Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2001, 01:53 (Ref:80306)   #1
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I've just finished watching Friday practice on Speedvision, and I must say, it was very disappointing. This is the first year that Speedvision coverage has been available in Canada (outside of Quebec). The announce team of Bob Varsha and Steve Matchett was ok, but the coverage itself was about 55 minutes of Ferrari and 5 minutes of almost everyone else. I realize that they are at Imola, but we only got to see a couple shots of the McLaren , a couple of laps with Ralf, and a bit of Eddie, even less of Jacques. This is F1, not the Ferrari show, and I hope that someone says something to the Italian director before Sunday, although I think that's wishful thinking. Being in Italy, I suppose we'll have to grin and bear it.
I did think those antler-like winglets behind Michaels head were pretty cool, tho'
Old 14 Apr 2001, 02:09 (Ref:80308)   #2
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But SV is only getting the world feed. Don't blame them for something that is out of their hands
Old 14 Apr 2001, 02:57 (Ref:80319)   #3
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually I thought their announcing was pretty bad as well. The coverage as you rightly pointed out was a bit to one sided and did not cover many of the teams at all. But you have to understand it is Imola after all, so it's expected.
Anyway, Im just glad TSN finally allowed SV to show the practice session. It's a pretty genorous move by TSN ( and thats unusual in itself ) but hey - Im not complaining.

Some coverage is better than none..
Old 14 Apr 2001, 03:20 (Ref:80323)   #4
Farc
Rookie

Farc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari are the bernis car they are the only ones there this is may what will we see sat and Sunday I wish both ferrari out in the 1 or 2 lap and we can see a show of all f1 cars
Old 14 Apr 2001, 12:58 (Ref:80397)   #5
carbonfibre
Rookie

carbonfibre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheesh!! Get a clue!

Pardon my bluntness, but some folks will NEVER be happy. Speedvision does the best they can with what they are given by the host broadcaster. Where does this coverage come from?? Italy (ok, San Marino) - should it be any surprise that the directors are going to show the red cars?

Speedvision does a great job. Most of you whiners don't realize how good you have it. Shut up and enjoy the racing. Bluntness over.

Regards, CF
Old 14 Apr 2001, 13:06 (Ref:80399)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I second carb's comments. The annoucing team with the addition of Varsha and Matchett is the best we've ever had in the States. Three years ago when it was Posey, Daly and Hobbes, I nearly always wanted to through something through the TV.

Speedvision has done a terrific job. If you want to criticise coverage for which Speedvision is directly responsible, may I direct you to last season's USGP at Indy, where I feel they did a tremendous job and focused on the racing between Frentzen and JV and NOT on a lonely and bored Ferrari driver circulating alone at the front.
Old 14 Apr 2001, 15:38 (Ref:80443)   #7
jb
Rookie

jb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we should email Speedvision and thank them for bringing even MORE coverage! Friday night show a great way to start the weekend. What did those "other" networks ever do for the viewers when they had the Bernie rights?

Anyway, THANK YOU, Speedvision.
Old 14 Apr 2001, 15:57 (Ref:80451)   #8
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched qualification this morning on both Speedvision and TSN. Until the later halve of the coverage they did not get there commercials in synch and you could switch back and forth. TSN uses the Murray and Co. commentary with Speedvision having Sam Posey and David Hobbs. I don't have a complaint with either and I want to congratulate both TSN and Speedvision. Speedvision did extend there coverage by 1/2 hour and we got to see the driver interviews. Very intreresting since TGF was absent.
Old 14 Apr 2001, 16:46 (Ref:80458)   #9
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rather off topic, but seeming as the problems that US GP fans have had with getting any GP coverage at all, this might be a good place to ask...does anyone know of any sites that have live video streams of practise sessions, etc? I know they're about somewhere, but I can't seem to find them...
Old 14 Apr 2001, 17:47 (Ref:80462)   #10
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was not my intention to slag Speedvision in any way, as it is head and shoulders above the other channels, which only occasionally feature motorsports. It is a real life saver for real motorsport fans who need regular fixes, and I really enjoy their various announce teams. I mean, who gets more excited than Greg Creamer?
I know that they only take the world video feed, and are thus stuck with whatever the local director chooses to show, and I was just expressing disappointment that I didn't get to see much of anything that wasn't red. I knew what to expect, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing.
Anyway, I would be most upset if someone took my Speedvision away!
Old 16 Apr 2001, 00:13 (Ref:80956)   #11
riusnow
Racer

riusnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that SV did a good job considering they are taking someone else's feed. You can't really talk about one driver when they are showing a different car.
Just the fact that they are showing more F1 is an accomplishment. If only the US could show as much F1 as they do NASCAR and Monster Trucks. Over here we don't see anything about F1 in the newspapers or TV news.
The rest of the world is lucky.