Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 14 Mar 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1251967)   #1
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Selling some photos - need help...

I've had a bit of a problem with a racing circuit over the last few days, which has hopefully been resolved now. It's my fault, they had the impression that I was shooting trackside without a media pass (which I hadn't, I stick to the public bits), and that I was selling photos from the track without the appropriate traders permit (fair enough, although I hadn't actually sold any!).

Anyway, as I said that's been resolved by speaking to the circuit in question, explaining myself, and apologising etc., but it happens that I've been approaced by a manufacturer to take some pictures of their car. I took some at the circuit without a media pass or traders permit, and now they want to pay me for them, to use in press releases etc. What's my position here exactly? Cheers for your help.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1259599)   #2
APS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheshire
APS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your position is pretty straight forward really .... you can supply the teams with your images no problems , bearing in mind they have contacted you !

The law on this subject has a lot of grey areas ( uncovered ) if you like . You have not traded anything on there site i assume ? ;-) ... only perhaps had a general coversation with someone who represents the team .. a general chat if you will ...

What you have to look at is the copyrights issue , the circuits cannot claim ownership of everything that you have taken on the day , just imagine them trying to take the film / cf cards etc etc ... off everybody when they leave the circuit , it just cant happen also as an example if you take a picture of a tree there and happen to sell it to treehuggers.com , the circuit cannot request the money ....

International copyright is a very deep area indeed , what id suggest you do is have a route around the internet and familiarise yourself with the basics , it will really open your eyes as to what you can and cant do ...

having said that while we are all in this for the hobby and to get "that shot" we really must respect what the circuit personel say providing it at least makes scence and they can back it up with the written facts .

regards
Old 23 Mar 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1259686)   #3
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cheers for that, I contacted the circuit involved, and they are happy for me to sell the pictures.