Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 5 Oct 2020, 18:38 (Ref:4008734)   #5201
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Even RM doesn’t sound too optimistic for oval future

https://racer.com/2020/10/05/miller-...penskes-fault/
Some very interesting comments from Roger Penske, in that article and it doesn't all sound like doom and gloom.

“Depending on what happens with COVID, we’ve got to be flexible,” said Penske. “I think St. Louis would run two races if necessary, and we’ve got the Speedway road course for a backup plan if needed. Kentucky and Chicago (both dropped from the 2021 NASCAR schedule) might be an option some day, and there could be a resurgence in some of these ovals that aren’t going to be used (by NASCAR).”
Old 5 Oct 2020, 20:34 (Ref:4008745)   #5202
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I can tell from those comments that Penske is passionate on keeping oval racing in this series and he will do whatever he can. He just needs to wait for the right time due to the current uncertainty in the world
Old 6 Oct 2020, 04:24 (Ref:4008783)   #5203
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wondering if Penske is just biding his time for the purchase of IA Speedway. The racing has been great there, it's easily worked into the schedule over several months time. I'm hoping that it can come back.
Old 6 Oct 2020, 12:03 (Ref:4008824)   #5204
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Wondering if Penske is just biding his time for the purchase of IA Speedway. The racing has been great there, it's easily worked into the schedule over several months time. I'm hoping that it can come back.
Agree on the good racing there, I've always enjoyed watching Indycars on that small track.

I have no idea how the monetary side of running a track works. If Nascar couldn't make ownership work there, how will anyone else?
Old 6 Oct 2020, 16:13 (Ref:4008856)   #5205
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Plus there are rumors of VERY high tax bill due that's been deferred for a long while. Penske's due diligence this summer at Iowa supposedly didn't go well when they looked in to the track if you believe so of the Indy Star guys.
Old 7 Oct 2020, 05:23 (Ref:4008942)   #5206
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Plus there are rumors of VERY high tax bill due that's been deferred for a long while. Penske's due diligence this summer at Iowa supposedly didn't go well when they looked in to the track if you believe so of the Indy Star guys.

Property tax has been deferred? Sounds like an additional obstacle that needs to be overcome. Still hoping that Iowa can be returned to the schedule.
Old 12 Oct 2020, 21:38 (Ref:4010234)   #5207
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who's AMSP going after for 2021? Askew let go after St Pete, he's still not cleared to drive in the event.

https://racer.com/2020/10/12/amsp-to...st-petersburg/
Old 12 Oct 2020, 21:51 (Ref:4010237)   #5208
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Who's AMSP going after for 2021? Askew let go after St Pete, he's still not cleared to drive in the event.

https://racer.com/2020/10/12/amsp-to...st-petersburg/
Sergio Perez?
It is rumoured they (AMSP) are interested and have approached him

--

Am I right if I think there was no Indy Lights championship this year?
If that's true, then they most likely won't pick up a rookie, so that would mean:
* someone who is Indycar right now
* one of "the old guys" (Castroneves, Montoya) or one of the free agents (Hinchcliffe)
* an outsider: Perez

I don't think one of the older guys would be a good bet for a full season seat. Hinchcliffe is, but he was sacked and may not want and is/was tied to Honda anyway
Not sure if people like Daly, Pigeot and similar are the ones they are after. Maybe someone like Veekay if he considers ASPM an upgrade over ECR?

Last edited by gert; 12 Oct 2020 at 22:14.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 07:31 (Ref:4010302)   #5209
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Perez I'm sure wouldn't say no to Indycars, but his chances depend on how much he wants to stay in F1 and I'm sure he's not eager to leave at this time. Frankly I would be surprised if we don't still see him in F1 next season

No there was no Indy Lights championship which was a massive shame, it can be even more of a competitive series than the big Indycars (apart from the Indy 500, the most competitive of them all)

Who knows who will take the seat now? Depends who they feel would work well for them. Castroneves I can see there, but I'm not sure what Montoya would do, I'm not sure he's all that keen to return to Indycars. He's probably happy where he is atm. Hinchcliffe could happen though. Perez, we'll see, but I'd much rather see him in McLaren in F1. If only...

It depends too who wants to commit to a whole season. It was a shame what happened to Hinch, will he be back fulltime? It would be a massive shame if a talent like him wasn't seen in Indycar racing anymore, whether the Indy 500 or any other race for that matter. It's a mystery who they will go for. Plenty of names out there, but how much would they want to go there? Veekay could be worth a punt, I can see him giving it a chance
Old 13 Oct 2020, 09:14 (Ref:4010334)   #5210
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Perez I'm sure wouldn't say no to Indycars, but his chances depend on how much he wants to stay in F1 and I'm sure he's not eager to leave at this time.
That probably depends on whether he want to stay in F1 for the sake of being in F1, or move on and find a series (Indycar, WEC, ... whatever) where he can compete at the front.

His prospects for success in F1 are looking bleak: he may end up at Haas or Sauber/Alfa and sit near the back of the grid.
Or maybe, just maybe he can get the 2nd Red Bull - the one that got a single podium in the last 32 starts - and play rear gunner for Verstappen.

I think his chances at F1 success are over and if he is looking for success he may better start looking somewhere else.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 12:19 (Ref:4010367)   #5211
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Sergio Perez?
It is rumoured they (AMSP) are interested and have approached him

--

Am I right if I think there was no Indy Lights championship this year?
If that's true, then they most likely won't pick up a rookie, so that would mean:
* someone who is Indycar right now
* one of "the old guys" (Castroneves, Montoya) or one of the free agents (Hinchcliffe)
* an outsider: Perez

I don't think one of the older guys would be a good bet for a full season seat. Hinchcliffe is, but he was sacked and may not want and is/was tied to Honda anyway
Not sure if people like Daly, Pigeot and similar are the ones they are after. Maybe someone like Veekay if he considers ASPM an upgrade over ECR?
I thought maybe they would pick somebody with experience. Castroneves or the likes would be able to bring experience from a championship winning team to the Arrow guys. Would that be enough to get Pato contending for the championship next year? I don't know, but maybe two young guns wasn't quite enough.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 15:29 (Ref:4010406)   #5212
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well Hinch is likely out, he's a Honda guy and there's an opening at Andretti so I'd expect there first.

Perez I'd guess would be their first choice, likely brings money and they know him in the organization.

For experience and car setup advice I could see Helio but can he bring enough? JPM I think is done in Indy, out of the seat a decent but of time now. Doubt TK for his retirement lap, think they'd want a couple year guy. It will likely be the hottest seat for driver's to want after Andretti even with the team's struggles at times.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 09:01 (Ref:4010550)   #5213
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Not Perez, Hinchcliffe or Castroneves for ASPM, but Rosenqvist.
Didn't see that coming...

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...-arrow-mclaren
Old 14 Oct 2020, 09:30 (Ref:4010564)   #5214
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ganassi already have Dixon under contract and Marcus Ericsson was apparently set to stay with Ganassi, plus they had also signed Jimmie Johnson for 2021, just for road and street courses. Ganassi weren't ever going to field four cars and with Askew looking very doubtful, that would seem the logical move for Rosenqvist and for SPAM.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 09:32 (Ref:4010565)   #5215
S griffin
Veteran

Good choice in Rosenqvist, he's more than capable
Old 14 Oct 2020, 10:40 (Ref:4010590)   #5216
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Not Perez, Hinchcliffe or Castroneves for ASPM, but Rosenqvist.
Didn't see that coming...

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...-arrow-mclaren
I gotta say that surprised me too. He does bring experience to the team, just not a ton of Indy experience. Overall great driver pairing for aspm!
Old 14 Oct 2020, 12:24 (Ref:4010608)   #5217
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Magnussen linked to Meyer Shank?

Alongside or instead of Harvey?

Could see Hinchcliffe, Daly or even further current but potentially soon to be out of a drive F1 guys looking.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 13:52 (Ref:4010622)   #5218
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Ganassi had also signed Jimmie Johnson for 2021, just for road and street courses
What if Ganassi signs Hélio for ovals?
Old 14 Oct 2020, 14:45 (Ref:4010632)   #5219
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
There are only 4 oval races next year but I'm sure Hélio would want to do the 500 and get that elusive 4th win.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 14:46 (Ref:4010633)   #5220
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
According to rumours, Kanaan is being thought of that oval seat.
Although, we've had some surprises already, so who knows.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 16:30 (Ref:4010661)   #5221
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Ganassi is weird top team. Only one competitive car, pay drivers, and the only other top level talent now leaves for a lower level team. Odd. Though I'm sure spam will be a top level team moving g forward, just seems odd that ganassi can't even keep 2 competitive drivers together, whereas Penske does 3-4. Also, this means no additional entry for Johnson? Its dixon and ericson full time only with Johnson part time?

Remember when ganassi had Kanaan park it mid race without the car being damaged? That was odd, too. I just dont get that team sometimes. Other than having an all time great for a long time now.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 17:11 (Ref:4010675)   #5222
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Ganassi is weird top team. Only one competitive car, pay drivers, and the only other top level talent now leaves for a lower level team. Odd. Though I'm sure spam will be a top level team moving g forward, just seems odd that ganassi can't even keep 2 competitive drivers together, whereas Penske does 3-4. Also, this means no additional entry for Johnson? Its dixon and ericson full time only with Johnson part time?

Remember when ganassi had Kanaan park it mid race without the car being damaged? That was odd, too. I just dont get that team sometimes. Other than having an all time great for a long time now.
Johnson is only going to do the road and street courses. However, I would be surprised if he didn't race in the 500.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 17:14 (Ref:4010677)   #5223
S griffin
Veteran

I’m sure Johnson would be very keen to do the 500
Old 15 Oct 2020, 12:34 (Ref:4010809)   #5224
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I don't think Mrs Johnson is so keen on him doing the 500. Every time I've heard him asked it's hinted around as the reason
Old 24 Oct 2020, 15:10 (Ref:4012422)   #5225
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
McLaughlin is set for a full-season in 2021, with Team Penske running a four-car lineup.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2020/10...Full-Time-2021