Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Mar 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2840717)   #1
Sparky-steve
Racer

United Kingdom
Sparky-steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to make your own flag set??

My fiancée wants to make herself a light weight set of flags.
now we've done a search and all the threads are years old.
we know the flag sizes so that's ok.
the big question is POLES?
what to use and where to get it. must be very light weight and strong as the flags will be used at Anglesey circuit
dowling from B&Q or is there a better solution?

change of surface flag (Yellow red)
is it correct to use 3 yellow and 2 red stripes?
also how big must the stripes be?
Old 5 Mar 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2840723)   #2
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky-steve View Post
http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/m...t%20Racing.pdf

See Q 15.1 (g) and (h) - "Yellow flag with red stripes" (it doesn't specify how many red stripes or size, and I've certainly seen them with more than 2).

Actually, if you find anywhere to get some good, lightweight flags for a reasonable price, do please post here, as I'd quite like to get a set myself.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 19:30 (Ref:2840736)   #3
ALFA ALFA
Rookie

ALFA ALFA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen the surface flag with both 2 and 3 red stripes. Even a few
with the stripes running up/down or sideways.

You may want to consider aluminum poles. Very light and strong.

Rip-Stop nylon is best for flag material (also light weight and
dry out quickly). Sew in a canvas sleeve to slip over the pole.
Attach to alum pole with pop rivets. Plastic plug in top and
bottom ends. Consider wrapping held end with friction tape for
extra grip. I've seen some with bicycle handle grips as well as
golf club grips. I know Starters who install a ring (similar to one
found on a key chain) in the bottom corner of the flag. They
slip their index finger into the ring to keep control of the flag
and thus don't throw it out on the track when waving.

Good Luck!
Old 5 Mar 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2840740)   #4
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This company supplied Rockingham's flags http://www.zephyr-tvc.com/index.asp
- might be worth dropping them an email.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2840744)   #5
Les Green
Rookie

United Kingdom
Widnes Cheshire
Les Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iv'e just bought a set of six flags from Hampshire Flag Co. for £104. They are on wooden poles but not as heavy as the circuit flags. Five flags were £10 each plus vat but the red/yellow stirpe was about £25 obviously more machining work required in the manufacture. But do ring up to order as the website postage, for some reason, is more expensive than when you ring-in the order. You may find that the cost of suitable material to make your own is very expensive. You can view them on their website,under race marshal flags. They deliver in 3 to 10 days, but I had mine in about 5 days.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 22:25 (Ref:2840793)   #6
Bakersboy
Racer

England
Stoke on Trent
Bakersboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is somebody chasing an upgrade this year?
Old 6 Mar 2011, 00:07 (Ref:2840838)   #7
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got my flags from Demon Tweeks.
they are on lightweight dowel, and nylon.
They do cost a bit - about £10 a flag.

while most of the flags are fairly easy to make, i'd probable just spend the money to get the change of surface flag.

I remember when i started flagging, my compardre had made his White flag out of an old shower curtain. - lightweight, and didnt absorb water
Old 6 Mar 2011, 00:22 (Ref:2840845)   #8
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Green View Post
Iv'e just bought a set of six flags from Hampshire Flag Co. for £104.
That's quite a commitment,on top of all the other expenses
First thing to do is roll them around in the mud/dust for that 'authentic' circuit issue look

....although fellow Marshals forgetting after a few sessions that these are someones personal possesions and throwing them down in haste/trampling over them in the soggy grass and mud/ tapping out a drum beat on the nearest armco-tyrewall,will usually suffice .........
Assuming they get to use them that is

Recommend some form of flag rack/stand btw,a really useful item
Old 6 Mar 2011, 18:28 (Ref:2841098)   #9
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve, you know my flags. They are extremely light, and are now about twenty years old, so could be called durable. They are made from nylon, bought cheaply from my then local market. I believe it was curtain liner, although who wants to line curtains with some of those colours I'll never know! If you want rip stop nylon, which is heavier and I find a bit less flexible to handle, I may be able to get you some offcuts from a local balloon manfacturer. I know they used to sell it a couple of years ago.

The poles are half inch (sorry, I don't do foreign metric thingies) dowel, available from any DIY store. I've used yacht varnish to protect it from the elements, again available cheaply from DIY stores.

You can simply staple the flag to the pole, which makes it easy to take off to wash.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2841109)   #10
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My own set are very light weight, made out of nylon material & dowelling handles. Tied onto handles rather than stapled as easier & less damaging to take off for washing. To keep flags clean when at circuit have my own holder for them so not laid on tyres barriers/ground/mud etc. Got two different types of holder - one to go on barriers, one which can be attached to catch fencing. Usually found flagging on carlube at Knockhill or regularily at Croft
Old 6 Mar 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2841122)   #11
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame West View Post
To keep flags clean when at circuit have my own holder for them so not laid on tyres barriers/ground/mud etc. Got two different types of holder - one to go on barriers, one which can be attached to catch fencing. Usually found flagging on carlube at Knockhill or regularily at Croft
Did you make the holder, or buy it... and can you send a photo?
Old 6 Mar 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2841174)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I got 6 superb flags for £35 - dowling pole for about £7
Never let me down!
Old 6 Mar 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2841175)   #13
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
I got 6 superb flags for £35 - dowling pole for about £7
Never let me down!
Where did you get them from and how long ago?
Old 6 Mar 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2841180)   #14
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Got them from my Chief Flag Marshal..........in 1995 lol
Old 6 Mar 2011, 23:48 (Ref:2841215)   #15
Sparky-steve
Racer

United Kingdom
Sparky-steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
This company supplied Rockingham's flags http://www.zephyr-tvc.com/index.asp
- might be worth dropping them an email.
already got the material, and in production..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakersboy View Post
Is somebody chasing an upgrade this year?
why you say that mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle View Post

while most of the flags are fairly easy to make, i'd probable just spend the money to get the change of surface flag.

I remember when i started flagging, my compardre had made his White flag out of an old shower curtain. - lightweight, and didnt absorb water
mmmmm Demon Tweeks well yeah a set would cost £165
where as Andrea is making her own and the cost is about £35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
Steve, you know my flags. They are extremely light, and are now about twenty years old, so could be called durable. They are made from nylon, bought cheaply from my then local market. I believe it was curtain liner, although who wants to line curtains with some of those colours I'll never know! If you want rip stop nylon, which is heavier and I find a bit less flexible to handle, I may be able to get you some offcuts from a local balloon manfacturer. I know they used to sell it a couple of years ago.

The poles are half inch (sorry, I don't do foreign metric thingies) dowel, available from any DIY store. I've used yacht varnish to protect it from the elements, again available cheaply from DIY stores.

You can simply staple the flag to the pole, which makes it easy to take off to wash.
it's Andrea who's making the flags as she wants to do alot more flag this year and finds circuit flags very heavy.
i'll just be going for my flag assessment for green badge then staying on the bank.

we just wanted to make sure the 1/2" or 15mm pole would be strong enough to cope with the Anglesey winds

many thanks all for your input, flags will be finished by saturday so see you all there for Oultons first meet this year
Old 7 Mar 2011, 09:09 (Ref:2841348)   #16
orange army
Rookie

England
wirral
orange army should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I work for a flag supplier who supply's Oulton park, Anglesey, Snetterton and loads more circuits, and could get a bit of discount for fellow marshals.

contact me by PM for details

Last edited by MagnetON; 7 Mar 2011 at 12:00. Reason: Not wise to include phone numbers or e-mail details.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 10:54 (Ref:2841407)   #17
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The Blue Book shows three yellow & two red, so it must be OK! However, having had experience of such flags at Mallory, I'd say more stripes are desirable - as Andrea's flags will, I assume, be used mostly at Oulton & Anglesey it would probably be better to match what's already in use.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2841450)   #18
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
The Blue Book shows three yellow & two red, so it must be OK! However, having had experience of such flags at Mallory, I'd say more stripes are desirable - as Andrea's flags will, I assume, be used mostly at Oulton & Anglesey it would probably be better to match what's already in use.
Too many stripes and the colours tend to merge together when see from a distance. There was one such flag at Oulton that had about a dozen of each colour - from a distance it either looked like a faded red or a dirty yellow flag depending on the light. Also too many stripes mean much more fabric overlap and hence stitching and make the flag much too heavy and also make theme much more difficult to wave owing to wind resistance.

Two or three red stripes on a yellow flag is the ideal. Especially if you can engineer the flag to have no stitching!

Best material is man-made sari silk - light, does not get heavy when wet, dries quickly and 'flies' really well - only problem I found was that certain fellow flaggies seemed to get turned on by the feel!
Old 7 Mar 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2841600)   #19
socko
Rookie

England
socko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for poles if you approach your local fishing tackle shop I know some throw away the butt end after reapairs are usually the top 2 pieces,so usually can be picked up free or for very little money they are light with a nice grip.

Also the poles form a dome tent are very light carbon/fibreglass
Old 7 Mar 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2841607)   #20
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle View Post

I also got mine from Demon Tweeks - managed to get a bit of a dicount as well
Having said that I've had my flags for years!!
Old 7 Mar 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2841694)   #21
Aardvaark
Rookie

England
Timperley, Altrincham
Aardvaark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or do what I did - win an MSA "competition" - wasn't very difficult - name and address on a postcard and send in - guess no one else entered because I won. Flags made in Holland, aluminium shafts and very light (don't ask me what) fabric. Full international size, three - yes THREE yellows, two reds plus the usual assorted colours - 10 in all - and a rather fetching purple one with a white cross and "50" in the middle. Those on post with me at Oulton are (very occasionally!!) permitted to agitate them - but only gently of course!
Old 7 Mar 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2841827)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm, dutch flags and a preponderence of yellow. Perhaps you need to change your handle to Aadvocaat?
Old 7 Mar 2011, 23:41 (Ref:2841861)   #23
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

mmmmm Demon Tweeks well yeah a set would cost £165
where as Andrea is making her own and the cost is about £35

But it made a very good christmas present - i got a flag each from my folks, and sister, and from the wife's parents and her brother.

and no socks for once!
Old 8 Mar 2011, 00:00 (Ref:2841868)   #24
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvaark View Post
Flags made in Holland, aluminium shafts and very light (don't ask me what) fabric.
Ahh, I think I was on post with you at Oulton a couple of years ago. Those flags were brilliant!- best flags I ever used. I definitely want a set of them
Old 8 Mar 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2842262)   #25
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I made my first set of flags while watching the 1992 Election results - sad or what?

I used some showerproof material that was really light weight but then got told that the yellow was too "green", so switched to sari fabric for the yellows. Following year they introduced "fluorescent yellow" flags so I was a year ahead of the MSA!!!!

Oil (whatever you want to call it) flag was made with the original material and when first shown was even remarked on by the commentator - it was that bright!

Now on my second set of flags which we bought, but don't ask where from.

All my flags have been on half-inch dowling which I prefer. Just remember to get the length of the pole correct. You don't want it so long that it gets wrapped up in your elbow as you wave the flag. Balance is also important.

And I will forgive Ramsay Inglis who, back in the 90's, refused to use my flags on the basis that they were "girlie" and he would break them!!!!! Size isn't everything!