Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jun 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1322467)   #1
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(British TV) No Live Canadian Quali?

For some reason, You've Been Framed seems to be more important than F1 qualifying!

http://www.mydigiguide.com/dgx/wbl.d...42aacb76&Ch=63

http://www.itv-f1.com/TVSchedule.aspx

When this happened for Oz qualifying, I could understand the argument that GMTV owned the early morning airtime, but at 6 PM what's the problem? Or is prime time too good for F1?
Old 7 Jun 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1322469)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes prime time is too good for F1. I would hazard a guess that more people watch You've been framed than F1 qualifying! Still that doesn't mean we can't be annoyed.

Any chance of ITV2/3. Oh no, I remember, sham of a TV company
Old 7 Jun 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1322481)   #3
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ironic considering they've been making a big deal of the switch to a single session that decides it all.

Anyway, it's not new...ITV has never shown live qualifying for the US & Canadian races (I don't think Brazil either?) - too many millions of people wanting their brains melted by the pitiful tripe that is Saturday night TV.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1322486)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have this thread every year.

ITV have never shown the qualifying session of the Canadian Grand Prix live.

It is a business which exists to make a profit - and its contract only says it has to show live qualifying for grands prix in Europe.

While as an F1 fan I'm annoyed it's not live, it's not unexpected.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1322518)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Not so sure about that KB, I seem to recall watching a Montreal quali session live a few years back (1999, 2000?), or maybe my mind is starting to melt...
Old 7 Jun 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1322523)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it must be
Old 7 Jun 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1322524)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's never been live. Which is no excuse for the situation not improving mind....

ITV really excel themselves at this time of year. I must say, I love watching LIVE qualifying on formula1.com. It's so lively!

A week later, it'll be much the same story at Indy. ITV: three channels, three opportunities, three bouts of ignorance. Get a grip boys and girls!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1322543)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grr.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1322564)   #9
pD F1
Racer

pD F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the TV Schedule, the highlights repeat will follow just over an hour after the first highlights!

Another full race replay on Wednesday!

Do they show replays for every race now?

Canadian GP on ITV1 and ITV2

Oualifying: Saturday 11 June 2330 – 0045 (ITV1)

Live race: Sunday 12 June 1700 – 1950 (ITV1)

Highlights: Sunday 12 June 2355 – 0055 (ITV1)

Highlights: Monday 13 June 0200 – 0250 (ITV2)

Full race replay: Tuesday 14 June ITV1 0115 – 0345 (ITV1)
Old 7 Jun 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1322588)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for posting the schedule info pD F1. A real shame the Canadian Grand Prix qualifying is never live, and I remember the first year of the U.S. Grand Prix returning back in 2000 they didn't even show the race live, instead they showed this old film, which could have been shown anytime.
Yet Brazil is one hour a head of the Eastern part of U.S. and Canada right? Yet they always managed to show the qualifying live well I certainly remember they did before the new system back in 2002.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1322599)   #11
pD F1
Racer

pD F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Thanks for posting the schedule info pD F1. A real shame the Canadian Grand Prix qualifying is never live, and I remember the first year of the U.S. Grand Prix returning back in 2000 they didn't even show the race live, instead they showed this old film, which could have been shown anytime.
Yet Brazil is one hour a head of the Eastern part of U.S. and Canada right? Yet they always managed to show the qualifying live well I certainly remember they did before the new system back in 2002.

No problem.

I'm disappointed at this as well, as I enjoy watching qualifying live and especially at Canada, which often produces some of the most exciting sessions!
I'm surprised too that ITV have gone a bit adventurous in broadcasting the show (even in Suzuka and Brazil, where the London studio was normally used since last year) from the paddock, yet they don't at least put all the flyaway race quali's on ITV 2/3 live!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1322655)   #12
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
We have this thread every year......
And we'll probably have it again for the US and Brazilian GPs

It was only 2 weeks ago people were praising ITV in this thread
Old 7 Jun 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1322657)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The cost of producing the F1 qualifying coverage is too high to commerciall justify showing it to the reduced audiences of ITV2 and ITV3. I don't know how many times this perfectly-logical point has been overlooked. The thing that really concerns me is the overuse of safety cars or local yellows when a red flag is required, so as to avoid delaying the schedules, which may have caused Ralf and Alonso's crashes last year.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1322680)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
The cost of producing the F1 qualifying coverage is too high to commerciall justify showing it to the reduced audiences of ITV2 and ITV3.
Production costs? Excuse my ignorance, but what extra costs are there for Q. Everyone is already out there. They have already bought the rights to do it. The infrastructure is already there. Does it cost too much to beam the signal over? If so how can these production cost be justified for Motors TV for it's live foriegn events? Or even for Eurosport when it used to cover every session live?

I thought it was more down to contracts and ITV2/3 being separate entities in many ways. Which, frankly, is still a pitiful excuse!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1322771)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Blimey, angry Adam, that is a first...
Old 7 Jun 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1322788)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Production costs? Excuse my ignorance, but what extra costs are there for Q. Everyone is already out there. They have already bought the rights to do it. The infrastructure is already there. Does it cost too much to beam the signal over? If so how can these production cost be justified for Motors TV for it's live foriegn events? Or even for Eurosport when it used to cover every session live?

I thought it was more down to contracts and ITV2/3 being separate entities in many ways. Which, frankly, is still a pitiful excuse!

ITV2 and ITV3 have their own controllers, who have their own budgets.

If they wanted to show F1, they'd have to pay for it - and the audiences for those channels make live programming largely impossible.

An episode of "The Worlds Wackiest Police Chases" can be shown many times and therefore has a low cost - whereas coverage of an F1 qualifying session can only be used once, as it is out of date within 1 day when the race is run.

Mounting a live F1 broadcast is expensive and it's not as simple as plugging into a feed - ITV would need to man a full gallery for the live show, even down to cueing and playing break-bumpers, getting timings right, having back up lines in place if there's a problem with the live commentary feed (a particular issue for transatlantic races.)

F1 races pull an audience.

F1 qualifying sessions would not pull as many viewers as the normal primetime fare on ITV.

And the cost is prohibitive for ITV2 or ITV3 to show it, although contracturally I understand they are allowed to.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 23:11 (Ref:1322800)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I seem to recall that when ITV2 and 3 were introduced we were promised "more comprehensive" coverage of F1, split across its 3 channels, that seems to have fallen by the wayside...
Old 8 Jun 2005, 03:24 (Ref:1322874)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
and I remember the first year of the U.S. Grand Prix returning back in 2000 they didn't even show the race live, instead they showed this old film, which could have been shown anytime.

That race (the first in the USA for a loooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggg time) was actually shown live on ITV2.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 07:14 (Ref:1322929)   #19
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't see how ITV2 & 3 are separate entities when they mostly show repeats of what has been on ITV1? I read somewhere that they are starting ITV4 which will be mainly sport.
Anyway I expect to be watching live qualifying from Montreal & Indy on RTL.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1322944)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
If they wanted to show F1, they'd have to pay for it - and the audiences for those channels make live programming largely impossible.
Presumably ITV has already bought it. Couldn't they give it to ITV2/3 on the cheap. Perhaps as a service to the fans? It probably would get the audience and it would enable ITV to say things like "comprehensive coverage" or "we are making an effort".

It is a silly situation that putting a Q session on another channel is prohibited by internal budgets.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1322950)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

But there is a cost involved.

ITV is a business, which is about making money.

You're going to watch the race anyway.

So it's not going to benefit ITV showing the qualifying session live.

Casual viewers only care about the race anyway, fans will moan but will still tune into the delayed qualifying.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 08:23 (Ref:1322965)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The cost is internal though? Or do ITV have to pay per session they want to show? I aussmed they bought the entire season in one go. So cost wise the ITV had paid for it. Is that incorrect? My point is if it is just internal costs at ITV then that is silly.

Even if they do pay per session. Surely they shoul dnegotiate a cheaper deal for the fly-away races saying we will only show it live if it is cheaper.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1322970)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

The cost in terms of broadcast rights is the same, that's not the issue.

It's the cost of mounting a live programme that's the issue.

Even if it cost nothing to make, there would still be the question of whether there's any benefit to ITV from showing that qualifying session live.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1322971)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Im actually pretty sure that ITV did show qualifying live from most venues when they took over from ITV. And around 2000 they had the contract ammended as it did state "must cover all quali and races live", or words along those lines.
I recall reading about it in Autosport.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 09:14 (Ref:1322992)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
It's the cost of mounting a live programme that's the issue.
What costs? Just show the hour with Martin and the other one talking over it. It isn't as if you need to pay for flights or anything!

Sell the advertising as a package. They should use their imagination.
Quote:
Even if it cost nothing to make, there would still be the question of whether there's any benefit to ITV from showing that qualifying session live.
I think there would be benefit for those other channels. Someone might actually watch them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Im actually pretty sure that ITV did show qualifying live from most venues when they took over from ITV. And around 2000 they had the contract ammended as it did state "must cover all quali and races live", or words along those lines.
I remember early on they messed up with Q. For France in their first year (?) they couldn't show Q because it turns out they hadn't paid for Q!

As for whether they had to show Q live, I remember something along those lines, but presumably it isn't the case. This is complete conjecture, but it would be funny if ITV pay more to not show Q live!