Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 May 2004, 15:56 (Ref:961623)   #1
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aston Martin a GT/N-GT Car!!!

well DSC interviewed an aston martin exec. and he said that the prodrive aston martin will not be a gts car!!! well, as much as i love to see someone take the fight to the porkas, a gts aston martim would have been a lot cooler...
Old 5 May 2004, 16:09 (Ref:961637)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm just glad to see Aston Martin back...period....regardless of class...

But GTS would have been nice, wouldn't it????

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 May 2004, 16:18 (Ref:961649)   #3
class4v
Racer

class4v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were talking about GTS ( more supercars) in 2001. But Ford MC didn't want the project to go on.
Old 5 May 2004, 17:12 (Ref:961687)   #4
tblincoe
Veteran

i guess that for the forseeable future its going to be 550 vs. 575 vs. saleen vs. lambo vs. maserati vs. mosler? vs. corvette in the gts class at lemans/lmes/alms and 550 vs. 575 vs. saleen vs. lambo vs. maserati vs. lister in fia gt... not too bad i guess
Old 5 May 2004, 18:12 (Ref:961768)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shows the impact of the MC12 doesn't it.

Also kills the idea of an FIA GT World Championship stone dead, if the reduced fields this year weren't enough.

The first car is ACO spec also, and the team could race anywhere, LMES, ALMS, FIA GT. Nothings set in stone.

I'm just glad there will be an alternative to the 911 and 360 for customer GT teams.

Last edited by JAG; 5 May 2004 at 18:13.
Old 5 May 2004, 18:16 (Ref:961772)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GT or GTS doesn't bother me, it just great to see the Aston Martin name back on race track.
Old 5 May 2004, 18:19 (Ref:961776)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The GTS field is pretty crowded with regard to customer GTS cars. This way we will see lots of DB9s competing in GT, rather than 1 or 2 in GTS.
Old 5 May 2004, 18:42 (Ref:961801)   #8
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Wout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But if you want to win races in FIA GT you need a GT and not a N-GT (ok, except for Spa 24h 2003). I think thats the reason why more and more teams in FIA GT chose for GT cars. After all winning a race is better than winning in a class of a race. For Le Mans/LMES/ALMS its less important. To win the GTS class or the GT class is about the same.

I was hoping that the Aston Martin would be a LM GTS/FIA GT car. To compete with the "big boys". But more important is the fact that they are there.
Old 5 May 2004, 18:53 (Ref:961809)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
FIA GT may not be the focus anymore.
Old 5 May 2004, 19:09 (Ref:961826)   #10
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Shows the impact of the MC12 doesn't it.
I'm not so sure that it does on this occassion. Aston have been talking about going into the lower category for some time, although I must admit that I was hoping for a full-blown GT(S) car. Astons really should be in the bigger class, but it is good to see them back at all.
Old 5 May 2004, 19:16 (Ref:961833)   #11
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would Prodrive want to compete with their 550? Well I guess if Aston paid them enough. Maybe that was part of the deal, prodrive insisted the Aston doesn't compete with the GTS car they turned out so well.
Old 5 May 2004, 19:24 (Ref:961848)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
It was intended for GTS but Aston were concerned about the potential pace of the supercars against conventional GTS cars.
Old 5 May 2004, 19:50 (Ref:961870)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess this means no ALMS GT Mustang?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 5 May 2004, 21:30 (Ref:961978)   #14
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
FIA GT may not be the focus anymore.
FIA GT is NOT the focus
Old 5 May 2004, 21:48 (Ref:962004)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
FIA GT is NOT the focus
LM, LMES, ALMS.

When the car (GTS) was originally announced wsn't FIA GT the focus. Ratel was talking as though it was set in stone a few months back:confused:
Old 6 May 2004, 05:08 (Ref:962206)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Even if they start in GT/N-GT, we could expect more developpements by private teams later ; the Maranellos are in at LM for the GTS/GT and GT/N-GT (XL Racing last year).

Nevermind : Aston is back !
Old 6 May 2004, 06:30 (Ref:962226)   #17
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Even if they start in GT/N-GT, we could expect more developpements by private teams later ; the Maranellos are in at LM for the GTS/GT and GT/N-GT (XL Racing last year).

Nevermind : Aston is back !
But if FIA GT is not the focus, will there be customer cars at all? If you want to sell your race car/see your cars on the track, why would you only focus on LM(series)?
Old 6 May 2004, 07:25 (Ref:962247)   #18
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wout
But if FIA GT is not the focus, will there be customer cars at all? If you want to sell your race car/see your cars on the track, why would you only focus on LM(series)?
LM, ALMS, LMES, that's already something... and don't forget the national series (including the FFSA-GT, to say one thing... first one to welcome the Pagani)...
Old 6 May 2004, 07:31 (Ref:962248)   #19
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
GT or GTS, ACO or FIA, I will be an big fan (or should I say, I am already a big fan) of this fantastic looking car.
Old 6 May 2004, 17:14 (Ref:962717)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DSC now carrying a correction - it is indeed GTS (GT), not GT (N-GT). Seems that even though they tried to get it right, there was a crossed wire.

Who's going to run them in North America?

And now I can wonder about Mustang GT again...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 May 2004, 17:28 (Ref:962725)   #21
tblincoe
Veteran

just saw the correction... thank god!
Old 6 May 2004, 18:04 (Ref:962760)   #22
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Wow, that's a relief! This car simply SHOULD be a GTS. Competing with Ferrari, Maserati and Lamborgini. Thats where it belongs..
Old 6 May 2004, 20:12 (Ref:962848)   #23
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
It seems that its not only the fans that can get confused by the various classifications, the manufacturers can be too!
Old 7 May 2004, 05:01 (Ref:963086)   #24
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
BTW, where stand the differences between GTS and FIA-GT rules ? What justifies the difference of name ?
Old 7 May 2004, 06:38 (Ref:963114)   #25
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
It seems that its not only the fans that can get confused by the various classifications, the manufacturers can be too!
It certainly looks like it. "where the Porsches race"... - hello? AM will be in for a disappointment when the Porsches don't turn up.

............or maybe they know something about Porsche's GTS plans??