Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Jan 2024, 19:20 (Ref:4192008)   #101
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
GerryMo, stop wasting your time here, and get over to the Puzzle page, your help is needed.

La bauble
Is the current penchant for gender self-identity even reaching the Bull household?

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 15 Jan 2024, 20:46 (Ref:4192024)   #102
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
We had one of our own, albeit a diesel bus, that self conflagrated a couple of months ago.
Yes, true that diesel buses catching fire is a (fairly) regular occurrence. Like the one in Melbourne, Sidcup seems to be the place to avoid if you don't want to be on a diesel bus catching fire.

29 Jun 23 a diesel bus caught fire near Queen Mary's Hospital.
7 Jan 24 a diesel bus caught fire on Hurst Road.
Old 16 Jan 2024, 15:44 (Ref:4192085)   #103
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Still in sunny Spain to get away from the UK weather! and we went for a walk up in the hills inland, we often find things like this and wonder why it's left ?
https://youtu.be/DvcJtVjWmqA
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Jan 2024, 14:28 (Ref:4192179)   #104
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Still in sunny Spain to get away from the UK weather! and we went for a walk up in the hills inland, we often find things like this and wonder why it's left ?
https://youtu.be/DvcJtVjWmqA

Does seem something of a waste - looks like the first building was some sort of stable block? I guess people may just have had to move away for work?
Old 17 Jan 2024, 15:08 (Ref:4192185)   #105
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My very uneducated guess is that the property was built illegally on what is known in Spain as "rustic" land, where, in theory, no building is permitted; sort of like green belt land.

My house in Spain was built to my specification, along with one property on one side and two on the other side. The land for the 4 properties had been purchased, legally, by a fairly local family run firm of builders who had been in business for generations and were really nice people. We were all invited to various social events in their homes and one of my neighbours and I were even invited to a family wedding; lovely, genuine people.

However, when all 4 houses were completed and we moved in, the builders were unable to register the properties in Madrid - called an "escritura" same as the deeds in the UK - even though the builders had the correct building permits from the local town hall. Not trusting local lawyers, I got my lawyers from Barcelona to obtain a court order to inspect the paperwork at the town hall, and they discovered that the mayor and one of his side-kicks were issuing building permits for properties on rustic land, but there were no records of the permits in the town hall. I later found out that a developer that I became friendly with also had the same problem just around the corner from my house, but he had about 30 properties with worthless permits. Unfortunately, this is endemic in Spain, and as I've mentioned before, there are/were about a 100,000 properties built without correct permits in the Marbella area.

Being rather wary in the first instance, the contract that I had with the builders included a clause that if the property was not fully registered with all utilities connected in my name by a certain time - in theory, in Spain, you cannot get electric and water contracts until the property is registered in Madrid - then the property would revert to them, and all monies would be returned to me. And that is what happened, which coincided with me having had to return and stay back in the UK. Only good thing about my stay in that house was that the builder picked up the bills for the water, electricity and rates while I lived there, as they did for my neighbours, and that must have cost them a pretty penny.

However, I do still own another piece of land that I had been assured would be classified as being suitable to build on, but to this day nothing has happened with it because it is only suitable to use for a house and nothing else. Se la vie!
Old 18 Jan 2024, 10:23 (Ref:4192269)   #106
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ignition timing setting, HFF. For those having experience with this type of engine, what would you recommend for maximum ignition timing? Using unleaded 98. Thanks for any help.
Old 18 Jan 2024, 12:32 (Ref:4192280)   #107
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I caught a diesel bus the other day, I was flaming mad when I saw the driver lighting up a fag. We had a blazing row and when I told him I would get him fired, he got quite hot under the collar, and his cheeks were burning. He claimed the ciggy had been left by a passenger, but I told him, there is no smoke without fire, at which his face turned ashen ..... Oh! look, its my stop.

Fireman Sam
Old 18 Jan 2024, 12:59 (Ref:4192285)   #108
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I trust you're not attempting to inflame the discussion.
Old 18 Jan 2024, 13:24 (Ref:4192291)   #109
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, I think he is suffering from burn-out...
Old 18 Jan 2024, 14:04 (Ref:4192302)   #110
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Anybody got a bit of spare cash (and space) and fancies restarting the W series?

THE ASSETS FORMERLY OPERATED TO FACILITATE & ENABLE THE FEMALE ONLY RACE SERIES

https://mailchi.mp/wyleshardy.com/ti...0?e=a77091d06e
Old 18 Jan 2024, 14:50 (Ref:4192309)   #111
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
You mean an ol'fag?
Old 18 Jan 2024, 22:48 (Ref:4192382)   #112
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Anybody got a bit of spare cash (and space) and fancies restarting the W series?

We were having dinner with a certain person last night who bought the trucks
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Jan 2024, 23:28 (Ref:4192391)   #113
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
My very uneducated guess is that the property was built illegally on what is known in Spain as "rustic" land, where, in theory, no building is permitted; sort of like green belt land.

Mike we have spoke about illegal building before on 10ths and you could well be right, however I was talking to someone near there that said that it wasn't the case, however he couldn't give me a definitive answer.!
As you well know the local mayors in Spain were ( and probably still are) as bent as a nine bob note !. At one time a lot of them were put in clink after one or two years in the job but had salted their ill gotten gains away to a "friend" and to come out after a short while and live like a king. Near us in Carboneros the Mayor a few years back was a convicted Columbian drug baron !!! and an almost completed hotel on what is classed as green belt land was built ! It's still there after 15/16 years and an eyesore, and nobody knows
what is ever going to happen to it or when it's going to be demolished ! Incidentally this beach and surrounding countryside was used for a lot of the filming of Lawrence of Arabia, and the main props man who built the scenes (Eddie Fowlie) lived and died in Carboneros for years.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hotel Illegal.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	78826
https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-n...be-demolished/

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 18 Jan 2024 at 23:45.
Old 19 Jan 2024, 11:59 (Ref:4192431)   #114
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

Would that include the females? If so I might be interested.
Old 19 Jan 2024, 12:42 (Ref:4192436)   #115
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When this W Series was announced, I and many others struggled with the logic. Pitting women against women wasn't really going to showcase their talents. The possibly unique nature of motorsport is its equality. If you are talented then you will shine. Jamie Chadwick and Helen Florsch to name but two, are exceptionally talented. Both regularly race against male opposition and often win.

So, the issue is not talent, it seems to me there is a massive prejudice within the sport against females. Women only races just don't cut through (to use a popular term).
Old 19 Jan 2024, 13:39 (Ref:4192445)   #116
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had to have a little laugh to myself .
Saw a van with the reg --?? ?? RAT.
I thought , who on earth could live with a No. plate like that , until I saw Pest Control Services on the side .
Old 19 Jan 2024, 13:55 (Ref:4192447)   #117
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
When this W Series was announced, I and many others struggled with the logic. Pitting women against women wasn't really going to showcase their talents. The possibly unique nature of motorsport is its equality. If you are talented then you will shine. Jamie Chadwick and Helen Florsch to name but two, are exceptionally talented. Both regularly race against male opposition and often win.

So, the issue is not talent, it seems to me there is a massive prejudice within the sport against females. Women only races just don't cut through (to use a popular term).
Sophia Flörsch who currently races in F3, herself derided the W series with very public criticism right from the onset saying that it was not the way to help women in motorsport. The series was ill conceived from the start in my view.
Old 19 Jan 2024, 14:01 (Ref:4192448)   #118
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But aren't they starting all over again?

I'm not up to speed on such things but I received a press release from something called 'More than Equal' announcing their driver coaches, Jason King (a man!) & a bird(possibly), can't remember the name.
Old 19 Jan 2024, 14:10 (Ref:4192449)   #119
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, there is something brewing, again David Coulthard is involved. Frankly it just appears to me to be a money making scheme with little or no intent to help female drivers.
Old 19 Jan 2024, 14:39 (Ref:4192455)   #120
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
John, I believe that in France burning buses is an Olympic sport.
Old 19 Jan 2024, 14:55 (Ref:4192458)   #121
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Frankly it just appears to me to be a money making scheme with little or no intent to help female drivers.
Spot on
Old 21 Jan 2024, 11:35 (Ref:4192684)   #122
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes.

And I don't believe there is a problem with sexism in this sport. There are a number of girl racers at karting and quite simply if you're good enough that's it, period. No one serious I know in karting worries about boys beating girls or vice versa, they're all just drivers.

Female drivers have struggled at top level racing not because they're girls but because they've got to the top of their talent level - it happens to all of us.

There's lots of female engineers at all levels including F1, because they're good at what they do. It just proves that in motor sport if you can do the job well you're in, no matter what. There's no need for a "hand up".

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 21 Jan 2024, 12:23 (Ref:4192686)   #123
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
There's no need for a "hand up".
Disgusting!
Old 21 Jan 2024, 12:33 (Ref:4192687)   #124
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One name immediately comes to mind when discussing contemporary female drivers who are or were as good and as fast as any male was, of course, the late Sabine Schmitz. I've always wondered how she would have got on if she had been given the opportunity of a test drive in a F1 car.
Old 21 Jan 2024, 12:56 (Ref:4192689)   #125
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Max makes a good point about female engineers. Her name escapes me right now, but one such lady engineered Audi in the WEC and look how successful they were.