Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 24 Jan 2002, 13:51 (Ref:203623)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No Brudle @ Le Mans 2002

I see that in today's Autosport, Martin Brundle say's he will not be driving at this year Le Mans, due to many other comitments, Shame, means, no victory for him this year
Old 24 Jan 2002, 14:54 (Ref:203653)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats a shame, I wanted to see him back in the Bentley again.

It doesn't clash with a GP either...or does it?
Old 24 Jan 2002, 14:57 (Ref:203656)   #3
clk-lm
Rookie

clk-lm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
last year the canadian GP was pushed back a week so the dates wouldnt clash. i remember i could stay up to watch the gp cause i was so tired in 2000, when the gp was the day after.
Old 24 Jan 2002, 15:22 (Ref:203668)   #4
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by clk-lm
last year the canadian GP was pushed back a week so the dates wouldnt clash. i remember i could stay up to watch the gp cause i was so tired in 2000, when the gp was the day after.
Oh, come ON! It's an ENDURANCE race. That means we true fans have to suffer right along with them. In our dry, warm living rooms, of course. Although I am planning to go to LeMans.

Next week is Daytona and you want to talk about tired? It will probably be 30 something degrees and everyone will be walking around with frozen snot on their cheeks. The wind will be about 40mph at midnight, swirling around the bowl and making everyone miserable. And that is if it doesn't rain/hail/snow.

Add to that the fact that we are all eating race food (or all-fibre power bars), and Sunday morning will just be hell. The sound of the engines never escape the high banks and the entire night is just one loooooong echo. It is a relentless, never ending pounding. The dirt under your feet trembles the entire time.

By the time it is over, everyone just says "horay, yawn" and collapses on the tailgate of the nearest truck. I can't wait.

As a real fan, I have to go. I have no choice. But you had better believe I will be in the easy chair at midnight with a cup of hot coa coa, watching speedvision/channel and saying "Man, those guys are nuts."
Old 24 Jan 2002, 15:25 (Ref:203669)   #5
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by clk-lm
Old 24 Jan 2002, 15:55 (Ref:203678)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll miss Brundle this year. Top bloke.

He also drove some of the best looking cars at Le Mans in the last few years.
Old 24 Jan 2002, 17:51 (Ref:203730)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brundle was great fun in the paddock at Le Mans. He's pose for pictures from fans and then say "Well you can sell that to the tabloids for a nice price now!" He and all the Bentley Boys were out front signing autographs and chatting with the fans nonstop on the Friday. I'm going to miss him.

However, there is still Butch Leitzinger ...

I attended the Canadian GP, spent one day at home and then raced off to England for Silverstone Testing and Le Mans. Probably going to do the same thing this year. I love it.
Old 24 Jan 2002, 21:08 (Ref:203844)   #8
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats what comes from having to do some of Murray Walkers jobs, now he has retired.
Old 24 Jan 2002, 21:22 (Ref:203855)   #9
f2001
Racer

f2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bentleys have the car to challenge to Joest Audis ! hopfully Brundle will come back in 2003 !
Old 24 Jan 2002, 23:39 (Ref:203931)   #10
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I don't want to offened Guy and Stephan and the other drivers, But Brundle was by far the best driver @ Bentley last season. If the #7 car hadn't of retired, I think he would of guided them to 3rd place. i say we bombard him with pleas for his return, if not this year, then next season at least. Klaus Graf is the driver in the frame as his replacement. it would mean a German driver, which would please the VW/Audi owners.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 00:17 (Ref:203949)   #11
clk-lm
Rookie

clk-lm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Austin

Oh, come ON! It's an ENDURANCE race. That means we true fans have to suffer right along with them. In our dry, warm living rooms, of course. Although I am planning to go to LeMans.
once again i struggle with the english language, i meant that i stayed up all night for le mans and was to tired to stay up for the canadian GP. im the only person i know that does it every year, i have a problem. its good to know that im not alone. id be at le mans every year if i had the money.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 13:17 (Ref:204175)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by pink69
I don't want to offened Guy and Stephan and the other drivers, But Brundle was by far the best driver @ Bentley last season.
I'm a Brundle fan as much as anyone else, but I don't actually agree with you pink. The man with the real Le Mans pedigree on the Bentley team has got to be Andy Wallace. Martin doesn't even come close to Andy's record in long-distance races.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 22:00 (Ref:204456)   #13
f2001
Racer

f2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have u noticed, brundles recent le mans results:

99: retired
00: not competing
01: retired
02: not competing
Old 25 Jan 2002, 22:15 (Ref:204463)   #14
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pink69
[B]I don't want to offened Guy and Stephan and the other drivers, But Brundle was by far the best driver @ Bentley last season. "

You must have missed Butch Lietzinger's massive outside pass on Wayne Taylor at Mosport's hairy downhill, off camber turn two. That's the turn jackie Stewart has described as "the most dangerous corner in the world." As Taylor moved to defend the outside, Butch appearantly fainted to the outside, waited until Taylor braked, then merrily sailed by on the outside. It was a stunning manuver and those of us watching it were agape.

I met Butch (and he is a NEAT guy) at Daytona during the last GrandAm race and asked him if he planned it or was just faking and the door opened and he just smiled, acting as if anyone could have done it. "Well, no one had ever tried it, so why not?" Then I asked him about what Taylor had to say. He just smiled again and gave me a little chuckle.

I think Butch might be the most underrated of all the current sportscar drives.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 22:37 (Ref:204480)   #15
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can go either way with Martin. Yes he can be quick and yes he can win. MAybe not both though.

The storming laps last year proved that, had he been the last driver not the first he might just have taken over a good car and charged to a second place.

I do agree Andy is maybe the better endro driver. Would like to see both in the same Bentley team with Blundell. Maybe 2003 !!!!!

SL
Old 25 Jan 2002, 23:09 (Ref:204494)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, Wallace, Brundle and Blundell, or Wallace, Brundle and Herbert. Either combination would really be worth cheering for!
Old 25 Jan 2002, 23:20 (Ref:204501)   #17
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You just made me think of when was the last all UK team to win LM ? without research I would guess 50's Jags ??

Minor trivor question

SL
Old 27 Jan 2002, 11:39 (Ref:205170)   #18
FullMonty
Rookie

FullMonty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a shame he was the main reason why I watch Le Mans for as long as possible through the 24
Old 27 Jan 2002, 20:05 (Ref:205450)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by FullMonty
Thats a shame he was the main reason why I watch Le Mans for as long as possible through the 24
Plenty of others to cheer for, Monty!

I guess the one man with legitimate reason not to cheer for Mr. Brundle would have been Eliseo Salazar........
Old 28 Jan 2002, 11:54 (Ref:205723)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Butch is also a standout guy. We met him at Mosport and he actually came out of the trailer in the middle of his lunch to talk to us about the ALMS model they were driving and about testing at Virginia, and was very relaxed -- also he and Andy Wallace were friendly and talkative at Le Mans, which was rare among the drivers.