at the back end of March, when it was a little damp!!
Old 20 Apr 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1590094)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark mercedes
And giving instructions in the rain recovering a FFord?
It was the least she could do in the circumstances.....she caused it! We'd been having a quiet day at Abbotts - just the odd spun & continued - then Nadine arrived & the mayhem started!
Old 21 Apr 2006, 08:41 (Ref:1590569)   #13
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't yet seen it myself but for those who were not there Richard Asher was invited up to the Anglesey circuit at the end of March. I took him around the circuit meeting marshals and seeing all aspects of our hobby in fairly horrendous weather. Rachel Bourne followed us too - hence the pictures and no we didn't plan the accidents they just happened (that's what I always say!!). I am hoping to get some copies of the article sent from Richard so will let people have them once available!!
Old 21 Apr 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1590621)   #14
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex

Thanks Peter, i am training my own flock of sea gulls to hit Colchester, beware, get a good brolly!.
Regards,
Rich S.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1590638)   #15
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was quite a well balanced article, very positive. Only one slight criticism in that it implies we get a lunch break with a free lunch - some circuits maybe, and maybe some of the time, it's certainly not a given, is it?
So, let's invite every other motoring magazine journalist to marshal with us and get even better coverage?
Old 21 Apr 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1590676)   #16
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
ian_c_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lunch break *and* a free lunch at Anglesey?

Makes the 30th even more appealing!

Ian
Old 21 Apr 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1590678)   #17
uncle tom
Racer

Wales
Holywell
uncle tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish I had not worn that woolly hat
Old 21 Apr 2006, 10:42 (Ref:1590715)   #18
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tell you what, i couldnt of looked any happier could i, dont know why i had a face on me!!! i mean come on a fat lad with FREE chips and a burger.

iam just not photogenic!!!
Old 21 Apr 2006, 12:32 (Ref:1590826)   #19
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard, nice to know your safe and sound. Middle of the sea is a good place for you, you can't cause any mayhem (of a racing kind, anyway) out there.

The article was written at the wetest meeting I can remember for a long time. The rain was coming in horizontal from the Irish Sea, so you'd have felt right at home.

The photos showed the creme de la creme of the marshalling fraternity, the total weight of the orange bodies doesn't bear thinking about (and my not so slender frame isn't even included). I think we should have a special award for Rachael next time we see her for showing our more candid side, maybe a golden chip or something!
Old 21 Apr 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1590859)   #20
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_c_uk
Lunch break *and* a free lunch at Anglesey?

Makes the 30th even more appealing!
Don't expect a 'free' lunch on the 30th; you will, barring major disasters, get a reasonable lunch break & there will no doubt be the customary drink at the end of the meeting.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1590862)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle tom
I wish I had not worn that woolly hat
There are worse hats in that picture - Kaybee's monstrosity (hat, that is!) has crept in at the left hand side!
Old 21 Apr 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1590870)   #22
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Note in the FF-pushing picture everybody's decked out in all sorts of wet weather gear......except for Ken Tyrer, who's in his shirt sleeves. Truly, clerks are a race apart from us ordinary mortals!

Got my best side as well!
Old 21 Apr 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1590942)   #23
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Note in the FF-pushing picture everybody's decked out in all sorts of wet weather gear......except for Ken Tyrer, who's in his shirt sleeves. Truly, clerks are a race apart from us ordinary mortals!
Our comment on seeing that was that you could tell who had just got out of the nice warm course car. But I won't dispute that they are a race apart - just what you mean by that!
Old 21 Apr 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1590971)   #24
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
ian_c_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Don't expect a 'free' lunch on the 30th; you will, barring major disasters, get a reasonable lunch break & there will no doubt be the customary drink at the end of the meeting.
I've quickly learnt to expect nothing, but some decent races, a 5min breather for lunch and beer \ good company to finish is good enough for me!

Ian
Old 21 Apr 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1591076)   #25
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_c_uk
I've quickly learnt to expect nothing, but some decent races, a 5min breather for lunch and beer \ good company to finish is good enough for me!
I've had a message straight from the horse's mouth:

'Don't forget with it being a BRSCC meeting you will get the customary £10.00 for which you can buy lunch with so you get a free lunch and a beer after if i remember to go and get it. !'

Can't say fairer than that! (I must point out that that only applies to Anglesey meetings)