Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Sep 2020, 16:32 (Ref:4000964)   #226
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’m not sure Mercedes or Lewis are making excuses, not in a bad way anyway. They are saying how they saw it, or rather didn’t , but they are accepting of the error.

There is not much more to make of that. We don’t have to make out that the organizers messed up or that it is a really bad thing Mercedes have done or they are OTT with their excuses.

The organisers put the markers out by the usual place you know to look for track side information. On the outside of corners is normal. They highlighted these positions before the race. They are sensible places, unlike on the pit lane entry, which is too late.

Lewis missed them, which isn’t good, but understandable. The team missed two pieces of information. They had less time to react compared to others so also understandable, but not good. Ultimately it is the driver’s responsibility to adhere to on track instructions from marshals posts.

Neither of these things will prove there is something fundamentally wrong with someone else, or that we are so so clever for noticing.

But I am encouraged that we have a lot of users on here that have never made an excuse for anything they did slightly wrong

Now there was a quote somewhere which sums it up. Where was it, oh it is here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Happens.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 19:00 (Ref:4000994)   #227
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It was a bad mistake and one that they should learn from. At least they can admit to it, no team is perfect

At the end of the day is a miscommunication that had severe consequences. Sometimes hindsight is a wonderful thing. Let’s remember this team often gets it right, so it’s a bit of a shock when they mess things up

It just shows how different fortunes can alter in an instance. It’s easy to be critical from the outside. But, hey at least it gave us a different result for once
Old 8 Sep 2020, 20:12 (Ref:4001016)   #228
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
The bias/filter thing has gone meta: we now have posters seeing every post through the filter of assuming other posters have a pro/anti-X filter .
Old 8 Sep 2020, 20:24 (Ref:4001024)   #229
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
The bias/filter thing has gone meta: we now have posters seeing every post through the filter of assuming other posters have a pro/anti-X filter .
Typical Verstappen fan
Old 9 Sep 2020, 08:37 (Ref:4001074)   #230
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Seems to be the way of the world at the moment - everything is one extreme or the other, there doesn't seem to ba any middle ground.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 11:12 (Ref:4001097)   #231
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
The hamilton debate seems to be whether he handled it perfectly with class and grace, or whether he handled it with excuses initially then owned up to it.

Neither seems to be harsh to hamilton, yet still gets the hamilton defense team up in arms. Locations check out as usual

I cant believe the commentators missed a pretty cool story line: in a year when ferrari was miserable, and the Italian fans or "tifosi" or whatever had little to be happy about, their newly signed driver put on a show and finished second. That's pretty cool and would have been neat to see the fans cheering for him as one of their own during the podium celebration.

Awesome for gasly, he's really showing up albon now. But they shouldn't rush to put him back in red bull and throw him to the verstappen wolves.

Am I the only one that thought a double dnf was better for ferrari than finishing 12th and 13th? More embarrassing passing by at the back of the grid every lap, imo. This way they could always pull a hamilton (just kidding guys, settle down) and make excuses as if they could have been competitive if not for the dnf, haha.

I'm all for the reverse grid qualifying races with half points awarded. Sounds like a fun time.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 12:39 (Ref:4001109)   #232
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Lewis' radio comms following his pit lane entry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMDAV7jX4Vg
Old 9 Sep 2020, 13:16 (Ref:4001111)   #233
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
The hamilton debate seems to be whether he handled it perfectly with class and grace, or whether he handled it with excuses initially then owned up to it.

Neither seems to be harsh to hamilton, yet still gets the hamilton defense team up in arms. Locations check out as usual
No, just struggling to see where he made an excuse, then owned up to it later?

Even in the audio above Lewis wasn't making an excuse. he said he didnt see a light on pit entry (because there wasnt one) and that he didnt see the lights on the outside of the corner because he was looking at the incident..

Location has nothing to do with it, people can support drivers from other countries.

Lewis defence team? ive not seen one, and just in case youre referring to me, then i suggest you check my other posts stating that Lewis made a mistake and deserved the penalty.

This has nothing to do with filters, bias, extreme opinions in one direction or the other etc etc etc....

People have made comments that he made excuses initially, said they were incredulous that they did, im just trying to understand at what point.....because so far i've not seen or heard any comments from Lewis to support that.

Anyway, said my bit. probably time to move on. I suspect Mercedes did that a few days ago already.

Last edited by ascarracinguk; 9 Sep 2020 at 13:33.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 13:56 (Ref:4001124)   #234
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
No, just struggling to see where he made an excuse, then owned up to it later?
I freely admit I am not helping this topic die, but I am entirely gobsmacked here.

Quote:
Even in the audio above Lewis wasn't making an excuse. he said he didnt see a light on pit entry (because there wasnt one) and that he didnt see the lights on the outside of the corner because he was looking at the incident..
What you just typed above as quotes from Hamilton "are" the excuses you claim do not exist. Let me spell it out.

"Didn't see light on pit entry".

Excuse is that there should have been one as that is where you are supposed to find one. However location of lights was not a secret and not really particularly controversial. "Why" they are located where they are has been beaten to death.

"didnt see the lights on the outside of the corner because he was looking at the incident."

Basically same excuse as above which is the light was in the wrong position. But if you watch the video his statement doesn't hold water as the light panels would have been directly in his field of view. Of which he later owns up by simply saying it was his fault.

I am going to stop posting on this topic as we are beating a dead horse. As the saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink." Please don't take this as a personal attack as I am trying to find ways to comment on your posts and not you. But you are willfully blind to these "minor" criticisms because you are clearly a big Hamilton fan. In the grand scheme of things this is small, but you have chosen to die on this hill.

To be clear, why this type of thing triggers me is that I am fine with subjective disagreements. But disagreeing on objective facts drives me nuts! I have no beef with Hamilton at all. This topic could be for any other driver and I would be just as obstinate. But more posting is not going to resolve this I am sure.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 9 Sep 2020 at 14:01.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:04 (Ref:4001125)   #235
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I freely admit I am not helping this topic die, but I am entirely gobsmacked here.

What you just typed above as quotes from Hamilton "are" the excuses you claim do not exist. Let me spell it out.

"Didn't see light on pit entry".

Excuse is that there should have been one as that is where you are supposed to find one. However location of lights was not a secret and not really particularly controversial. "Why" they are located where they are has been beaten to death.

"didnt see the lights on the outside of the corner because he was looking at the incident."

Basically same excuse as above which is the light was in the wrong position. But if you watch the video his statement doesn't hold water as the light panels would have been directly in his field of view. Of which he later owns up by simply saying it was his fault.

I am going to stop posting on this topic as we are beating a dead horse. As the saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink." Please don't take this as a personal attack as I am trying to find ways to comment on your posts and not you. But you are willfully blind to these "minor" criticisms because you are clearly a big Hamilton fan. In the grand scheme of things this is small, but you have chosen to die on this hill.

Richard

No, im not willfully blind, and no im not a big hamilton fan, again check my other posts, ive criticised him quite often, but when i dont see an issue then i will speak my mind.

again, stating he didnt see a light (because there wasnt one) and that he didnt see lights on the left hand side of the circuit (because he was looking at the incident) is not making an excuse, its making a statment, he is giving feedback to his team, not making an excuse for his actions.

the fact that you automatically assume someone is a massive hamilton fan, because they see something from a different point of view than yourself speaks volumes.

As someone said above, filters.....i have been completely factual, there are recordings above of hamiltons own words, so there is no bias, you can listen to his own words...but you seem to have a bias and are twisting and or interpreting his words which are made as statements into an excuse and adding to them.

If hamilton had come over the radio in a mood, shouting that there should have been lights on the entrance, or that the light panels should be in my eye line...its the circuits fault they are not, then thats an excuse....and id agree with you. But he didnt.

Yes he admitted to the mistake afterwards....but youd complain if he didnt, right?...and even then he didnt make an excuse..he just said it was his fault.

I suggest you should listen to the latest Mercedes debrief. (and that doesnt mean im a mercedes fan....just watch video from mutiple sources....before you think im a mercedes fan boy too)

Last edited by ascarracinguk; 9 Sep 2020 at 14:09.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:12 (Ref:4001127)   #236
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anyway, what about Ferrari...
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:18 (Ref:4001129)   #237
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Full of excuses for their failure other than the obvious one :-p
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:19 (Ref:4001130)   #238
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It seems a shame that when anyone expresses an opinion in support of a driver, they get labelled a fanboy. Or alternatively they get labelled a hater if they say something critical. I always used to think that this forum was better than that.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:24 (Ref:4001131)   #239
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Lewis' radio comms following his pit lane entry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMDAV7jX4Vg
Interesting.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:25 (Ref:4001132)   #240
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
They aren't doing too well.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:26 (Ref:4001134)   #241
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
But more posting is not going to resolve this I am sure.
Hallelujah! Hasn't this been done to death yet?

It's getting pretty boring, for sure.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:27 (Ref:4001135)   #242
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No, im not willfully blind, and no im not a big hamilton fan, again check my other posts, ive criticised him quite often, but when i dont see an issue then i will speak my mind.
My opinion regarding your allegiances is purely based upon seeing your posts of a long period of time. If Hamilton is mentions in a negative light, you are frequently on the scene to provide contrary position. There is nothing wrong with that. But claiming this is not true makes no sense. Just look at this thread!

I spent a few minutes scanning through a few pages of your posts and I can't find any that fit your criteria of being critical of Hamilton (or even Mercedes). Generally you are pro Mercedes/Hamilton and negative towards others. Again, nothing wrong with that. But if you want to use prior critical posts as evidence of not being pro Hamilton, please provide examples vs. asking me to search for it.

Quote:
the fact that you automatically assume someone is a massive hamilton fan, because they see something from a different point of view than yourself speaks volumes.
I have no problem with different points of view. That is what this forum is about. Also note, I didn't use the word "massive" (not even sure how to rank levels of fandom anyhow). Please be more specific on what you think I am saying in "volumes". No need to hint or be murky.

Richard
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:28 (Ref:4001136)   #243
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Hallelujah! Hasn't this been done to death yet?

It's getting pretty boring, for sure.
My apologies. I will let ascarracinguk get the last word. I am done with this topic.

Richard
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:37 (Ref:4001138)   #244
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
My apologies. I will let ascarracinguk get the last word. I am done with this topic.

Richard
As you said in an earlier post.....you don’t get the irony of your comment do you :-p

Of course there is also irony in me posting about your irony :-p
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:45 (Ref:4001140)   #245
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Get a room guys
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:53 (Ref:4001145)   #246
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not a mod here, but if I was, I'd be tempted to close this thread for a day or two until we can find something else to talk about...
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:58 (Ref:4001147)   #247
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not a mod here, but if I was, I'd be tempted to close this thread for a day or two until we can find something else to talk about...
eye spy with my little eye, something beginning with...
Old 9 Sep 2020, 14:58 (Ref:4001148)   #248
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I am a mod but my powers are limited to the IndyCar forum only, otherwise I would do just that.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 15:01 (Ref:4001150)   #249
Richard C
Veteran

No need to close it. Topic is closed on my end.

Richard
Old 9 Sep 2020, 15:09 (Ref:4001153)   #250
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been guilty of it myself already in this thread, but there is a difference between excuse as a verb and a noun.

As a noun, it is an explanation or justification for something. Nothing negative about it, although many see it as negative. To provide an excuse can be to accept blame as well.

As a verb, it is used to remove blame.

In the example from LH, he has provided an excuse in which he accepted blame. He hasn't attempted to excuse himself from blame.

Using the same word as a verb and noun seems to be the cause of disagreement here. Maybe we should accept the excuse from LH, excuse each other and move on?