Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 11 May 2015, 01:49 (Ref:3536303)   #1
_6thgear_
Rookie

_6thgear_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dessert First time going to the 24 HELP!

We decided to make the last minute trip and send it over to France for the 24 hours. How necessary is it to get grandstand tickets? There is only one stand left with available seats and its after the dunlop bridge in the esses. We don't have a campsite and we are planning to just sleep somewhere on the side for a few hours, maybe even in a grandstand seat. We also want to have access to Arnage and Mulsanne but we can't figure our which entry tickets we need for the "orange" and "blue" section.

Thanks!
Old 11 May 2015, 06:02 (Ref:3536335)   #2
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
You dont need a grandstand ticket. Most people dont have one.
Get a cheap camp ticket, just to have somewhere to park and sleep. You can get them when you arrive or buy in advance.

You can also get a GE ticket that allows you to enter at Mulsanne and Arnage as well. We never had parking tickets for these but has always been able to park there.

Kenn
Old 11 May 2015, 06:10 (Ref:3536339)   #3
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GS tickets can be a problem if you don't buy them before arriving, try your local agency. They include general entry tickets. Buy yourself a parkingticket for Arnage and Mulsanne at your local agency, last year it was sold out at the track. Have fun.
Old 11 May 2015, 06:10 (Ref:3536340)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
OK in order, no you do not need a granstand ticket but some here do consider them much higher than i do (never bought 1 in over 30 years) The circuit is huge and you will spend most of the time walking around watching from every where only the start line area gets especially packed at the start/finish.When are you arriving, a campsite includes parking and Beausjours is not much more than the car parking cost, You will need a car park if you do not have camping. The General access ticket allows access to all viewing area's including Arnarge and Mulsanne, but getting to them during the race can be difficult due to road closures. Anyway a warm welcome to the forum, please feel free to ask any other questions you have and read some of the threads on specific issues.Beware Le Mans is highly addictive
Old 11 May 2015, 06:14 (Ref:3536342)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
GS tickets can be a problem if you don't buy them before arriving, try your local agency. They include general entry tickets. Buy yourself a parkingticket for Arnage and Mulsanne at your local agency, last year it was sold out at the track. Have fun.
Sorry Rene but the Grandstand tickets do not include General entry they are extra, but unlimited and can be purchased on arrival.
Old 11 May 2015, 10:38 (Ref:3536401)   #6
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Sorry Rene but the Grandstand tickets do not include General entry they are extra, but unlimited and can be purchased on arrival.
Oooh didn't know that!!! my GS ticket always comes with a GE, must have a chat with my ticket supplier
Old 11 May 2015, 21:16 (Ref:3536562)   #7
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
welcome, I have a couple of spare tickets to the stand on the Ford Chicane, if you would like them, at face value.
Old 12 May 2015, 02:59 (Ref:3536627)   #8
_6thgear_
Rookie

The issue with us camping is that we are only taking the train in for the event and wont have a car or sleeping gear because we are from the USA. We will really be "roughing it" but it will be worth it.

Any photography tips, spots through or over fencing?

Seriously, any tips are much appreciated!
Old 12 May 2015, 05:31 (Ref:3536639)   #9
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Here's the best advice you'll get all day: The guy above who is offering his Ford Chicane grandstand tickets at face value, take him up on that offer! In my visits to Le Mans (not nearly as many as most folks here though) I've managed to check out various grandstands (keep in mind, if you're down during practice or qualifying they are all open to anyone), and IMO the seats at Ford are the best on the circuit. It's where I'll be sitting, and I had to pay a mark up from a dealer. So yeah, buy those tickets before they are gone!
Old 12 May 2015, 06:33 (Ref:3536656)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by _6thgear_ View Post
The issue with us camping is that we are only taking the train in for the event and wont have a car or sleeping gear because we are from the USA. We will really be "roughing it" but it will be worth it.

Any photography tips, spots through or over fencing?

Seriously, any tips are much appreciated!
You can buy cheap tents (probably 20-30 euros) and any other camping supplies in the Carrefour which is right at a tram stop and then walk them into the circuit
Old 12 May 2015, 06:54 (Ref:3536658)   #11
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Ok so you are on the train, two options for getting to the arnarge and mulsanne viewing area's are, one use the buses these are available and can get you there and back but they are slow and you can end up waiting a considerable time for them. The other alternative is to try and talk to those camped around you and see if they have spaces in their cars,.When do you arrive? The practice days are much easier to get to the viewing points by car but no buses unfortunately. Once you get camping sorted see who else is around and try and make contact with them they can advise you and help. Also try and be around for the meet on saturday you will certainly not be the only visitors from the US there
Old 12 May 2015, 10:17 (Ref:3536693)   #12
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Certainly if you're there over multiple days then camping is a good idea. By the sounds of it _6thgear_ seems like they are coming in for the race. So there's not a lot of point. And surely at this stage it's pretty tough to get a campsite.

My advice like ATLFalconsFan said is to get those (or some other) grandstand tickets. Especially if you're coming from the States. That gives you a base to go back to and somewhere you could get a bit of sleep. Although just make sure to keep an eye on your belongings - just in case. Most grandstands aren't manned by stewards during the early hours.

You can get the shuttle buses out to Arnage/Mulsanne during the race. They are a bit patchy but we've managed to get one every year since 2011. Just make sure to leave some time if you are heading back to the circuit for the finish. As you often have to wait for about the third bus before you can get on. Especially from Arnage.
Old 12 May 2015, 10:51 (Ref:3536703)   #13
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And check out this thread of course!

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136187
Old 12 May 2015, 11:00 (Ref:3536707)   #14
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've made this map, a great help. Hopefully
Le Mans Map
Old 12 May 2015, 12:27 (Ref:3536743)   #15
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Certainly if you're there over multiple days then camping is a good idea. By the sounds of it _6thgear_ seems like they are coming in for the race. So there's not a lot of point. And surely at this stage it's pretty tough to get a campsite.

My advice like ATLFalconsFan said is to get those (or some other) grandstand tickets. Especially if you're coming from the States. That gives you a base to go back to and somewhere you could get a bit of sleep. Although just make sure to keep an eye on your belongings - just in case. Most grandstands aren't manned by stewards during the early hours.
I'd agree that there's not a vast amount of point in booking a campsite, but picking up essentially disposable stuff to keep you warm in the grandstand / trackside probably isn't a bad idea - and as such Carrefour is a good source for such things and is pretty convenient. Something as basic as a foam roll and light fleece blanket would probably go quite a long way to make the whole experience that little bit more comfortable.
Old 13 May 2015, 19:55 (Ref:3537214)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hi 6thgear, welcome to the Le Mans subforum and great to hear of your determination to be at the World's Greatest Motor Race. I would hearily recommend that you spend a while (well, a few hours actually) ploughing through the various threads on here - some signposted for you already.

I'm not going to say a lot about the 'grandstand or no grandstand' debate because there are a lot of differing views. For my first 17 years or so at Le Mans, I didn't buy a GS seat, but have had one every year now since and I wouldn't give it up. In relative terms, they're pretty cheap, give you somewhere to crash out and rest up just to concentrate on the action from a perch that will inevitably give you a better view of the action. I'm one of those sad folks who wants to watch as much on-track action as possible, so it's invaluable to me.

Just a note for others (and one that I've repeated elsewhere here and in my 2014 story too), we would have been refused entry to Mulsanne last year on the Wednesday evening had we not had a Mulsanne/Arnage car park ticket. Now we may just have happened upon an over-zealous car park marshal, but with (in all likelihood) an even larger crowd this year, I wouldn't guarantee anyone getting into the car parks at Mulsanne/Arnage without one - at busy times. Having said that, I'll lay odds-on they're sold out by now.
Old 14 May 2015, 08:55 (Ref:3537336)   #17
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'll lay odds-on they're sold out by now.
They are.
Old 14 May 2015, 19:27 (Ref:3537489)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I win then......
Old 1 Jun 2015, 00:27 (Ref:3543594)   #19
_6thgear_
Rookie

So if I want Grandstand admission plus general admission to everything including Mulsanne and Arnage I have to pay...

75- Grandstand
75- Admission
31- Mulsanne and Arnage

181 total?

Is this right?
Old 1 Jun 2015, 00:30 (Ref:3543595)   #20
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by _6thgear_ View Post
So if I want Grandstand admission plus general admission to everything including Mulsanne and Arnage I have to pay...

75- Grandstand
75- Admission
31- Mulsanne and Arnage

181 total?

Is this right?
I'm not sure how much the face value price is for a grandstand seat, I think they are different for each one. But I do know that you do not have to pay extra to go to Mulsanne or Arnage. If you buy the general admission ticket it is good for Mulsanne and Arnage. The separate $31 price for those is for people that only want to go to those locations and not the main area.
Old 1 Jun 2015, 00:40 (Ref:3543597)   #21
_6thgear_
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I'm not sure how much the face value price is for a grandstand seat, I think they are different for each one. But I do know that you do not have to pay extra to go to Mulsanne or Arnage. If you buy the general admission ticket it is good for Mulsanne and Arnage. The separate $31 price for those is for people that only want to go to those locations and not the main area.
Thank you! So basically all i have to know is that a grandstand ticket does not cover admission?
Old 1 Jun 2015, 01:15 (Ref:3543602)   #22
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Yes. If you want to sit in a grandstand seat you need both a general entry ticket and a supplemental grandstand ticket. However during practice and qualifying you don't need a grandstand ticket but can sit in any of them.
Old 1 Jun 2015, 05:10 (Ref:3543650)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
That is correct you must have a GE, but that includes admission to all viewing area's, Grandstands are extra but optional, you can watch the race from all the grandstands during practice for free and most people do not have grandstand tickets prefering to watch from the other area's. rather than the seating in the grandstands
Old 1 Jun 2015, 10:02 (Ref:3543715)   #24
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They're getting a bit snippy about not having Mulsanne and Arnage-specific parking tickets if you're heading down there non?
Old 1 Jun 2015, 17:38 (Ref:3543884)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Others will say nonsense, but yes, I believe so. We certainly wouldn;t have got into the Mulsanne car park last year - on the Wednesday when it was pretty empty - without showing our ticket.