Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Oct 2004, 22:56 (Ref:1113623)   #1
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champ Car To Edmonton in 2005

This article appeared in yesterday's Edmonton Journal. It is on-line but the site is subscription based. Kudos to this poster at Champweb.net for the details.

Quote:
Race fans, start your engines
City organizers sign contract with Champ Car to host major international event
by JOHN SHORT
Edmonton Journal Sports Columnist

Edmonton is poised to host a major international car race at the City Centre Airport next summer. Tom Doerkson, a former racer who has helped spearhead a three-year effort to secure a race in Edmonton, confirmed on Friday that a local group has signed a contract with Champ Car. The contract calls on Champ Car, once known as CART, to provide drivers (Paul Tracy, Patrick Carpentier, Sebastien Bourdais and the like) vehicles, attendants and crew members for a weekend race at the airport from July 15-17.

“The contracts were signed this morning,” said Doerkson on Friday. “We couldn’t be more pleased.”

In order to secure the deal with Champ Car, an unnamed local businessman has provided a $2-million letter of credit. More money, perhaps as much as $3 million, will be needed to get the race off the ground, said Doerkson. But an investors group is in place “similar to the one that kept the Edmonton Oilers in our city.” Committed and potential investors are expected to meet next week. Some are convinced the economic benefit to Edmonton and area will be $20 to $25 million.

“We’re planning to provide seats for 50,000 to 60,000 spectators, ”Doerkson said, pointing out that three-day events of this type usually draw 150,000 to 180,000 fans. The race wouldbeChampCar’s fourth stop in Canada, along with the Molson Indy races in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

If there’s a caution flag to be waved, however, it would be Molson’s involvement in an Edmonton race. Molson has yet to meet with the Edmonton group to discuss television commitments, title sponsorship arrangements and other issues. A Molson media spokesman, who didn’t want his name used, said no meeting has been scheduled to discuss those issues. And he also rejected the suggestion that the Edmonton race would replace Vancouver on the Molson Indy calendar.

“There was speculation about the future of the Vancouver Indy, including the possibility that it might be moved to Calgary,” he said. “We’ve been aware of those concerns. It’s important to realize no commitment has been made at this point, either to add a race or to change our existing race schedule.”

Molson holds first right of refusal for promotional rights and sponsorship of any Champ Car race in this country. But the Edmonton group has the right to stage an event without the Molson banner.

The race would be contained on a three-kilometre track entirely within the City Centre Airport. Airport spokeswoman Traci Bednard said on Friday that no contract exists between Doerkson’s organization and the airport at this point, “which could simply be a technicality.” She confirmed numerous meetings have taken place and others are certainly possible.

Doerkson said his proposal calls for a three-week period of preparation, but only seven days of serious interference with airport traffic.

It’s been a long road for Doerkson and his colleagues, who had recently failed to convince Northlands Park officials that they should construct a permanent road circuit on the fairgrounds to help attract a Champ Car race to Edmonton. After that setback, Doerkson arranged to meet with Champ Car executive vice-president Joseph Chrnelich in Cleveland during the first week of July and in Montreal in late August.

Doerkson, a big part of the promotional team behind the massive success of the world under-19 women’s soccer championship in Edmonton two years ago, came away from both meetings encouraged. “A lot of hard work went into this project,” he said.
Ted
Old 3 Oct 2004, 00:47 (Ref:1113659)   #2
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NO WAY! It says they've already signed the contracts. Race to be held on my birthday next year. I remember driving by City Center Airport thinking it'd be a great place to hold a race.

I guess this means Calgary doesn't get a race then?
Old 3 Oct 2004, 02:09 (Ref:1113676)   #3
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the part about providing Pat best.

"The contract calls on Champ Car, once known as CART, to provide drivers (Paul Tracy, Patrick Carpentier, Sebastien Bourdais and the like) vehicles, attendants and crew members for a weekend race at the airport from July 15-17."
Old 3 Oct 2004, 10:06 (Ref:1113838)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Sorry if I'm behind the times, but does this mean FOUR Canadian races (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Edmonton) in 2005?
Old 3 Oct 2004, 10:37 (Ref:1113864)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Possibly!
Old 3 Oct 2004, 12:46 (Ref:1113950)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I take it this would be a street race? Any Edmonton locals have any idea of whether a good layout can/will be arranged?
Old 3 Oct 2004, 13:01 (Ref:1113958)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's an airport race, Boots.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1113983)   #8
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear Fellows,

Edmonton is a much more likely candidate than Calgary to replace Vancouver in next year's Champ Car calendar. Friday I met a person that works at the Long Beach Grand Prix Association and I was told that Vancouver is "looking quite shaky" for next year. This is nothing new (it has been rumoured time and again), but regrettably, it seems to be another indication that we may have already seen the last Champ Car race in that wonderful town. The person I met has close connections with Vancouver organizers.

Continuing: according to someone I know within a team whose owner is in the OWRS board, no contract has been signed with any new track for next year, and this includes Edmonton. There would be no draft or even a letter of intention on Edmonton yet, but contacts are happening. It also seems that this event would not be sponsored by Molson. The considered location is the old airport in Edmonton downtown (curiously I had a friend that worked there!). It seems that what was published by the Canadian press are "seeds" to attract other investors to pay the bill. Do not book plane tickets to Edmonton yet.

The same person referenced in the previous paragraph confirmed that, interestingly, the Edmonton contacts were initiated by "the local people" [sic] and "not by us" [OWRS]. Also, this source gave serious hints that all but confirmed what I had heard before (and posted in this forum): a race in Calgary has not been a serious consideration - at least not so far. OWRS is looking for alternative venues in case Vancouver cannot host a race in 2005, and made a list of possible venues "up north". This study includes all sort of ideas and concepts which are not to be understood as firm proposals. I have been told that some of the locations mentioned were Mosport, Calgary, "a place close to Vancouver" (Victoria?), a second race in Montréal in the same season, Winnipeg, Ottawa and quite possibly some others (I was not given other names though). Again, all indicates that these locations were brainstormed based in geographical and economical considerations, so do not spend time looking for "potential race tracks around these towns" or carrying out futile exercises as drawing the race track of your dreams in downtown Ottawa.

Regards,

Muzza

Last edited by Muzza; 3 Oct 2004 at 13:32.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1114048)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool stuff, I hope it happends. It certainly sounds like a move in the right direction. Muzza I hope your souce just isn't enough in the loop to know that it'll soon be finalized. Still don't get why the Vancouver race can't be relocated in the Vancouver area. I keep saying this, the GP of London Ontario has a great ring to it.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1114089)   #10
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muzza as always you bring up good points. The Edmonton group has been around for number of years and have been trying to get a race here. Now in "race" I mean a major motorsports event. Rumors have also had the ALMS in 05 and the rumor that IRL talked to the Edmonton group. I believe this is the same group that was rumored to have a proposal of building a temp/perminate race track on the grounds of Northlands (where our horse race track,the Oilers arena, and exhibition grounds. This track would be in the middle of residental area so it would be a hard sell. But a successful Champ Car race held once a year may make this fly.

Molson not being involved is true at this point but that can easily be solved. Remember this Edmonton group would be the promoters and thus Molson would have the benifits of sponsorship but no risks as a promoter. Another point is that Molson, I have been told by the Molson CEO, are talking to Calgary.

Another rumor is that Molson wants Calgary but Champ Car wants Edmonton. So this is all very interesting and we really won't know which way it will go until a schedule is announced.

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 3 Oct 2004 at 16:33.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1114097)   #11
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a link to Edmonton Sun article that adds to the dicussion:
Edmonton Sun
Old 3 Oct 2004, 17:14 (Ref:1114117)   #12
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, speaking from the only point of view that interests me, the racing (I'm selfish like that ), another Airport track sounds great...there's got to be a healthy long straight or two around such a layout!

Has anyone got any ideas about the proposed track layout? :confused:
Old 3 Oct 2004, 21:09 (Ref:1114323)   #13
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read that article in the Sun this morning actually. I say just add both Calgary and Edmonton! I'll go to both...

I think it's doable. Every year, Calgary has the Stampede that sees over one million visitors in the 10 days, then like a week or two later, Edmonton holds Klondike days (which are almost identical) and gets comparable numbers. As for possible layouts, find an aerial photgraph of the ariport and have a go at it.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 12:31 (Ref:1114818)   #14
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good points, Muzza, as usual.

Poster at another forum also pointed out that the weekend mentioned in the Journal article is the final weekend of the Stampede, adding that many from Edmonton, both corporate and fans, attend that event. It would be senseless to compete with that long-standing event just down the road a ways.

My guess is that OWRS is using the Edmonton dangle to negotiate a better deal with Molson for Calgary, like when Gentilozzi threatened an LA street race if Long Beach didn't stay in line, San Jose/Laguna, etc. Singleton is dealing internally with the merger with Coors as a consideration of what happens and probably isn't going to get run over right now.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 14:21 (Ref:1114931)   #15
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Airport tracks tend to be great, with lots of overtaking chances,although the deisgn of the first corner is crucial to avoid regular first lap carnage. Retaining 3 Canadian races is quite important for CART, no doubt about it.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1115354)   #16
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Cowboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I am speachless. The possibility of a Champ Car race an hour and 20 minutes from my house would be insane. I was babbling and smiling like a drunken idiot when I first heard of the possiblity of a race in Calgary. Now I am completely speachless and my smile just got bigger.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 04:16 (Ref:1115537)   #17
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
As a kid who was born in Edmonton, raised in Calgary, and is currently attending University back in Edmonton, it really is win-win!

Honestly, however, a race in Calgary makes more financial sense, with a greater potential for corporate involvement. After all, it is the Houston of the north. As for the ability of staging a street race there.... that could be tough. But I guess I'll let OWRS/Molson handle this one and take what I'm given, whenever that may be.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 16:35 (Ref:1116103)   #18
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone who lived in BC for the last 10 years, I will be sad to see the Molson Indy Vancouver go. However, as someone who will probably soon be taking up permanent residence in Alberta, I say do Calgary and Edmonton. I'll attend both! And another airport circuit would be awesome.

Last edited by evo; 5 Oct 2004 at 16:36.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 05:36 (Ref:1117668)   #19
LadyRaceFan
Rookie

LadyRaceFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Sorry if I'm behind the times, but does this mean FOUR Canadian races (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Edmonton) in 2005?
That is what I read today.

The following came from Almost Human. A race website that I believe is located at Auto Racing Daily. It's a newsletter type website:

The Canadian city of Edmonton could find itself with a Champ Car World Series event as early as next year if the latest stateside rumours are to be believed.

A report posted in the Edmonton Journal late last week indicates that the city has already signed a contract with Champ Car to host a race next July on a course designed around the Edmonton City Centre Airport.

The report also indicated that a race in Edmonton would not come at the cost of losing the Molson Indy Vancouver and would add a fourth Canadian date alongside Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.

The future of the Vancouver race has been the subject of some speculation owing to planned construction work around the site of the current Champ Car course.

Sounds good to me..
Old 7 Oct 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1117769)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to hear that they are looking at an airport-track as opposed to yet another street-circuit.

Hopefully I'll get to see it on TV too (if the race becomes a reality, that is).
Old 7 Oct 2004, 12:42 (Ref:1117985)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, its excellent news that Champcar is seeking new venues, but it must be careful that variety of different disciplines are kept
Old 7 Oct 2004, 16:26 (Ref:1118178)   #22
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Why is the offer to Champcar, from this Edmonton group, proposing the same date that the Toronto Molson Indy traditionally runs on? July 15-17

(From National Post, Sports section, Page S4)
Old 7 Oct 2004, 16:35 (Ref:1118191)   #23
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
I'm sure the date isn't set it stone yet, but that is a pretty poor choice for a number of reasons. It's the last weekend of the Calgary Stampede, so that may keep some Calgarians from making the trek to Edmonton. Not me though. I also really doubt that the Molson Indy Toronto is in any danger.

I believe the agreement itself was "tentative", and there was an article in the Sun that I recall mentioning this fact, and that the group that made the proposal wanted to make it clear that it wasn't a done deal just yet. There's probably a few more hoops to jump through, but I remain optimistic about the possibility of a fourth Canadian race in Calgary/Edmonton.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 16:47 (Ref:1118203)   #24
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another good point, Fogelhund.

There must be a lot in play here, including the acrimonious Coors-Molson merger.

Again, my guess is that both OWRS and Molson are looking for better deals. The Calgary deal has been in the works for months as an alternative to the situation in Vancouver with Singleton hooking up with the Stampede people and Edmonton has come out of the blue in the last couple weeks.

My guess continues to be that OWRS is following the same pattern it has since its inception. Rumors started about Long Beach going IRL and Gentilozzi came out saying they'd run an LA street race against it if that happens. San Jose came out as an obvious alternative threat to Laguna. That follows Pook insisting on scheduling Mid-Ohio opposite Kentucky's IRL race, which subsequently screwed up both Mid-Ohio and Road America. Gentilozzi threatened the Portland race initially in The Oregonian to give the date to Montreal.

My guess is that OWRS has thrown Edmonton into the mix, on Toronto's date, against the Stampede, for supposed leverage. OWRS probably wants a long-term deal with Molson and Singleton probably can't make a long term deal with the merger hanging over him. And he's probably saying, "you take Edmonton over Calgary and you don't GET Toronto either and I'll talk to IRL and Grand Am about it."

IMO, negotiations for races in Canada can't be going very well. It's always been a cash cow for CART/OWRS and with all this screwing around, unsettled and probably acrimonious as pressures and leverages get applied, and with Carpentier supposedly going to the IRL, and other than Singleton saying he had never talked to the people in Edmonton, nothing else is being said, I don't think this is very good.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 17:04 (Ref:1118224)   #25
indycool
Veteran

You can't get to the whole story Fogelhund mentioned without a subscription, but the lead that you CAN read is pretty telling.

http://www.canada.com/national/natio...6-d8a267680183