Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Oct 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3150419)   #1
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Arrest warrant issued for Vijay Mallaya

The Indian Grand Prix could be a whole lot more interesting this year.

Autosport article here.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 16:13 (Ref:3150469)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
hmmmm......not the sort of thing that sponsors take too kindly to. It's bad for the image.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3150481)   #3
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aren't the sponsors the Mallya companies that defaulted anyway?
Old 12 Oct 2012, 18:20 (Ref:3150505)   #4
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It could have been worse, for "hoon driving" or something...

He should just ring up Bernie for some advice on dodging the warrant.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 19:16 (Ref:3150521)   #5
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How long before the rumours start about Force India's future? Both Mallya and the Sahara Group have financial issues...
Old 12 Oct 2012, 19:58 (Ref:3150535)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
Aren't the sponsors the Mallya companies that defaulted anyway?
certainly Kingfisher airlines and the drink brands also owned by Mallya's United Breweries are. with the airline at least, if they cant pay their employees they really shouldn't be spending money on sponsoring an F1 team.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3150545)   #7
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
certainly Kingfisher airlines and the drink brands also owned by Mallya's United Breweries are. with the airline at least, if they cant pay their employees they really shouldn't be spending money on sponsoring an F1 team.
I'd be very surprised if they're meeting their financial commitments to the team... how long before we see a winding up order issued by a Force India supplier ?
Old 12 Oct 2012, 20:33 (Ref:3150566)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
maybe not far away at all. if you read the Joe Saward blog (one recent example) then you will know that he has been painting a picture of a plan to put Mallya into a position where he has to start selling off his more valuable assets like the UB group.

the timing of the arrest warrant for what amounts to not paying a relatively tiny portion of a much larger debt in such close proximity to the Indian GP certainly gives some credence to the idea that there is a larger game being played here.

im not sure if i think its all that clandestine (although how cool would it be if it was...well except for the employees not getting paid) but yeah i agree and also have a fear that bigger problems are on the horizon for the team.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 21:02 (Ref:3150579)   #9
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saward has an agenda he has been waging all year, he is paid by Fernandes (Caterham) so I would be careful when extrapolating his opinion into fact. He has issue with VJ, that IS a fact.

I can't see any evidence of the F1 team being touched by these problems so far. Let's hope that stays the case.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3150581)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I'd be very surprised if they're meeting their financial commitments to the team... how long before we see a winding up order issued by a Force India supplier ?
Me too, I wonder who will end up buying the team ?
Old 12 Oct 2012, 21:05 (Ref:3150582)   #11
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
his more valuable assets like the UB group.
From what I read UB are about £1 billion in the red.Kingfisher about £ .5 billion.
Bail out from Bernie?....
Old 12 Oct 2012, 21:15 (Ref:3150584)   #12
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Saward has an agenda he has been waging all year, he is paid by Fernandes (Caterham) so I would be careful when extrapolating his opinion into fact. He has issue with VJ, that IS a fact.

I can't see any evidence of the F1 team being touched by these problems so far. Let's hope that stays the case.
I haven't read one falsehood from Saward on this issue. His stuff checks out. Some of it is even coming out on the other thread and are there on the links that I posted.

Last edited by Paradise City; 12 Oct 2012 at 21:28.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3150597)   #13
QnickFTW
Racer

QnickFTW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
He should just ring up Bernie for some advice on dodging the warrant.
Bernie has an amazingly sophisticated system developed for that, he doesnt go to the country that issue the warrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Ive came a cross a blog the other day (mid-summerish I think), a guy of some European nationality, flight attended at Kingfisher and the company still owed him money from last year. I imagine how delighted he and other Kingfisher employees are with Mallaya's yachting and F1ing habits.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 23:51 (Ref:3150635)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Me too, I wonder who will end up buying the team ?
Quite probably, no one. Not anyone with any business sense, anyway. Not unless the whole thing can be got for an absolute bargain. Picking it up for 1 Euro would still leave all of your spending ahead of you.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 00:01 (Ref:3150640)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
actually, if you've got business sense and you want to get involved with f1 you could do a lot worse than buying force india. well established, already tooled up, staffing and employee structures already in place... they're also clearly capable of designing and building a good car.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 00:10 (Ref:3150643)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
actually, if you've got business sense and you want to get involved with f1 you could do a lot worse than buying force india. well established, already tooled up, staffing and employee structures already in place... they're also clearly capable of designing and building a good car.
Well yes. But teams are still in a position where sponsorship and Bernies hand-outs still aren't paying the bills. It has become a sport where even Billionaires are having to think twice about joining in on the fun.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 00:18 (Ref:3150650)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Could this be the team Honda are rumoured to be returning to F1 with?
Or would they just do an engine deal now?

P.S. Poor Mallya, thinks he can behave like a banker without a 1st world country banking licence!
Old 13 Oct 2012, 00:32 (Ref:3150660)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Or would they just do an engine deal now?
Once bitten twice shy, as they say.

Honda, and any other car manufacturer thinking of coming into F1 as a chassis builder, ought to know by now that if you haven't got an Adrian Newey, or someone of that ilk, then you're basically just throwing money out of the window. Particularly as it's still pretty much a spending competition.

On the other hand, Honda do engines really well, particularly petrol engines.

However, there's no real official sign yet that Honda are at all interested.

http://www.pitpass.com/47558-Honda-c...ring-F1-return

Last edited by Marbot; 13 Oct 2012 at 00:40.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 03:31 (Ref:3150728)   #19
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's been going on for years. I was at one of his evenings in Montreal in 2010 and he was less than kind about Mallya. He detests that Mallya was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Not saying it is unfounded, just a long standing bias.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 08:17 (Ref:3150766)   #20
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
It's been going on for years. I was at one of his evenings in Montreal in 2010 and he was less than kind about Mallya. He detests that Mallya was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Not saying it is unfounded, just a long standing bias.
Yes, exactly. It's not easy to spot obvious prejudice unless you are either looking for it or have suffered yourself. I have enough experience in the media to spot a plant when one crosses my desk and this is a great example of a skilled, paid for, propagandist in action.

It's never what they say, it's what they leave out. Just allowing the reader to put two and two together and make five. I don't often visit his blog but the other day he posted this http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/...1-pay-drivers/ which is a perfectly rational analysis of drivers, teams and their earnings. With one obvious omission. He leaves out Force India entirely.....

The very first reader comments on this and of course then gets the payoff: "I’d be more interested to know what happens to the money supply before thinking about drivers."

There you have it! Seed is sown. It's easy when you know how!
Old 13 Oct 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3150862)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Honda, and any other car manufacturer thinking of coming into F1 as a chassis builder, ought to know by now that if you haven't got an Adrian Newey, or someone of that ilk, then you're basically just throwing money out of the window. Particularly as it's still pretty much a spending competition.
you need to use 'in my opinion' a little more.

i think if a manufacturer wanted a cheaper way in then supplying engines and buying significant sponsorship on the car would be a way of doing it. however, if they were doing that then force india probably wouldn't be the ones to do it with.

on a side note, you're forgetting exactly how many gifted designers there are in a f1 team. the head genius might be a lead, a direction in which to think but he doesn't design *everything* on a car. red bull have a really good proactive attitude to their employees and nurturing talent.

incidentally, did anyone notice how the honda rumours appeared at the same time as they were fist-shaking about leaving motogp?
Old 13 Oct 2012, 14:25 (Ref:3150916)   #22
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes, exactly. It's not easy to spot obvious prejudice unless you are either looking for it or have suffered yourself. I have enough experience in the media to spot a plant when one crosses my desk and this is a great example of a skilled, paid for, propagandist in action.

It's never what they say, it's what they leave out. Just allowing the reader to put two and two together and make five. I don't often visit his blog but the other day he posted this http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/...1-pay-drivers/ which is a perfectly rational analysis of drivers, teams and their earnings. With one obvious omission. He leaves out Force India entirely.....

The very first reader comments on this and of course then gets the payoff: "I’d be more interested to know what happens to the money supply before thinking about drivers."

There you have it! Seed is sown. It's easy when you know how!
Saward announces that he has biases, he makes no claim to objectivity. Any claim made by any journalist needs to be cross referenced. Saward's biases in this instance have been cross referenced and independently vindicated by various other financial publications unrelated to sport. What's is odd running around with "Joe Saward, Joe Saward, Joe Saward" ringing in one mind, demanding surreal standards of evidence and ignoring the very real evidence there is at hand in regard to Force India. That evidence is that the medium term financial stability of Force India is at stake. Chanting "Saward" like a mantra doesn't make that any less true.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 16:21 (Ref:3150970)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eventually Mallya was going to have to face the music and it's all going to fall apart over time.

On Saward he is one of the few F1 journalists I have ever enjoyed reading and puts a lot of interesting opinions and information out there, but by his own admission, he's on the payroll of a variety of organizations out there and you have to take what he says with that in mind.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3151072)   #24
Zen
Rookie

Australia
Bicester
Zen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does it say about Fernandes and Caterham when they employ a journalist to write derisory articles in his 'independent blog' about a rival they have severe problems with. Lets not forget this whole spat started with Gascoyne & his team copying Force India's car. Does this mean Saward condones cheating???

Its a pity Blogs and PR tripe don't win races
Old 13 Oct 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3151086)   #25
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
if you've got business sense and you want to get involved with f1
You've got a problem and need to see a psychiatrist