Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Jun 2004, 00:14 (Ref:1012765)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New car for Champion?

I was just looking through all of the Le Mans pics at championracing.net (worth a look, they have some good ones).

Anyways, I noticed this caption on one of the photos:

"605 is loaded for air freight to America"

http://www.championracing.net/Audi_R8/home/index.htm

Some of you will know that Champion has used chassis number 505 in the recent past (2003 and the 2004 Sebring race). They used 605 at Le Mans, as it was set up for 2004 specs. However, the ALMS does not require 2004 spec cars.

I wonder if they turned in their old car, or will they have two chassis here in the states? If the later is true, will they run two cars at some point during the season? I doubt it, but I thought it was interesting. Maybe someone knows the meaning behind this.

Last edited by jhansen; 23 Jun 2004 at 00:15.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 00:53 (Ref:1012781)   #2
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spare parts? Or maybe 605 has some new bits in the engine/electronics Champion wants to use in ALMS.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 01:21 (Ref:1012790)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
They will have two cars. They have also alluded to the "possibility" that both cars may be raced.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 01:26 (Ref:1012791)   #4
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sportscarsRULE
Spare parts? Or maybe 605 has some new bits in the engine/electronics Champion wants to use in ALMS.
It was mentioned during the SPEED Channel broadcst that Champion really like the front spliter on that car(605). I doubt that would be the reason to bring it over but I really think that they wanted a newer chassis that didn't have as many races on it.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 15:55 (Ref:1013509)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I doubt Champion needs spare parts, so that reason doesn't seem right. But I also remember the news about the splitter being to their liking at Le Mans. That could be one reason. More likely Audi gave the oportunity to run a newer car and Champion jumped at it. But I'd like to believe most of all that they will run two cars at some point. Maybe at Petit and Laguna.

I have a side question, that I have asked before, but have not heard an answer. Do Champion, Veloqx and Goh lease these cars for the season from Audi? Or, does Audi "loan" them out? Or, do they buy them? I know Champion has at least owned one car, as they have tried to sell it on e-bay. And I believe Goh also own an older chassis.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 16:26 (Ref:1013556)   #6
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you also have to remember that the ALMS is going to use the 2004 regs next year so i'm sure that champion has brought that car back with them to run in next year's series as it is the 2004 spec car
Old 23 Jun 2004, 16:34 (Ref:1013567)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Arn't the ALMS running the 'old' regs in 2005, and even maybe 2006 as well.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 16:45 (Ref:1013579)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
I have a side question, that I have asked before, but have not heard an answer. Do Champion, Veloqx and Goh lease these cars for the season from Audi? Or, does Audi "loan" them out? Or, do they buy them? I know Champion has at least owned one car, as they have tried to sell it on e-bay. And I believe Goh also own an older chassis.
I remember Goh having another chassis too . That should mean that they own them . Maybe its a differant deal for differant teams ?
Old 23 Jun 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1013611)   #9
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Champion owns chassis 505. Indeed, they do hope to run it (605) alongside their existing 505 chassis at times this year, though they've not said where, or when.

The ALMS is likely not to adopt fully the new regulations until at least 2006 at this point.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 17:23 (Ref:1013624)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
It seems to be a mystery. What was Johanson's deal with Audi? Is that car (Chassis 403) in private hands somewhere, or was it sent back to Audi? The only cars that I am fairly sure are in private hands are Chassis 501 (Goh) and Chassis 405 (Champion - the e-bay car). According to wsrp.wz.cz the chassis that have been raced this year are:

601: Not raced
602: Audi Sport Team Goh
603: Audi Sport UK Team Veloqx (#8)
604: Audi Sport UK Team Veloqx (@ Le Mans #88)
605: Champion Racing (@ Le Mans)
606: Audi Sport UK Team Veloqx (@ Sebring #88)
505: Champion Racing (@ Sebring)
Old 24 Jun 2004, 03:45 (Ref:1014120)   #11
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doesnt champion also own another chassis? They have tried to sell an R8 on Ebay a couple times now, and i know its not the car they run because it has a strictly red white and blue paint scheme and the old glowing stars too.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 05:31 (Ref:1014150)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Um, yes, if you check some of the posts above, like the one directly above, it may have been mentioned.

Seriously though, yes Champion does own one of the older chassis.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1014372)   #13
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I hope they enter 2 cars for at least some of the races, and let the cars race each other - like the Veloqx Audi's did at Monza.

And we could use an extra car in LMP1.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 12:37 (Ref:1014535)   #14
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
They no longer own the older chassis. It was sold, and will not be raced in the ALMS.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1014593)   #15
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any idea on who it was sold to?
Old 25 Jun 2004, 03:19 (Ref:1015501)   #16
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you actually expect me to read the post before blindly answering??

Jeez, high expectations here!

Last edited by billnchristy; 25 Jun 2004 at 03:19.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 05:51 (Ref:1018350)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Well the announcers on the ALMS telecast said that the second Champion car will likely appear and perhaps sooner than later. And that this car could see some "high profile" drivers in it. Sounded like they were just ironing out sponsor details.

Anyone heard anything. Mags seems to be in the know on this one, but wont break silence. Anyone want to hazzard a guess on who might get a seat in this car?
Old 28 Jun 2004, 12:03 (Ref:1018677)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Well, if dates don't clash, maybe Johnny Herbert will return to the Champion fold?
Old 28 Jun 2004, 12:35 (Ref:1018727)   #19
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Junior?
Old 28 Jun 2004, 15:26 (Ref:1018956)   #20
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
One driver I'd like to see in there would be Guy Smith. I still haven't heard why Veloqx dropped him from the LMES rounds. Talented driver that knows how to be fast in an R8. Maybe Capello? He doesn't seem to be running DTM as much as Pirro, Biela and Kristensen. There is one conflicting date between DTM and ALMS, August 8th. Mosport & Oschersleben

And how about one left-field prediction. Well since Mags has the scoop, and she is Canadian, um how about a former WDC that happens to be French-Canadian?

LOL I am truely sorry to drag JV into it, but I couldn't resist!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 18:04 (Ref:1019166)   #21
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Capello isn't doing the DTM at all apart from the Shanghai non-championship race. His only commitment is to Team Goh in the LMES.