Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Jun 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3262734)   #51
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
^^^^hear, hear!
Old 14 Jun 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3262840)   #52
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
Chunder, I hear what you say about Le Mans. Before I went I would have said very much the same. I never used to like endurance racing. It was cold and usually wet, and I didn't get why it was so interesting. If you gave me 20-some-odd open wheelers fighting it out for an hour and a half or so, I was thrilled.

I found as I got older I had more patience. I started going to more endurance races almost by default when CART, and then Champ Car, imploded. But the nuances captured me. Keeping a lap chart in my head for 26 cars is one thing. For 50, in multiple classes, with different pit stop windows? Whoa.

I went to Le Mans for the first time in 2004, auditioning for a spot on the commissaire crew at poste 61. Sure, I'd seen "that movie." I'd grown up on stories of my dad going to Sebring in the '50s as a mechanic for a works team. I'd been a marshal for more than 20 years. I thought I knew what it would be like.

I was incredibly wrong.

The first time I stood at the braking point for the second chicane with a flag in my hand, watching the prototypes come over the humps on Le Hunaudières in the early-evening sunshine, it all changed. Now my year goes "from June to June," and I don't even mind the outrageous amount of money it costs me to get myself from the west coast of Canada to France, just to stand in the rain and shiver in the cold in the middle of the night with a flag in my hand. Well, I don't mind much.

The one thing I've noticed about Le Mans, though, is that people either LOVE it or HATE it if they go. No in-betweens. But please don't deny the people who love it the opportunity to do just that. Some people don't enjoy Christmas all that much, either!
keke
Great post
Old 14 Jun 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3262844)   #53
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
In reply to some people who don't just take umbridge at everything I say rather than reading it. I have been to a few endurance events actually. So I have given it a go. And sorry but unless you are driving or in the pitlane I struggle to understand the appeal.

And I guess part of the reason it frustrates me so, is that this forum is just taken over while there are other good things on at the same time.

I do resent the gang up mentality of Le Mans fans, the defensive element. But I can understand it, it's your baby and the main thing you look forward to. I am lucky I have variety in my motorsport life.

Enjoy the rain and the race and drive home safely.

All part of the game show dont you know x

Been repped out of the house lol.
Pointless post award goes too ?

Grow up dude !
Old 14 Jun 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3262847)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr View Post
I'm vaguely addicted...i think so as despite it occasionally seeming like a wonderful nightmare, by Sunday night i'm already thinking "i wonder if i should have done this, or gone there, i'll do it next year for sure..." doh!

What, you mean like staying for more than 5 minutes at the Tenths meeting......?
Old 14 Jun 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3262855)   #55
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I respect (maybe too strong a word) your opinion. But if it annoys you so much, why do you even click on the threads, let alone post "I don't like it!" all the time? It's trolling, plain a simple.

"It's my right to be outraged!"
no its called an opinion, if you dont like what he said, just ignore it. simple.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 00:34 (Ref:3262869)   #56
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
What, you mean like staying for more than 5 minutes at the Tenths meeting......?
Touche!
Old 15 Jun 2013, 07:08 (Ref:3262918)   #57
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I am not addicted to Le Mans, I can go almost a year between visits, well except when the classic is on.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3262952)   #58
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If we would have a contest of most addictive tenther I think you're a top 3
Old 15 Jun 2013, 10:42 (Ref:3262973)   #59
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=chunder;3262495]I never will and never have understood the addiction to this race from any real RACING fan.

Chunder a real racing fan actually goes to the event to experience it. Watching on the TV doesn't come close. I've spoken to drivers who were fans before they even drove at LM but still attended as spectators and I would suggest they are real Racing fans too. If you haven't been you will never get it but thats a good thing because if everyone realised what a good event it is the ACO might have to cap the amount of spectators they have just like they do in F1 and if it goes the way of F1 it would be a huge shame. Nuf said
Old 15 Jun 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3263000)   #60
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So each year, we are nearly 250000 misunderstood people.What a mystery..........
Old 16 Jun 2013, 04:52 (Ref:3263278)   #61
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I feel so unlucky and disadvantaged!
Old 17 Jun 2013, 21:11 (Ref:3264013)   #62
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had a revelation today

I finally found something to compare to your beloved "race"

It's called Glastonbury. My friends all used to go, they would say they went to see a few bands and they probably did.

but mainly they went to get utterly off their tree take some stuff they wouldn't normally take and enjoy the experience and atmosphere.

Obviously they asked me many times if I wanted to go, but I don't drink and I don't do other stuff, so for me although I might have enjoyed a lot of it, it seemed you had to be fairly well cut to really get the most out of it so I never really had the desire to go.

But blimey, do they all let you know how amazing it was and how it was the best thing ever!

Ok you guys judge me completely because I am on the wind up and taking the mick out of your entrancement with this strange place.

But I would probably be defensive about the Nordschliefe, that to me has a special feel about it. Not just history, but fear.

I have been to Le Mans with Elf to watch some local racing and though clearly nowhere near the same as when this race is on the place for me doesn't have that same feeling, maybe the setting, the look, but it doesn't feel special. It just feels like Spa?

You will all say, of course not coz its not Le Mans time, and I agree, But being near the Ring even when Gunther is going round in a Golf is just amazing, and for my mates who are not at all interested in this sort of stuff normally.

I guess to sum up, Le Mans is like Glasto coz for most of you its an experience. For me the racing needs to be paramount, like the music would be. The epicentre of why I am there. After watching a couple of endurance races, I just don't see the attraction unless you are driving or in a team, sorry. As A fan there simply isn't enough to hold me for that long! You guys seem to be able to get into watching these limpet cars battering round. I admit they are spectacular for an hour or so.

It used to be coz of Jaguar, or Aston or Bentley, but now it seems to be a good excuse to have a knees up, drive your old car over, get away from the missus and kids, stay in a tent, have a wander and maybe watch some cars. Basically a music festival without music and with rather boring cars. (they are to me sorry these days)

I do understand that, but I can do that loads of times a year at loads of different events, not just Le Mans.

And believe me after talking to a few mates, I am far from alone! OK its a very popular event, but sports car racing as a fan attendee is not every popular anywhere else in the world, and there is a good reason for that.

Hype, history and habit are what Le Mans has that they don't, and that seems to make all the difference.

So enjoy the festival, and remember this is a forum, its just a game show x
Old 17 Jun 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3264016)   #63
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Decent post mate, not that I agree with all of it, but no matter. History and habit, for sure, in bucket loads, but hype - in motor racing terms, no I don't think there's much of that at all.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3264019)   #64
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Decent post mate, not that I agree with all of it, but no matter. History and habit, for sure, in bucket loads, but hype - in motor racing terms, no I don't think there's much of that at all.
I genuinly agree with this.
Each to their own, and we can't all be equally passionate about the same things, that would just be boring (*cough*Soccer*cough*).
The only hyped things in Motorsport I can think of was a certain german fellow
Old 17 Jun 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3264030)   #65
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
'Was' or 'is'........?
Old 17 Jun 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3264031)   #66
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
'Was' or 'is'........?
Isn't it the same one?
Old 17 Jun 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3264036)   #67
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Probably!

Anyhow.....

It's quite funny - chunder will love this - James and I thought of Mr C as we were at scrutineering today - for eight and a half hours!!! We just wondered what you would have made of that?!!!

We had a great time
Old 18 Jun 2013, 05:28 (Ref:3264138)   #68
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Luckily for us not all motor racing fans like exactly the same thing, there is room in this sport for all types, which is good news for us as otherwise sportscar racing would not have a feeder series
Old 18 Jun 2013, 15:00 (Ref:3264377)   #69
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The odd thing is

I can watch a production car trial, a bike enduro, speedway, drag racing, VSCC, rallycross, stage rally! Anything

Pretty much the only things I really don't get are the two biggest motorsport events in the world! NASCAR and Le Mans. I can even manage F1 and MotoGP, right now two of the more boring categories of motorsport!!

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the endeavour. AS A DRIVER! But as a fan, I guess it just doesn't hold enough. And I guess part of my sarcasm as what you actually get out if it!!

NASCAR is similar, for a lot of Americans, they watch the start, a few laps, go to the cooler, grab a beer, have some food, buy a cap, then come back for the last quarter!

And you only watched scrutineering coz there wasnt much else to do! What they should do is chuck in a motocross or some drag racing or drifting or a stunt show to showcase some other stuff! karting, rally rides etc etc. Its not like they dont have the money or captive audience for a few days.

But then, you would probably still go and watch scrutineering!
Old 18 Jun 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3264389)   #70
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
And you only watched scrutineering coz there wasnt much else to do!
Oh no - categorically not the case. I went to scrutineering for the first time in 2010, decided to give it a miss in '11, and regretted it, so we did it again this year and last. It's part of the Le Mans 'experience' that the thousands there yesterday and on Sunday understand and want to be part of. At the risk of being dull - and I'm in far too good a mood being here to be at all annoyed with your view - when you haven't done it, you can't possibly get it, but I accept there will be those for whom it would be comparable to watching paint dry. Not us.....
Old 19 Jun 2013, 03:47 (Ref:3264668)   #71
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I guess to sum up, Le Mans is like Glasto x
Chunder I think you hit the nail on the head , I've often described it as the Glastonbury of motorsport, with the biggest 'free' car show you can go to, by walking around the campsites.
For me its the atmosphere that is unique, I've been to many GP's and other motorsport events both as a spectator and the other side of the fence and they don't even come close. I think its just the volume of spectators, grid size and the noise. Where else do you get such a diverse field of engines & cars?
Overall it hits all the senses , sight, sound , Smell (BBQ's , High Octane Fuel & French food), Touch (you can actually get close to the machinery) and Taste (French food & Beer).
Plus the fact you can make the whole experience last week and meet up with friends old and new.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 06:43 (Ref:3264700)   #72
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Old 24 Jun 2013, 17:33 (Ref:3269041)   #73
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Well, what a shot in the arm this year was!
Eventhough it has left me with very mixed emotions, it impresses me how strong feelings the place ewokes! Good or sad, the place is magical!
Old 24 Jun 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3269043)   #74
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not a regular at either LM24 or Glastonbury but I've been to both just often enough to recognise the comparison, and to understand that it is mostly because there are an infinite number of ways to enjoy them, from hedonistic mayhem to pure music or motorsport geekery. I suppose the biggest difference is that Glastonbury is a little bit like having an F1 race, an endurance race, some historics, some rallying and some drag racing all at the same event.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 07:25 (Ref:3269373)   #75
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Well we took a newbie to LM this year who has been an F1 fan all his life. As we walked away from the Grandstand on Sunday afternoon I asked him how Le Mans compared to F1 - he said F1 is just a walk in the park compared to this and to him F1 would never be the same again..... as he promised me his deposit for Le Mans 2014