Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Jun 2003, 21:31 (Ref:640757)   #1
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Job for AJ

Seems my old mate AJ is one step away being declared bankrupt. He lost his gig with channel 9, and a couple of bad business decisions have left him in dire straights.
C'mon 10, give him a job with Crompton.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 22:40 (Ref:640839)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think so too, if you beat the attitude out of him a little AJ would be quite good
Old 23 Jun 2003, 22:43 (Ref:640842)   #3
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Aussie Icon looks like biting the dust, what do we do to our tall poppies. How do we help. I met AJ only once a nice guy from my experience.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 23:08 (Ref:640865)   #4
zonda
Rookie

zonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TheGSpot,
you must be the one i've heard about. The one that AJ was nice to...

Now thats a little mean. Hell he's won a world championship which is better everyone except one other Australian

dave
Old 23 Jun 2003, 23:53 (Ref:640896)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Situation isn't good, in the paper they said he has 4.1 million in debts and 2.2 million in assets and an income of $50K p.a. That doesn't add up to a rosy future.

The paper said he was juggling the lot and trying to find a way to pay everyone back, before his accountant told him that would be impossible, so he's put the creditors on hold to work out a solution.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 00:12 (Ref:640905)   #6
RRR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
RRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad luck AJ.
I'm not sure about AJ joining the Network 10 team though. They seem to have a nice combo there at the moment. We already have one expert commentator. Two experts may be too much. And Bill Woods does a good job as the anchor man. I don't see any reason to change the formula ...
However, I hope someone finds something for AJ. Surely there's a couple of jobs out there in Australia that only an ex-1980 Formula One World Cahmpion can do???
Old 24 Jun 2003, 00:13 (Ref:640907)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Needs to send the boys around to see a certain charity front man methinks and they can hav a discussion as to repayment methods.....

What's a kidney worth on the open market these days? $4.1m?
Old 24 Jun 2003, 00:52 (Ref:640925)   #8
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic

What's a kidney worth on the open market these days? $4.1m?
A lot less according to one of Toyota's finest motorshow salesmen. This sales dynamo offered to put into perspective the price of a brand new Camry "Grande"; mentioning that the $50k mobile whitegood was worth "about the same a kidney".

I wonder if he still has a job?
Old 24 Jun 2003, 01:20 (Ref:640935)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I dont think the person in question has 82 kidneys to 'donate'
Old 24 Jun 2003, 01:50 (Ref:640944)   #10
TheGspot
Racer

Guys we are doing it again, talking down those that have made our country proud, world championships for Australians are few and far between, I will donate the first 500 to the save AJ fund. Will we be here doing this again if the DJR thing goes turkey as some seem to think it might. Lets support our icons with worlds of adulation not the tall poppy outlook. Good Luck AJ
Old 24 Jun 2003, 01:53 (Ref:640945)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
What DJR thing?? Briggs is the one in the top of the gurgler spiral at the moment!

And we arent talking AJ down, he had a business partner who some who had previous dealings had described as a person who they wouldnt urinate on if they were on fire....
Old 24 Jun 2003, 02:00 (Ref:640949)   #12
TheGspot
Racer

my misunderstanding. I read a story somewhere that it is not only Briggs under the pump in the current recession.
Word from within his major sponsor is that a lot of the Austarlian Motorsport money allocated needs to go offshore to another red team.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 02:53 (Ref:640989)   #13
Joe5619
Veteran

Joe5619 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much does Colin Bond get paid.... Replace Bond with AJ I say... Surely AJ can't f*&$ it up as much at Colin has!!!!
Old 24 Jun 2003, 03:06 (Ref:641000)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I would suggest GSpot oif DJR dont pick up their results then one of the major sponsors will be looking for a new home

The last time the problem was in place, Shell did a deal with the Winfield Nissan boys, on the back of the Nissan plant oil and fuel supply, and somehow this motivation, and an internal reorganisation (Thanks to the basis of SBR) fixed what ailed them!

And Joe, I doubt AJ would want to get his hands dirty with such a meanial job
Old 24 Jun 2003, 04:36 (Ref:641034)   #15
TheGspot
Racer

GTR, The basis of what I think I know came from what I consider a reputable source. I personally would hate to see another icon loose their stripes and cede into the vastness of the night. The internal reconstruction is in place is it not with the man himself indentifying that in the modern world of motorsport and business you cant be good at both,(been there) and putting an expert at the helm. Its a ROCKY road to the top.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 04:48 (Ref:641038)   #16
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, now I'm curious, is DJR or Briggs on the ROCKY road to recovery?
Old 24 Jun 2003, 05:11 (Ref:641046)   #17
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
theGspot - sorry but isn't it a case of 'made your bed, now you have to lie in it?'

AJ has had years to sort out his financial problems as well as it being many many many years since he was world champion. If he, or his accountants, hadn't realised some time ago he was living well beyond his means then - sorry, whether he is an Australian or not - he deserves to go down.

Or are we supposed to prop up bad businessmen simply because they are Australians?
Old 24 Jun 2003, 05:31 (Ref:641054)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
We did it with Alan Bond, provider of the 1983 America's Cup win... I still have the share certificates for Bond Corp at home somewhere, more valuable as birdcage linigs these days
Old 24 Jun 2003, 05:43 (Ref:641063)   #19
TheGspot
Racer

Bondy and the 80's Rouges are a different story, is it not fact that they deliberately set out to dishonourably use the funds in their trust. Hence the jail time.
I also have a share certificate from Bond Corp and also Quintex. So far AJ is their light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 07:37 (Ref:641134)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Note to self, don't ask Gspot to provide investment advice.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 07:39 (Ref:641136)   #21
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Alan Jones finaical problems steam from his divorce to now ex wife Beverly a few years ago. Apparently it was a very nasty divorce in all ways
Old 24 Jun 2003, 09:56 (Ref:641209)   #22
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TheGspot
Bondy and the 80's Rouges are a different story, is it not fact that they deliberately set out to dishonourably use the funds in their trust. Hence the jail time.
I also have a share certificate from Bond Corp and also Quintex. So far AJ is their light at the end of the tunnel.
Gspot, do you have Ansett & Compass shares as well.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 10:56 (Ref:641268)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still think Craig Bastian was on a winner with sponsors like Onetel and FAI...
Old 24 Jun 2003, 11:28 (Ref:641315)   #24
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at least Garry Cooper and Elfin got in early with Ansett...
Old 24 Jun 2003, 11:40 (Ref:641333)   #25
Barrie Worth
Rookie

Barrie Worth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Patterson Good point
Jetsetter, no ansett shares but I now do employ one of their executive staff, there demise has been good in that regard for me LOL