Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 1 Feb 2013, 14:04 (Ref:3197131)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren 50 - Courage

http://youtu.be/23E1m8ZxFmU

Not sure how I feel about this video. On one hand, its shot beautifully, and the words are powerful and emotive. Yet part of me things its morbid to make it, though I can't put my finger on why, other than Bruce isn't around to see it and you can't be certain that the words correlated to his thoughts.

Opinions?
Old 1 Feb 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3197274)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Watched it "live" yesterday as part of this years McLaren launch, and thought a slightly strange form of tribute.

No mistaking the beautiful cinematography, the sense feeling "of that moment"

But yeah, the script was powerful, emotive, but was read out in the first party when tragically it couldn't possibly be.

Had it been written for a third party voice-over, would it have been as emotive... With the correct person's voice it might have come close, but without hearing others try it, it's difficult to say.

Regardless of the narration, it's still a hell of a piece, that I'd imagine ran a shudder down the spine of every McLaren employee.
Old 1 Feb 2013, 14:37 (Ref:3197280)   #3
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
My laptop kept stopping at 43 secs, but I saw enough to get the gist. The actor they chose was uncannily similar in build/hair etc.

I found it uncomfortable TBH. I would rather have heard just a voiceover whilst showing the evolution of the cars.
Old 1 Feb 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3197621)   #4
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I loved it, every second of it, whist sad to watch knowing how it ends, it's actually describing the beginning and the birth of the Mclaren legacy.

I thought the voiceover was perfect, first describing his passion for racing, then onto how as a driver he knew how to modify the car to improve it and lastly describing his last moments followed by his epitaph. I think there are enough people around to corroborate the narrative.

Mclaren cannot forget their roots and Bruce's desire to be the best is what underpins the whole company.

The music throughout was awesome and very well chosen (Hans Zimmer - The Village)

This is the first of 3 short films that celebrate the 50 years of Mclaren, the scene is perfectly set for part 2 in my opinion
Old 1 Feb 2013, 22:15 (Ref:3197709)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was unsure too at first but Ron and the McLaren family must have seen it and said yes.

The more I watch it, the more I get it. Bruce was a hero, McLaren the legend.
Old 2 Feb 2013, 03:23 (Ref:3197901)   #6
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I loved it. I was a huge "Bruce & Denny Show" fan of the original Can-Am series. My first race was the '69 Mid-Ohio Can-Am race in the high wing M8B's. I saw Peter Revson at Indy in a M16. I always read Eoin Young's column in Road & Track. A few years ago, I had the opportunity to talk with Tim Meyer whose father Teddy was one of the principles at McLaren and kept it going after Bruce's death, what great stories he told. I also have an M8D diecast in Gurney livery signed by Dan. Can't wait for the next two films.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3198813)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watched it. About half-way through I realized where it was and what was about to happen. I think it was beautiful, and a fitting tribute.
Old 10 Feb 2013, 18:16 (Ref:3202479)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Milward View Post
Personally I loved it, every second of it, whist sad to watch knowing how it ends, it's actually describing the beginning and the birth of the Mclaren legacy.

I thought the voiceover was perfect, first describing his passion for racing, then onto how as a driver he knew how to modify the car to improve it and lastly describing his last moments followed by his epitaph. I think there are enough people around to corroborate the narrative.

Mclaren cannot forget their roots and Bruce's desire to be the best is what underpins the whole company.

The music throughout was awesome and very well chosen (Hans Zimmer - The Village)

This is the first of 3 short films that celebrate the 50 years of Mclaren, the scene is perfectly set for part 2 in my opinion

Agreed - totally.