Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 26 Mar 2001, 00:03 (Ref:74451)   #1
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

In my opinion, Tony Stewart was behaving like a complete baby!. First of all, the incident between him and Gordon on the final lap was his fault, Gordon had the line on the inside and was trying to pass Stewart, a perfeclty legitimate move. Then Tony cut down across the track and Jeff hit him. Ok, sucks for Tony but **** happens, it's not the end of the world. But what I really didn't apreceate was what Tony did to Gordon in the pits after the race. That was completely unprofessional of Tony and I hope he gets fined for that because he was being complete baby..
I normally don't have any problems with Tony Stewart but today he acted like a total moron

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 26 Mar 2001 at 00:05.
Old 26 Mar 2001, 00:32 (Ref:74457)   #2
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thin I would've done differently if I as not Stewart was to wait to retliate until Martinsville and make it really hurt Gordon, instead of "harmlessly"(in terms of finishing position) spinning him on pit road. Hey, I'm not saying who had the right to that space, but I love these rivalries, it's what built Nascar. Rubbin is racin

If you want to say TS acted like a moron, that'd inlcude guys like B Allison, R Petty, Yarborough, DW, Earnhardt Sr, and others, cause they have all done it
Old 26 Mar 2001, 06:20 (Ref:74507)   #3
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am sorry to say but Jeff Gordon was clearly the one at fault for the on track incident. Jeff's impatience caused the incident because Tony was taking his normal line going into the corner. In fact, the preferred line going into the corner is drive down on the yellow line which everyone was doing if their car was handling like it should. This is where Jeff was in the wrong. He expected that Tony would slide up high for him just because he a slight run on him. The problem was that Jeff didn't even have a sufficient run on him to force the issue. If you check the replay, you will see that there was no way Tony could or should anticipated Jeff being where he was. Jeff was just getting greedy for a position that wasn't there and should have backed out sooner than he did. I would give Jeff the benefit of the doubt had he gotten the front of his car up to Tony's door but he barely got the front of his car up to Tony's rear wheel.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 26 Mar 2001 at 06:20.
Old 26 Mar 2001, 14:04 (Ref:74555)   #4
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But he was there and Tony Stewart moved down on him. So it is a problem caused by Stewart. Perhaps we will see Gordon use some of the techniques perfected by the late and great mr. Earnhardt.
Old 26 Mar 2001, 14:17 (Ref:74559)   #5
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hans, Tony didn't move down on him on purpose, he just moved down because that was the proper way to enter the corner. Gordon didn't have a enough of a run on him to warrant Tony sliding up and racing him side by side going into the corner. When it came time for Gordon to back out of that situation, it was too late and subsequently there was contact which spun Tony.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 26 Mar 2001 at 14:18.
Old 26 Mar 2001, 14:43 (Ref:74568)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both of them are at fault. Stewart bumped the apron and lost momentum. Gordon gat a little run on him but Stewart drove it in deep. The contact was between Gordon's front fender and Stewart's quarter panel. That is not having the position or controlling the line.

Stewart made a bad mistake by hitting the apron. Gordon made a calculated move and knew that if Stewart came down he would not pay for it and that is what I saw.

Had I been Stewart I might have bumped him in the pits but would have spun him at the next race, especially if he was leading or in the front group.
Old 27 Mar 2001, 13:02 (Ref:74728)   #7
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as a Jeff Gordon fan I would have to say it was Tony´s fault. But I am a race fan too, so I agree with KC, it was both of them fault. Eventhough Stewart had the race line covered, gordon also had almost half a car in there, but neither of them gave an inch, so that had to happen. But what I don´t accept is that nonsense move of #20 in the pitlane, I mean why don´t take the rivalry to martinsville as some of you had said.
Old 28 Mar 2001, 08:12 (Ref:74902)   #8
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, as a more of a NASCAR racing fan, not necessarily a fan of any particular driver, I also have to kind of agree with KC. Both are at fault, yet neither is at fault. It just happened. That's Bristol for ya. It's pretty tight quarters there.

On the other hand, even though I do like Tony Stewart, I do have to say his move in the pits was uncalled for, and that is why he got the fine and probation. He is, after all, well known for being a hot head.

I used to think "rattling someones cage" (to semi-quote the late great Dale Earnhardt) was wrong. But NASCAR didn't think so when he did nearly the same thing to Terry Labonte, also at Bristol in 99 I think. So my feeling is if NASCAR says it's ok, then it obviously doesn't violate the rules of NASCAR racing.

But as Heeltoe6 said, rubbin is racin'. If you blame one driver for doing it, you also have to find fault with quite a few other drivers as well. Like it or not, it is done all the time. And one thing if for sure, if I was out in front of a race for a large sum of money, like Daytona for instance, you can bet your petunia patch I'm gonna protect my position. I would really want that big ol' sack o money and the glory of winning a race like that.
Old 29 Mar 2001, 02:38 (Ref:75166)   #9
knott24
Rookie

knott24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

All you that think jeff was in the wrong need to get a pair of glasses.Tony is lucky he didn't get ran over earlier at that track.Tony can't stand it that he cannot be as good as gordon at driveing a nascar car. Gordon did do everything legal.Tony could not stand that gordon pass him so he had to act like the nondriver he is and pull that stunt at pit road. He is going to get someone killed by throwing his little fits.Tony is a disgrace to joe gibbs and all racefans.Tony needs to go back to indycars where he belongs.Tony makes nascar look bad;Tony better respect jeff because someday soon tony will need a job mowing jeffs yard and it will not be on a riding lawn mower.
Old 29 Mar 2001, 04:25 (Ref:75179)   #10
Raoul Duke
Veteran

I think you maybe misunderstood what I was saying. What happened on the track, was simply one of those racing deals. It wasn't really anybodies fault, maybe Gordon could have been a little more considerate, and maybe Stewart could have realised that someone was attempting to pass him on the inside, but **** happens, that's racing.
What I didn't appreceate was Stewarts move in the pits after the race was over. I thought that was really immature, not to mention dangerous as well. I sure hope that Nascar don't let him get away with it.
Old 29 Mar 2001, 06:05 (Ref:75186)   #11
Joe Fan
Veteran

Jeff tapped Tony's rear bumper in the middle of the previous turn and then clipped his rear fender a bit going into the corner that ended up resulting in contact that spun Tony. How is Tony at fault? It was obvious that Jeff was getting greedy for a position that wasn't there. He couldn't get a sufficient enough run on Tony to force him to drive higher up in the corner. Sorry, but my eye sight is just fine. Jeff needed to get his car further up beside Tony's to warrant forcing the issue. Keep in mind that Jeff got called into the NASCAR hauler a few years ago for ramming Dale Jarrett three times at Loudon on the last lap, all for a third or fourth place position.
Old 29 Mar 2001, 19:11 (Ref:75291)   #12
knott24
Rookie

That is racing next time tony needs to move out of the way if he don't won't to get bump.They called jeff in the trailer just like tony said to make sure jeff didn't have bad feelings.Jeff is not that way he is a true nascar driver he would not pull a stunt like tony did.Witch if you would of watch tony reply you would of know that the only reason they call jeff in there was to make sure jeff didn't have bad feelings.Tony is always thowing is fits and you have to amit to that.Jeff had room he was on the bottom tony came down on him i have the tape do i need to send it to you.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 07:22 (Ref:75391)   #13
Grider
Rookie

Grider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knott24
Number 1:
All you that think jeff was in the wrong need to get a pair of glasses.Tony is lucky he didn't get ran over earlier at that track.Tony can't stand it that he cannot be as good as gordon at driveing a nascar car. Gordon did do everything legal.Tony could not stand that gordon pass him so he had to act like the nondriver he is and pull that stunt at pit road. He is going to get someone killed by throwing his little fits.Tony is a disgrace to joe gibbs and all racefans.Tony needs to go back to indycars where he belongs.Tony makes nascar look bad;Tony better respect jeff because someday soon tony will need a job mowing jeffs yard and it will not be on a riding lawn mower.
Number 2:
That is racing next time tony needs to move out of the way if he don't won't to get bump.They called jeff in the trailer just like tony said to make sure jeff didn't have bad feelings.Jeff is not that way he is a true nascar driver he would not pull a stunt like tony did.Witch if you would of watch tony reply you would of know that the only reason they call jeff in there was to make sure jeff didn't have bad feelings.Tony is always thowing is fits and you have to amit to that.Jeff had room he was on the bottom tony came down on him i have the tape do i need to send it to you.
Point 1:
THEY BOTH ARE IN THE WRONG! Gordon forced the issue when he really did not have the postion, Stewart made a bonehead move, endangering innocent bystanders. My eyesight is fine, you on the other hand might want to check your rose colored glasses at the door. Tony Stewart is a fine driver. He would not be in a Nascar car if he was not. Jeff Gordon is a fine driver as well. They both are agressive and competative drivers. Do not try to put Gordon on a pedistal because you think he is the best thing since sliced bread. They both screwed up, Tony to a large degree than Jeff but they both goofed.

Point 2:
I think you might want to take a look at Nascar's history a bit more before you speak. The agressive tactics and retaliation have been a staple in Nascar for years. They were fighting for a position. Steward is not going to "move out of the way if he don't want to get bump". You do not get respect by giving up a position on the last lap.
Would you expect Gordon to move over if he was about to loose fourth place on the last lap of the race? I seriously doubt it.

Its Bristol, you are going to get hit. Tony should have let the spin go, but he did not and did a stupid thing where he could have hurt an innocent crew member. He got fined for that technical error in judgement. As for Gordon and his "bad feelings", I'm sure they told him that if he retalitated he would get a nice large fine and probation just like what Stewart recieved.

Have a nice day,
Grider

PS: I'm not sure if English is your first language or not, but for the sake of this board I would asume so. The period (.) and space ( ) are used to help other read effecently your thoughts on a subject. If you are going to represent yourself in an on-line forum, a little proofreading might be a good idea. It is the equivalent of making sure that your zipper is in the upright and locked postion before you leave the bathroom. The word "witch", a nown, acording to dictionary.com means 1)A woman popularly believed to have supernatural powers and practice sorcery, and often believed to be aided by spirits or a familiar. 2)A believer or follower of Wicca; a Wiccan. 3)A hag. 4)Informal. A woman or girl considered bewitching. 5)One particularly skilled or competent at one's craft: “A witch of a writer, [she] is capable of developing an intensity that verges on ferocity” (Peter S. Prescott). I think that you really ment to use the word 'which', a pronown. You can look up the definision http://"http://www.dictionary.com/cg...erm=which"here. Just a note for future refrence.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 12:25 (Ref:75424)   #14
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thing that I will say about this incident is that what Stewart did was stupid, and dangerous. Yes, rubbin is racin, but not in the pits. Many a driver has paid another driver back for spinning him, most recent example, the late Dale Earnhardt's (that was hard to type ) spin of Eddie Cheever on the cool down lap of this year's Daytona IROC race. But the big thing is that he did it ON THE TRACK! Stewart, taking his action onto pit road, potentially put crew members, NASCAR officals, and sports media personnel in danger. I first thought that a fine and probation were sufficent, but upon reflection, I think Stewart should be suspended for a month for this childish temper tantrum, and can already tell, by the insincerity of his "admission of guilt" and acknowlegment that he could placed others in danger, that he is not the least bit concerned about the potential concequencies of his actions, and would do the same thing, under the same circumstances, again, without regard for the people in the pits! He's gaffing the whole thing off, and until NASCAR does something to him to really "hurt" him, i.e. reduction of points, suspension for a period of time, his behavion will not change!
Old 30 Mar 2001, 18:03 (Ref:75497)   #15
knott24
Rookie

language

Don't worry about my english! You are a true steward fan,You act just like him, always putting others down and thinking you are perfect.I will put jeff on a pedistal! Jeff took the spot because it was there.That's what you call racing! Not what tony did in the pits,I AGREE THAT TONY WILL DO IT AGAIN.IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY I TALK DON'T TALK TO ME! P.S. I DON'T NEED ROSE COLOR GLASSES!
Old 30 Mar 2001, 19:12 (Ref:75505)   #16
Grider
Rookie

Re: language

Quote:
Don't worry about my english! You are a true steward fan,You act just like him, always putting others down and thinking you are perfect.I will put jeff on a pedistal! Jeff took the spot because it was there.That's what you call racing! Not what tony did in the pits,I AGREE THAT TONY WILL DO IT AGAIN.IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY I TALK DON'T TALK TO ME! P.S. I DON'T NEED ROSE COLOR GLASSES!
I really don't give a rip about any of the drivers. I enjoy the sport without having a "favorite”. I am not always putting others down. I am not perfect, never clamed to be. Your devotion to Jeff Gordon is admirable, but you need to learn how to take constructive criticism with out letting your passion cloud your judgment. I never clamed that what Stewart did was racing; its not. Racing takes place between the green flag and the checkered flag. And you avoid endangering people unnecessarily.

I apologize for making you angrier than you already were. I hope you have a wonderful life. I agree to disagree with you. See, common ground, what a wonderful idea.

Grider
Old 30 Mar 2001, 19:32 (Ref:75511)   #17
knott24
Rookie

gordon

Thanks for saying you were sorry.I love nascar and jeff gordon.I do get to upset when it comes to jeff! I have a hard time when i live in the town where mark m come from and i am a jeff gordon fan.So i am sorry if i said anything that brother you.I can't wait for this weekend race! I can't wait to see how that woman does in the bushrace.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 19:38 (Ref:75512)   #18
Lee
Racer

Grider and Knott24,

Gentlemen,

Speaking as one of the moderators of the NASCAR and ASCAR forum, if you have a dispute, please settle it without yelling, critizing each other's ability to use the English language, etc. We're all grown ups here, and are capable of discussing/debating without loosing tempers. The purpose is to discuss, debate, exchange information, but most of all, to have fun here. Each of you, as well as everybody else, is entitled to his own opinion, and to express it, but please do so without getting "in each other's faces." Enjoy the forums, make friends here, but please, no fights. Thank you.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 19:47 (Ref:75513)   #19
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Well said Lee, there is enoug of that type of pettiness going on in other forums on the net, we don't need that here.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 19:49 (Ref:75515)   #20
Grider
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Grider and Knott24,

Gentlemen,

Speaking as one of the moderators of the NASCAR and ASCAR forum, if you have a dispute, please settle it without yelling, critizing each other's ability to use the English language, etc. We're all grown ups here, and are capable of discussing/debating without loosing tempers. The purpose is to discuss, debate, exchange information, but most of all, to have fun here. Each of you, as well as everybody else, is entitled to his own opinion, and to express it, but please do so without getting "in each other's faces." Enjoy the forums, make friends here, but please, no fights. Thank you.
I think we have settled this "disagreement" already. Thank you for your kind words, but I was trying to help knott to express his feelings better, and he was trying to help me understand his point of view. We are cool now.

Grider
Old 30 Mar 2001, 20:55 (Ref:75539)   #21
knott24
Rookie

Thanks for your concern,But everthing is fine we settle it.By the way i am not a man.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 23:10 (Ref:75586)   #22
Grider
Rookie

Quote:
By the way i am not a man.
Whoops.
The ambiguity of the Net strikes again. My apologies for not correctly guessing your gender.

Grider
Old 31 Mar 2001, 09:17 (Ref:75663)   #23
Joe Fan
Veteran

In case we missed it, I want to welcome aboard any of the new posters. As moderators, Lee and I are happy to have you here even if we don't necessarily agree with your viewpoint from time to time. If everyone thought the same here, this place would be quite boring. So feel free to disagree.

As Lee pointed out earlier, lets try not to get too emotional over these issues to the point where we get personal. Sometimes it is hard to do but we NASCAR fans have had to endure a few tragedies the past year and this should help put some of these things in perspective.
Old 31 Mar 2001, 18:58 (Ref:75767)   #24
knott24
Rookie

THANKS

Thanks for welcome me,Me and my husband are big nascar fans.We enjoy talking to people on the board!Sometimes my husband gets on here and chats.We both are jeff gordon fans.Yes you are right we have had alot of tragedies this year.I am sure glad jeff made it in to the top ten in qualify.I know he has never done good at texas but i hope that changes.Don't worry we have workout everthing,We both just got to emotional.
Old 31 Mar 2001, 20:58 (Ref:75807)   #25
Lee
Racer

I echo Joe Fan's warm welcome Knott24 and Grider and anyone else that is new here, and I have missed. Knott24, sorry about the reference, "gentlemen" last evening. I wish there were some way to know if talking to a male or a female. Unfortunatly the internet does not lend itself to this easily.