Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 13 Aug 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3119302)   #26
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
Marcus is doing a fantastic job over there.He has been very close to winning on ovals-very close.He is on one of the biggest stages of motorsport in the world and has respect there-- need anything else be said?

FWIW-- he has opened the door for other credentialed Australians and New Zealanders to follow .Owen Kelly has the job to qualify Kyle Busch car this coming weekend--may get a race start.Owen is another great driver that has been deprived of career path here and is highly respected -- good luck to both of them next weekend.
Didn't he get a top 10 finnish the 1st time he competed in one of the series he raced in? awesome effort if it were true.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 16:10 (Ref:3119390)   #27
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
That looked like BTCC on 'roids.

Too much contact and exceeding of track limits.
"Too much contact and exceeding of track limits:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sDtn8QnpFg
Old 13 Aug 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3119406)   #28
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
The DTM series would just be a stepdown...he should go to the F1 if he wants to
That last lap had more overtaking for the lead than DTM has in an entire season.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 23:24 (Ref:3119559)   #29
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Didn't he get a top 10 finnish the 1st time he competed in one of the series he raced in? awesome effort if it were true.
5th at Road America in Nationwide 2010 if I recall correctly
Old 14 Aug 2012, 00:30 (Ref:3119568)   #30
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few here seem to think Marcos would be content and satisfied with what he has achieved in the US so far.

From what I see and read, he is far from finished over there.
He wants oval wins, and likely a championship, to feel he has succeeded in NASCAR.

I also get the feeling he miscalculated how long he would need in the sport to do that. This is based on his comments about having his daughters educated and growing up in Australia - something you can't slow down obviously - and yet he is still over there pushing for his 1st oval win. I believe he will do it.

What a great win he has just had - exactly what he needs to reinvigorate himself for the bigger goals he has set himself. My family sat and watched the last 15 laps again last night (well the youngest boy watched the whole race, he's hooked) and I can't remember a more exciting finish since Bathurst 2007.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 01:19 (Ref:3119578)   #31
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With the great difficulty to excel in all facets of motorsport where all different types of cars/series are so specialized these days, I feel that Ambrose is a success in the Cup series already. Some of the best racers in the states have absolutely flopped in the Cup series or have raced for decades with 2 wins or less to show for (some with none whatsoever), and for him to bring home two trophies in his years in the ranks is success. Now how he measures is probably different than mine.
Quote:
Those dinosaurs make great racing!!

Yes they are from the Mesozoic era, but over the years, American stockcars have produced most of the best finishes in motorracing that I have seen, and the one yesterday goes damn near the top.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 02:59 (Ref:3119600)   #32
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR has a key element that V8 Supercars lack, and that is for the horsepower they are a little underengineered (via a tight rule book).

The driver hence becomes the key element, not the car.

V8 Supercars are over engineered, so we get too much follow the leader. The only solution V8 Supercars has for this at the moment is the hard/soft tyre mix in races to put teams on different strategies.

Take some trye and wing out of the V8 Supercars please, listen to the fans, not the drivers who all want boring perfect race cars.

Oh, awesome job Marcos. Bet Murph was cheering for Kes though.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 03:07 (Ref:3119603)   #33
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
NASCAR has a key element that V8 Supercars lack, and that is for the horsepower they are a little underengineered (via a tight rule book).

V8 Supercars are over engineered, so we get too much follow the leader. The only solution V8 Supercars has for this at the moment is the hard/soft tyre mix in races to put teams on different strategies.

Take some trye and wing out of the V8 Supercars please, listen to the fans, not the drivers who all want boring perfect race cars.

DON'T mention the "b" word!!!........every time I mention that word they come at me with all guns blazing!!!

Marcos Ambrose is the best tin-top driver ever to come out of Australia.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 03:10 (Ref:3119605)   #34
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
What a great win he has just had - exactly what he needs to reinvigorate himself for the bigger goals he has set himself. My family sat and watched the last 15 laps again last night (well the youngest boy watched the whole race, he's hooked) and I can't remember a more exciting finish since Bathurst 2007.
My friend from OZ who invited me to stay at her Blue Mountains home and took me around Mount Panorama before I knew what V8 Supercars were when I went to live in Australia a few years ago, posted a picture of Marcos doing a bunout on the WGI course.

I was at Watkins Glen this weekend when I saw her facebook post and responded, "damn... the race hasn't even started yet and you already post the winner!?" LOL

she was right.... watching the race though from the track, it looked like it could be anybody's race. A lot of things happened that could have turned out differently.

but I guess it made for a good result the way things turned out, obviously everybody is buzzing about Marcos and NASCAR
Old 14 Aug 2012, 03:27 (Ref:3119615)   #35
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
forgot to add that of all the races I volunteered for since I've been back to the US:

Ozzie and Kiwi drivers have won every Indycar and NASCAR event I marshalled
Old 14 Aug 2012, 03:40 (Ref:3119617)   #36
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post

That was my point about "dinosaurs". Over recent years ( 10!!) the Nascar road courses have easily been far more fun to watch and get excited about than Aus V8 Taxis.The ovals are an acquired taste--the more you watch the more interesting it gets.
The key is as Davester says-- Aus cars are engineered past the point.Next years cars are likely to be better handling again.
If i want to see cars that are designed to handle--(& I do!!) I will watch Sports/GT cars. What the taxis can do is get some real racing going for it--like Nascar has !! Now that was ENTERTAINING!!
Old 14 Aug 2012, 04:32 (Ref:3119631)   #37
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer View Post
forgot to add that of all the races I volunteered for since I've been back to the US:

In that case your services are required at next weekend's Michigan Sprint race. Your attendance is crucial
Old 14 Aug 2012, 06:10 (Ref:3119641)   #38
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
DON'T mention the "b" word!!!........every time I mention that word they come at me with all guns blazing!!!

GT racing is boring...plz dont hurt me bluesport.

Puuuuhleaaaaase , We all know Whincup is a better/faster driver then Ambroseo.
if , and thats a big if, he wanted to compete in Nascar he'd be struggling on the Ovals like ambroseo too..but definatley up their in the mix in the Road races haha.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 06:16 (Ref:3119642)   #39
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer View Post

well keep marshalling til NASCAR finishers this Year, i think ambroseo mite hav a chance this year
Old 14 Aug 2012, 06:27 (Ref:3119643)   #40
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=davester;3119600]NASCAR has a key element that V8 Supercars lack, and that is for the horsepower they are a little underengineered (via a tight rule book).

No mate the main element that Nascar have over V8 is that they are not afraid to rub panels and give a push here and there. In the V8 if you think about giving someone a tap, they nearly issue a penalty before it happens.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 06:30 (Ref:3119645)   #41
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Marcos Ambrose is the best tin-top driver ever to come out of Australia.[/QUOTE]

What about Brian Muir.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 07:09 (Ref:3119656)   #42
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downoz View Post

What about Brian Muir.[/QUOTE]

You would need to be 2000 years old to know who you are refferring to !!
Old 14 Aug 2012, 07:31 (Ref:3119668)   #43
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
What about Brian Muir.
You would need to be 2000 years old to know who you are refferring to !![/QUOTE]

Well then I'm stuffed.........I'm only 1990 years old.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 08:59 (Ref:3119705)   #44
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You would need to be 2000 years old to know who you are refferring to !!
Doesn't matter how long ago they raced, Yogi still might have been better.

Add Frank Gardner to the list as well.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 09:12 (Ref:3119710)   #45
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Puuuuhleaaaaase , We all know Whincup is a better/faster driver then Ambroseo.
if , and thats a big if, he wanted to compete in Nascar he'd be struggling on the Ovals like ambroseo too..but definatley up their in the mix in the Road races haha.
Maybe. But until he steps away from where he is now, into a strange country (and I mean strange...), into a very different type of car and race series to what hes been accustomed to you'll never know...
Old 14 Aug 2012, 09:13 (Ref:3119712)   #46
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
[QUOTE=Downoz; What about Brian Muir.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Doesn't matter how long ago they raced, Yogi still might have been better.

Add Frank Gardner to the list as well.
My comment has opened up some intelligent debate........was Brian Muir that good? Please tell us more.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3119721)   #47
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
http://www.lotus30.com/Resources/Art...r-Obituary.pdf

That is the Obituary to Brian, did a bit in his life, and I am only 63 years old, heaven forbid he raced a EH, against the imported stuff.

Have a read of that.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 09:59 (Ref:3119732)   #48
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downoz View Post
http://www.lotus30.com/Resources/Art...r-Obituary.pdf

That is the Obituary to Brian, did a bit in his life, and I am only 63 years old, heaven forbid he raced a EH, against the imported stuff.

Have a read of that.
Downoz, thankyou very much, that is a fabulous read and I am so greatful that you have taken the time to make us aware of Brian's amazing career........I must go back and read it again when the effects of the wine wear off........Marcos is now number two until someone posts a link on Frank Gardiner.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 10:08 (Ref:3119738)   #49
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Downoz, thankyou very much, that is a fabulous read and I am so greatful that you have taken the time to make us aware of Brian's amazing career........I must go back and read it again when the effects of the wine wear off........Marcos is now number two until someone posts a link on Frank Gardiner.
This guy would definately be at # 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zavsd6etz_Q
Old 14 Aug 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3119745)   #50
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Here is some from Wikki, on Frank, brilliant driver as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_G...(racing_driver)