Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 17 Jan 2003, 14:22 (Ref:477281)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans Posters 2003

The last couple of years have featured Bentleys pretty prominently, despite finishing a best 3rd in 2001. Audi, who've won 3 times on the trot, have not been featured at all in the last 4 years they've run at Le Mans.

In fact, the race poster for 2001 predates the Bentley ever having run at Le Sarthe, but they're more prominent than the previous year's winner, who are on the poster in the background.

Now, the Bentley is a pretty car, and all, but I think the real reason they've been on the poster is because they were running Dunlops. Dunlop is one of the feature sponsors on the bottom of the poster, and the Dunlop bridge has also featured prominently in the PQ and race poster for 2002.

Now that they're running Michelins, will we see other cars as the centrepiece? Is it time for the R8 to be the primary car in the poster?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Jan 2003, 14:42 (Ref:477302)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your right, i'd noticed that. I doubt it will be an Audi though, they're not even running, and the won't show a privateer team.
Maybe they'll show a car in GTS, a Corvette perhaps (are they running this year?), one of those would look quite good on one of those posters
Old 17 Jan 2003, 15:56 (Ref:477391)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gotta be a Debora, surely......
Old 17 Jan 2003, 16:10 (Ref:477402)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Seriously, though, should it be Prototypes or Productions? A Dallara, Dome, Ascari, Audi, Panoz, MG? Corvette, Ferrari, Viper, Zonda?

Personally, if it has to be specific cars, I'd go for something like this (with apologies to Speed Tribe):
Attached Thumbnails
speedtribestart.jpg  
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Jan 2003, 16:35 (Ref:477423)   #5
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be nice to have some GT cars by way of a change this year.
A 550 chaseing a vette towards the esses would be nice.
But as no front runners will be on Dunlops (I think?) It may turn out to be a dramatic night scene as per a few years ago wiht the Nissan.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 19:47 (Ref:477597)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Old 18 Jan 2003, 11:31 (Ref:478088)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dunlop in 1966. A very similar style to the poster, I thought.
Attached Thumbnails
dunlop66.jpg  
Old 21 Jan 2003, 15:32 (Ref:481141)   #8
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I bet for a Bentley again...
Old 21 Jan 2003, 15:33 (Ref:481142)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Pushed by the pilot ?
Old 21 Jan 2003, 16:05 (Ref:481180)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Who's likely to be running Dunlops? Dome, Piper, Lister?

Otherwise they'll have to settle for the bridge. And it can be any car. Or they could go with a more "arty" poster, like the posters in the '50s. That is something I'd like to see.

Last edited by paul-collins; 21 Jan 2003 at 16:06.

-Bill James
Old 21 Jan 2003, 16:22 (Ref:481195)   #11
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Who's likely to be running Dunlops? Dome, Piper, Lister?

Otherwise they'll have to settle for the bridge. And it can be any car. Or they could go with a more "arty" poster, like the posters in the '50s. That is something I'd like to see.
I think they gave up the 'arty' posters because it was not attractive enough for the 'newbies'...
Old 21 Jan 2003, 17:22 (Ref:481279)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they ought to feature the Spyker. It's much better looking than the Debora.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 20:37 (Ref:481555)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
The editor at dailysportscar informs me that Lister will be on Dunlops...

-Bill James
Old 21 Jan 2003, 21:42 (Ref:481642)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Or they could go with a more "arty" poster, like the posters in the '50s. That is something I'd like to see.

I'm definitely with you there Paul, some of those 40's/50's/60's posters were beautiful.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 16:36 (Ref:482561)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I think they ought to feature the Spyker. It's much better looking than the Debora.
Hahem... this Spyker pleases you a lot, doesn't it ?
Old 22 Jan 2003, 17:17 (Ref:482595)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes! I think it's one of the few cars on the grid that stands out (the Bentley is one of the others.) So it's easier to follow than the endless parade of Porsches and it doesn't burn up like the Ferraris do.

Plus I like their jackets.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 18:20 (Ref:482642)   #17
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I think it's one of the few cars on the grid that stands out (the Bentley is one of the others.) So it's easier to follow than the endless parade of Porsches and it doesn't burn up like the Ferraris do.
Do you think we could expect improved performances from the Spyker in 2003 ? Did they work on it and in which way ? Do they enter one or two cars at LM ? I'd like to see them on the top of the category... BTW, this GT category could be quite different of a Porsche parade this year, with Corvettes, Maranello, Spyker... any news about the Morgan ?

Last edited by Fab; 22 Jan 2003 at 18:20.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 20:33 (Ref:482802)   #18
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Do you think we could expect improved performances from the Spyker in 2003 ? Did they work on it and in which way ? Do they enter one or two cars at LM ? I'd like to see them on the top of the category... BTW, this GT category could be quite different of a Porsche parade this year, with Corvettes, Maranello, Spyker... any news about the Morgan ?

As far as i know there will be one Spyker this Year and of course the Morgan Aero 8.

Cant wait to see this sweet car again.

Source: http://www.project-lemans.de/entry2003.htm

But the Entry List is of course not final yet , so expect some more cars , maybe a second Spyker?!
Old 22 Jan 2003, 22:15 (Ref:482887)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Hmmm. That's a nice list. I feel a spot of good natured plagiarism coming on - and its only January.....
Old 22 Jan 2003, 22:28 (Ref:482902)   #20
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks about right to me, the offical list will be out early March just after Sebring.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 22:31 (Ref:482906)   #21
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Looks about right to me, the offical list will be out early March just after Sebring.
Lets hope they add another Oreca Dalla-MG-XPower-whatever

Only one of this nice car is disapointing for me.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 14:35 (Ref:575634)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
I bet for a Bentley again...

So what does Audi have to do to get respect?

I notice that the Michelin sticker that Bentley had on the nose has been conveniently cut off...

-Bill James
Old 21 Apr 2003, 14:42 (Ref:575637)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
... Obvious joking about whether this car ever ran at Daytona aside, I thought that this was a very nice, evocative poster.

Poor Rolex, really dropped the ball on that one. A potentially great ad, wasted.

-Bill James
Old 21 Apr 2003, 14:54 (Ref:575649)   #24
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Too late to edit...

Just wanted to say, Ker, this looks astonishingly like what you've just posted in the slide film thread in the A&P forum. (Not quite the same, but either you took this one on another pass, or whoever took it was standing about 10 feet from you)

-Bill James
Old 21 Apr 2003, 14:59 (Ref:575654)   #25
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
... Obvious joking about whether this car ever ran at Daytona aside, I thought that this was a very nice, evocative poster.

Poor Rolex, really dropped the ball on that one. A potentially great ad, wasted.
This Daytona poster is very nice, but at which car is it refered to ?