Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Nov 2020, 00:02 (Ref:4017362)   #376
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So far we’ve got TPC/Excelr8 tie up. Who else? I am sure WSR and Dynamics will back, as should PMR, with factory backing again. MB will be back with Hill. If they stay with Honda, it will be the FK8. That would make sense. BTC, would be a surprise not to see them back. What car with Cicely switch to? Ford perhaps? HARD, will they run anything alongside the Cupras? Should see Parker and Motorbase back, but still a lot of unanswered questions when it comes to who will run what and who will drive for who
Old 17 Nov 2020, 04:59 (Ref:4017373)   #377
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So far we’ve got TPC/Excelr8 tie up. Who else? I am sure WSR and Dynamics will back, as should PMR, with factory backing again. MB will be back with Hill. If they stay with Honda, it will be the FK8. That would make sense. BTC, would be a surprise not to see them back. What car with Cicely switch to? Ford perhaps? HARD, will they run anything alongside the Cupras? Should see Parker and Motorbase back, but still a lot of unanswered questions when it comes to who will run what and who will drive for who
To have factory backing again, surely you should have had it before LOL??
Old 17 Nov 2020, 08:18 (Ref:4017388)   #378
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Pick any manufacturer on the grid today, and look at the range of models they are committed to beyond 2025. I'd be surprised if you can name a single one who doesn't have a car that isn't eligible for the BTCC going forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Two straight away.. MG and Subaru
A) MG and Subaru were not on the grid this season
B) MG5 and Subaru Impreza would both be eligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
What's Nissan selling that isn't a Micra?
Not on the grid this season, but the Ariya would be eligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Infiniti.

Honda, other than electric?

Toyota (ICE)?
Infiniti - true. The current Q50 would be eligible beyond 2025, but they have withdrawn from Western Europe. I guess you could look at Nissan?

Honda - 2022 Civic is being revealed today.
Toyota - Camry refresh due in 2021, with a new model in 2024.

The lack of ICE models will become irrelevant soon, when the UK prohibits the sale of ICE models from 2030.
I agree entirely that there seems to be a prevalence of small SUVs in most brands' range - but I disagree with the view that there are going to be no NGTC compatible base cars available.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 08:29 (Ref:4017389)   #379
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
Yet another stupid looking compact SUV type car IMO.

I wonder what will happen in the long term for the BTCC car options, given car makers are dropping suitable cars for BTCC in favour of everything being a bloody SUV on stilts, not to mention the amount of idiots buying them in droves and droves.
I had thought by now that the EU might have moved to legislate against OR at the very least hike taxes on SUVs to try and diminish the effect of climate change by private mobility. However, who runs the EU? Germany. The lobbyists for the Kraut giants alone will no doubt be behind this not happening.

Why do people buy them? Herd instinct and copy catting. The size of the SUV is seen as prestige - my willy is bigger than yours nonsense. They are all hopeless at handling, but at town speeds ferrying unfit overweight future problems for the NHS (or children as they are otherwise known) to school and back it makes no odds.

It's only when you see the tanks on the other side of the pond that you realise how $%&#£@ up we are as a society. You don't need a box bigger than a Vietnamese families home to take your kids to school. Or rather, you do: it's called the school bus.

<disengage rant mode>

Ford in the US is out of the car market (other than the Mustang). Yanks only buy SUV tanks and enormous puck ups. I predict other car brands ceasing to build what we identify as "cars" before mid point this decade.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 09:08 (Ref:4017394)   #380
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Not on the grid this season, but the Ariya would be eligible.

Infiniti - true. The current Q50 would be eligible beyond 2025, but they have withdrawn from Western Europe. I guess you could look at Nissan?

Honda - 2022 Civic is being revealed today.
Toyota - Camry refresh due in 2021, with a new model in 2024.

The lack of ICE models will become irrelevant soon, when the UK prohibits the sale of ICE models from 2030.
I agree entirely that there seems to be a prevalence of small SUVs in most brands' range - but I disagree with the view that there are going to be no NGTC compatible base cars available.

As you've said, there's still plenty of models around that are suited to NGTC and in particular the Golf/Focus-sized hatchbacks are still selling very well (at least over here), so they'll not be completely phased out in the next 5 years. Some manufacturers may do that, but pretty certainly not all of them. The larger saloons are a different story of course, I doubt we'll see any new direct competitors for the 3 series in the BTCC in the future.

The actual challenge for the BTCC as you mentioned will be the shift away from IC engines in the future. The introduction of the hybrid systems buys them a bit of time I think, but they'll have to look at the development of ETCR and how it's taken up by other series and the fans. Besides that, the circuits will have to think about the future as well. BTCC with its ~20min races may be well suited for electrification, but do places like Croft, Knockhill, Oulton Park have the necessary supply infrastructure to simultaneously charge 20+ race cars without causing a blackout in a radius of 20 miles around the circuit?
Old 17 Nov 2020, 09:14 (Ref:4017396)   #381
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I had thought by now that the EU might have moved to legislate against OR at the very least hike taxes on SUVs to try and diminish the effect of climate change by private mobility. However, who runs the EU? Germany. The lobbyists for the Kraut giants alone will no doubt be behind this not happening.

Why do people buy them? Herd instinct and copy catting. The size of the SUV is seen as prestige - my willy is bigger than yours nonsense. They are all hopeless at handling, but at town speeds ferrying unfit overweight future problems for the NHS (or children as they are otherwise known) to school and back it makes no odds.

It's only when you see the tanks on the other side of the pond that you realise how $%&#£@ up we are as a society. You don't need a box bigger than a Vietnamese families home to take your kids to school. Or rather, you do: it's called the school bus.

<disengage rant mode>

Ford in the US is out of the car market (other than the Mustang). Yanks only buy SUV tanks and enormous puck ups. I predict other car brands ceasing to build what we identify as "cars" before mid point this decade.
Are big SUV's already taxed? I thought the road tax for big engined vehicles in UK is higher - although like here in Ireland Hybryd makes a mockery of it I drove a Range RoverHybryd around Cork for a day and the ICE never turned off!
Old 17 Nov 2020, 09:23 (Ref:4017398)   #382
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tja View Post
The introduction of the hybrid systems buys them a bit of time I think, but they'll have to look at the development of ETCR and how it's taken up by other series and the fans. Besides that, the circuits will have to think about the future as well. BTCC with its ~20min races may be well suited for electrification, but do places like Croft, Knockhill, Oulton Park have the necessary supply infrastructure to simultaneously charge 20+ race cars without causing a blackout in a radius of 20 miles around the circuit?
ETCR cars currently cost the same as the old TC1 cars ($1m +) The tech would have to get a lot lot lot cheaper for it to trickle down to regional touring car series.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 09:33 (Ref:4017402)   #383
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Are big SUV's already taxed? I thought the road tax for big engined vehicles in UK is higher - although like here in Ireland Hybryd makes a mockery of it I drove a Range RoverHybryd around Cork for a day and the ICE never turned off!
I just plugged in a GLC as a random small/mid-size SUV to see how it compares with a Range Rover.

GLC (all models except hybrid) - £475 per year. First year ranges from £540 for the smallest diesels to £2175 for the AMG 63.
GLC EQ - £465 per year. First year is £15.

Range Rover (all models) - £475 per year. First year ranges from £1850 for the hybrid to £2175 for the V8.

So ignoring the first year tax - there is no difference in road tax between a small diesel-engined GLC and a large V8 supercharged RR.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 09:38 (Ref:4017404)   #384
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I just plugged in a GLC as a random small/mid-size SUV to see how it compares with a Range Rover.

GLC (all models except hybrid) - £475 per year. First year ranges from £540 for the smallest diesels to £2175 for the AMG 63.
GLC EQ - £465 per year. First year is £15.

Range Rover (all models) - £475 per year. First year ranges from £1850 for the hybrid to £2175 for the V8.

So ignoring the first year tax - there is no difference in road tax between a small diesel-engined GLC and a large V8 supercharged RR.
So the Government are not serious then are they?......The reality is a small SUV like an Opel Mokka is no more or less harmful than the Astra its based on
Old 17 Nov 2020, 09:45 (Ref:4017406)   #385
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
ETCR cars currently cost the same as the old TC1 cars ($1m +) The tech would have to get a lot lot lot cheaper for it to trickle down to regional touring car series.
Interesting, didn't know these numbers, thanks for adding them. True, we probably won't see them in national series any time soon. Still, for the BTCC they will be interesting to keep an eye on. At the very least to see how much interest there is from manufacturers and fans in the technology on circuit and - knowing Eurosport - what mistakes to avoid...
Old 17 Nov 2020, 09:46 (Ref:4017407)   #386
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
So the Government are not serious then are they?......The reality is a small SUV like an Opel Mokka is no more or less harmful than the Astra its based on
Probably not the best model to pick - the only variant I can find listed is the Mokka-e that has a zero tax.

I've had a look at the GLC EQ compared to the C Class.

GLC EQ 300 e - £465 per year. (CO2 is 59WLTP).
C Class EQ 300 e - £465 per year. (CO2 is 34 WLTP).

In the case of the Mercedes, I wouldn't say the SUV body is less harmful when it has nearly double the CO2 emissions of the saloon on the same platform.
Which I think backs up your point that they are not serious about forcing people into smaller engines.
I'm not sure how you can justify the same annual tax for a V8 supercharged Range Rover (CO2 318 WLTP) and a C Class saloon with a 2L engine?
Old 17 Nov 2020, 10:00 (Ref:4017412)   #387
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tja View Post
BTCC with its ~20min races may be well suited for electrification, but do places like Croft, Knockhill, Oulton Park have the necessary supply infrastructure to simultaneously charge 20+ race cars without causing a blackout in a radius of 20 miles around the circuit?
A few options are available;
- Use generators burning clean fuels (which is what some of the electric series are doing)
- Circuits install big storage batteries which can then provide the necessary peak demands during race weekends
- Circuits upgrade their electrical infrastructure as they will need to support charging at some point.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 10:05 (Ref:4017414)   #388
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Probably not the best model to pick - the only variant I can find listed is the Mokka-e that has a zero tax.

I've had a look at the GLC EQ compared to the C Class.

GLC EQ 300 e - £465 per year. (CO2 is 59WLTP).
C Class EQ 300 e - £465 per year. (CO2 is 34 WLTP).

In the case of the Mercedes, I wouldn't say the SUV body is less harmful when it has nearly double the CO2 emissions of the saloon on the same platform.
Which I think backs up your point that they are not serious about forcing people into smaller engines.
I'm not sure how you can justify the same annual tax for a V8 supercharged Range Rover (CO2 318 WLTP) and a C Class saloon with a 2L engine?
The yearly VED rate is standardised across all cars now regardless of emissions. You get charged more for £40k+ value cars or 0 for electric
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

It is only first year rates which are based on emissions - the idea that it promotes buying the less polluting one in the first place. However in practise, it gets lost in the monthly PCP/HP/PCH payments so no one notices the difference.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 10:17 (Ref:4017418)   #389
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
ETCR, cars that weigh 1.5 ton and a Clio cup could probably corner faster...
Old 17 Nov 2020, 10:37 (Ref:4017423)   #390
antnee
Veteran

Another point on the cost of electric bits for a race car. The BTCC could use the equivalent of what comes in a Tesla Model 3 Performance - maybe with a slightly larger battery.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 11:50 (Ref:4017434)   #391
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
A few options are available;
- Use generators burning clean fuels (which is what some of the electric series are doing)
- Circuits install big storage batteries which can then provide the necessary peak demands during race weekends
- Circuits upgrade their electrical infrastructure as they will need to support charging at some point.
at knockhill it is a genny that supplies the track during daytime, the mains grid supply is barely enough for lights and the tea urns, come btcc it is gennys that supply the teams. for the hybrid era it will be gennys brought in for the race weekend,
Old 17 Nov 2020, 17:08 (Ref:4017482)   #392
Pringles
Rookie

Pringles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The MG5 Estate wouldn't be eligible as far as I know because its an electric only variant here. The new MG5 saloon as recently shown won't be coming to the UK.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 17:16 (Ref:4017483)   #393
Pringles
Rookie

MSV seem to be jumping the gun a bit on selling tickets for next years Btcc.

It's unlikely we get out of the current type of restrictions we are in before next winter as the earliest by the sounds of things, so I have a feeling it will be another year of not spectators for at least most of the series.

I really hope not but can't see things getting much easier for at least the next 6 months minimum.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 17:32 (Ref:4017484)   #394
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
The MG5 Estate wouldn't be eligible as far as I know because its an electric only variant here. The new MG5 saloon as recently shown won't be coming to the UK.
I didn't realise that being an EV mattered?
Old 17 Nov 2020, 17:34 (Ref:4017485)   #395
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder if MSV know something we don't. Things are looking to be back to normal by spring, so I wonder if that's what they are planning for. I am almost certain we will see spectators back by 2021 at some point. It hasn't really been the same without fans there
Old 17 Nov 2020, 17:35 (Ref:4017488)   #396
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Have MSV put the prices up? I never got around to buying any tickets for 2020 and don't remember what I paid in 2019, but I don't recall them being that expensive.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 18:05 (Ref:4017500)   #397
Pringles
Rookie

Quote:
I didn't realise that being an EV mattered?
I thought the vehicle had to be available with a road going ICE as part of the regulations?
Old 17 Nov 2020, 18:07 (Ref:4017501)   #398
Pringles
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Have MSV put the prices up? I never got around to buying any tickets for 2020 and don't remember what I paid in 2019, but I don't recall them being that expensive.
I paid £31 for weekend admission last couple of years when I went to MSV circuits. Its up to £38 now for weekend admission.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 18:14 (Ref:4017504)   #399
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I thought the vehicle had to be available with a road going ICE as part of the regulations?
Possibly, I'm not certain.
I know that if there isn't a suitable engine from the family range you have to use the TOCA unit.
I was assuming an EV would be in the same situation?
Old 17 Nov 2020, 18:21 (Ref:4017506)   #400
Pringles
Rookie

Quote:
Possibly, I'm not certain.

I know that if there isn't a suitable engine from the family range you have to use the TOCA unit.

I was assuming an EV would be in the same situation?
Not sure then but I as I said I thought it being an EV only car here would mean it isn't eligible. Hopefully someone can confirm.