Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Oct 2004, 13:13 (Ref:1124259)   #1
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your Sport, My Sport, Who's Sport

Earlier this week I read an article in the Daily Telegraph, about Holdens and Fords response to Avesco's statment that they are could open up the gates for other manufacters.

TC had his usual outburst in response to Holdens/Fords statements. Reading something like the following, TC said I dont tell Holden &Ford how to run their companies, they won't tell how to run MY sport.

Sorry Tony who's sport ? When has it become owned by one man. What about the BS about it being all about the fans, or did that go out the window when events were taken away from the heartland.

The arrogance once again showed by just one man to call the taxi's his own, to me, (who doesn't really like the 5 litre series much at all) a slap in the face to all the other parties involved in the series.

Thoughts
Old 14 Oct 2004, 15:46 (Ref:1124387)   #2
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its the Fanshhhh sport! Ask the fans they don't want any overseas rounds, how many people can go an watch the V8's in China, not many, how many can go and watch the V8's at Winton?

In my opinion Winton has turned on the good racing for a few years now, I think a race at Shanghai would be really really boring to watch!
Old 15 Oct 2004, 04:05 (Ref:1124903)   #3
malarky
Racer

malarky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony's biting the hand that feeds him (again), in more ways than one.

Without Holden and Ford contributing the huge sums that they do for drivers, parts, development, administration and advertising to support their involvement with V8 Supercars, Tony would have very little to 'sell' to anyone if they walked away.

This isn’t an issue of whether Toyota should be allowed in (my personal opinion is that they should), but more an issue of how it's done. If Holden and Ford pulled out of V8's tomorrow, Tony wouldn't have a product full stop.

As for Toyota, I say let them in, but under very strict conditions. Firstly I'd make them pay a fee to get involved. Holden and Ford have spent millions getting the series to where it is today (in spite of Tony's beliefs) and I suggest a minimum commitment from the big T of 5 years. I'd also make them have to support a minimum of 4 two-car teams.

But Tony, you are deluding yourself if you think you 'own' V8's.

I remember another cocky group a few years ago that took on the established V8 teams and manufacturers.

'Supertourers' I believe they were called? ? ?
Old 15 Oct 2004, 04:24 (Ref:1124908)   #4
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
This is a really risky step.

V8 supercars trade heavily on the make-believe that the cars are "worked" versions of the latest taxi or sales rep car. People like to identify with the race cars. Deep down we all know they are really a cross between nascars and Sports Sedans, and have more in common with each other then with "me mates new car", but we are willing to suspend disbelief in the name of a good race.

However if they open it up to v8 rear drive camry or magna, on a blueprint wheelbase and track (like since when a have falcons and commies had same wheelbase? since blueprint, it seems), I think this may well over stretch the point.

Can you imagine a magna or camrty stretched and widened to the same size as a falcon, with a v8 rear drive and huge wings? no? Im not sure the punters can either. It could cause people to turn away and look for a more "relevant" class.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 04:37 (Ref:1124911)   #5
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A lot of the masses wouldn't care that the cars are not "showroom compliant"

As you stated, they resemble each other more closely than anything else.
What is the difference if you stick on a different body shell ?

I do however agree that there should be some input into the funding of the series (extra un advertised round sponsorship $).

D.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 10:58 (Ref:1125108)   #6
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Difficult situation- bring Toyota in and a new direction for the fans of same is taken while a mass exodus of Holden/Ford V8 fans might go out the same door.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 15 Oct 2004, 11:08 (Ref:1125120)   #7
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have being saying this about Aussie Bernie for years, he only cares on his pocket and that is it.
Yes I would love to see more than two manufactores run around, but I would love to see the tracks that have supported Australian Touring Car Racing over the years continue,not Aussie Bernie street circuts and overseas joints.(And I think that the home of motorsport has a bit to answer on that point to.)

Bottom line is that touring car racing is a fan based sport and it not for a money hungry enterpronur(Sorry about the spelling) to come along and rip us OFF.

Aussie Bernie TC has brought touring car racing out of the dark ages to a new height, but so have the fans to.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 15 Oct 2004, 22:32 (Ref:1125615)   #8
resisturban
Racer

resisturban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah,

because im sure that the V8's dont need money to survive...

which is why they could easily survive only racing at places which die-hard v8 fans would go to.

Its a business, and i applaud tony for what he has made the V8's into, yes, it is very commercial nowadays... but it has to be!!!

you expect just ticket sales to cover event costs?

how about everyone stops *****ing about how tony is just doing this for the money, and realise that if it wasnt for AVESCO, the V8's would still be a crappy series running at places like mallala and wakefield, where the average crowds would be about 10,000.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 22:49 (Ref:1125625)   #9
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by resisturban
[B]Yeah,

because im sure that the V8's dont need money to survive...

you expect just ticket sales to cover event costs?

how about everyone stops *****ing about how tony is just doing this for the money

Some fans (me) are concerned because the decisions are made for financial reasons not the benefit of the sport: my complaint is when a financial decision is cross dressed - just be up front.
I'd like to see a 2nd category get off the ground, e.g V8 Star based Jags etc or JGTC cars (say last years models). More factory bucks into the sport & aiming to grow the sport.

Old 15 Oct 2004, 23:08 (Ref:1125637)   #10
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by resisturban
how about everyone stops *****ing about how tony is just doing this for the money, and realise that if it wasnt for AVESCO, the V8's would still be a crappy series running at places like mallala and wakefield, where the average crowds would be about 10,000.
I would quite like that actually. We might get to see some decent racing instead of the follow the leader bordom that we have to put up with now. I havnt watched half the races this year because there is nothing happening. The only time a possition changes i when the pit stops happen.
I think the majority of spectators would love to have rounds at Wakefield and Mallala instead of China and New Zealand. I know i can afford to go to Wakefield, but i cant see the budget stretching for tickets to chinahrug:

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 16 Oct 2004, 01:11 (Ref:1125674)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Cochran
It's about time you people realised this is MY category - I took it on I built it up and I was te only one to have the guts to keep going. I decide what happens to the category - nobody else.
So Mr Cochrane (note the respect!) can you tells us what its like to be criticised from pillar to post about many things you do?

I am sure the public doesnt see all the trials and tribulations you have to go thru to keep achieving record crowds, record television audiences, opening the series up to new markets, and keeping 35 cars on the grid without their owners killing each other....

An insight here would be very much appreciated.

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Oct 2004, 01:20 (Ref:1125675)   #12
Anthony Cochran
Rookie

Anthony Cochran should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Criticism is levelled by one of two groups of people.

Those who don't understand what they are criticising in the first place (many in these forums qualify for this level) and then there are those who criticise because they couldn't do the job in the first place - in other words - they are simply jealous.

I have taken this series from one that was unlikely to compete with even the Super Tourers to the best series in the world - bar none.

We no longer have to count the farmers daughter and sheep in the attendance figures - we own the farmers daughter and will soon double all the sheep - we have to thank Greg Murphy and ouw Kiwi fans for that though - credit where credit is due you understand.

New Zealand wants us, China wants us, South Africa wants us and soon America will have us - we are that good.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 02:35 (Ref:1125686)   #13
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Quote:

New Zealand wants us, China wants us, South Africa wants us and soon America will have us - we are that good.

Good luck into trying to get into the mighty USA, I think
that NASCAR will have something to say about that.

And thanks for only giving us a pity 35 cars at Bathurst, when the mount has had grids of 55+
Old 16 Oct 2004, 03:11 (Ref:1125690)   #14
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately under TC's reign the V8's haven't been the fans sport for some time & while that egomaniac is in charge i can't see it changing.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 03:17 (Ref:1125693)   #15
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
So bloody true jetsetter
Old 16 Oct 2004, 03:48 (Ref:1125701)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought there were 36 garages
Old 16 Oct 2004, 03:52 (Ref:1125703)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The 36th garage contained the official weighbridge.

Which was handy for Mr Walden's mob, who got out of a penalty (starting at the back of the grid like the #5 FPR car) as they claimed force majeure, having the weighbridge next door, maneouvring into the space from the pit apron space meant they didnt get in trouble.....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Oct 2004, 06:41 (Ref:1125752)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's about time you people realised this is MY category - I took it on I built it up and I was te only one to have the guts to keep going. I decide what happens to the category - nobody else.
You are not Tony Cochrane. If you were you would have called it your sport, not your category
Old 16 Oct 2004, 06:43 (Ref:1125753)   #19
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And while we're on it, when will Tony Cochrane stop calling V8Supercars a sport???

The sport is MOTORSPORT

V8Supercars are just a category of motorsport.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 07:23 (Ref:1125764)   #20
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
I agree racer69 but unfortunatly one Aussie Bernie TC has bribed CAMS to destroy every other catagory of motorsort in oz.

What Aussie Bernis says CAMS do.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 07:31 (Ref:1125768)   #21
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm just wondering why Anthony is unable to spell his own surname?

Last edited by eduardo1; 16 Oct 2004 at 07:32.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 07:37 (Ref:1125770)   #22
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Point eduardo1 15-luv
Old 16 Oct 2004, 08:18 (Ref:1125789)   #23
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no he said once before that software won't let him put the *e* on.
This is a p!ss pull isn't it??????????

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 16 Oct 2004, 09:57 (Ref:1125843)   #24
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The software prevents him spelling correctly. It also gives him punctuation problems.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 11:49 (Ref:1125906)   #25
Techo
Racer

Techo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can almost hear that annoying speech impediment as well