Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:44 (Ref:634302)   #1
tobyone
Rookie

tobyone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans 2003

does anyone have any feed back from there weekend/week spent at Le mans

let me know as it was my first time, ive spoken to various people and the comments range from great through to very poor in relation to the police, security, yobbish brits on the beer, poor spectating areas etc etc

let me know your opinions

mine: well as it was my first time it was everything that i expected, good racing, especially at night, the Mulsanne straight at 3am in the forest next to the armco barrier was just awesome

the food was ok ish on circuit, if chips and bagettes were what you call food? and the beer was cold

the camping was packed, the bikers with their silencers off and fireworks and loud music were just about coped with (ear plugs a must have)

the soaking of open topped sportscars (we were one) on the trip back up the N138 to the ports was funny once but totally intimidating after the 4th or 5th time, and they sounded as though they were english in a few cases!!!!

if i go again it'll be via a saloon not an open topped sports car and in a hotel rather than the camp sites

from other peoples comments the thrill of Le Mans has been diminished and is being erroded away by the yobbish elements
who relish the beer more than the event of sportscar racing

thats a shame as the racing and associated events were superb

regards
Old 17 Jun 2003, 22:01 (Ref:634948)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to the forum! There are some interesting points you raise there. This is my sixth time at Le Mans, and I did think the moron element was much more in evidence this year. Not a nice trend at all. I must say, it was a good reason - if reason were needed, to head out into the wilds of the circuit and enjoy some serious motor racing, without the hooligan element who probably wouldn't be able to find their way to anywhere other than the bar and one of the more obvious campsites.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 22:09 (Ref:634961)   #3
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This was my first time at le mans. I went on a coach tour and had nowhere to camp (sleep on the coach or on a grass bank somewhere), luckily i had the offer of a bunk in a motorhome!

I didn't find the moron element too bad...although was fed up with leering french men by the end of the weekend!

Wish i'd been able to get out to mulsanne straight but by the time people were going out there i was too tired!!

I has a great time but don't think i'd do it that way again. I'd much rather have somewhere to camp and also not travel on a coach as i found that very tiring and that i'd had enough before the race had even started!!!

Looking forward to 2004!